Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Hard +0 | Cool +0 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird +0
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 2/5 | 1-armor | 2-barter

I rub the back of my neck. poo poo, this is going to be a day. Xon's taken care of, at least, and the crowd is...still restless. More than I'd like. I spot Gregg milling about, under that ridiculously shabby bowler hat of him. fancies himself something of a lawman out of the old old world. Would have been a relic even pre-fall, seems to think having a gun on his hip lets him tell people to do things his way. Even if you're thinking that way, best to remember who has more guns than you. Last scene he caused, got right up in Raina's face about bringing her husbands in. drat petty moralizer. Got a strict rule on him now - no tab, and gets bounced soon as he even opens his mouth. Everybody gets to come 'n drink in peace, I say.

Didn't expect to see Edith heading things up - figured Megan would have to drag her back. My whole body tenses, until she starts reassuring me and...

...poo poo, was I holding my breath? Did I really think Eed would leave me high and dry? Explains a lot, why I've got so few hands to clean and set up. It's not Edith pulling up stakes it's something...worse.

"Eeeeeeds," I say with a grin and then I roll my eyes. "Like I'd muss a pair of socks just for you," I tease her. "Farn's been with you a long while. Others might drift, but him?" I shake my head. "Sounds like trouble. Who'd you piss off this time? Beyond me." I'm close to her now, and my hand twitches halfway to her waist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Hard +1 | Cool +1 | Hot -2 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 0/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

We simply responded, "The Maelstrom may provide your answers -- for a price. Have your offer ready when you arrive." I left the woman to her numbers, then continued on the winding route back to my shelter. I was making fair time. Easily enough to stow the bomb and arrive to the meeting point early. The cart's wheel squeaked, punctuating my passage through the empty streets. It was remarkable how many had piled into the market. The rest of the hold seemed to be deserted, even just a few hundred meters away.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Duchess, M looks at you for a long while, then shrugs. "Heard about another market day off to the west. I'll be moving on in two days if I haven't heard a deal."

He's giving you a deadline of two days to make your decision, but otherwise, he's content to let you pick up the tab for him for now.

Well, it's bought you some time, but he doesn't seem worried that he'll have trouble finding other buyers. Who are you worried he'd sell the info to, in particular?

Also, looks like Aurica might have some problems of her own with entertainment tonight. The Storm is outside the hold, sure, but you'll have to put up with a lot of poo poo if people don't get to blow off steam tonight. Or do you want to focus on finding out what that Jazz kid done? Or maybe just trying to find some deals yourself down in the barter pit?

And, as an aside, what's something that you forbid to be traded on market day? Why?

What do you do?

Mastiff, you make it through the mirror fields without any trouble, and after peeking through a barred window, you see an exhausted looking Rash snoring away on a dirty pile of rags. Unfortunately, there's a guard posted outside the door to the shack. Her clothing is made of the shiny fabric that Big Mounders are known for. It's not armor, really, but it's supposed to help keep them cool. She's also got a pistol on her hip, and she's rocking back and forth on a chair, watching the dust clouds in the distance grow closer.

What do you do?

Aurica, Edith lets out a huff as you tease her, saying, "Me? I've been nothing but an angel, dear." She gestures you away from Duchess before saying, "But... Farn's been hooked on dust for a while. He ended up in debt, and he said he had a way out. But... I ain't seen him since he went down to the market to make the trade. Think he was going to go meet some Black Earth Leaguers to square things up, but..." She shrugs, not having anything else to say. They're a rough crew, but they don't tend to murder for fun. You've had a few of them pass through. Black Earth League live down in coal mines to the southwest and are always covered in coal soot that they use to help protect from the sun the rare times they go aboveground during the day.. What was your last encounter with some of them like in the Storm?

She looks around and adds, grinning, "So, after this show... you have any plans, girl?"

One track mind on that girl.

What do you do?

Eye, Sunny Jim gives you a grin, saying, "Oooh, I got some good stuff. Heard 'bout some kidnapping that happened just last night. And a few people skipped town, too. But first, what you got for me?"

What do you do?

Needles, from the sound of it, you won't be finding out about that factory any time soon. But, you've got your hands full with this Xon guy, anyway. Once you put him under so you can work, you here him muttering in his sleep. What's he say about Aurica?

You get back and help the other lunks move Xon into your clinic. Erfboi's lurking outside your place, though... That could be worrisome.

Also, who are you planning on collecting from for this patch job, anyway?

What do you do?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Cool+3 Hard-1 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird=0
Harm 0:00 XP 4/5 2 Armor 2 Barter

A single guard and not an attentive one at that. Too easy. I press against the wall at the corner of the shack and ready my rifle. I spin around the corner and point the rifle at the woman's head. I hold a finger to my lips. When I have her attention I say, "How about you hand me that pistol of yours?" I hold out the free hand to accept it.

Go Aggro 11. She has to give what I want, or eat poo poo and die

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News
Hard +1 | Cool +0 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Barter=1 | Harm=0:00 | XP ●●○○○»

Ahhh, Sunny Jim is refreshingly simple to deal with and I love her for it. I pull out my little book and turn to The Playlist and show it to her. “Same as usual babe, you give me the goods and you get to choose the tunes for the next week.” I catch her eye and hold her gaze. “And if you happen to have a tell of some nastiness last Market Day, I’ll make you a Day-Jay.”

