Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Hard +1 | Cool +1 | Hot -2 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 1/5 | 1-armor | 8-barter

I can feel the press of new minds and bodies in the marketplace from where I sit in Pastor James's small church. His congregation is out among them, of course. Who would worship on the day of such a celebration of material goods and radical consumption? The stories of Market Day do it justice -- the Maelstrom was right to draw me here. My more immediate concern is the discoveries of the prior evening. I had spent it watching the man while he slept. The dreams he had were of fire and blood, an angry reckoning. I saw flashes of a mob driven by zealous rage, hints of coming violence.

The unmistakable image of Aurica broken and bloody.

I claim no allegiance to her, but I will admit that her establishment pleases me -- and the Maelstrom. I have seen this man, this so-called Pastor, skulking around her establishment, but I pay little attention to most such. What does a Wolf have to fear from the sheep she is amidst? This one, though, this one had been marked by the Maelstrom. It had echoed throughout my mind with a simple command. Show him My Glory. Were I to bring him into the true faith, to bring those he leads into the service of the Maelstrom? That would please us greatly.

Perhaps too there would be other strangers that deserved the Maelstrom's attentions on this day. Few in town did, but with such an influx? I reached for the heart of the storm and let the madness wash through me. Visions drifted and spun through my mind. Hints of the true face of this world.

A howl split the air.

quote:

[08:08:09] <Tricky> Sundown is going to Open Her Brain
[08:08:11] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[08:08:12] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5+2 =

Something new and interesting is revealed! (+XP)

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 0:00 | Experience: 2/5 | 0-armor | 8-barter

The Pastor in the flesh. How opportune. My mind reels as I consider the images the Maelstrom has bestowed upon me. His true self is fascinating. A killer of men, a powerful man of conviction, and a consummate liar. What is he? Has he been marked by power as well? My thoughts spin back to my own baptism and rebirth. A small child. Alone in the desert, forsaken by all. Thirst. Hunger. Desperation. That child died. The Maelstrom filled her and I rose. A messenger of the beauty and terror of this new world. An instrument of its will.

This all brought to mind Aurica. Would it become evident that the Pastor deserved the Maelstrom's attention more than her? I may indeed find myself with the need to eliminate her to fully bring the Pastor into the fold. My usual strategy would be to suborn and co-opt her guards. With time, I would compromise those sworn to protect her. It does always bring the most delightful looks of anguish when the enemies of the Maelstrom are felled by those who they trusted most.

I stared at him, bringing the full measure of the Maelstrom's gift to bear on his will. My mind probed and tweaked the deepest recesses of his brain, bringing forth untold pleasure as he met my eyes. The seals on my environmental suit hissed and released, the helmet and outer layers dropping onto the pew where I sat. I walked toward him, clad only in the suit's skin-tight interior layer. My hand reached up to the man's face. I wanted to know the real Pastor. Not this skin-mask he presented to the world, but the true creature behind it. My breath caressed his face as my mind continued its work, "Come to me. Give me the truth of your being."

quote:

[17:09:25] <Tricky> Sundown's gonna psychically hit on the Pastor
[17:09:28] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[17:09:29] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5+2 =

Seducing him to reveal his true self to me, removing my mask and robe as evidence of my intent. (+XP)

Tricky fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 20, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 0:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 1-armor | 8-barter

Marking +XP for the Deep Brain Scan.

His mind was as an open book, powerless to resist my will as our bodies intertwined. The discoveries I made were not entirely unexpected -- was it not the way of this new world? The strong exercised their will and shaped the future, while the weak merely wept with grief and anger. The determination I felt? That was promising. He was not ready for the true vision of the world. Not yet. He would need to cast off his last remnants of hesitation, the moral compunctions that held him back from his heart's desire. I stared at him, ignoring his question for the moment, as my hand once again brushed his face. The violation glove tore through what little resistance he had mustered up. I've often wondered what it feels like to be on the receiving end. From the slack look on the Pastor's face, I can only imagine he was cast into the furthest depths of pleasure -- or pain. They do tend to mix themselves after a point.

My voice whispered, echoing throughout his consciousness, "The great power of this world -- the true power -- has honored you with its touch. Prove yourself worthy of its gifts. You must destroy the Eye of the Storm. Bring forth your flock, arm them, and show all that you are no longer too soft for the new world. Slurry will fear your name and you will walk among them as a wolf among sheep. We will be watching."

