Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Efe posted:

If I may be honest, I really expected that fight with the baboon to end in an untimely game over. I know I definitely don't have luck facing FOEs on my first trip to their floors.

It doesn't have any particularly dangerous attacks, and summoning monsters is basically just stalling for time. So the only real danger is running out of TP. And Ragnar just bought a bazillion Amritas, so that wouldn't have been a danger either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

How is TP recovery in this game? In EO2U, it was very lacking since you couldn't buy Amritas until you got to the 4th Stratum. And I believe the only other method was a dish that recovered a very small percentage of TP per turn.

I know there's Magic Heal, which is fairly helpful early on. And the potential truckload of Amritas you can grab.

You can eat Pancakes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Fascinating.

(And there's your new page.)

Pancakes heal a good chunk of TP, and are relatively cheap to make as long as you remember to buy berries from the berry vendor in the bar. There are other food items, but mostly I just filled my bag with Pancakes and never worried about TP. Uh... you can eat food items out of battle, and they take up a completely separate bag space.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh yeah, the Gorgon Bow has a semi-reliable petrify effect. That's how I got the scorpion drop.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Alexis, Iseria, Mio

I feel a deep-seated need for him to take a dodge tank.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 10, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In case anyone skimmed over it, I definitely recommend listening to the 3rd stratum music.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Omobono posted:

I'd say Ruler of Fire, Ice and Lightning for our resident smuglord. Call it Heaven's Emperor (or something like that), because you know he'd name it that way.

Maybe I'm biased, but I feel like that's possibly the most boring specialization in the game. All you're doing with it is exactly what you did with the basic skills, except using elemental spells with higher multipliers. Everything else is based around saving TP, except you only need to do that at all because your slightly better spells are also more expensive.

With that in mind, I'm gonna have to vote for Master of the Six Ways. You can still call it Heaven's Emperor if you like.

Edit: If you want an in-character reason, think of it as refusing to let the lesser classes have even some situations where they're better than him.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 12, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Glazius posted:

So, on a scale of 1 to Harambe, how many memes did this whole "name your own specialization" thing unleash on launch?

About as many as being able to name your own characters or the guild itself, I'd imagine. I mean, even if people are using memes it'd just be stuck in their own game, so how would we tell?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bone Archers are AMAZING and deserve respect.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

vdate posted:

Also, there's been a lot fewer series-standard enemies than I expected thus far - I don't think I've seen a single reused one this Stratum! Actually, come to think of it, have there been ANY 'traditional' EO enemies yet?

No, there haven't been any traditional enemies, and there won't be. This game was intended as a "fresh start" for the series, so they reused as little as possible. Which is why there are brand new enemies and no returning classes like Landsknecht or Medic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Glazius posted:

The entire floor is undead. Even the materials are rotting and falling apart.

Which of course means they make the strongest tier of gear yet. I mean, that's only sensible.

Sadly, Ragnar hasn't caught any fish yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

werbear posted:

So these new F.O.E.s

- (only?) activate if you step next to their pretty obvious spawn point
- only take one step for every two steps you take
- only start chasing you if they have a direct line of vision
- get killed by floor tiles that do nothing to you

Either they are the weakest F.O.E.s since EO3 as some sort of joke or they are destruction incarnate, throwing out multi-hit instant-death attack that leave every survivor blinded/paralyzed/panicked/stunned and get stronger every turn.
With how the game makes sure they never catch you I can not see any middle-ground here...

They also respawn very quickly. So even when they're killed by the sun, they'll be back in a couple dozen steps.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 26, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, I just meant from the sunlight. In a certain sense, the real FOE is the clown car of corpses that they come from.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Maybe testing with a normal update would be more helpful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Does Genetta also speak in Anime Episode Titles in the original? Because that's great :allears:

Not specifically. She's just kind of overly excited, makes up words, and misuses idioms. Punching up the dialog is Kinu's job here, in case that wasn't clear.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

werbear posted:

(Also after the grave-digging event the text talks about burrying the corpse in a "whole". Twice.)

Our editing process is not especially rigorous.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

vdate posted:

Yikes, lady, that got heavy out of nowhere! Where did that come from?

Melina's whole "thing" is that she's a retired explorer who treats all the new explorers like she's an overprotective mother (or older sister, I guess). Because she knows exactly how dangerous it is up there. Which is why she ends like almost every conversation she has with "stay safe" or equivalent.

But in general she's not as interesting as, say, Genetta, so it's pretty easy to skim over her dialog.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For what it's worth, a Necromancer's poison can be strong enough to deal over 300 damage at this point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Glazius posted:

What's going on with that skeleton? Is it vomiting out a bolt of cloth? Or has it just got a bone-white hat with a striped prayer strip on the brim?

I always assumed they had a piece of cloth wrapped around their face, covering their mouth and hanging down.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I guess someone never did great damage. Or used only multi-hit attacks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yay, storytime!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

werbear posted:

Really, game? You do know one of the available classes is the Necromancer, right?
And Flare Ladies are clearly wearing more than any female Dark Hunters, Troubadours, Wildlings, Dancers or Nightseekers.

