Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

So maybe I just misunderstood the scene, but was the part in the cafe with the author and flashback, or was he simply having a mental breakdown?

Mental breakdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Allarion posted:

Mental breakdown

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. And speaking of possibly misunderstanding things, I don't know how the author meant for them to be portrayed, but I don't like the two veteran girls. The older one just seems pissed off at everything, while the younger one can't seem to decide if she wants to help the younger actors or protect her own interests. Maybe it's only because we are still in the first half of the show, but none of their intentions seem clear, and seem to only exist to throw Chitose off when she becomes extra smarmy

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Oh god, Yae is as evil as we guessed she was.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. And speaking of possibly misunderstanding things, I don't know how the author meant for them to be portrayed, but I don't like the two veteran girls. The older one just seems pissed off at everything, while the younger one can't seem to decide if she wants to help the younger actors or protect her own interests. Maybe it's only because we are still in the first half of the show, but none of their intentions seem clear, and seem to only exist to throw Chitose off when she becomes extra smarmy

The tall one (whose name I can't remember because it never really comes up) is pretty straightforward. She's very serious about acting. Right now she's on a show with three nobodies who aren't even close to her level, and on top of that it seems nobody on production is trying seriously either. And there's another cour of that to go. So every time she's on screen she's kinda pissed off about something. She also very clearly hates all the non-acting "industry" bits, like the various events and things that aren't Real Serious Acting. She'd probably consider helping Chitose if she thought it would: a) get through, and b) she thought Chitose was properly serious about acting. (I kinda feel like she's on the same level as that brother, actually; the difference being that Chitose is entirely his problem to deal with, since he's not an actor (of whatever kind, I don't think they said) but a manager now.)

Momoka is constantly repeating stuff her dad's said, and she's probably doing the same for stuff her mom's said to her*. She also seems to actually enjoy playing senpai, so long as nobody mentions her mother (which is pretty understandable, given her position). If she doesn't at all enjoy doing all the extra non-recording work, she's at least a good enough sport to keep that to herself. And even the recording work she does is, by her account, "good enough."

They're kinda like two different views on what the job's about : the person who's really passionate about acting and the person who wants their paycheck.

I mean, they both have to help the other three with stuff like those events, because that'd drag them down too (as an aside, I really liked how they just had to share an annoyed glance before coming up with a plan for the episode 1 "unveiling"); but they're not really meant to be mentors or whatever, so they'd probably default to being like in the recordings — make an excuse that you have to leave, knock out your work, and leave the rest to flounder on their own time.

They're both "pros," not kindly senpais or whatever, so if you're thinking about them solely in relation to the three who are slightly more-protagonist-y I can see why you'd not like them much. I think it's pretty great that they're not just accessories orbiting Chitose's little world. So I suppose if I had to say what their "intentions" are, they'd be: 1) work; 2) get paid; 3) try to mitigate the present trainwreck.

Although it seemed like Manger Brother thinks they (or at least Chitose) should be doing more for point three, and I don't really know what he's after. Is his point more "even if the show's utter poo poo, do as good a job as you can so you can get better work properly"? I guess his comment at the end of episode 5 was more about how after taking Momoka's "emulate another role" to heart, she just kinda stopped there to bask in the nice things people said on twitter, rather than continue to be less crap. I mean she's not even slightly trying to hide her awfulness anymore! And although I do love those awful little songs of hers, that's all definitely "stuff you shouldn't be saying in the ready room if you want to keep finding work."

* I think it's pretty funny that Chitose just flat-out repeats things Momoka says to her, because she doesn't manage it with nearly as much finesse as Momoka (also without the "…so my father says" escape valve), which echoes her method of acting. It's great!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
As a side note, did anyone feel the last episode kinda felt a little weirdly paced at parts? Like metal ray, I initially thought there was random flashback not a full on author breakdown. Things just seemed a little wonky, maybe I was just tired though who knows?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't really see how you could parse the author scene as a flashback when the other guy is going "Ehhhh?" and there's the through-line of the nature documentary in the background connecting the scenes and placing them all at the exact same time.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Zenostein posted:

* I think it's pretty funny that Chitose just flat-out repeats things Momoka says to her, because she doesn't manage it with nearly as much finesse as Momoka (also without the "…so my father says" escape valve), which echoes her method of acting. It's great!