Manipulate Sunny Jim: 2d6+2 9

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Cool +1 Hard +2 Hot +1 Sharp +1 Weird -2
Barter=3 | Harm=0:00 | XP 3/5

Prick better not eat or drink much, if that's his attitude. And if he thinks he can just go and find another buyer like snapping his loving fingers he's batshit. The only other 'Market Day' within any kind of travel distance to the west is at Bled-Dry, and those fucks won't give him nothing but a bullet to the back of the head for his trouble. Then they'd probably sell the stash or the info on to the Clickers and those blind assholes would probably burn the whole lot just to prove a point. No, if he wants to leave before I have the location out of him he's going to be sorely loving disappointed.

If the crowd gets nasty at the Storm tonight I can use that as an excuse make a move on the whole operation, keep Aurica as a manager and have another direct revenue stream so that don't confront me none. Eye is on the hook for finding someone to give to the Convoy now, so that's safely delegated. I may as well enjoy the day. The ebb and flow of commerce in my town, the sound of jingle changing hands, two urchins kicking the poo poo out of each other over a scrap of meat, noisy loving from Mis-Cheef's place, a stream of freaks and losers from all over the wastes...and yet something's not right. Can't put a finger on it yet, but as I do little light haggling over some ammo for the techincals the hair on my neck is starting to stand on end.

Read a Sitch: 2d6+1 6

What should I be on the lookout for?

But I can expect the worst

The last time a market day went sour some waster had bought in a piece of old world hi-tech that looked like it would play music, but when it got rigged up to a generator the 'sound' was like an explosion. Half a dozen dead, more deaf for life, a loving riot, the works. I've put a ban on unidentified 'devices' inside the walls for that exact reason. This feels different, an absence rather than a presence.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Sundown, where are you hiding the bomb? Why do you think it won't be discovered?

Also, as you're headed towards Eye, which survivor from the last hold you were at do you spot in the crowd? What awful injury are they still nursing?

I'll get the rest of yall tomorrow, but just didn't wanna leave Sundown out of the loop.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 0:00 | Experience: 1/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

I slide the door to the hidden compartment closed and it latched shut with a satisfying clunk. The residents of this hovel had been less simple than I had thought. Perhaps smugglers of some stripe. Yet, in the end, their hiding spot was no match for the nose of a Wolf. It would, in fact, be turned to my own purposes. The Maelstrom's purposes. I felt a rare smile cross my face. This device promised to spur the world in such interesting directions. And this meeting with Eye? Truly, the Maelstrom moved in ways beyond the grasp of the mortal mind. It's machinations were both endless and impossibly complex.

I left the house I was using and started winding my way back through the streets to Eye's meeting place. The crowd parted around me, as before, but this merely served to put an unexpected face in my view. He was one of the security guards that had been injured in my escape from Hormel. Unless I missed my guess, he had suffered a gunshot through his lower jaw from one of the guards I had controlled. It was quite unpleasant to look upon and the bandages holding his face together did not do much to improve the view. His presence indicated a variable that I had not anticipated. Trance. He would be here as well, then, and I knew him to be a man of conviction. This situation would require suborning his guards once again to ensure the odds remained in my favor. My steps grew quieter and quieter as I approached the man, an odd silence surrounding me as I walked towards him.

quote:

[21:11:21] <Tricky> Sundown spookily sneaks up on security
[21:11:25] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[21:11:29] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5+2 =

+XP, but what will it cost to succeed?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
"Needles" Skip D'Wa, the Angel
Cool+1 | Hard=0 | Hot+1 | Sharp+2 | Weird-1
Harm 0:00 EXP 0/5 Armor 1 Barter 2 Stock 5/6

First things first, when I roll up to that clinic and I see skyfucking Erfboi outside I decide it's time to give my best badass impression to get him out of there.
"poo poo for brains the gently caress you doing here!" I shout "This isn't some two-bit clown poo poo, this is a loving clinic and unless you've got a canteen of fresh water then you better gently caress off before your boss finds out what you're up to." I have no idea if Duchess told him to come by here herself or not, but I'm guessing not. She understands the clinic works better if I'm in charge of it and nobody else fucks around. I think she does at least.
Once I'm done yelling I turn around and head over to pick up Xom before he can say anything in reply. Nothing good can come out of his mouth right now and I don't want him thinking that he's worth keeping an eye on.

After Xon's in the clinic I dismiss everybody but Shugusa and get to work. I treat him special since boss-lady seems to have an interest in his recovery. Hopefully she'll be getting me paid for this, if not though it's fine, next time I gently caress up I can remind her that she owes me one. Plus I can probably get some drinks at the Eye of the Storm. Favors are better then jingle in my book, since no rat-thief can sneak in and steal 'em.

I get him sedated and get to work, he's not under too deep so keeps muttering about masks and his broken jaw. That' not even what's hurt, but to be fair he's pretty stoned out of his gourd right now. He's at his most coherent when he talks about Aurica, at one point muttering "Gotta pay you back for the help burying that body. Gotta make things right about Three Eyes." No telling if he's talking figuratively or not.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Needles, that's pretty solid reasoning, vis a vis favors vs jingle. Anyone ever stiff you on a favor?
Still, Erfboi doesn't seem to get the hint, as he shows up to darken the inside of your clinic, yelling, "Hey, you got Rowlf in here? I got a score to finish with him?