Yeah, but what they are wearing is made out of magic Kevlar or something.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The first skeleton is kind of a jump scare if you're not expecting it, and all subsequent skeletons too if you're not paying attention to the upper screen. They don't show up on the map at all until they pop up next to you.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I wasn't available to give commentary this time, but the Lord of the Dead speaks in all-caps there because his Japanese dialog uses katakana instead of hiragana (he still uses kanji though). If you don't know what that means, he's basically speaking in all caps. I'd imagine it's meant to emphasize his unnatural, alien voice rather than him being shouting all the time though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

werbear posted:

So we are already on the point that no one made it past?
Usually when NPCs start hyping up the next boss you are in for quite the battle. (rear end in a top hat Bird, Scylla, Ketos, ... uh... Berzerker King? Or rather Boiling Lizard)

These secret areas are strange - since they have no new enemies I assume you can just waltz right in on your first exploration? No level requirements to meet or keys to be found?
Well, I guess the rewards are not too outstanding but that makes these secrets even more strange...
Although the skeleton dormitory looked cool.

Isn't it usually the third stratum then?

The secret areas aren't really secret; if you're paying attention you can find them on the first try. And you probably will. Although I totally failed to notice the one in the 1st stratum until I looked at the strategy guide.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Glazius posted:

I like how we unlock better recipes for dungeon cooking just by talking to a cooking fanatic.

I can't remember if Ragnar made this clear, but the latest recipe involves cooking Skeletal Fish that we found swimming around in the labyrinth. That always amuses me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It is. You fish it up from pools.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Raven

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Efe posted:

You know what usually bothers me? In pretty much every EO game once you reach that stratum that no other explorer has reached, pretty much all the townspeople know more about the stratum than you do. Case in point, Ceric saying that the fourth stratum is completely unexplored, then turning around in the same sentence and asking for an item that I'm assuming is only found in said stratum. It's just one of those things that breaks immersion for me.

Also that Undead King card is definitely something I'd use if I still played Yu-Gi-Oh, but it's also something that I feel like would be banned before I got a chance to.

Well, this is kind of a spoiler, but Ragnar did something slightly out of sequence that better explains the reactions of the townsfolk. There's something you're expected to pick up there before you come back to town.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 23, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It took a couple tries for me to kill the Undead King, mostly because I didn't expect to be instantly wiped by a Cursed Ice Bomb in the second phase. I killed the next boss without even letting it get an action. I still don't really know what it does.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

I believe it was EOU that actually made the change. Either that or EO2U. At any rate, it's nice for giving you one last shot at the conditional if needed.

Can't say I was fond of the crystal gimmick in my playthrough. It's not really one of the more interesting gimmicks EO has employed.

I liked it. It's simple and makes you think about what you're doing. I suppose this wasn't exactly as clear as it could've been, but each swing of the pickaxe takes time, like taking a step. So you have to to care not to get cornered.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Makoto though?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Two classes. There are only two instant death skills in the game, and they're on different classes. Necromancers get Zombie Powder, which is a spell that just does Instant Death at a base 80% chance at max rank. Reapers get Scythe of Death, which is an attack that has an additional chance of Instant Death (50% at max rank). However, Scythe of Death also has this thing where it gets a huge boost against sleeping targets, ending up with a 250% base chance of instant death. It also does massive damage, but honestly when I've played around with it in random battles I've never seen it do that damage because the targets always dies from the instant death effect first.

Heck, 250% is high enough that it wouldn't be especially unlikely to kill FOEs that are resistant to Instant Death, if you're just using it for the damage or whatever.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 1, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fencers are extremely good against multi-hit attacks but bad against aoe or piercing attacks. Remember those archers from the 3rd stratum? It doesn't matter if the tank dodges if the squishy warlock behind him gets hit.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 15, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Voting for Sasha and Iseria.

I have to admit, I beat the game without ever seeing this guy do anything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Golem has a little thing where you had to hit switch to block off his reinforcements, but otherwise yes. Although I'm not sure if it's clear from what Ragnar's shown you what the puzzle actually is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

werbear posted:

"You made a major, potentially mindblowing discovery?
Well, that is all nice and good - but you made it to the 5th Stratum.
Five... That's a bigger number than four. Really, though - five... Wow."

Where is Cass when you need someone to monologue about your exploration being actually interesting?

To be fair, it's not like any of them have seen it. I get the impression that you're very bad at describing exactly what it is you've found. Ragnar's made the decision that the characters are from a world that's relatively modern, scientifically, but the impression I got when I played was that you're all medieval peasants being flabbergasted by something beyond your understanding. Like, I don't think my characters would've known what space is, and the concept of "above the sky" is just kind of nonsensical when they try to explain it to others.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 25, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think this is around the point where all the dps classes start to shine. I mean, Chains aren't weak, but I don't find that level of damage especially impressive this far in the game. I mean, even discounting the obviously broken strategies. Especially since it required Dosen to do nothing but proc it every turn. I'm pretty sure it would be possible to bring someone else who does more than 500 damage.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 25, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Clarste said he got through the game just fine with a Dog-Leading Hound for a primary healer and a Heaven's Love Shaman for passive healing.

I was doing a run without an Herbalist because my first runs of EO games always have the Medic character in them, and it went pretty well...up until I overwrote the save.

No, I didn't have a shaman in my Hound-healer run. The shaman healer was in another run entirely. The Hound works fine as a healer with no support at all.

Honestly I never use dedicated healers in any of these games, although I started with 4 so I don't know if that works in the earlier games. My assumption is that the game is balanced around using either a Herbalist, Hound, or Shaman as primary healer though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For the record, my EO5 party was Fencer, Cestus, Masurao, Hound, and Necromancer.

• Locked thread