Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zagrod posted:

Sweet. There's also a second room - 1:1 model of our 3d artists' room. It's nearby Kamiko's apartment

So you work at Flying Wild Hog? Man, amazing work. I never expected this. I can't believe you guys are actually selling it for $35/40, this is some really good work. The amount of stuff crammed in on top of SW1 is just nuts, and really transforms the game.

Michaellaneous posted:

Zaphod making a thread about a game *and* having good opinions about it?
What is this nonsense?

You mean you didn't play Doom 4 or Splatoon? Tsk Tsk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Geight posted:

I like the game's de-emphasis on the parts of Diablo I don't like (min/maxing item stats) but I do wish the UI didn't also follow that philosophy. Being able to tag stuff as junk is great, but I'd kill for a "sell all junk" button, for example.

I remember seeing a sell all junk button. It didn't do anything when I clicked it so I assume you have to tag stuff first.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man I really want to play this now I'm finished with doom but not sure if my laptop can run it. don't wanna wait for console release.

my specs:
Core i7-4720HQ 4-Core 2.6GHz
GeForce GTX 960M 2GB
16GB

could I get 60fps/high on this poo poo

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alan Is More Upset posted:

The sell button is at the top left of the shop screens. I don't blame you on not seeing it. Its not in a very intuitive spot.

Thank you!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MinibarMatchman posted:

man I really want to play this now I'm finished with doom but not sure if my laptop can run it. don't wanna wait for console release.

my specs:
Core i7-4720HQ 4-Core 2.6GHz
GeForce GTX 960M 2GB
16GB

could I get 60fps/high on this poo poo

You definitely meet the minimum specs easy, the problem is that 960M. But if you can play doom well enough on that thing, it should handle SW2 about the same, maybe slightly lower frame rates but you can always tweak settings. It runs pretty well, although Doom is pretty amazingly optimized to Id's credit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

You definitely meet the minimum specs easy, the problem is that 960M. But if you can play doom well enough on that thing, it should handle SW2 about the same, maybe slightly lower frame rates but you can always tweak settings. It runs pretty well, although Doom is pretty amazingly optimized to Id's credit.

Running it fine at 1080p on a mix of high-ultra on a 960 GTM here. It should be fine.

(weirdly enough, DOOM 4 ran like poo poo for me)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

I remember seeing a sell all junk button. It didn't do anything when I clicked it so I assume you have to tag stuff first.

That might just be the "sell junk" tab, which if you have junk tagged, will take you to an inventory screen of stuff that you still have to sell individually.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

That button just brings you to a page the displays only your junk, which you then have to sell individually. Why? :iiam:

efb

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Dumb question, but how the heck do you even start coop? I'm trying with my buddy, and set Invite only game for 2 players. Invite doesn't seem to actually do anything?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Attestant posted:

Dumb question, but how the heck do you even start coop? I'm trying with my buddy, and set Invite only game for 2 players. Invite doesn't seem to actually do anything?

If you're still in the first mission you'll want to finish that before you invite someone.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

One other tiny thing that bugs me: I've never been a fan of multiplayer systems where other players see you differently than how you see yourself, a la Assassin's Creed Unity or America's Army, and it seems doubly stupid in this game where the multiplayer isn't organic and have to explicitly join other people's games, where their progress is not saved to your game.

In fairness though this is mostly because the other ninja skins look way cooler than Lo Wang himself. Exhibit A:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah both players have to complete the first level or two up to the hub world before you can co-op, you have to complete the tutorial stuff solo.

Also heads up', story/mission progress only seems to be tracked for the host. So if you co-op with a buddy and beat a bunch of levels and then go solo, you'll have those levels beaten saved but your buddy will have to beat them still. No biggie though since I've heard the game isn't insanely long and you end up re-playing areas eventually anyways (like Diablo) but something to know ahead of time.

You should still keep your loot and experience and everything.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The King Skeletor seems kind of broken on Insane, at least if you pick it up early. I went from struggling in every fight and never having any ammo to mowing everything down. I'll probably just stop using it but if you want to cheese Insane go pick it up.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
My main weapon is the two small plasma blades that shoot blade projectiles. They seem very overpowered.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Most broken skill in the game? You get more chi during vanish than it takes to cast it. Sure it costs a lot but nothing crazy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jusupov posted:

Most broken skill in the game? You get more chi during vanish than it takes to cast it. Sure it costs a lot but nothing crazy.

Yeah first thing I did was dump all my skill points into that. It seems extremely powerful, means you can self-heal yourself anytime and just keep going and going.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah first thing I did was dump all my skill points into that. It seems extremely powerful, means you can self-heal yourself anytime and just keep going and going.

Technically the first skill you should dump skillpoints into is XP Gain skill.
I don't even know why game devs let you level up xp gain that way. It just makes the play get it first, if they want to be optimal.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, it feels exactly like that.
Although, unlike Darksiders 2, the game still kicks rear end.
Yeah, it really is. Though like others I am not really sure how weapon and skill balance is supposed to work.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Jack Trades posted:

Technically the first skill you should dump skillpoints into is XP Gain skill.
I don't even know why game devs let you level up xp gain that way. It just makes the play get it first, if they want to be optimal.
I got items that give 9% karma and you can equip 3 of those.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jusupov posted:

I got items that give 9% karma and you can equip 3 of those.

