Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Do chains have a 100% follow up? Is it possible to get unlucky with follow ups?

The first one is 100%, but the chance goes down with each chain hit. Leveling up the chain skill lowers how much it decreases by (22% per hit at first, down to 10% per hit after that) and the Chain Plus skill gives you a buff that increases the base chance so much that you're probably not going to do enough chains to fall under 100%. Level 10 chain skills go down by 10% chance with each hit, and level 10 Chain Plus increases your base chance by 80%--and you're definitely not going to do more than eight chains in one round.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I'm getting from watching Alexis work that dodge tanks are significantly better than I would expect them to be in an Etrian game. What's the downside of a dodge-tank Fencer that might lead to someone using a Dragoon instead?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love that Herbalists are the ones who get the Nightseeker-style "do huge damage if the enemy has literally any ailment" skill with Smoke Bomb. I'm guessing a Reaper/Herbalist/Cestus combo could do terrible things together, helping each other land ailments/binds then capitalizing on bonus damage.

Dr. Fetus posted:

They have absolutely no answers to AOE attacks which do get more common as the game goes on. Also they're kind of all or nothing, which is usually the case when it comes to dodgetanks in general.

Clarste posted:

Fencers are extremely good against multi-hit attacks but bad against aoe or piercing attacks. Remember those archer from the 3rd stratum? It doesn't matter if the tank dodges if the squishy warlock behind him gets hit.

That all makes sense. I'm always skeptical of dodge-tanks in just about any game so I'm always a little bit fascinated when they actually work.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd guess a Smoke debuff is probably the easiest way to set it up, though. And it removes the debuff on use, right? So it's not spammable like War Magus's Ailing Slash or Nightstalker's Shadow Bite. It's cool on the "healer" class, though, and I feel like I'm more likely to use one because of it. I'm usually more drawn to the indirect healers, like EO4 Arcanists.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wanna see a dragon that's already made of crystal get petrified, so:

Sasha, Raven, Kaelin, Magda

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat, chains don't gently caress around. They might not be as flashy as some of the big individual hit attacks, but that poo poo adds up quick.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clarste posted:

I think this is around the point where all the dps classes start to shine. I mean, Chains aren't weak, but I don't find that level of damage especially impressive this far in the game. I mean, even discounting the obviously broken strategies. Especially since it required Dosen to do nothing but proc it every turn. I'm pretty sure it would be possible to bring someone else who does more than 500 damage.

Well, let's say you put a Hound or something in Dosen's spot. They've got stab attacks that do significantly more damage than Dosen's piddly little basic attacks. If you were to put a Shaman in Magda's spot then every other turn you could proc a chain with Oracle: Dance, too, which would also do more damage than a bow shot from Magda and simultaneously make any chain hits after that do more damage by lowering the target's resistance. Depending on how often Chain Double activates, you're looking at, what, 1500-2000 damage per turn? Maybe 2500 if you get lucky and proc Chain Double on two of those?

But I also don't really have a ton of context for if that's actually a decent amount of damage per turn from one character at this stage in EO5. I'm sure Sanzu puts chains to shame, at least.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Hi uh the next update's not ready yet but

http://atlus.com/test-slider-approv...qwerty54658798/

EO5's hitting the US this Fall!

I haven't been this hyped for a game announcement in a good while.

Just a few months until I get to try out all my silly party ideas!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gunpowder Sasha
Death-Warding Raven (admittedly this is just me being curious to see how that spec plays)
Falcon Gram
Dosen

(Okay, sure, so this is close to the party I want to try in EO5 myself, but it still seems like it'll be cool)

Music: normal

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man, I'm excited to see what team you end up using for the sixth stratum boss. That final boss fight was fun to watch.

It seems like EOV rewards defense better than the last few games have, especially EO2U. Sasha seemed pretty invaluable in that last fight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Let's rock with Cecil, Jana, Kaelin, and Magda. Bind and burn, I always say.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man, Death-Warding Reaper seems way more badass than I expected, especially if there's someone else laying down debuffs, too. Scythe of Transience is pretty great.

How's Death-Bringing in the endgame?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Rotating the ailments Death-Bringing has in order to get a bunch of Black Blade stacks equals big damage with Great Scythe of Cold Ash or even Fresh Blood Slash. I mean, yeah, you'll have to keep re-casting Miasma Weapon, but it's no worse than keeping debuffs up for Transience.

Good to know Reaper keeps up the things I always loved Nightseeker for.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, let's do this.

Name: Coriander
Class: Troubadour
Portrait: 3, with a sweet blue cloak

Coriander's seen a labyrinth or two in his day. Had his share of adventures. Or, at least, he's chock full of stories about labyrinths and adventures. He's written a whole lot of songs about them. It's kind of fuzzy whether he was there for any of the things he sings about, though. Sometimes, even Coriander can't remember what stories he was there for, which ones he heard about later, and which ones he just plain made up. When you tell as many as he does, they sort of all blend together. Coriander tells his friends that honesty is a core tenet of the Troubadour's Code (note: nobody else has ever heard of a "Troubadour's Code"), but that there's more than one kind of honesty. Maybe the content of his stories and songs isn't true, but if they get at something true, reveal a truth of the heart, a deep truth of the spirit, isn't that just as good?

Other tenets of the Code include loyalty to one's comrades-in-arms, knowing where to find the best ale in any town, and singing an appropriate song in every situation, even if nobody else thinks there is an appropriate song for that situation. For all his faults, ol' Cor holds to all of those and then some.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Dragoon trailer seems to have revealed more of the English class names for EOV. Looks like the changed names are:

Herbalist -> Botanist
Hound -> Rover (we already knew this one)
Cestus -> Pugilist
Necromancer -> Harbinger

Oh, and it looks like Earthrun is Earthlain for the English version.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, and I think Harbinger is more evocative and unique sounding than Necromancer, so I like that choice, too. Maybe they also thought Warlock and Necromancer might sound too similar as general "dark magic" users.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Can't have two class names that start with H unless you're EO2U and have too many classes.

I'm actually thinking Harbinger is the name for Reaper. R is taken by Rover but there's no other N class, so Necromancer is still available.

Ah, solid point, and that might actually make more sense. I think people are assuming Harbinger is Necromancer because it's in the back row in the video, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oliphant: Raven (Death-bringing), Gram (Falcon), Mio (Wrath), Kaelin (Six Ways)

Dragon Zombie: Alexis, Kaelin (Elements), Cecil (Combo), Mio (Love)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, on top of being an entertaining LP, it's been really great having all this mechanical information as a resource. I think I'd probably still be complaining about the Crystal Dragon in the megathread if it weren't for being able to check out its mechanics thanks to this LP.

I've also gotten to see a lot of party compositions in action using a bunch of different methods to overcome challenges, which has simultaneously helped me see how different classes work and contributed to my compulsive need to level one of everything, so that's good too

• Locked thread