It's just you, Xon and Shugusa right now, with old man Rowlf stuck behind some of the tattered tarps you use as curtains farther in the back.

What do you do?

Duchess, as one eyed ammo merchant hands over the belt of bullets while she grumbles something about an "ice bitch" under his breath, you can feel the hairs on the back of your neck standing on end. There's eyes staring at you. More than normal staring of "Holy poo poo, is that Duchess?" too. They're watching you.

That's when the cry of "Lord Mad-Cap can never die! Death to the pretender!" echos from around you. A handful of men in robes that were concealing makeshift breastplates (armor 1) start pushing through the crowd towards you waving rusted bits of metal that could generously be called swords.

People are screaming, your boys are looking to you for orders, and you think that guy might have short changed you on those bullets for the techincals.

Fuckin' Market Day, am I right?

What do you do?

Since your folk have guns, you can attack without fear of getting harm back. However, the crowd is gonna take half of the harm if you do that. If you want to wait for them to get closer and the crowd to empty out more, you can resolve your violence as normal.

Also, why does Erfboi want to put Rowlf so bad? What could Rowlf have said that would have set Erfboi off so hard?

Sundown, the unnerving silence surrounding you breaks as the assassination attempt breaks out into a riot. You still wanna sneak up on Trance? You're gonna go low and muscle through that panicked crowd to get behind him, taking 1 harm. Otherwise, you turn tail, and he'll catch sight of you, knowing that you're somewhere around here.

What do you do?

Eye, Sunny Jim eyes the tunes hungry, but eventually shakes her head, saying, "I... dunno. No. Nope. This is pretty good stuff, Eye. Toss in some jingle, and you got yourself a deal. Trust me, you won't regret it. You broadcast this and everyone's gonna be talkin'."

What do you do?

Mastiff, her eyes go wide and she throws her hands up before understanding what you want. Then, holding the pistol in two fingers as if it were a snake that could bite her at any moment, she slowly moves to hand it to you without ever being able to point it at you. Slamming it against the lock on the door, the door swings open, and the exhausted, sweaty Rash looks up at you with blinking eyes, saying, "Whatdoyawant? I can't do no more work today, lady."

Looks like both of you are free, but that dust cloud is awful close and the sun's still beating down hot. Turning away from the shiny mirrors shows that the path to the front gate is mostly unblocked, with only a few people dragging junk metal up the street towards the shack.

What do you do?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Barter=3 | Harm=0:00 | XP 3+2/5

"Your loving prices, I outta flog you outta my market for being a loving thief, gently caress. These bullets better all be good or-"

Jagged loving dust, now what? People throwing down out of loyalty to Mad-Cap? My hand reaches for the grenade inside my jacket, but I stop. This has to end cleanly and clearly, no collateral damage or signs of weakness. A sharp whistle that cuts over the crowd noise and some hand gestures bring all of my guards in the immediate vicinity running, and I draw my knife. It's a good knife, and I've got way more guys than they do, but I might have to spill some of my own blood to end it my way. Whatever.

"Alright boys, it's Market Day. Let's do some business."

Leadership: 2d6+2 8

They do it.

Seize by Force: 2d6+2 6

Exchanging Harm, taking definite and undeniable control of it (The market place)

Harm depends on how many of the Guards are present - I'm assuming enough to make this large v small gang fight, but if the bulk of the gang is elsewhere it turns into Medium v small. First scenario we do 3-harm and have 3 armor, otherwise it's 2 and 2.

Marking 2xp? for rolling hard twice

When the dust settles a little I've got the one who yelled in a headlock and as I'm slowly forcing my blade into his eye socket I give him a history lesson.

"Mad-Cap said the some loving thing when I took this place from him, you know what I said then? Everyone dies. That day was his turn. Today? Today it's you."

The kicking intensifies for a while, and then subsides. I stand up, wipe the blood and brain off on his already filthy robe and gesture at Blow Dog.

"Clean this poo poo up. Any of 'em still breathing get locked up so I can ask what joker put them up to this. Everyone else, get the gently caress back to shopping, huh? Commerce ain't gonna comm itself!"

quote:

Also, why does Erfboi want to hurt Rowlf so bad? What could Rowlf have said that would have set Erfboi off so hard?

The thing with Erfboi is as much as I love him like a stupid little brother, he is loving thick. And he knows it. And he knows people know it. And Rowlf's never been shy about giving him stick for it, especially because Rowlf and Zephyr are close and Erfboi wants to gently caress Zephyr so Rowlf has been using that as leverage. If Rowlf said something about Zephyr no longer being part of any kind of deal, well...Erfboi is slow but he's got a real good memory. I normally give him a lot of rope, but loving with Needles or the clinic is way out of line.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 14, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Harm 0:00 XP 4/5 2 Armor 2 Barter

"Good girl." I Pat the guard on the head. I do love it when people listen.. I don't have to buy more bullets or get any blood on me. I slip the pistol into my satchel.

"Sir the Duchess needs you. You're good for one last trip through the mirrors, right?" I won't force him through if it'll kill him. But he needs to be drat sure it'll kill him and I think my tone makes that clear. I look at the gate. Probably better to try to hide. A sprint might give enough of a head start before they realize what's happening. But this guy isn't sprinting.

