Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News
Hard +1 | Cool +0 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Barter=1 | Harm=0:00 | XP ●○○○○»

I smile to myself as I meander through the market, the warm sun on my face. I’ve forgone the ‘clava this morning as it gets stuffy on a hot day like this, and the… oddly decorative scars the Cutting Cult left on me are quite unremarkable when compared to the mass of humanity surging forth for Market Day. A laugh is stifled by the soreness in my ribs, and I remember why I’m here.

It was supposed to be a simple human interest piece, a continuation of my ‘Folk of the Flats’ series. Mox seemed fine when I interviewed her, even a little excited to be ‘cast across the air. But I always do my background, and it seems no-one had told her that her family was wiped out by those raiders that came through last week. She found me after the show, tears in her eyes and anger in her fists. She didn’t do any real damage, but I hate being the Baron of Bad News like that for a kid. Which is why I’m standing in front of Albatross’ stall.

Let’s be Truthful here: I can’t stand Albatross, she’s a fraud and a charlatan that’s never been considered important enough by the Holders to squash. But when she isn’t peddling elixirs and miracles, she’s got the knowing of the Feathered Faith that Mox’s people hold. We regard each other warily for a bit before I swing my mic away from my face, indicating that I’m Not Recording. “Hey Alba, I’m not here to bust you. For now. Need one of your legit goods, a ‘Honor-to-the-Dead’ charm.” I wave off her half-hearted protest about the complete legitimacy of her goods.

“Yes, yes, I know you’d never sell rad-murk to folks as a curative, it was all one big misunderstanding. And if you dig out that charm for me, I’ll even pretend it makes up for one or two of your misunderstandings. You get all helpful-like, might make folk think of you in a different light.”

(I want her to give me the charm out of the goodness of her heart. Manipulate a Person: 2d6+2 8)

I meet her calculating expression with a mildly impatient gaze. In the background, Her Ladyship’s dulcet tones fade away on a nearby radio, replaced by Jazz’s voice. “ITS MARKET DAY MOTHERFUCKERS! GET YOUR ASSES TO SLURRY AND BUY poo poo! BUYING poo poo IN SLURRY MAKES DUCHESS HAPPY, AND SHE’S SUPER-POWERFUL SO LET’S MAKE HER HAPPY! MARKET DAY BITCHES!”

I flinch internally. Granted turnout today looks higher than normal so running the ads was definitely worth the water for Duchess. But perhaps its a bit too soon to let him go solo on writing the copy. Still, if Steiner wasn’t yankin’ my leash about seeing a bit of a tower like KUSS sticking up outta the Ash-flow out in the Margin, I’ll have to get Jazz up to running the goods by himself. Salvage or repair, getting that far out and back would leave me away from Beggar’s Bluff for at least a week.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Creek posted:

"Dat true? Thought she was a 'no good, lying, thieving charlatan.'"

I’ve fixed Albatross with a glare for her impertinence, but now one eye edges towards Creek speculatively. The overall effect just gives me a headache. “That she is Creek, but then again so are many people in this hosed-up world. But as the Bell-Man said, ‘The Truth is Out There for us all.’ I’m hoping a soft hand can lead her to the Light.” I swing my mike down and speak into it softly. “Hey Jazz, give me a five-count and cut me in.” At Jazz’s count, I take a deep breath and put my ‘Cast-Face on.

“Hey-ho folks! Hope your Market Day is super-green so far. Just a quick special announcement, tomorrow on Shared Stories, Albatross will be on to share her knowing of Feather-Talk, and the ins-and-outs of being a free trader on the Flats. Sounds interesting, so tune in! Eye-out!” I count to five in my head, and my face loses its good cheer. “Good job Jazz. And stick close to the ‘ceiver, seems La Jefa wants to talk to us.”

Its never a good thing when Duchess sends for you, if she’s happy she’ll call herself. But at least it was Creek that came, when she sends Erfboi, those folk don’t come back. I entertained the thought of getting Jazz to bug out, but Beggar’s Bluff is only an hour by bike, less by a technical. And its not like the Flats offer much in the way of hidey-holes. Hopefully we can talk our way out of whatever’s going on. I focus my fears into annoyance at Albatross. “That airtime you’re getting is more than you deserve, so get that charm to Miss Mox at Needle’s.” I turn and leave with Creek, cutting off any rebuttal.