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
There is no Kuusure anime

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

I don't really see how you could parse the author scene as a flashback when the other guy is going "Ehhhh?" and there's the through-line of the nature documentary in the background connecting the scenes and placing them all at the exact same time.

There's also the "Season 2 Announced!" books on the table between the two.

Episode 6 spoiler: they finally get new outfits

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Brutal

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

lmao

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

that was amazing

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm dumb and didn't really understand what the spreadsheet at the beginning was about. Did it show Kuzu embezzling funds or just that they were out of budget before the halfway mark

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Erg posted:

I'm dumb and didn't really understand what the spreadsheet at the beginning was about. Did it show Kuzu embezzling funds or just that they were out of budget before the halfway mark

I'm guessing it's spending 1.9 million on the marketing account, unannounced, long after the marketing efforts should be finished.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

nielsm posted:

I'm guessing it's spending 1.9 million on the marketing account, unannounced, long after the marketing efforts should be finished.

Basically Kuzu took a vacation and came up with an excuse for expensing it to his company.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ohhhh okay cool

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Except that sheet has episode production costs in Oct/Nov/Dec, which makes it seem like those are the projected numbers for season 2, since season one began in July and they just held the season end party for it at the end of episode 6 (meaning it's currently late Septemberish in the story?).

My current guess is that it's just showing the estimated sales for season 2, and they are abysmal.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

from audience member to cast member...

also

https://twitter.com/Erietty_55/status/796745576842788864

glad that yae's true dark heart is showing

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
You guys are way overthinking the spreadsheet.

It's just showing that that anime is way into the red. The production costs were $1.2 million but the projected sales don't even come close to that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Wow that episode was brutal. And it looks like next episode will be even worse...

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I wonder what the promotion for the show was/is like. Were the seiyuus advertising a show about the horrible inner workings of anime production in that exact same frame? Do they have to pretend none of that bitterness appears among themselves?

Jarakchan
Mar 17, 2009

Chitose is the worst. I love it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
this is such a shitshow

I mean, not GN, it's a good show, but the kuusure or whatever, and everyone involved in it

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Was there a Kuusure situation IRL?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there's not a specific show that it's meant to map to, but there definitely have been shows with pretty disastrous production

wizard barristars comes to mind as an example no one cares about, there was a recent show (Regalia?) that basically stopped airing and restarted after a break after the first four eps due to production issues, and the God Eater anime was a debacle iirc

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I think Diomedia might be referencing one of their own projects a bit too, but I don't know which one

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

good ep. poor koto, tho.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol I can't believe I missed this.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
How do you pronounce Gi(a)rlish Number?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

horriblePencilist posted:

Garish nightmare.

Can't wait to see what's made Kazuka such a mess of a person~

Well, besides probably 'your mother and father in the countryside are crying.' Theatre family? I'm thinking theatre family. Was it ever mentioned how old she is? Kinda seems like she's way closer to "anime spinster" age, given that chat with Koto.

Also I think my new favorite character is Momoka's producer/manager. She's nice to Momoka and she threatened to kill Kuzu. Perfect!

z0glin Warchief posted:

Except that sheet has episode production costs in Oct/Nov/Dec, which makes it seem like those are the projected numbers for season 2, since season one began in July and they just held the season end party for it at the end of episode 6 (meaning it's currently late Septemberish in the story?).

My current guess is that it's just showing the estimated sales for season 2, and they are abysmal.

Part of the problem is that the disk sales projections from March onward are copy-pasted, with some random marketing expenses in March and April for ??? (S2 commercials?) Not sure what the sudden +30 million yen in April is for, though. Can't be for production costs, because that's only ~2 episodes (from the Oct–Dec run). But it seems that's when they start taking in money for broadcasts again — so I presume that's when the second season starts? There's no way this poo poo'd get re-run, surely.

Man, if only someone'd hold a newspaper up to the camera in a single shot~

This is hella "one time, at band camp…"

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Every time I think Kuzu-P is the absolute worst Chitose butts in.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

ガーリッシュナンバー

Dr. Cuddles
Jul 18, 2010
kuzu is the most destructive force in anime

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Kuzu: a man with no self-preservation instincts.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
at this point ive basically given up on chitose ever becoming a better human being or making a career for herself, i want shibasaki to land a role she can throw herself wholeheartedly into, and momoka to move out of the shadow of her overly facilitative family, and koto to be a cool person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

i want [...] koto to be a cool person

done.

• Locked thread