Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I actually didn't think too highly of Reapers at first when I saw the data on them, but having played through the game with a Death Bringing one, I was surprised at how much weight they could pull. And I found them to be fairly flexible in what they can do (support or damage) which makes a fairly decent fit for some teams.

Poison is a much better status than it used to be, both in terms of utility and actual design. It really had the issue of just completely dominating one part of the game, while being useless for the rest of it (or in EO3, being useless all game) I feel that making it scale with levels instead of being fixed damage really smooths out those problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Efe posted:

You know what usually bothers me? In pretty much every EO game once you reach that stratum that no other explorer has reached, pretty much all the townspeople know more about the stratum than you do. Case in point, Ceric saying that the fourth stratum is completely unexplored, then turning around in the same sentence and asking for an item that I'm assuming is only found in said stratum. It's just one of those things that breaks immersion for me.

Also that Undead King card is definitely something I'd use if I still played Yu-Gi-Oh, but it's also something that I feel like would be banned before I got a chance to.

The townspeople also have some advice to give you regarding those floors in the series, and the alternative is having absolutely nothing explained to you at all (EO3's 6th Stratum) or have things explained to you way too late. (Several cases in EO2.) It's sloppy, but less annoying than the alternative.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

rumble in the bunghole posted:

The executioner's got a pretty neat gimmick. Cut your offense and clog up a buff slot.

It's got a bit more going for it than that. Hitting it with a Fire attack at any point will cause it to counter with Scorching Wrath. That's why it's skillset is so odd, and why it's trying to bait your party into hitting its weakness. If an FOE wants you to hit it with their weakness, you really shouldn't oblige unless it's locked down.

werbear posted:

Taking into account what I know about resistances in EO does Flame Sign mean your party takes less damage from fire after it's used?

Alo congratulations on your new, snazzy hat.

You take more damage from it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Item Getter posted:

I beat Undead king on the first try (I think I got lucky with binds/status effects and he didn't actually do much) but I had a lot of trouble with the next boss even though I read a lot of people saying it was a pushover.
I think your mileage just varies a lot in this series.

It also depends on your playstyle and team composition. I didn't have too much trouble with the Undead King myself, but I managed to completely hogtie it with a few Lead Blow casts, and had a party that could heavily capitalize on that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

EO5 made a merciful change to how a bunch of conditional drops work: for any conditional whose condition is "Kill while under the effect of this ailment/bind," if you kill that enemy with the skill that inflicts that disable, it will give you the conditional.

I believe it was EOU that actually made the change. Either that or EO2U. At any rate, it's nice for giving you one last shot at the conditional if needed.

Can't say I was fond of the crystal gimmick in my playthrough. It's not really one of the more interesting gimmicks EO has employed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Whatever the gently caress happened to Golem here is very much a fluke. I refought him after the recording to make sure it wasn't some stupid thing like "Golem needs the Golem Legs to actually do anything," and ended up having a much harder time because he actually kept doing real things with his turns.

Clarste posted:

The boss is actually hard, that was just a weird lucky streak or I don't know.

This is from a while back, but I took a look at Golem's AI to see what was going on. And yes, a weird lucky streak is exactly what happened.

Golem has 2 phases, above 51% HP, and below it. (Body part HP doesn’t matter, all their AI does is provide feedback to the Golem Body, telling them if they’re alive or not.)

Now if Golem is in its first phase, and only has 1 body part missing, (Assuming a body part wasn't somehow killed before Explosion was cast, screwing with the attack order) it’ll try to attack in this order (All body parts result in it using Explosion):

Turn 1: Legs
Turn 2: Arms
Turn 3: Head

When it reaches a turn it doesn’t have the body part for, it’ll have a 30% chance to cast Call Allies, or a 70% chance to rejoin with a Mini-Golem. (Though if it tries to combine with a Mini-Golem that no longer exists, it’ll just waste its turn. Also in order to successfully Combine, the Mini-Golem’s AI has to agree to it first.)

If it has 2 body parts missing, it'll alternate between Call Allies/Combine or attacking.

