Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Torn between running screaming from the thread to avoid spoilers--it's an EO game, the maps are the spoilers--and sticking around to see how all the stuff we've been hearing about works in practice. Either way, I'm probably not going to follow this one too closely to preserve at least some of the mystery, so there's little point in submitting a character. But I would very much like to see a Hound, Cestus & Reaper in action, under the banner of Guild Chuunibyou (中二病) (which seems only appropriate, given the thread title, and also several of the chosen characters so far :v: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Item Getter posted:

Are you going to be able to get by with just the Necromancer for healing skills? I haven't used one but it seems like it would be a bit rough without an Herbalist...
Wouldn't be an Etrian LP without the readers going out of their way to gently caress with party composition! Though Dragoon, Fencer, Reaper, Hound, Necromancer is the most sub-optimal party I could think of without repeating classes or sticking front-line attackers in the back row, and even then it's not so much crippled as inefficient. EOV was pretty good about avoiding obvious dead weight in the class line-up.

I'll admit to being disappointed the newest party members didn't have their classes reversed like I thought on first glance. An old woman who trained a bird to punch people for her, and a burly man who attacks by hurling dogs at the enemy both sounded like fine, fine ideas. But you did get two of the best portraits into the guild so I'll overlook it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I find this acceptable. Bring me my signet ring and wax!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

'Leg' in most EO games also stands for 'lower body,' so if the enemy model has a giant tail, leg binds are usually the way to nullify it. Not sure how applicable that is in EOV but the ability to make educated guesses about which binds will be most effective is something I've always appreciated in the series.

Incidentally, does Panic still negate evasion in this one or did they nerf that?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Out of all the races, Lunarians get the worst of it when it comes to portraits. They either lack impact, or they're eyeroll-inducing. Y'all couldn't even make one female necromancer who wasn't laviciously licking their lips, or running around half-naked? And I say this as someone who frequently defends the the variety of portraits Etrian games offer. So if we're going to make a Lunarian Smoke Herbalist, I think there's only one choice...

Name: Magda
Portrait: DLC Medic 2
Voice: 27 (Meek)
Hair: White
Eyes: Red
Personality: Born to a Lunarian clan who took astrology extremely seriously, Magda has an elaborate depiction of her star sign, the Dinogator (may he frolic forever in our hearts) tattooed on her back. To be born under such a sign marks one as an exceptionally dangerous warrior, a destiny the typically meek and unassuming Lunarian girl thoroughly failed to live up to until she bought a second-hand Smoke Herbalist starter kit from a passring Brownie caravan. Magda's ancestral homestead is currently the thaumaturgical equivalent of a Superfund site, an incident she hotly denys was her fault, blaming it instead on 'that gormless bint, who couldn't tell the difference between (unpronouncable compound) and (equally unpronounceable compound, but with a silent 'W').'

Whatever the case, her family made it clear she should pursue her destiny... elsewhere. Anywhere, really, so long as it was very far away. And so she came to Arcadia. Truthfully, she'd much rather BE a Medic--hence the outfit, purchased secondhand from the same caravan. Unfortunately the closest she's come so far is a poison so toxic it caused her patient to vomit out the tumors afflicting them. But if she has the chance to practice her craft under real-world conditions as part of the Nameless guild (who haven't been around long enough to know of her reputation), surely her wish to become a great healer will be within reach, right? RIGHT?! Dinogator, spiritual patron of great destroyers, smiles knowingly.

(TBH, I'm not sure my color choices would look in practice since the character builder wouldn't load the DLC portraits for some reason. If they're too eye searing, feel free to adjust them in the event my character gets picked. Greg & Falz seem like fine names in any case, though I think I'm missing the reference.)

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 18, 2016

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well you could still take polls on each ghost's tragic and completely irrelevant and unremarked upon backstory. :v:

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 19, 2016

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Does AGI influence action speed or the chance to dodge in strategically significant way? If so, seems like they might make decent dodge tank Fencers.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 19, 2016

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Clarste posted:

We don't know the dodge formula, but traditionally LUC has been just as important, so it'd be a wash. AGI does affect action speed, but I'm not sure why that'd matter for a Fencer, dodge tank or otherwise. All the skills that need to go first in a turn get speed modifiers.

And, well, even if you're a dodge fencer you're gonna get hit sometimes.
Fair enough, I just can't help looking for an excuse to use gimmick builds even if they're horribly inefficient. A decade's worth of Pokemon teams will testify to this.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh snap, I didn't see I got picked. I'm on Steam as 'citizenbacillus' if you need to message me about anything.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'll throw in a vote for Magda 'cuz I am selfish like that, but I'd also like to see more of the classes you haven't used yet in general, so let's go with Lanzon & Jana

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Are those photoshops, or is one of you making pixel art from scratch?

I never knew that about the FOE naming scheme in Japanese, and I thought I knew everything about these games. Suppose this also explains why the three dragon superbosses have names consisting of like 8 different kanji.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Considering how much EO draws from old dungeon crawlers, the appearance of Owlbears is long overdue. I'm surprised to see you pushing so hard on Smoke Rot, though. I don't usually bother with skills that primarily debuff until the 2nd stratrum at the earliest. The potential to disable enemies always seemed more immediately useful. Of course I haven't played EOV yet, soooo...

Well, at least Magda's pulling her weight. More or less. :v:
I love it when LPs generate their own fanart. These are snazzy as hell.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Anticipating how to deal with subpar team composition is just something any Etrian LP'er should already have planned out. Ignorance is no excuse by now.

FWIW, I'm pretty much just voting for whichever classes we haven't seen yet. Once they've all had a chance to strut their stuff THEN I'll start pushing for the ones that look like they'd make a decent combo-cheese.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Okay that is absolutely a bear model from EOIV with an owl's head and feathers slapped on. But at least it's not a drat crayfish. EO devs with the long con trolling. :argh:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Stay safe, Magda's liver.

You know, ever since we started seeing early shots of these monsters in EOV something about them struck me as... off. It wasn't until this too-spoopy-for-me update that I was able to put my finger on it: none of the other games in the series actually feature the undead. At all. Robots? Yes. Ambulatory pumpkins? Yes. Giant bloodthirsty leukocytes? Yes. But no zombies, or ghosts, or skeletons, or reanimated dogs, or anything. They're such standard fantasy fare that I overlooked their absence until now. "Oh you probably fight a skeleton or something at some point I just forgot about it." Except you don't, it turns out.

Sort of spoils my theory on the labyrinths being overrun with vicious but otherwise natural flora and fauna (once you factor in several thousand years of mutations and genetic tinkering), but I don't bring it up as a negative thing. Just an interesting shift in emphasis for this entry in the series.

e: wow, i got beaten super hard on all of this nonsense. that'll teach me to skim between updates

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 2, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You could use them to make a soup stock! Slice up some Mandragora, a pinch of Alraune shavings... Yeah, we can work with this.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Or they could just go with, "yeah, we used to send explorers up there all the time but then <name of last boss> moved in and everything went to hell." I mean, old maps can go out of date pretty quickly, but an elephant is p. much the same today as it was back when the medieval bestiaries thought they were half-snake/half-horse abominations sired by the Devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Who's that FOE with the hard, hard beak?
eight feet tall with a soft physique
How's a FOE like that FOE feel?
running for its life from a firestorm spiel

Octolord - nobody suspects a thing
Octolord - he's already dying

• Locked thread