Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This is a great OP for an even greater series. Thanks for this. I'm even more excited now. I love that you would sell people on it with "I'm a good person" and "I give good parent" as well these songs are so catchy.
All in all it's a really well done OP. I actually considered tweeting it to Bloom. But right now the SA paywall is up anyway.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Hell, I convinced my sister to give it a try after I showed her "Heavy boobs" because I knew she felt similar. Different tastes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Not really into the song but it's short and cute. I like how the cold stare at the end is just long enough to get slightly irritated. I hope this is not just a thing in the trailer.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Spoilers!

Here, have some previews I found down the back of youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2VF6iBIOWk

That's private.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Well, that seems healthy.
Darryl's is looking great!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

Did the new theme get taken down? I can't find it anywhere.

Rachel Bloom has you covered.
https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/788026495818018816

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I always like it when Rebecca actually sings a bit for real. How hard is it for a professional singer like Bloom to make their voice ever so slightly of tune? (In case you're wondering, that is actually intentional.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
One day I will manage to not spoil myself on the musical numbers. This is not the day. I love that genre. Even though she just stands in the background, Heather has a cool outfit.

EDIT: I love this song! I must have watched it a dozen times by now!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 28, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I love those subtle musical cues. When Rebecca made dinner she was humming "I give good parents" for a second. And when Paula rejected Darryl's letter of recommendation, a few notes of "I have friends." started playing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Knockknees posted:

Also, what about Valencia? Aren't we going to see her again? When/how?

Gabriel Ruiz is definitely still on the show. It will happen sooner or later and it might be kinda brutal. I just hope they don't make a cliche love quadrangle plot, where she throws herself on Gregg to piss of Rebecca and Josh.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Rebecca is very deluded so she likely thinks the reason Josh couldn't commit to Valencia is because she so obviously wasn't right for him. However, Rebecca so obviously is, so he should have no problems committing to her!......!

Yes. But at the same time, up to the end of the last episode, she was incapable of noticing flaws in his behavior. So in her mind she just didn't work hard enough. This love kernels relationship is ridiculously unbalanced and unhealthy and sadly, I know a few couples who are exactly like this. :smith:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I think she's slowly recognizing his flaws, or at least she clearly KNOWS he's not reciprocating this relationship and is just lying to herself about it. The key being she clearly knows she's lying to herself about it.

Josh and Rebecca won't last half the season, IMO. Josh is being too much of a dick and Rebecca's too conscious of it. I can't imagine Greg takes her back as he seems in a healthy enough place to realize that would be a mistake and be bothered by the Josh aspect of it all. So I'm hopefully we get Rebecca just being single for awhile and working on her poo poo.

In a certain way Crazy Ex-Girlfriend built itself a trap in the same way How I Met Your Mother did. We all like Rebecca enough that we kind of want her to stop hurting herself and others, but if she did get too healthy the show kind of loses its premise. That's a tough line to walk over time because eventually you get diminishing returns and people ask "when the gently caress is the mother going to show up?"

Greg may seem emotionally healthy right now, but Guardrail literally told him that this is mostly just the pink cloud phase and that he will be crushing down hard.

And when it comes to the comparison to HIMYM, I disagree. Ted was almost the worst part of this show, because he was always excruciating mediocre and personality free. He was the bland audience stand-in who kept sleeping with hot woman, while being whiny about it. The rest of the cast was just so good that I managed to forget Ted most of the time.
The main character of this show is quite different. Rebecca is actually thoroughly developed and even though she is weird, you can understand what's causing it. It's not easy to relate to her, but if you do, you really do. And I love this show, but frankly I don't think there will be a third season. So at least it will probably end on a strong note. For the consumer, two great seasons are probably better than a dozen terrible ones.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm just going to leave this here.
https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/794499791522824192

I wonder if there is a single Trump supporter who likes this show.
It's a romantic musical comedy with a Jewish female lead and a cast which intentionally shows as much diversity as possible, written by outspoken feminists and supporters of planned parenthood.
That is basically the exact opposite of their taste. It's only missing the hate for guns.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 4, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
To be honest, I kinda hated that song. Not a Monroe fan at all and babyspeek is so awful.