Okay, so on turn 5 of Ragnar's fight, Golem was trying to use a head skill, but had no head, so it settled for Call Allies.

On turn 7, Ragnar killed the legs, so it just decided to go for Call Allies since it was missing 2 body parts.

When Golem’s HP falls below 51%, things change.

Its AI now operates on a roulette, with each attack having an equal chance to come out. However, it can’t use attacks from the same body part 2 turns in a row. So it bounces to the other 2 body parts for its roulette instead. If it chooses a body part that doesn’t exist, it just casts Call Allies (Guaranteed to do so if no Mini-Golems are on the field. If Mini-Golems are on the field, it’ll cast Call Allies if no Mini-Golem wants to Combine.) This means a situation could arise where Golem keeps picking body parts it doesn't have if it's missing 2 of them, meaning it'll do nothing but waste its turns. The chance of that happening for an extended period of time is very unlikely.

Turn 8 is when he got Golem’s HP below 51%, and that’s why Golem started freaking out. He kept winning a coin flip throughout all those turns, so he got extremely lucky. (What happened during that portion of the fight had a 6.25% chance of happening.) Also that Mini-Golem opted to spend its turns attacking, so that’s why it didn’t combine.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The most glorious dick move in the game. And of course, Atlus made them chest monsters. I wiped to that encounter, but I couldn't be mad since I was laughing so hard. :allears:

Incidentally, Blaze Squirrels only use Wick if they're the last enemy alive in the battle. If you take them out first, you can avoid having your threads burned up.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Harrow posted:

So I'm getting from watching Alexis work that dodge tanks are significantly better than I would expect them to be in an Etrian game. What's the downside of a dodge-tank Fencer that might lead to someone using a Dragoon instead?

They have absolutely no answers to AOE attacks which do get more common as the game goes on. Also they're kind of all or nothing, which is usually the case when it comes to dodgetanks in general.

I did like this teleportation gimmick. Reminded me of the gates in EO3. And they're more engaging than completely random teleportation destinations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Update 31. That thing looks like it came out of 7th Dragon, really.

Huh, I never really thought about it, but it certainly wouldn't be out of place as a High/Imperial Dragon.

And yeah, Crystal Dragon isn't a particularly interesting boss. Undead King already played the whole 2 different skillsets card and it was more in line with what he could pull off in battle. I guess Prism Ray is kind of interesting in that it's the only attack in the series that changes elements in the middle of an attack, but that's honestly kind of meaningless in a game without the elemental walls. Crystal Dragon already has access to all 7 damage types, so protecting yourself against just one is already meaningless.

Sasha, Kaelin, Magda, and Dosen.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I see MEGAQUEEN is now the queen of games. :v:

Also, the 5th Stratum is probably my favorite Stratum in the entire series.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ironically, Valerie was probably the character with the most amount of personality in the original release of EO1. Mainly because the NPCs in EO1 only had 1 line per stratum instead of per floor like in all the other games. (Aside from the Guildkeeper, who only had 1 line period outside of quests. And Untold took out a questline in the original game giving her a bit of characterization.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Out of all the topics I expected to see in an EO thread, the existence or non-existence of a pair of brass on an FOE was not one I was expecting to see.

I really did like the main gimmick for the 5th Stratum despite it being a reskinned ice floor gimmick.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

vdate posted:

Uh, this link is 404ing for me, and Atlus' home page doesn't seem to have any mention of it in the news feed, either. So, uh, :confuoot:

It was a leak, not an official announcement, so it was taken down.

This is what was on there:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alexis, Magda, Dog Gram, and Fist Cecil. I don't really care about the other characters. Not enough suffering. :unsmigghh:

Oh, and normal.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 23, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The boss theme takes a while to get going, though the main portion is generally timed to kick in when the fight starts getting into gear, or when you get the upper hand. (Unless you leave that 3DS sitting there for some reason.) Which is pretty neat.