After a moment, I stood up and once again donned my suit and mask. The seed had been planted. Whether he would grow into a vessel of the Maelstrom or be revealed unworthy was now up to him. Aurica, too, would be shaped by the coming conflict. One would demonstrate a true will to rise up over all who would challenge them. That would be who would truly deserve the Maelstrom's touch.

quote:

[15:48:12] <Tricky> Sundown gonna Sundown (by brain-string'ing the Pastor)
[15:48:14] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[15:48:16] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8+2 =

The command is "Destroy the Eye of the Storm" and I'm holding 3. (+XP)

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 0:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 1-armor | 8-barter

The matter with the Pastor was finished for now. Market Day called. Surely there would be something -- or someone -- deserving of my attention there. I walked over towards the main crush of people and stalls. As I strode through the lines of shops, I noticed that there was a bubble forming around me despite the crowds. None seemed willing to step next to me. Smart. I had been forced to demonstrate the power of the Maelstrom once or twice when a fool had decided me to be an easy mark. Their screams that day surely made my reputation firm. I was not to be hosed with.

My eyes scanned through the stalls and crowds even as my mind did the same. It was unlikely, but there may be something that could help me manifest the Maelstrom's power more clearly. I still had the jingle from that last hold -- it would do little good collecting dust.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 0:00 | Experience: 0/5 | 1-armor | 8-barter

The vast majority of the trinkets and people on display were worthless. Trash fit only for incineration under the blazing sun. I could feel the call of something worthwhile, though, whispering at the edges of my perception. My mind spread through the market, trying to locate what so desperately wanted to be found, as I continued to idly browse the rows and rows of stalls. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a wolf slinking down a side alley. A sign, to be sure! My step quickened and I followed it through the twisting rows of scraps and flesh.

quote:

[14:01:58] <Tricky> Sundown's going to Open Her Brain to find some sweet deals
[14:02:00] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[14:02:02] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 11+2 =
[14:02:07] <Tricky> the sweetest deals

What hidden treasure might the Maelstrom leading me to? (+XP)

Taking Spooky Intense from the Savvyhead as my first off-playbook move.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 0:00 | Experience: 0/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

The chaos filled me, brought forth memories of the girl once more. Her home had been a settlement much like this. Ravaged by the armies of a ruler much stronger -- and more ruthless. Smoke filled the air, as did the screams of the dying. The girl's parents died in front of her. They were helpless in the face of the new world. The girl ran then. Ran until her shoes were worn and her feet bloody. Ran into the endless desert.

I shook my head, focusing back on the present. The Maelstrom had led me to a true treasure. Never before had I seen such a device. It promised the end of anything. Everything. And it had an unusual odor -- the scent of ozone and something deeper. Something primal. There was more to this bomb than met the eye. I considered it, then considered the objects lining my suit. I would surely have enough to sate any price.

I spoke softly, "How much for the device?"

It would not do to be rude to one so obviously touched by power. The man named his price and my eyebrows raised. A princely sum, but far less than I had expected. I withdrew a tight loop of wires and a container with several microchips. The man looked them over and nodded. The deal was struck. I inspected the remote that the man handed me. There was a small digital screen where a code could be entered to activate the bomb and the remaining time until detonation was displayed. There was a second button, unlabeled and the plastic covering was taped shut. Evidently the option for a more immediate detonation.

Bought the hellbomb for 2-barter.

I covered the device with a tarp and began rolling it back to the house I had assumed control of. The former inhabitants had been quick to leave when I expressed interest in it. A wise decision. A signal tickled my ear as I walked -- the one they called Eye's voice echoed out of the speakers in my suit, distorted and tinny, "Sundown, we need to talk." Interesting. He had been resolute in his dedication to his false god of Truth. What could tempt him to reach out to me? I had no love for Truth and he knew it. It was curious enough that I could hardly deny his request.