I look at the guard again and give her a warm smile. "You might not want to be around to explain why you couldn't do your job." I don't want her around to say who did this either.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 14, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 3:00 | Experience: 2/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

A riot. Unusual. The Maelstrom was clearly working its will upon the community. The sudden surge of violence left me little choice. I would need to expose myself to some level of risk to proceed in my plot to protect myself. I ducked into the melee. The crush of bodies knocked me around, my helmet banging into my scalp painfully. Enough to draw blood, but not enough to draw my immediate concern. My cuts would heal. Those who wronged me would suffer the consequences in due time.

Taking 1-harm (ap).

My hand slammed into the back of his head, my thoughts following shortly behind. No need for subtlety within this chaos. What was another scream in this sea of noise?

quote:

[22:35:15] <Tricky> Sundown does the Brain-String thing
[22:35:19] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[22:35:21] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8+2 =

Command is "Protect me," holding 3. +XP.

As Trance fell to his knees, I withdrew a syringe from my side. Normal people would be kept in line by the threat of pain and the slow destruction of their nervous system, but not Trance. No. I would need to make him more... pliable. The needle sunk into his neck and sent its contents throughout his blood. The Maelstrom had led me to this many weeks ago. The creatures inside were able to selectively multiply pain signals. It would be utterly excruciating if I were to exert my will upon him. He would be mine. The Maelstrom's. Or he would die.

Tagging him with the Implant Syringe, making my Brain-Strings deal 2-harm.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 23, 2016

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Here she is.
/
"Always," I say, trying not to embrace her, or worse, in front of Duchess and my staff. Edith leads us both away from the group, to a quieter spot up against the wall of the Storm.

"Black Earth," I hiss, and frown. "gently caress." In a world of crews and cults, Black Earth gives me the shuddering heebies. They're not murder happy - I almost wish they were, because then they'd inevitably turn against each other. No, the Black Earthers are focused, intense, and organized. Way more dangerous. Living in the mines makes some kind of sense - it's safe, protected, only one entrance. Get down there too long and get some weird ides in your head - that the coal is life, the distilled essence of god, that mining is the mark of strength, and other weird poo poo that I haven't been able to make coherent.

I deal with them like I deal with some of my pre-fall stuff, delicately, like it could break at any moment. I buy some coal from them, and the occasional piece of equipment they've salvaged. The Storm can run on eco for normal ops, but there's not enough wind or sun to keep everything on when a show fires up. Those lights and amps suck down the volts like crazy, and for that I need to fire up the generator. Which means dealing with the Black Earth.

I run my hand through my hair. "I....I suppose I could find a way to buy his debt. He'd owe me," I make sure to point out, "but I'm less fantatic than the Black Earth."

When did I start holding her hand?

"Pretty sure I'm free."

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News

drat, actual, factual jingle’s always tight around KUSS. But Sunny Jim’s never done wrong by me, and I can’t fault the woman for providing for herself. And while the news she has may not directly be about Jazz, I might be able to leapfrog it into something that will help.

I overdramatically mime a pain in my chest, the smile never leaving my face. “Arggh, you’re bleeding me dry babe. No jingle on me, but-” I hold up a finger to fend off her comment “I do have these.” I reach into my pack and pull out a handful of vacuum tubes, strung on a piece of wire like a necklace. “These aint right for KUSS’ guts, but they work fine. Any of the techies will trade for them, and Kernel Ortega might even give you some of their superfood for ‘em. Square?”

handling over my 1-barter. Going to need to run a gig once I get Jazz out of this jam.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

People generally want to stay on my good side, especially if they live in town. Parakeet skipped town after I set him up with a new fake leg once, no idea where that jackass ended up but I ended up having to eat that one. Live and learn eh?

Fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress it I cannot deal with this today. I'm not getting my Clinic burned down by a psychopath and I'm not letting everyone think I'm a pushover. My gat is in the drawer right next to me luckily for me. I grab it and swing around at Erfboi doing my best badass and grab him by the collar. "Get the gently caress out of my house." I shout in his face.
poo poo, he's a lot bigger then me isn't he.

Going Agro: 2d6+0 4

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Needles, Erfboi grabs your wrist before you can level the gun, and he socks you right in the gut. The gun falls to the ground and he kicks it across the room, where it skitters behind the curtain that's hiding Rowlf. Then, he lets go of you, starts looking around, and booms, "Where the gently caress is he? He's gotta be around here somewhere."

What do you do?

Take a point of harm.

Eye, she looks at the string of shiny dangling parts and grins, "Oh, that's a sight for sore eyes. We'll be able to keep the ol' radio working for a long time with those. And, hey, that means we can hear KUSS all the time, so it's win-win, right?"

Grinning, she says, "Ok, early this morning. I get up and make sure the Mis-Cheef's is ready for market day, right? It still ain't light out, but I see some outsider get jumped by them folks from out in that old mine. They dragged him off to one of the empty storage sheds, and me being me, I go and peek in a window. But they ain't there! Long story short? They got a tunnel that leads from that shed and out under the wall, I bet. In fact, I bet they're still down there, since they're waiting for the sun to go down so they can head back home with that poor sap."

Her face goes sour as she adds, "Also, buncha welshers left town without settling their tab." She starts ticking them off on her fingers as she says their names, but holy poo poo! Secret tunnel into the hold? Duchess would probably flip her poo poo if she heard about that. Anyway, which name surprises you that they ducked out of town without paying?