I'm really interested how the show is going to handle Paulas problem. Even if you have extremely liberal views on the topic, it's still a deeply personal and emotional decision.
But looking at it from the outside, an abortion is obviously the best decision at this point.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Disgusting Coward posted:

Aren't they Catholic, though? They were getting counselling from Father Brah.

I guess they are. But to be honest I don't think that's what would stop them. Before she used the test, he basically said that they can "look at their options" once they know for sure.
That certainly doesn't sound like he methodically rules it out under any circumstances.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I loved Heather's parents. A warm, loving family which supports their daughter through every single stupid decision. They are basically the opposite of Rebecca's. Obviously they love their daughter very much, but this inflation of pride isn't emotionally healthy either. I want them to meet

Knockknees posted:

My friend who loves this show is conservative and anti abortion. while on the one hand i'd love to see a mainstream show show that abortion for any reason is ok, I also don't want there to be any wedge between myself and the person I enjoy the show with the most :(

I'm genuinely interested how your friend reacted to this episode now. (Especially with a bit of recent context. Personally I don't think I could be a friend of someone who actually made that decision happen. At least for a while...)
It was handled with a lot of tact and showed how much of an emotional situation it actually is. In many shows, or stories an abortion is a point of conflict between the characters. So I'm happy to see how supportive Paula's husband was. He knew that it was her decision (even though they are Catholics) and he agreed with her, while doing his best to make her comfortable.

Also it was kinda great how Paula was lying in her bed and they were talking about the Doctor's advice. They were clearly implying what happened, without actually saying the word. But then their useless son shouts it around, trying to be helpful.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The lesson here is that if you want to bond with someone, you should kidnap them to have a shared drug dream in the desert before peeing on something together.
Josh is seriously kinda mentally unwell.

Also that college douche was great. Of course he has a fedora!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 19, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Literally everything you wanted to happen in your last post happened so I dunno what there is to complain about.

Also who the hell complains about plot and character development in a serialized show? Like what?

Obviously the episode was missing a musical number where the three girls complain about men. It's right there in the post you are referencing.
But yeah, complaining about plot/character work feels kinda weird. "I really like this office comedy, but I think it should focus less on developing the characters and more on what's really important. Filling out contracts and forms, writing letters and emails. making telephone calls and you commute!"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Senerio posted:

Thought Bubbles has been stuck in my head all week.

You can't even fight that thought. It hits the gym way more than you do.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

RedneckwithGuns posted:

If Trent doesn't become a regular it's a terrible mistake

I'm pretty sure he murdered those clients.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

The recurring gag of Valencia turning to Heather to find out if she's being a girl-friend right was my favorite thing of that episode.

I actually really like that girl gang. For each of them it is the first time they are part of such a group. All for completely different reasons.

adhuin posted:

Trent is getting ready song :dance:

Where's the full song, dammit.
I'm still waiting for the full version of "Dear Rebecca Nora Bunch".

I wonder if there is a single person who just doesn't grasp the similarities between those two and finds Rebecca cute and endearing, while Trent is a scary creep.
Trent is the best. The actor is quite good at portraying someone who is somewhat offputting and ever so slightly terrifying.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 4, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

"what happened to just regular coffee" jokes in 2016? weak, guys.

Yeah it kinda is.
But I liked the fact that the barista interprets "Pick whatever you like." as "Check every single bean for perfection."

All coffee tastes bad.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
By the way, Bloom is nominated for another golden globe.
But to be perfectly honest, I think Julia Louis-Dreyfus deserves it more. Veep was amazing last season.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

davebo posted:

Patton Oswalt was tweeting last night that he's on tonight's episode and that his character is SUPER creepy. Maybe his character made that craigslist post?

Wow Oswalt shows up basically everywhere. It's always nice to see him though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Paula, touch. the. ray. :stare:
Feels like someone doing you a favor. In a graveyard.