My mind reached out, further and further, finding the woman of numbers. She too served the Maelstrom, though not by choice. I slipped into her brain. Her voice became mine. We said, "You have my attention."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 0:00 | Experience: 0/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

We simply responded, "The Maelstrom may provide your answers -- for a price. Have your offer ready when you arrive." I left the woman to her numbers, then continued on the winding route back to my shelter. I was making fair time. Easily enough to stow the bomb and arrive to the meeting point early. The cart's wheel squeaked, punctuating my passage through the empty streets. It was remarkable how many had piled into the market. The rest of the hold seemed to be deserted, even just a few hundred meters away.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 0:00 | Experience: 1/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

I slide the door to the hidden compartment closed and it latched shut with a satisfying clunk. The residents of this hovel had been less simple than I had thought. Perhaps smugglers of some stripe. Yet, in the end, their hiding spot was no match for the nose of a Wolf. It would, in fact, be turned to my own purposes. The Maelstrom's purposes. I felt a rare smile cross my face. This device promised to spur the world in such interesting directions. And this meeting with Eye? Truly, the Maelstrom moved in ways beyond the grasp of the mortal mind. It's machinations were both endless and impossibly complex.

I left the house I was using and started winding my way back through the streets to Eye's meeting place. The crowd parted around me, as before, but this merely served to put an unexpected face in my view. He was one of the security guards that had been injured in my escape from Hormel. Unless I missed my guess, he had suffered a gunshot through his lower jaw from one of the guards I had controlled. It was quite unpleasant to look upon and the bandages holding his face together did not do much to improve the view. His presence indicated a variable that I had not anticipated. Trance. He would be here as well, then, and I knew him to be a man of conviction. This situation would require suborning his guards once again to ensure the odds remained in my favor. My steps grew quieter and quieter as I approached the man, an odd silence surrounding me as I walked towards him.

quote:

[21:11:21] <Tricky> Sundown spookily sneaks up on security
[21:11:25] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[21:11:29] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 5+2 =

+XP, but what will it cost to succeed?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 3:00 | Experience: 2/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

A riot. Unusual. The Maelstrom was clearly working its will upon the community. The sudden surge of violence left me little choice. I would need to expose myself to some level of risk to proceed in my plot to protect myself. I ducked into the melee. The crush of bodies knocked me around, my helmet banging into my scalp painfully. Enough to draw blood, but not enough to draw my immediate concern. My cuts would heal. Those who wronged me would suffer the consequences in due time.

Taking 1-harm (ap).

My hand slammed into the back of his head, my thoughts following shortly behind. No need for subtlety within this chaos. What was another scream in this sea of noise?

quote:

[22:35:15] <Tricky> Sundown does the Brain-String thing
[22:35:19] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[22:35:21] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8+2 =

Command is "Protect me," holding 3. +XP.

As Trance fell to his knees, I withdrew a syringe from my side. Normal people would be kept in line by the threat of pain and the slow destruction of their nervous system, but not Trance. No. I would need to make him more... pliable. The needle sunk into his neck and sent its contents throughout his blood. The Maelstrom had led me to this many weeks ago. The creatures inside were able to selectively multiply pain signals. It would be utterly excruciating if I were to exert my will upon him. He would be mine. The Maelstrom's. Or he would die.

Tagging him with the Implant Syringe, making my Brain-Strings deal 2-harm.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 23, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 3:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

Trance was efficacious. I will grant him that. He was able to rapidly remove me to safety with no additional injury. He was also, unfortunately, far too strong-willed. I could feel my control over him slipping already. The girl felt gratitude for her savior. I did not. I saw only a problem that would soon return to haunt me. I stared blankly at the man and exerted my will upon him. The flesh on his face began to bubble as the matter beneath became agitated. Excellent. Trance would trouble me no longer.

Spending all 3 hold to deal 6-harm (ap).

I looked past him and saw that the mob was noticing the new means of egress. The first few brave souls pushed forward past Trance just as his head erupted into a fountain of gore. That provided me a brief moment of respite. I would need to push myself to make it out of the alley before the mob overtook me. My muscles protested, but the sheer force of my will kept my legs moving as I swiftly exited the narrow path and took refuge along one of the walls to the side of the alley's opening.

