Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

EmmyOk posted:

I think Greg and Rebecca might not be sympatico anymore because I mean she loving stamped on his heart three times now in increasingly horrific ways. Granted the last one was his fault but it's still a pretty big issue. Heather and Greg made a lot of sense but they can't get back together now or it'll feel like he's settling for her imo.

As unhappy as he was in that town before, I don't know how he'll deal with being around any of them now. He will have to start hanging out with only Beans now. If this was a grittier show I'd think it would be on track to have him nosedive deeper into alcoholism and self destructive or suicidal thoughts. Maybe they will and find a way to write fun songs about it?

It's too bad he can't get out of this toxic Bermuda Love Triangle town without leaving his dad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They're totally going to kill Greg's dad. ...Eventually.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Greg's dad needs to die for the Gregger good

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Greg's dad has macaws, which are notoriously long-lived birds and frequently bequeathed to children in their owners' wills. Presumably, if his dad dies, Greg will inherit his father's macaws and then we will have birdman Greg, macaw daddy.

Ergo: Greg's dad must die.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Guys, I can't find my remote and I'm stuck watching the end of this terrible vampire show. That should tell you how excited I am for this show to come back.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fresh off the horrible bleakness of Black Mirror it's finally time for the happy an upbeat world of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend where nothing ever goes wrong and no one will hurt me

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am not caught up but what the Hell I'm in! Let's do this.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I am not caught up but what the Hell I'm in! Let's do this.

Um I don't think that's a good idea personally!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Um I don't think that's a good idea personally!

If I've learned anything from the show so far it's that impulsive decisions never backfire

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh god I'm sad already

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gonna watch this on Sunday when it pops up on Netflix, I expect to come back to many miserable posts.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Paula's having a crisis of faith! :ohdear:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Getting artistic here.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That song really won me over at the end.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

JT Smiley posted:

It's not the catchiest one they've ever done, but goddamn that cactus costume rights all wrongs

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

JT Smiley posted:

It was Darryl wasn't it

Poor Greg, his gesture text flung aside like an old Emory sweatshirt.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They timed that last bit just as I was thinking "this looks really expensive."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh dear Lord.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Josh is not a ragtime fan

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I can't believe you guys wanted Rebecca in a normal relationship. Where's the fun in that?

Knockknees posted:

It was Darryl wasn't it

You know it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GREG MY SWEET CHILD

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Greg looks very pale.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Knockknees posted:

Greg looks very pale.

He better not be horrifically ill or some poo poo.

edit: Oh man, Greg.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 22, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

poo poo

poo poo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The guys who still wear the skinny jeans

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Greg :smith:

(This is the first time I've watched live tv in a year. The commercials are so often ... is it always like this?)

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Knockknees posted:

Greg :smith:

(This is the first time I've watched live tv in a year. The commercials are so often ... is it always like this?)

Commercials have gotten unbearable. It's not just that they're so often, but that they pop up on the screen too. Along with the station logo permanently in the corner. Its just...ugggggh

also lol so much for self control.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
None of you exist!

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
So it wasn't a very exciting episode but I guess that's what you have to do when you are resetting the stage for a new central conflict of the season and setting everyone up for new arcs and stuff.

Can we just magically hide everything from Greg forever please? Like I know being honest with ourselves and others in an essential moral of the show but ugh Greg should just go to Emory and never hear of any of this and maybe come back in 2 years to find a Rebecca who has gone through a lot of therapy. When is that season going to be?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just want Greg to be happy

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Great set up for what is sure to be a fantastic second season. I love this show so much.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Knockknees posted:

So it wasn't a very exciting episode but I guess that's what you have to do when you are resetting the stage for a new central conflict of the season and setting everyone up for new arcs and stuff.

Can we just magically hide everything from Greg forever please? Like I know being honest with ourselves and others in an essential moral of the show but ugh Greg should just go to Emory and never hear of any of this and maybe come back in 2 years to find a Rebecca who has gone through a lot of therapy. When is that season going to be?

Yes, except I want to follow Greg around and not Rebecca because her gaslighting Josh really skeeved me out. Also calling him Joshie like Valencia did. ewwwww

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Greg :(

It made me so sad last season that every time someone tried to improve themselves, something would happen to make them backslide. :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The site that said CXG would be up on Netflix UK Sunday mornings was a dirty liar it is actually the morning after! (sorry if I confused any other Brit goons)

Watching now.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I actually held off on watching this because I can't stand musicals, but thankfully you don't lose anything plot-wise if you skip the songs. It's now one of my favorite shows as a result. So, uh, if there's anyone else out there that's been holding out because of the musical aspect, I really urge you to watch it anyway.

Second season is off to a strong start. Good one-liners, and Paula's relationship continues to be hilarious. Really looking forward to watching new eps and the inevitable trainwrecks that come throughout. And Bloom's crazy eyes are still on-point.

I still really liked the first theme more though. :(

e: oh god the skywriter plan

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I always like it when Rebecca actually sings a bit for real. How hard is it for a professional singer like Bloom to make their voice ever so slightly of tune? (In case you're wondering, that is actually intentional.)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Super funny premiere and sets up the season well as Zaggitz said. Wasn't a massive fan of the first song (and, thinking in a "I want this show to be popular as hell" way, it could potentially alienate a lot of new viewers with its weirdness [even if that's their own fault for being dumb and lame]), but loved the second. Really looking forward to how the Greg and Paula stories develop.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Was this episode super funny? It seemed very functional from a set up perspective, but there weren't a lot of lol moments for me. Long over-analysis post incoming!

I laughed the most at Greg the dream falcon: "tell Emory she's not getting her shirt back!"

Otherwise I found most of the dialogue to be too expository to be funny. Contrasting it with the first few episodes of season 1, Rebecca is still making bad decisions, but she doesn't have as much showing that she is sympathetic, interesting, or funny in her own right. She spends most of her time in the episode trying to manipulate Josh, push Paula into behaving in a way she doesn't want to, and looking for Greg not out of concern for him but out of a selfish need for validation of her bad Josh choices. Not someone I'd be rooting for if this was the first episode I'd seen. Her only pathos came from the very relatable love kernels song.

What I did like about the episode was the arcs and themes it seems to be setting up for the future. Paula and Greg have gained insight that they were feeding their respective addictions, and that they'll be happier if they try to fill that void with self improvement instead. Josh gets handed an insight from his boss that he needs to grow up. As we already knew, a big flaw is his emotional immaturity which had probably been kept in stasis in part by being stuck in the same relationship rut with Valencia since high school. By moving in with his parents he gets a chance to metaphorically reset and start that journey over from the beginning. Rebecca... well she clearly still needs help getting back on the self improvement path. If the theme song is a clue, I think we'll see her struggling with a delusion about what love is and looking for the wrong things out of love for at least half the season before she starts seeing any light.

I both love and hate that backsliding is a thing that happens on this show. I look forward to seeing them improve but that just makes their later bad decisions so hard to watch! I'm hoping to see more father brah and dr akopian this season, and I hope they show that counseling can be helpful in dealing with these issues. I like that Paula now has her husband as a sounding board.

Finally, it will be interesting to see how they talk about alcoholism on this comedy show. Does anyone else remember the alcoholism story line from Boy Meets World? I'm getting reminded of that for some reason.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Haven't gotten to watch the new episode yet but it's already up on the UK/Ireland Netflix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

loving hell I love this show and that first episode this season kicked it off to a great start.

• Locked thread