Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I doubt it'd be a Marston prequel, if only because the actor who played him since left Hollywood and works construction in the Midwest, and it'd feel weird to recast such a drat iconic voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Red Dead Redemption was the best game of the PS3/360 Era hands down. I'm super excited for the sequel. I hope they go further back in time since RDR was all about the turn of the century and the end of the West.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Crappy Jack posted:

it'd feel weird to recast such a drat iconic voice.

This is the games industry.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Crappy Jack posted:

I doubt it'd be a Marston prequel, if only because the actor who played him since left Hollywood and works construction in the Midwest, and it'd feel weird to recast such a drat iconic voice.

I'm pretty sure rockstar money would bring the guy back. Unless there's more to this?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Norns posted:

I'm pretty sure rockstar money would bring the guy back. Unless there's more to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NuYx8oP_S8

Polygon actually tracked the guy down and made a short documentary about it. Long story short, he didn't like Hollywood at all and moved back home to raise a family and be happy.

Although it would be super ironic for him to get pulled back into the life he tried to get away from when his past catches up to him, all things considered.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

The new art shows more character detail.

I thought there might actually be female protagonist but doesn't look like it.

Don't worry, all of their weapons will have female names.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
"I always have my trusty six shooter with me. Yup, ol' Ruth Bader Ginsburg has never let me down."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm very curious about the multiplayer though I suppose they won't be talking about it for a while.

GTA Online was such a profound clusterfuck on so many levels that I really wonder what lessons they took away from it.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Crappy Jack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdtzII2hDm0

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

But that does feel weird. Sam Fisher may as well be an entirely separate character because he isn't similar to the old Sam Fisher at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No Mods No Masters posted:

GTA Online was such a profound clusterfuck on so many levels that I really wonder what lessons they took away from it.

They made so much money from it that they never bothered to make single player add-on content so it wouldn't surprise me if they've gotten complacent and learned nothing. :shrug:

I really, really wish GTAV got a proper expansion. The game just felt built for modular content, with the character switching system.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

blackguy32 posted:

But that does feel weird. Sam Fisher may as well be an entirely separate character because he isn't similar to the old Sam Fisher at all.

And it's made worse by him being like 15 years younger for no apparent reason.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

They made so much money from it that they never bothered to make single player add-on content so it wouldn't surprise me if they've gotten complacent and learned nothing. :shrug:

I really, really wish GTAV got a proper expansion. The game just felt built for modular content, with the character switching system.

I would definitely expect to see the shark cards and general progression brought over, though I imagine relative to cash in a modern day setting there are limits to hawking increasingly blinged out cowboy tat (prove me wrong guys!)

I was mostly thinking about everything else that was broken or mis-designed about GTA online even excluding the business model, but it's still a list so daunting that it's hard to even know where to begin

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Norns posted:

Yeah. Disappointed. Was looking forward to the billion thought pieces written about a lead female in a rockstar game.

dont worry. now you will get a billion thought pieces written about how rockstar is bad and pernicious for not having one. but for real, personally i was hopping for a django unchained type thing, but who knows.

Crappy Jack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NuYx8oP_S8

Polygon actually tracked the guy down and made a short documentary about it. Long story short, he didn't like Hollywood at all and moved back home to raise a family and be happy.

Although it would be super ironic for him to get pulled back into the life he tried to get away from when his past catches up to him, all things considered.

he said that he loved working on it. so they might bring him back if it is indeed a yonger marston. personaly i think its either jack or someone new.

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't you go get a glass of orange juice and spill it all over yourself like a big dumb baby

Guy on the far left is John. Guy next to the middle dude is definitely Bill Williamson.

I'm gonna assume the middle guy is the new character you play as in a prequel where you're a part of Dutch's gang.

Which, if true, means we're gonna see all the hosed up poo poo John did back when he was a dirty outlaw.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Could be we're playing as Dutch before he become a total psychopath. I always thought he was an interesting and underdeveloped character.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

dont worry. now you will get a billion thought pieces written about how rockstar is bad and pernicious for not having one. but for real, personally i was hopping for a django unchained type thing, but who knows.

he said that he loved working on it. so they might bring him back if it is indeed a yonger marston. personaly i think its either jack or someone new.

The thought pieces will hem and haw indignantly about how R* can no longer afford to be ~insensitive~ to (groups) in (current year).

Game will go on to sell 15+ million copies.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think I'd like it more if we were playing a rival gang (Or Texas/Federal Marshall, or bounty hunter) that was tasked with taking down Dutch's gang.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'm kinda hoping that this is the first Rockstar game where you play as a cop/US marshal/sheriff/lawman.