What do you do?

Aurica, she lets out a little snort and says, "drat, it's poo poo like this that makes me wonder why I ever left." She squeezes your hand back and then leans in close, saying, "Well, if you got the jingle, why not send that girl of yours out to make a trade? And I'm sure we can find something to do while we wait?"

What do you do?

Sundown, forcing your way through the fear maddened crowd earns you more than your share of elbows and knees, but you manage to move behind Trance and deal with him before he can make a move. His eyes lose focus for a moment, but even while they're still unfocused, he grabs you by the arm and yanks you after him. Much bigger and stronger than you, he muscles his way through the crowd with little effort. He tosses you into the alley and then stands at the entrance of the alley, back to you while facing the crowd, decking anyone in the crowd that gets to close to your hidey hole. Looks like he's going to be standing there until things calm down, but that's probably going to be it for your compulsion.

You glance behind you to the freedom of the other end of the alley.

What do you do?

Mastiff, he looks surprised and says, "Wait, you ain't pullin my leg, missy? You really here to get me out?" Pulling himself up by the bits of wood jutting out of the shack's makeshift walls, he totters to his feet and says, "Well, what are we standing around here for?"

As you guide him through the mirrors, you see the dust cloud arrive at the gates of the settlement, and a yelling match starts that you can hear from your side of the camp. Once you exit, though Rash about near collapses panting. He's in pretty bad shape.

What do you do?

Duchess, Despite the chaotic organization of the defense, your boys easily repulse the attack, and they all seems to be in one piece. Still, who's gonna have the best scar, once all is said and done?

Your gang right now is Medium, as parts of it are still throughout the city, but with the one armor base and 2 from size, your boys are basically all fine.
They, on the other hand, leaderless mob that they are, are butchered, with the survivors scattered to the winds.

The crowd is much more muted than before, but you see goods start to change hands again. Jobber's voice carries over the low drone of the crowd, saying, "I got a live one here!" He kicks them to make sure, and then gestures to the others to come over and carry him off back to your keep. No one else on the ground seems to be moving, though.

What do you do?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Harm 0:00 XP 5/5 Armor 2 Barter 2

Ugh. If he wasn't good enough to go through the mirror field he should of said something. Now this is guaranteed to get messy. Well I've come this far I'm still getting my bonus drat it. "Tib! Come!" I shout to the dune so that Tib can register the voice command. The good boy comes trotting over like a loyal steed. I pull out a canteen from the pack and shove it into Rash's hand. "Don't touch any of my other stuff." I force him up onto Tib. "Tib! Home!" I smack the big dog's behind like it's an actual horse and the voice command sends it towards the Storm. Aurica shouldn't mind my charge pit stopping there while waiting for me. It's really the least of my concerns right now. Because I have to make sure the two make it there unharried.

I start running up a different dune. If they're bothering to look they probably see me. With any luck they don't even notice the other two. But if the goons do they shouldn't pass up the easier prey. Once I reach the top of the dune I press into the side of it facing away from the mound. I pull the ash over me to blend in. Best case, they fly over the tip of the dune and go on a snipe hunt for me past the next dune. Realistically? I have my halberd ready.

Subterfuge, be the bait, 7. They are fully drawn into the trap

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Barter=3 | Harm=0:00 | XP 0/5

Advance! Taking a manufactory.as a holding option, to be fluffed out later as Rash 'voluntarily helping' with the technical work

If that's the worst fight we have today I'll be...not grateful, but pleasantly surprised. There's a bit of a howl as Birdie gets over the shock of being hit in the forehead and the pain kicks in - looking at her it's not too bad, just bloody like head wounds get. A good flap of her scalp is loose, and that's kind of gross, but the brain isn't showing. Looks like she deflected a blow away from her face, which is a kind of lucky.

"Hell, Birdie, you weren't that pretty to begin with. Let's get you to Needles before you make any more of a mess."

Oh good, Jobber has a live one. Alright, set of orders for the gang:

• Secure the prisoner
  • Police up all the bodies - I'm not so rich I'm going to throw away armor, weapons and all the stuff you can do with a fresh corpse
  • Find whoever was on gate watch (Probably Moob and Grillz) and bring them in for a chat.
  • Yes you need to put someone else on the gate, don't loving argue.
  • Put the word out to patrol in strength until I'm satisfied this was all of them.

"And someone find Zeb. That tin-plated old bastard has work to do."

I grit my teeth and spit out the next instruction like it's choking me:

"And invite Sundown to the keep. Politely."

Time to see if having that freak around is even vaguely worth the trouble.

I'll walk Birdie to Needles myself. Hopefully the attackers had enough jingle on them to cover the glue for her face.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 24, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 3:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

Trance was efficacious. I will grant him that. He was able to rapidly remove me to safety with no additional injury. He was also, unfortunately, far too strong-willed. I could feel my control over him slipping already. The girl felt gratitude for her savior. I did not. I saw only a problem that would soon return to haunt me. I stared blankly at the man and exerted my will upon him. The flesh on his face began to bubble as the matter beneath became agitated. Excellent. Trance would trouble me no longer.

Spending all 3 hold to deal 6-harm (ap).