Saaame heeere and the sperg in me won't let me switch them to something more fun.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I'm playing on hard and haven't put any points into +XP or used any +XP items and its fine. gently caress optimization.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Did anybody answer or know if the stat boosts on weapons affect you only if you wield them or if you just have them on your weapon wheel?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Presumably multiplayer difficulty also scales up enemy health on top of the difficulty level itself?

We tried playing with three people on the highest difficulty, and while we had an OK time with managing having to maneuver our asses off to avoid heavy damage from enemies, the amount of health on even moderately basic enemies with a few traits was so ridiculous that it felt like a tedious slog.

There has to be a better way to handle high difficulty than '+90% increased health' especially if it then also scales further with multiple people.

Other than that, and hoping that they patch the hitching when swapping between ranged and melee for some folks, this seems pretty solid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Maybe don't play on the highest difficulty then? :confused:

Never understood the needs for goons to crank to max difficulty and then complain its too hard. That's... why there's options.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haven't played co-op yet, but shouldn't setting the player scaling to a lower number help with bullet-sponges? Like, leave the difficulty high but put the scaling to one or two people.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 14, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do enemy hit points scale up anyway when you play co-op, like in other games?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do enemy hit points scale up anyway when you play co-op, like in other games?

Yep, just like diablo. But then you have difficulty options on top of that.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, just like diablo. But then you have difficulty options on top of that.

Everything else about the difficulty is fine, you get badly punished if you get caught, etc. and that's groovy; it's not that it's too hard, it's that it takes so long to actually kill the enemies that it just gets tedious. Bullet / blade sponginess is the umbrage, not having an issue with it being too hard otherwise.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

So uh boss spoilers. Is there a gimmick for Corrupted Kamiko or does she just take a year to kill on Insane?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Haha watch out for killing (too many?) rabbits.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GaistHeidegger posted:

Everything else about the difficulty is fine, you get badly punished if you get caught, etc. and that's groovy; it's not that it's too hard, it's that it takes so long to actually kill the enemies that it just gets tedious. Bullet / blade sponginess is the umbrage, not having an issue with it being too hard otherwise.

Yeah that is something I saw reviewers mention, with 4 players enemies start to feel kinda bullet spongey.

Having more enemies always feels better than having tougher enemies in FPS games, but the problem is when you budget the graphics to look good you have to pick a certain target. So they go in the middle and make enemies look great and plan on having a X of them in the room at one time, and then if they want to scale up the difficulty for players who want hard mode with 4 players, they can't just spawn 5X enemies without the game slowing down to 10fps, so the only option is bullet spongey.

But you can drop the difficulty and it does reduce enemy HP, so that should help some. And with 4 people you do have more firepower anyways, so on things like bosses they really should have more HP. The problem is the mooks, the mooks should still die easy and there should just be more of them, but its a technical restriction.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Yeah I think I've killed at least four or five demon rabbits at this point. They drop some pretty sweet loot though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shoehead posted:

420 kill rabbits erry day

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah I think I've killed at least four or five demon rabbits at this point. They drop some pretty sweet loot though.

Ten for an achievement

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

This new girl is no Hoji but so far I've enjoyed Wang's conversations with her.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i actually enjoy kamiko's interactions with lo wang. she's nice from an 'outsider' point of view, in that she's not entirely clued in on the absurd poo poo like hoji sort of was. it's fun when they actually manage to get along and crack jokes

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

How many times are you standing still in a game like this

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I really rushed through the tutorial mission, so I may have missed this if it was covered, but if you are using WASD you can double-tap W to sprint like you would in other FPS games where you would hold Shift. This is separate from the Dash move.

I didn't know there was a Sprint until I was playing it with a DS4 and clicked in the left stick. I don't see a way to bind the Sprint function to a distinct key on the keyboard, which is a minor annoyance for me because I use a G13 thumbstick for FPS games and double-tapping a joystick is too slow, but I'm confident that I'll get around this with macros.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Copper Vein posted:

I really rushed through the tutorial mission, so I may have missed this if it was covered, but if you are using WASD you can double-tap W to sprint like you would in other FPS games where you would hold Shift. This is separate from the Dash move.

I didn't know there was a Sprint until I was playing it with a DS4 and clicked in the left stick. I don't see a way to bind the Sprint function to a distinct key on the keyboard, which is a minor annoyance for me because I use a G13 thumbstick for FPS games and double-tapping a joystick is too slow, but I'm confident that I'll get around this with macros.

Yeah the game does give you a popup for the double-W at some point, but they're easy to miss. I found myself wondering if I could rebind it to something like Alt, its not really even all that necessary with how fast jump-dashing is, but tapping W isn't a particularly good feeling. No biggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I discovered the double tap w sprint accidentally when I was trying to do sword combos like in first game where you had to double tap movement keys.

• Locked thread