Thanks for the LP! I'll be looking forward to the next project and post-game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Item Getter posted:

EO isn't known for complex plots and originality but I still feel like EO5 has (outside of game mechanics) the most boring final boss in the series. At least the music is good

Yeah, there was pretty much no buildup to it other than being told that you need to kill this thing right when you get to its doorstep.

Glazius posted:

This all seems... kind of oddly straightforward. But I suppose in its own way that's refreshing, since EO has kind of had a swerve in the whole "climb the tower" plot from the beginning.

Yeah, EO5's pretty light on the plot since it gets info dumped on you at the very end. Though EO3 and 4 did get bogged down by the plot, so I'm not exactly complaining.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 1, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hi Mara.

Jana, Raven, Magda, and Cecil.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Sure, why not? I'll give this a go.

Name: Richard
Class: Dark Hunter
Portrait: 3

A rather gruff and rude person, but he's also quite the adventurous archaeologist. Unfortunately, he's rather disagreeable, and fairly hard to get along with. Really, the only reason his expedition teams kept him around was because he was good at his job. If it weren't for that, he would have been kicked out in a heartbeat. Despite that, most of his expeditions went without incident, though he's been through a few hairy situations before. After finishing his last expedition, he heard about the town of Etria and the Labyrinth that appeared there. Taking his trusty whip and machete in hand, he set out for the Labyrinth. His reasons were threefold. For the thrill of the adventure, the potential findings, and the glory that awaited him. He just hopes that whoever he gets stuck with won't drag him down. He'll do anything to get what he wants. Emphasis on anything. After all, if there's a problem in the way, surely it could just be hogtied or cut down, right? He's good at that part at least. He's not above playing dirty, and will revel in it if that's what it takes to get these expeditions done.

"Look, pal. I don't care what you think about my fighting style. When you've gone through half the poo poo I've been through, you gotta do what it takes to survive. Also, be careful with that thing. I'll probably give it to a museum or something later."

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 26, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

No dragons. They're completely gone. If they were in, I'm not sure if the classes' skillsets would have been able to handle them since the elemental walls are gone as well. The monster roster is entirely new.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Official site for the game has significantly more info up.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Aniodia posted:

so, Dragon Zambie. Kaelin (Elemancer), Sasha (Shield Bearer), Iseria, Dosen.

As for EOU...

Name: Katya
Class: Alchemist
Portrait: Female 1 (Coat/Pants same dark teal color as Alchemist Male 1's hair; Hair platinum blond, as Story Gunner)

The youngest of her 6 siblings, and the only daughter among them, Katya grew up being the lone girl in a boy's world. Not that it mattered much, her parents were loggers in the far north and really only dealt with other folk on supply runs. With short hair, a slight build (so what if she was a bit of a late bloomer?), and that bulky parka, Katya was often mistaken for one of her brothers until she bothered to speak up. Of course, she also had her nose in any book she could find in town, so that wasn't very often.

As she grew older, Katya started tinkering and experimenting with various parts she scrounged or bought on these infrequent trips, often disappearing into her room when the daily chores were done and not coming out until far after supper had gone cold. Being the only girl in the family (Mother not included, since she shared the master bedroom) did have it's perks, a room to herself fairly high among them, and so no one really knew what was going on until the latest scrap the boys were getting into with each other. It's as if it were yesterday...

Anatoli and Sergey, the two oldest, were trying to divide up some venison from the latest hunt, and neither could (or would) give up the choicest cuts without a scrap. Viktor and Aleksi, the twins always raring for a fight, jumped on in, dragging Gregory in as well, though the young boy wasn't really terribly interested in fighting (over food, at least).

Then Katya stepped outside, hands behind her back, a sinister, sly grin on her face.

Always one to pick on his sister whenever she tried to throw down, Viktor leapt at Katya, only to be flung backwards past the brothers' scrum. Immediately the fighting stopped, and the boys looked in awe at their twitching brother, their sister's gauntlets, and the laughing young girl.