I like Nathaniel. In a show about diversity and personal happiness he ties everything a bit into reality. Of course he is the enemy, but I do think that character is more than a strawman.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 7, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

RENEWED MOTHERFUCKERS.

Edit: Excuse me while I cackle madly to myself.

Huh. I seriously love this show, but even I don't actually think that this is a reasonable business decision.
It feels like this show has about 10 fans. And whoever is in charge of the CW renewals is one (all?) of them.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 8, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Aside from White Josh and Hector, this episode had basically all mayor side characters in them.
The work crew, Heather, Valencia, Naomi, Dr. Akopian, Audra, Father Bra. I guess that's supposed to be expected in an episode which is all about telling people your relationship status and seeing them interact with your significant other.

Just imagine how frustrated Dr. Akopian must feel. She has basically been telling Rebecca to search for her own problems from the start. Then her old rabbi gives her the exact same advice and she actually listens to her instead. But the minute she's back in therapy everything breaks down again. Bursting into a therapy session is extremely rude and awful, Josh.

And that's a weak payoff for the Garfunkel ring. I still think that Josh should have randomly stumbled on it when he was looking for an engagement ring for Valencia in season 1.

Speaking of Valencia, she will probably be quite pissed at Josh now. Apparently he can ask the question and doesn't need dozens of years.

But despite all her bad decision making, I still really feel for Rebecca. Coming back to a house with which you don't associate anything positive is an awful feeling. Worst of all, you fall back into patterns and feel exactly as you did back then.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 14, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Really not liking the direction this show's been going in since the year started.

I'm sad to admit that you are right. I don't hate it and I still have fun, but it has been quite mediocre lately. I was definitely more enthusiastic last season.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Valencia as a wedding planner seems to fit quite well. She's a total control freak who needs to do all the micromanaging.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I mostly wasn't feeling this season, because it was pretending to much that the lovely stuff is actually important. But this finale was really really good. Pretty much every character had something do say or to do. The musical callbacks were cool. Also I usually don't focus on that stuff, but there were some great shots in there.

It's great that she made some sort of breakthrough by admitting that she's a "little bit" crazy. But rather than changing that she decides to lean into it. It's always good when characters realize what they actually want and what will make them truly happy. In Rebeccas case it's becoming a sociopathic maniac who vows to destroy a persons life while his family stands 20 foot away from her.

I was ambivalent about the renewal for season 3. But now I am excited again. I wonder how deep her mental episodes will go. I sort of want to see a song which is so chaotic that it might as well be from the Drakengard soundtrack. But I guess that stuff is not meant for TV.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I love the fact that this seasons theme song was pretty much what was going on in Rebecca's head while she was zombiefied in that mental institution. Naomi made that plea in front of the judge and it resonated in Rebecca's head. Just substitute the picture of Josh.

That song becomes even way more creepy if you imagine how a drugged up arsonist keeps singing it to herself.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Thought bubbles, Greg's drinking song or bust!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Next year just put them in a random permutation. With our luck all the good songs will be grouped together at the far left.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I can understand most of these, I guess, but Research over You Go First is insaaaaaaaaaane

Nah.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Greg is my main squeeze but I didn't really like his drinking song as much as Love Triangles.

Heresy!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I don't really like Rachel's affectation in it but I found the increasing irritation of the mathematicians very funny!

Yeah. Those guys where kinda cool. But as a mathematician myself, I hate the implicit idea that some people consider their ignorance cute or adorable. I am absolutely sure that they didn't really mean it that way, but I dislike that song nonetheless. Those affectations are really awful as well.
It probably doesn't help that I have no particular interest in the era that song is aping.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

They're deliberately awful -- the song's satirizing those exact ideas.

I am aware of that. But I think there is an oversaturation of satire. If a topic or a person annoys me enough that I just want it to be gone, I don't like satires about it either. That's also the reason I don't really enjoy Alec Baldwins well-done political sketches on SNL anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
You guys have terrible tastes!

• Locked thread