Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Troy Queef posted:

351 current and former CHL players have joined a class-action lawsuit over not being paid proper wages.

Surprised this story hasn't gained more traction, especially in light of the large amounts of coverage a similar lawsuit involving minor-league baseball players has received.

Junior hockey is very very very ingrained in Canadian culture. Anything that challenges it is going to have trouble gaining traction in traditional media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Infidel Castro posted:

No, but I hope it continues because it's that type of thinking that let Hexy draft Konecny.

Konecny dropped because of his injury issues more than because of his size.

e: also goddamn I was so mad at Ottawa not drafting him

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Dirty Burger posted:

Currently on a 17 game goal streak now, was there a reason he fell to the 2nd besides size? He scored 51 goals in his draft year

100% size

To be fair he is very little.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

His style of play isn't at all that of a small perimeter guy where size starts to become an issue at the higher level. His game is 100% bum rushing the net or banging in pucks from three feet out. He might have a bit of a transition to the pros as the guys consistently get stronger, but he's so agile and shifty that he's never really had a problem slipping by some of the tougher/better guys in the OHL so far. There's a very good chance he'll be at least a consistent 20 goal guy in the NHL.

Yeah I'm not questioning his value. I would have taken him in the first round.

His size is 100% the reason he dropped though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pleads posted:

Really hoping Charlottetown makes it to the finals, seeing them go 8-0 through the first two rounds was great.

Moose Jaw's 19 year-old starting goaltender just committed to the UofA Golden Bears, skipping his over-ager CHL season. Pretty good article about it: http://ingoalmag.com/news/sawchenko-leaves-whl-early-commits-university-alberta/

This is fantastic. Good for this guy for recognizing the opportunity he has in front of him. Pro hockey will still be there when he's 23.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not getting drafted must have been a serious gut punch.

For a goalie, CIS hockey really shouldn't be the end of the road if he wants to go pro afterwards.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stretch Marx posted:

That's why I find Junior hockey somewhat sad. You watch these players do their thing for like 5 years in your city and then either get drafted or shafted. Everyone that gets drafted you hope does well just because you watched them as kids. I have the feeling that this year's Sea Dogs team has a lot of them. A bunch of the vets are drafted but it'll be something for them to make the NHL I think.

The ones who get an education usually end up doing ok. Company I work for certainly ices a hell of a corporate hockey team with former junior players.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Duke Chin posted:

Absolutely 100% the same that's why I'm basically the only dude in the nhl threads that likes Thomas Hockey on the isles or Pickard on the Avs and wants them to do well :v:

Also why every 67 is awesome and I desperately as them to succeed. What do you mean Ryan Martindale isn't an NHLer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lots of leagues can't afford the 2-2-1-1-1 structure you see in the NHL

• Locked thread