After soundly thrashing the boys (really just to say she could at this point), Katya wore her "gauntlets of power" with her wherever she went. It was during a trip into town that Mother was approached by a spectacled gentleman, one who talked about the gauntlets her daughter had constructed on her own. It was this gentleman that mentioned the city of Etria to the south, a place where Katya's skills, intelligence and scrappiness would be of value. After considerable deliberation with the family, Katya decided to head south to Etria, see the sights of the big city, find her own way in life (and maybe send some ental back, while she's at it).

I'm imagining Katya as primarily a Palm Alchemist, since they're just such a different and unique take on the concept of the Alchemist class from previous EO games. Of course, feel free to do what you wish.

Palm Alchemist was an EO2U invention. EOU doesn't have those. Its skillsets are fairly close to EO1's.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Here's my second character.

Name: Artemis the 3rd (Or just Arty for short.)
Class: Survivalist
Portrait: 2

Once there was a legendary archer, renowned for her sheer strength, hunting prowess, and her ability to stun and stop any of her foes in their tracks with just one arrow. She eventually gave birth to a daughter who was, to put it bluntly, a failure and pretty much incapable with a bow. That archer eventually gave birth to her own daughter, who was... also not that great with a bow. Arty tried not to let that get her down at first, and took to studying the field of medicine and the various flora and fauna across the world. Just so she could be useful for something and raise enough money for her family to get by. That didn't stop the people in her town from pressuring her into being more like her grandma, and openly talking about how they hope she doesn't end up being a failure like her mother and she tried to take up the bow again, just to shut them up.

Unfortunately all that constant pressure molded her into a person who is insecure, easily pushed around by others, and prone to freaking out when something goes wrong, or just not entirely to plan. And to make matters worse, one day, her family went into debt due to a blunder her mother made, and was at threat of losing their home. Arty almost lost all hope... Until she heard of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. A dangerous place to be sure, but the potential rewards were well worth the risk in her eyes. Treasures and fortune could potentially be found in the labyrinth, solving her and her family's personal troubles. Braving the dangers would possibly let her step out of her ancestors' shadows and cause people to finally allow her to forge a new path for herself. And if she ends up dying... well life sucked anyways, so no big loss there. She just hopes that the qualifications for any guilds who are accepting Survivalists are more in the line of being good at field work and less being a good archer.

"Oh god, I messed up. I messed up so bad! Oh god everyone's dying and I can't handle this and somebody please help meeeee!"

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

A huge pain to find again if you die against it, or fail to snag its conditional drop. 1% chance to spawn per step taken can mean that you'll be there for a long while.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, then Raven-bringing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Etrian Odyssey 5 is out now in NA and EU (only in eShop for the latter. EO5 can't be bought physically in Europe until November.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

So has the Etrian Odyssey V: Dub vs Sub War begun yet?

There were people on GameFAQs complaining about memes in the localization if that counts. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Omobono posted:

What in Gehenna's name is an undub patch and is it as stupid as it seems?

Undub patches replaces all the voice acting in the localized version with the voice acting from the original version of the game. So basically in this case, English text but with Japanese voice acting.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Comparing the translated scripts to what I've seen in the NA version so far, I have to say, the localization had a ton of fun with this game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Clarste posted:

I still don't know how the Crystal Dragon works.

From what I could tell, it's just a boss that acts randomly, but refrains from using the same skill twice in a row. And either switches forms when you deal over 10% of its maximum HP in damage to it, or until a certain number of turns pass. I dunno, I wasn't able to decipher all of it (which is partly why the notes in Ragnar's writeup were a bit vague.) EO5's boss AI have a lot of extra scripting in them I don't understand. Eternal Tyrant's (Localized name for the final boss) AI was so utterly confusing that I didn't even bother with it. :suicide:

This was about as much as I was able to get out of Crystal Dragon's AI files before I just threw my hands up and gave up.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, Star Devourer's design is not really that interesting. Especially considering the last stratum boss was edgelord dragon. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The test posters don't have a character limit. Or if they do, they're a lot bigger than SA's character limits.

Anyways, good job with the LP! Congrats on getting it finished!

• Locked thread