I looked past him and saw that the mob was noticing the new means of egress. The first few brave souls pushed forward past Trance just as his head erupted into a fountain of gore. That provided me a brief moment of respite. I would need to push myself to make it out of the alley before the mob overtook me. My muscles protested, but the sheer force of my will kept my legs moving as I swiftly exited the narrow path and took refuge along one of the walls to the side of the alley's opening.

Right. Now, where was that establishment that Eye had mentioned? Our meeting was supposed to be soon.

quote:

[08:17:53] <Tricky> Sundown acts under fire to kill Trance and avoid getting trampled
[08:17:55] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[08:17:57] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 10+2 = 12

+XP.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News

Dammit, I actually believed Class when he said he was really really was going straight this time. I mean, I’m willing to admit his baby-blues were the main reason I didn’t turn him for his last bit of silly buggers, but I was hopeful he had decided to settle down and stop being a general conjob. But he was going to get his this time.

I kiss Sunny Jim on the cheek and give her my best smile. “You’re a peach as always Sun, and tell Mis-Cheef I’ll run the Shame Game for her if she’ll have my cut waiting for me. Gotta jet babe, need to put your news to good use.” I pause before I leave. “Really thanks though Sunny, you’ve done me a solid.” I skedaddle before I can say something too embarrassing.

As much as I’d like to bust the secret tunnel story immediately, I should be meeting her soon, so priorities and such. So I head towards MikuDees’, steeling myself for what’s to come. And then I hear a faint sound, and sigh as I recognize it. Altering my path slightly, I head down a few back-alley. And of course, there she is, sheltering around a corner in that stupid suit of hers. I lean up against the same wall she is, and sigh audibly.

“Out of curiosity Sundown, do you realize the fact that I can find you by following the panicked screaming isn’t a good thing?”

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 3:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

A few desperate souls, streaked in blood and gore, stream through the opening beside me. Many more were likely dissuaded by the sight of the man's head painting every exposed surface crimson. My thoughts turn to the situation in the market. It was not the Maelstrom, not my work that caused such confusion. There were screams and shouts, a brief but bloody conflict. Likely the Duchess forced to defend her claim.

I stare at Eye as he speaks, my face blank behind the mask, "The Duchess has many who hunger for what she has claimed. They wrote a statement of protest in blood and chaos, yet were too eager. Too hungry to know their proper station. Cut down to a man by the Duchess and her servants. Were this to be the work of the Maelstrom, this hold would not be standing." The man's presence irritates me. His mind spinning in countless directions, yet strangely ordered. Regimented. Antithetical to the ways of the new world.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News

Pause. sigh

“You could have just said ‘It wasn’t my fault Eye.’ Not everything is a challenge to Your Power.” I stop to collect myself, rubbing the scars highlighting my cheekbones. “Sorry. As much as I enjoy our arguments, I need to not be a bitch today. Business and all.”

MikuDee’s isn’t far, and I wait until we get settled before continuing. Miku’s a friend from wayback, and he knows to put me in the booth next to the noisiest bit of equipment. “So like I said, my boy Jazz has been fingered for crunching a Convoyer and Duchess is leaning on me to keep him off the block. I got some news that might make her happy enough to let this slide, but I want to know the Truth of this. So.” I play with my BigMuck for a bit before continuing.

“So you tend to know a fair amount of not-nice stuff, and I’d like to see if we can come to a deal for you to tell me if you know about this. And enough to guarantee that you’re telling me the Truth.”

Reading Sundown: 2d6+1 5. Holding my one to see if she tells the truth. Marking XP, Marking another PC irritated

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 3:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

I ignore Eye's quips as we walk to MikuDee's and are seated. I do not partake in the food. I do not believe that the staff is offended in the slightest. Instead, they seem relieved when I wave off the one serving us. I turn my attention back to Eye. His blather about the one named Jazz is more interesting than his earlier attempts. Not for the sake of Jazz, but for the chance it offers. The man plays with his food as he talks. He is concerned, it seems, though his bluster aims to hide it. He would pay a high price to keep this one safe. I was sure of it.

My mask hisses open and I place it on the table, looking him in the eye, "I know nothing of this matter. Yet, it would not be outside of my power to assist you... for the correct price. I would merely require a promise. An exchange of favors. Yet, you seem more invested in this matter than I. Would it not be proper for you to offer me more?" My head tilts demurely to punctuate the point. I hold up two fingers. Not the gloved fingers, however, as I have found that many consider that to be a threat. "I would have you promise me two favors. One favor for agreeing to help. That serves as just compensation for my time. The second favor would be earned with the successful resolution of your situation with Jazz."

My mind caresses his, probing its defenses, as our conversation continues. It would please me greatly to have Eye, known for his conviction to his false idol, under my sway.

quote:

[13:44:16] <Tricky> Sundown seduces Eye
[13:44:20] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[13:44:22] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 7+2 =

Asking: Eye swears to the Truth that he will follow through on their deal.
Leverage: Spooky Brainer seduction techniques and a promise to help resolve the matter with Jazz.

Eye loses his Sharp highlight unless he agrees.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News
Barter=1 | Harm=0:00 | XP ●●●○○»

I can see the two of us entwined in joined bliss. At last someone that wouldn’t care in the least about the… alterations the Cutting Cult made to me. That would accept me without reservations. Someone that could protect my people when I could not.

But. But. BUT. My hand stops a hairsbreadth from her cheek, the longing frozen on my face.