Right. Now, where was that establishment that Eye had mentioned? Our meeting was supposed to be soon.

quote:

[08:17:53] <Tricky> Sundown acts under fire to kill Trance and avoid getting trampled
[08:17:55] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[08:17:57] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 10+2 = 12

+XP.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 3:00 | Experience: 3/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

A few desperate souls, streaked in blood and gore, stream through the opening beside me. Many more were likely dissuaded by the sight of the man's head painting every exposed surface crimson. My thoughts turn to the situation in the market. It was not the Maelstrom, not my work that caused such confusion. There were screams and shouts, a brief but bloody conflict. Likely the Duchess forced to defend her claim.

I stare at Eye as he speaks, my face blank behind the mask, "The Duchess has many who hunger for what she has claimed. They wrote a statement of protest in blood and chaos, yet were too eager. Too hungry to know their proper station. Cut down to a man by the Duchess and her servants. Were this to be the work of the Maelstrom, this hold would not be standing." The man's presence irritates me. His mind spinning in countless directions, yet strangely ordered. Regimented. Antithetical to the ways of the new world.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 3:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

I ignore Eye's quips as we walk to MikuDee's and are seated. I do not partake in the food. I do not believe that the staff is offended in the slightest. Instead, they seem relieved when I wave off the one serving us. I turn my attention back to Eye. His blather about the one named Jazz is more interesting than his earlier attempts. Not for the sake of Jazz, but for the chance it offers. The man plays with his food as he talks. He is concerned, it seems, though his bluster aims to hide it. He would pay a high price to keep this one safe. I was sure of it.

My mask hisses open and I place it on the table, looking him in the eye, "I know nothing of this matter. Yet, it would not be outside of my power to assist you... for the correct price. I would merely require a promise. An exchange of favors. Yet, you seem more invested in this matter than I. Would it not be proper for you to offer me more?" My head tilts demurely to punctuate the point. I hold up two fingers. Not the gloved fingers, however, as I have found that many consider that to be a threat. "I would have you promise me two favors. One favor for agreeing to help. That serves as just compensation for my time. The second favor would be earned with the successful resolution of your situation with Jazz."

My mind caresses his, probing its defenses, as our conversation continues. It would please me greatly to have Eye, known for his conviction to his false idol, under my sway.

quote:

[13:44:16] <Tricky> Sundown seduces Eye
[13:44:20] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[13:44:22] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 7+2 =

Asking: Eye swears to the Truth that he will follow through on their deal.
Leverage: Spooky Brainer seduction techniques and a promise to help resolve the matter with Jazz.

Eye loses his Sharp highlight unless he agrees.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 3:00 | Experience: 4/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

Unexpected. Truly unexpected. As the man runs away, I consider the brief moment before his hand made contact. What crossed his mind? What did he see that stopped him? A hint of tears in his eyes. I clearly did not understand him as well as I had thought. I sat at the table for a moment, ignoring the panicked looks of the surrounding tables. This would require further exploration. Further... experiments. For the Maelstrom, of course.

I pick at one of the limp starch-tubes Eye had left at the table. It is surprisingly edible. The hints of salt and fat coating it excite my senses. Perhaps this place would please the Maelstrom after all.

Sundown is genuinely intrigued by his refusal. Instead of being offended, it seems poor Eye has caught her eye. She will likely attempt similar ploys next time they cross paths, seeking to understand where he found the strength to resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm 3:00 | Experience: 0/5 | 1-armor | 6-barter

My eyes meet the man -- a guard of the hold, otherwise unimportant -- and I give him a small nod as I replace my mask. Perhaps one more starch-tube found its way to my mouth before the mask was in place. The Duchess was requesting my presence? Interesting. I hoped that she would be more readily amenable to my efforts than Eye. I had been keeping a careful eye on her, of course, but I had expected to initiate contact at a more opportune moment. Yet, it was the way of the Maelstrom to act and expect all to follow its whims. I had experienced this before. Nothing to do but confidently proceed. I would require some insight into the situation before we met. I called out to the Maelstrom. What does she want? How can I bring her into your service?

My mind wandered far and wide as I followed the man. I cared little for the physical world at the moment. I could feel its grip weakening upon me as the strength of the Maelstrom filled my mortal frame.

quote:

[10:09:14] <Tricky> Sundown Opens Her Brain
[10:09:18] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[10:09:20] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 3+2 =

Oh my. +XP and an advance, though!

Taking NOT TO BE hosed WITH as my second off-playbook advance, because of course she isn't.

• Locked thread