Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Are you going to be able to get by with just the Necromancer for healing skills? I haven't used one but it seems like it would be a bit rough without an Herbalist...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Sounds a lot better than the previous party though Hound is the only one I didn't use when playing the game.
I'm guessing you are leaning towards a Hawk hound since it's together with an Herbalist?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I am guessing that's why we are not getting one of the Masurao 2nd names?

edit: Do game breakingly powerful enemies count? I can think of a few of those in this game.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 17, 2016

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It's nice to see what the events in the game actually say since i was mostly just mashing through random options in them.
I planned to have a Lunarian smoke herbalist long before the game came out and made a generic Lunarian for that purpose at the beginning of the game, but then forgot about it or something by the time the 2nd names became available so I'm sort of stuck with a Brownie unless I want to do some serious power leveling.
Where do you name the dog and bird by the way? Since it doesn't look like it has a name yet?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

vdate posted:

Clearly, the only option is Rocky and Bullwinkle, however Clarste does her kanji magic to fit those into six characters! (Well, to fit Bullwinkle into six characters.)

Blwnkl.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Ragnar Homsar posted:

This is actually the only way to get eggs in the entire game. So if you miss this one quest, say, because you can't read Japanese, you'll miss out on everything that uses eggs, which isn't insignificant.[/i]

Hope this does not veer too much into spoiler territory.
More importantly than food (which I never really bothered with), the one early quest where you need eggs seems to be required in order to get an important quest in the 6th stratum..
I am on the 2nd to last floor in the game and I never did the chicken thing in this update or knew about it, but will have to go back and do it pretty soon I guess. So thanks for showing how it's done

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
You guys I'm pretty sure it's "Growth Badge" not "Gross Badge"....

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I somehow walked right past the place where Genetta is in this update and didn't notice until I was far into the postgame and couldn't do something important since I didn't find her there and this game has a couple instances of weird flags you have to trigger for quests to become available.

Love what you are doing with the ghosts by the way.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I can confirm Smoke Rot is quite a good debuff

I was a little disappointed in my warlock, but it also affects the Reaper's wonderful ice attack which we won't get for quite some time.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Somehow I never saw due to low resolution that when we are looking at the Golem from the front we are staring at like four golem butts

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I don't know about difficulty yet, but I'd say Golem is certainly the most creatively designed and strategically implemented of the first stratum bosses. Remember back in EO1 when the first major boss was just "big wolf with ice attacks and calls friends"? My, but we have come a long way since then.

I was waiting until after the fight update, but I'd second that, Golem was the most interesting and exciting 1st stratum boss in the series for me. Also I believe it's the 1st stratum boss which took the most attempts for me to beat, most of them I was able to beat on the first attempt. Though it's only because it didn't occur to me for a while that the best strategy is just to spam AOE attacks every turn, which is a bit unusual for a boss battle.
There's something else amusing about golem to me but I can't say it until a lot further in the LP...

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Pyro Jack posted:

Why did the Lunarians make the Golems have noticeable butt cracks? That's something that is bothering me for a while since the last update.

So they can literally poo poo bricks

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Why do you transliterate the word for Cicada as Zemmy?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I never did an SCC but I feel like 5 Necromancers or 5 Dragoons might be the most viable in this game since they have fairly versatile skill sets.
5 Cestus would be a lot of fun (with their different bind based attacks feeding off each other) all with the angry portrait naturally.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Pyro Jack posted:

Dashing Neckbeasts is the best name for a F.O.E. ever. I don't care what anyone else says.

Dashing Neckbeards

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Clarste posted:

About as many as being able to name your own characters or the guild itself, I'd imagine. I mean, even if people are using memes it'd just be stuck in their own game, so how would we tell?

Streetpass...
Almost all the characters which I got from streetpass just kept the default 2nd names which is disappointing though.
Of course a couple of the guilds themselves have anime names and such

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 17, 2017

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Rangpur posted:

Stay safe, Magda's liver.

You know, ever since we started seeing early shots of these monsters in EOV something about them struck me as... off. It wasn't until this too-spoopy-for-me update that I was able to put my finger on it: none of the other games in the series actually feature the undead. At all. Robots? Yes. Ambulatory pumpkins? Yes. Giant bloodthirsty leukocytes? Yes. But no zombies, or ghosts, or skeletons, or reanimated dogs, or anything. They're such standard fantasy fare that I overlooked their absence until now. "Oh you probably fight a skeleton or something at some point I just forgot about it." Except you don't, it turns out.

Sort of spoils my theory on the labyrinths being overrun with vicious but otherwise natural flora and fauna (once you factor in several thousand years of mutations and genetic tinkering), but I don't bring it up as a negative thing. Just an interesting shift in emphasis for this entry in the series.

e: wow, i got beaten super hard on all of this nonsense. that'll teach me to skim between updates

EO1/U did have zombie dragons as a late-game FOE. I think that's the only exception. The Hollows from EO4 come close except for how they aren't "technically" ghosts.
It'd be odd for the game to not feature undead monsters when one of the character classes is Necromancer, though.
Though the undead in EO5 are mostly kind of funny/silly looking, which I figure is the EO touch at work.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I beat Undead king on the first try (I think I got lucky with binds/status effects and he didn't actually do much) but I had a lot of trouble with the next boss even though I read a lot of people saying it was a pushover.
I think your mileage just varies a lot in this series.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
You were making a big deal about "memes" so I thought it'd be something that didn't originate directly in the games, like that FOE song people love to reference

Maybe it's due to not really reading due to poor Japanese comprehension but I never actually noticed that the squirrels' attack was destroying Ariadne Threads.
But I did avoid this locked area for quite a while since it's pretty long to get to the end and the squirrels' fire attack does a pretty decent amount of damage on its own.

Omobono posted:

Please tell me there's a FOE squirrel.

A really bad random encounter can be worse than an FOE since it can't be as easily avoided.

Back when I was a kid I would use this RPG editor to make "intentionally bad" joke games and several times put an impossibly hard monster (with a small/cute sprite even) inside an ordinary looking treasure chest in a dungeon. So I love it whenever a commercial game does a similar thing.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Clarste posted:

Just glancing at it so far, it seems Therians were originally orcs. There's a picture that says:
  • Man(tank): Protector/Fencer
  • Elf(magi): Gunner/Warlock
  • Orc(Atk): Bushido/Barbarian
  • [Redacted](Heal): Medic/Herbalist

The redacted bit is weird
Wonder if it said "Hobbit" or something similar with potential copyright problems?

I remember seeing some other concept art where the Therians were called Martians and there was a 5th race

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
EO isn't known for complex plots and originality but I still feel like EO5 has (outside of game mechanics) the most boring final boss in the series. At least the music is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, there was pretty much no buildup to it other than being told that you need to kill this thing right when you get to its doorstep.

And it's just some very generic looking evil black dragon/demon thing who doesn't get any lines or character

• Locked thread