The Truth burns in me, consumes me. I can see that Sundown’s path is a powerful one, but she does not walk in the light of the Truth. And if it wasn’t for the Truth, I would still be a sad, broken thing crying for what they once was. I should punish Sundown for her intrusion, but she has shown me a truth about myself: I will offer up my life for my people, but I will not offer my soul.

I pull my hand away and bow my head, the better to hide my tears. “Th-thank you for your… offer Sundown, but I’m afraid I cannot afford your price. Now please e-excuse me, I have w-work to do.” I bolt from the table, pulling my balaklava down in an attempt to regain my composure.

Not doing what Sundown wants, erased Sharp highlight. Spending my hold to ask: What’s your character really feeling (about Eye)?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 3:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

Unexpected. Truly unexpected. As the man runs away, I consider the brief moment before his hand made contact. What crossed his mind? What did he see that stopped him? A hint of tears in his eyes. I clearly did not understand him as well as I had thought. I sat at the table for a moment, ignoring the panicked looks of the surrounding tables. This would require further exploration. Further... experiments. For the Maelstrom, of course.

I pick at one of the limp starch-tubes Eye had left at the table. It is surprisingly edible. The hints of salt and fat coating it excite my senses. Perhaps this place would please the Maelstrom after all.

Sundown is genuinely intrigued by his refusal. Instead of being offended, it seems poor Eye has caught her eye. She will likely attempt similar ploys next time they cross paths, seeking to understand where he found the strength to resist.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Deep breath. As much as I'd like to, I have to admit, "No, we'll need to go ourselves," I tell Edith "Much fun as it'd be otherwise. Let's go now, it's only a half hour ride out there." I look around the grounds, and spot Megan. I flag her down and give some basic instructions - really, nothing she didn't already know, since we're going ahead with the show as planned. "You...are coming with me," I ask Edith as I head for the ramshackle little bike we use for errands around town.

Happy Thanksgiving food coma, everybody!

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 26, 2016

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Harm 3:00 EXP 0/5 Armor 1 Barter 2 Stock 5/6

"You dumb gently caress." I tell him as i begin to stand up, hoping to keep his attention on me rather then looking around anymore. "You think that Zepher would have left him here? And you think that Duchess is just going to let you go off reservation like this? Rowlf's gone baby gone, I got this new rear end in a top hat as a patient now, on Duchess' special request" I point to Xon who is lying on one of my tables and freshly bandaged up. "If you have an ounce of sense left in your brain you'll get gone too before Duchess or Zepher show up and cuts you open from taint to adam's apple."

I walk over to the door and fling it open, trying to be as loud as possible for his sake and on the off chance that anyone nearby feels like sticking their neck out and helping. "Get out now, while you still have a choice."

"Suffer Harm": 2d6+1 6
Manipulate Erf-Boi: 2d6+1 8
Erf-boi will go along with my bluff, showing him Xon as an attempt at proof that Rowlf is gone but let me know if he's going to need something more.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Sundown, as you eat, you notice that the tables around you are suddenly rather empty. People always tend to give you a wide berth, huh? Anyway, that's when one of Duchess' goons (Jobber, if you've even committed any of their names to memory) comes up to you and says, "Uh. Duchess wants you to talk to you. In the keep. She'll be there in a little." He thinks for a second longer and adds, "I can escort you there, if you want. Or not. Whichever you want."

What do you do?

Eye, well, you at least got out of that with your dignity mostly intact. That Sundown is a real creeper, right?

That's when Rowlf almost plows into you. His face looks half mad, half vacant, but he's clinging to you and muttering something about how Duchess must want him dead and he's gotta get out of here.

His clothes are pretty bloody, too, but it does look like he's gotten some medical care.

What do you do?

Needles, he sneers at you when you threaten Zepher's wrath, but the Duchess gives him pause. He grunts and you can hear the gears turning in his simple mind. He takes a step back and grunts, "Fine. If he ain't here, he ain't here. So, I'll be on my way." He turns to leave and then stops to look over his shoulder, "But I don't want word of this little visit between us getting around. Ya dig?"

Once he's gone, you go to check on Rowlf, but he's gone!

What do you do!

He'll be on his way, assuming you agree to keep this just between the two of you.

Also, you don't take a harm, but while you were busy with Erf-boi, Rowlf flew the coup! Or got kidnapped! Or who knows what?

Duchess, as you're getting ready to head out, Zeb hobbles out onto the street and takes charge of the remaining cleanup.

Altogether, the scrap and such is going to be worth one barter later. Just so you know.

On the way to Needle's, you run into Erf-boi a few "blocks" away. He looks at Birdie and lets out a whistle, saying, "Guess I missed some fun. Anyone I need to take apart for you, boss lady?"

What do you do?

Mastiff, sure enough, they don't even seem to notice Trib, but some naked weirdo running away from their compound? That's gonna get their notice, for sure. But, well, they're keeping an eye out for anything odd, and they spot you. As they get out of their cars, you see them looking at you, unsure of what to make of you. But the biggest one, decked out with some no-poo poo gold chains shrugs and says, "Off her."

There's a small gang of them, and they'll be doing +1 harm to you because you've exposed yourself to extra risk.

So, they've 4 harm from their handguns and 1 armor. Would be two armor for the gang, but you've got an area weapon in the halberd). Exchange harm.