EDIT: I also hope nobody from RDR 1 makes an appearance beyond a cameo. Seriously, there are so many interesting stories you can tell in an open-world Western game that have nothing to do with John and the gang.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

isk posted:

Rockstar's become pretty good about PC ports since Max Payne 3. Considering the PC market is profitable again (partly due to excellent DRM that's both difficult to crack and effectively invisible to the user), expecting a PC port a year after the console release isn't unreasonable. I don't think they'll go for a simultaneous release, but I'd be happy to be surprised there.

the GTAV port was pretty poo poo for a while after release, and that was after multiple extended delays

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm kinda hoping that this is the first Rockstar game where you play as a cop/US marshal/sheriff/lawman.

As opposed to LA Noir?

Still hoping they release a version of the first two games for current consoles to drum up interest.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

As opposed to LA Noir?

Whoops, you're right. My hope still stands though.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Didn't John and his guys roll with a Mexican dude? You kill him in the first game and it doesn't look like he's in that poster.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

The first time I saw footage from the game and heard his voice I thought it was supposed to be a prequel with a really young Sam Fisher operating during the Cold War or something. There are parts on the plane where he's talking with his daughter on the phone and she sounds older than he does.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MrQwerty posted:

the GTAV port was pretty poo poo for a while after release, and that was after multiple extended delays

I have no proof, but I'm 70% certain that the GTAV port almost broke my PC and destroyed my liquid cooler.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

The thought pieces will hem and haw indignantly about how R* can no longer afford to be ~insensitive~ to (groups) in (current year).

Pretty much. The game will sell a fuckton of copies and the dips who are heming and hawing will either not buy or knock it in reviews but they will get called names and run off too their respective hug boxes until the next game hits.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Norns posted:

Yeah. Disappointed. Was looking forward to the billion thought pieces written about a lead female in a rockstar game.

Peas and Rice posted:

I was looking forward to the rage of a couple thousand MRAs and Gamergaters who suffer a collective aneurism when RDR2 shipped 14 million copies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

bloodysabbath posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Pretty much. The game will sell a fuckton of copies and the dips who are heming and hawing will either not buy or knock it in reviews but they will get called names and run off too their respective hug boxes until the next game hits.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
For the longest time I thought it was John DiMaggio playing Marston

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Point taken. So I assume this one will take place before rdr or after?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

What the hell is wrong with some of you? There is nothing wrong with asking for better representation with games. I mean GTA V was pretty abysmal when it came to women. I just want more games where you don't have to play as white dudes. And considering the time period, it would be perfectly reasonable to play as an African American or Mexican person considering that a significant amount of those groups were cowboys.

But I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I was being serious. I wanted a female lead so I could read write ups about it. :shrug:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

Guy on the far left is John. Guy next to the middle dude is definitely Bill Williamson.

I'm gonna assume the middle guy is the new character you play as in a prequel where you're a part of Dutch's gang.

Which, if true, means we're gonna see all the hosed up poo poo John did back when he was a dirty outlaw.

I'd be down with this. New guy we've never heard of with a brand new story who rolls with Marston & friends for a little bit before going off to do other stuff. Be interesting if they have multiple protagonists you can control that enter and leave the story as they get introduced or killed.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

blackguy32 posted:

What the hell is wrong with some of you? There is nothing wrong with asking for better representation with games. I mean GTA V was pretty abysmal when it came to women. I just want more games where you don't have to play as white dudes. And considering the time period, it would be perfectly reasonable to play as an African American or Mexican person considering that a significant amount of those groups were cowboys.

But I guess we will just have to wait and see.
To be fair, GTA has never tried to take anything ever seriously, apart from IV I guess.

With that being said, Red Dead Redemption featured some pretty good female characters IIRC, so it's kinda surprising one isn't a lead this time.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I was okay with a female lead cause then i could oogle her. Was there historically any cool female cowboys?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Off the top of my head there's Annie Oakley but she was more of trick shooter/performer.

The idea of a rancher's only daughter being raised as a cowboy is common enough in the old westerns that I'm sure the idea had to spring from somewhere though.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 18, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Dongattack posted:

I was okay with a female lead cause then i could oogle her. Was there historically any cool female cowboys?

A handful.

Rose Dunn and Perl Heart come to mind.

Also tell me those are :krad: cowboy names.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Dongattack posted:

Calamity Jane I guess

Reading about this on Neogaf is loving hysterical btw.

"MUH DIVERSITY!!!" "WHY IS EVERYBODY WHITE???" "WHERE'S ALL THE INDIANS AT"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Reading about this on Neogaf is loving hysterical btw.

"MUH DIVERSITY!!!" "WHY IS EVERYBODY WHITE???" "WHERE'S ALL THE INDIANS AT"

It might be that you are wrong.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dongattack posted:

Belle Starr was a notorious outlaw who rode with the James gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dongattack posted:

Technically not a cowboy, but close enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Fields

• Locked thread