What do you do?

Aurica, Edith rolls her eyes and mutters, "What's the point of having gofers if you just go with her?" She does pull back and let you lead the way.

So, where are you going?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

"Oh gently caress this day." I say quietly to myself when I see Rowlf is gone. "Shigusa get your rear end back over here." I shout before running over to Xon, making sure he is all stable. The kid can watch him for an hour or so while I go find Erf-Boi. And maybe Zepher won't burn the place down if she see's that I'm gone along with Rowlf, Shigusa can tell her that we left together instead of me losing him. I go grab some of my poo poo, my travel first aid kit, some gloves, and after some thought I stuff my 9mm in there too. Hopefully i won't need it, and if I do pull it out I'll need for it to go better than before.

I pull Shigusa over to Xon and give him some rundown on how to take care of him and what lies to tell while I'm gone. It's market day so Rowlf will be hard to find, first stop is getting Mox back to work, she's always been good at finding people and maybe it'll get her mind off her families horrible deaths. I mean, probably not but it's worth a try. She's probably holed up around Aurica's. She might know where Rowlf is too.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Barter=3+1 | Harm=0:00 | XP 0+1/5

I shake my head at Erf-Boi sauntering up like he's on loving holiday.

"The hell have you been, Boi? Just had an attack in broad daylight. Some crazy fuckers claiming to rep for Mad-Cap, if you believe that bullshit. All the ones who came at us are down so just go help Zeb in the Market for now. We'll be getting some answers out of a live one later - you can help with that if you behave."

He should like that - I don't need to hear his answer about where he's been just yet, it's a busy day for everyone. I keep moving past, guiding Birdie (by now the blood's obscuring her vision, and she's probably concussed) to Needle's infirmary. Shugusa is looking after Xon, but Skip's gone - must have left in a hurry, by the mess. Well, this should be a simple enough patch job. And the kid's got to be easier to con out of paying than Needles - he knows me better than I like to admit.

"Hey Shuggy-boy, you wanna do your Duchess a favour? Look after my girl here, fix up her face all pretty and get her something for the pain. I'll owe you one, yeah?"

Manipulate Shugusa: 2d6+1 11

He'll do it, barring complications.

And I get XP for rolling hot

Once she's settled in I start strolling back to the Keep. Need to be where people can find me for a bit.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 3:00 | Experience: 0/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

My eyes meet the man -- a guard of the hold, otherwise unimportant -- and I give him a small nod as I replace my mask. Perhaps one more starch-tube found its way to my mouth before the mask was in place. The Duchess was requesting my presence? Interesting. I hoped that she would be more readily amenable to my efforts than Eye. I had been keeping a careful eye on her, of course, but I had expected to initiate contact at a more opportune moment. Yet, it was the way of the Maelstrom to act and expect all to follow its whims. I had experienced this before. Nothing to do but confidently proceed. I would require some insight into the situation before we met. I called out to the Maelstrom. What does she want? How can I bring her into your service?

My mind wandered far and wide as I followed the man. I cared little for the physical world at the moment. I could feel its grip weakening upon me as the strength of the Maelstrom filled my mortal frame.

quote:

[10:09:14] <Tricky> Sundown Opens Her Brain
[10:09:18] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[10:09:20] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 3+2 =

Oh my. +XP and an advance, though!

Taking NOT TO BE hosed WITH as my second off-playbook advance, because of course she isn't.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Cool+3 Hard +0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird=0
Harm 3:00 XP 0/5 Armor 2 Barter 2

That sounds like foot steps. Well they're not going to miss me if they're moving that slow. I take a deep breath and as soon as they're in sight I spring out from my spot. I charge up the dune into the unlucky shlub to be the first over the top. I sink the blade into the chest and keep going. The dead weight at the end of my halberd pulls it down and I vault up over the goons to deny them an easy shot. At the peak of my pole stand I finish with a front flip to bring the halberd down on another.

"Single" Combat 8 I take one less harm, down to one. I deal 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News
Barter=1 | Harm=0:00 | XP ●●●○○»

Gah, loving Sundown. It wouldn’t be the first time someone tried to bend me over the barrel, but others are nice enough to use threats or violence. Not… brain voodoo. And she does it on purpose, she could be a perfectly normal fuckup like the rest of us. But no, she has to wear her suit and talk funny and be all se-spooky. Spooky! And now I need to *OOF*

I almost punch Rowlf before I see its him and how bad off he is. We’re not chummy-chummy, but Rowlf is practically an institution ‘round here. Come through with some choice bits for KUSS in the past too. And now he’s hosed up and babbling about Duchess coming for him. What the hell!?

I shoo a couple of ankle-biters out from a shady nook and set the old man down and give him a pull from my canteen. He’s been patched up, which usually means Needles, but I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have let a patient wander off. I lower my mic. “Hey Jazz, could you check and see if Needles or his people have a ‘mitter? I need to try and talk to him quiet-like.” I push the mic up again and snap my fingers next to Rowlf’s face.

“Hey man! Hey Rowlf, try and focus for me. Do you have a crash here in the hold, or some sort of safehouse? I can get you there if you can tell me.” I poke my head out of the nook, one eye on Rowlf, one eye scanning the area for hired killers or somesuch.

Read a Sitch: 2d6+1 4
-What should I be on the lookout for?

• Locked thread