I give Creek a look or two as we push our way through the crush of humanity. He’s not much of a chatterbox, and I’d rather not annoy him by peppering him with questions. But I break after only a few minutes of silence. “Soo, can you tell me what Duchess wants with us?” I pause, and decide to go for broke. “And does Duchess know you’re Made?” This is asked in a near-whisper. But Carebear said her folks had good hearing.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Creek’s refusal to answer and confession about my show does nothing to ally my fears, it has a note of… finality to it. It sets my brains a-churning, which is why I’m caught off-guard by his open admission.

“What? No, no. Why one of my best friends is-” I shut my mouth before I shove even more of my boot into it and wave my hand in embarrassment. “Sorry, I seem to have a history of bein’ stupid on Market Day. But no, I’ve no problem. I’ve always thought that folks are folks, no matter what they come out of.” I give him a rueful smile. “Besides, I know a thing or two about not being quite like everyone else.”

There’s silence for a bit, but as we head out of the gates towards the Eye of the Storm my curiosity pushing up again. Quite possibly in order to distract me from the clenching in my guts, but I also admit to just being nosy. “Soooo, is it true that there are some of your folks that remember the Before? Carebear has said that might be the case, be she’s only a little older than myself.”

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News
Barter=1 | Harm=0:00 | XP ●●○○○»

Out of all the things Duchess could have wanted to talk about, accusing Jazz of murder wasn’t even on the list. I cycle through anger and surprise and fear before I finally regain control. I look her square in the eyes and perform something half-way between a nod and a bow.

“Thank you for speaking to me and not simply collecting him Your Grace. And since you speak of Truth I shall respond in kind: while Jazz is no murderer I was not at his side for the entire Day to guarantee his Where to you. But it is my nature to dig into events unclear, so I can bring the murderer to you by sundown if you’d. However, first I must know-” I step closer to Duchess (but not close enough to annoy her or her bodyguards) and speak the rest of my question softer. “Is it more important to you that the guilty are brought to justice or you don’t have to pay the bloodprice?”

To answer Duchess' RaP: Eye will find the killer or offer themselves up to keep Jazz off the chopping block

Read a Person: 2d6+1 6 What does your character wish I’d do? (does Duchess really want Eye to go poking around about this)

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News

I can see immediately that I’ve pushed Duchess wrong. Back away quickly, trying to cover my fear with a deep bow. “As you say, Your Grace. By sundown Ma’am.” I skidaddle with what small amount of dignity I’ve retained, hoping Duchess doesn’t decide to rough me up.

Once I’m out of earshot, I clear my throat into the mic. “I’m assuming you heard all of that Jazz, so I ain’t gonna repeat it. Raise Sunny Jim, tell her I need to talk to her nowabout. Out back of Mis-Cheef’s as usual.” I pause for a bit, loyalty and the Truth warring in my soul. “A-and if you happen to know of any poo poo-kicking that went down that night, I’d be interested to have that knowning. Call me back in five, I need to make an enormous mistake right now.”

I click off the station’s back-channel and take a deep, shuddering breath. I’m hoping I can pull the Truth out of Slurry, or at least offer up an unfound killer, my way. But Jazz’s life is too important to risk on my investigative abilities alone. So I twist the selector-dial to the dead channel. Ain’t supposed to be anything on here, its too far from KUSS’s ‘casts to get any bleed. But just above the hiss and pops, you can hear a woman crying, chanting numbers between the sobs. I close my eyes, click ‘SMIT, and say the words I hate to say:

“Sundown, we need to talk.”

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News

I shudder. “Gah, I hate it when you do that. But you know that, don’t you.” I take a breath. “Listen, looks like a bit of murderdeathkill broke out last Market Day and my boy Jazz is on the block for it. I’m hoping to find who actually did it my way, but I may need your skillz if I can’t. Meet at MikuDees’ in an hour?”

As I wait for Sundowner’s response, I work my way through the Market Day crowd. Trying to see the Truth of last Day’s murder in the crush would be fruitless, but I sigh anyways. The Callers have given tell of the vast Truth monitors in the Bell-Man’s days, the watching eyes even on the jingle. But I am only one person, so I have to concentrate my efforts. Which is why I siddle down the alley in back of Mis-Cheef’s. The place is doing hot biz, which is why Sunny Jim is useful to me. She’s a gofer at the bar, and just unhot enough to not be noticed. Folks’ll talk about alot a stuff when juiced up and awaitin’ their next ride. I push my headset down around my neck and put on my best smile as the back door opens.

“Heya girlie, whatcha got for old Eye?”

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News

Ahhh, Sunny Jim is refreshingly simple to deal with and I love her for it. I pull out my little book and turn to The Playlist and show it to her. “Same as usual babe, you give me the goods and you get to choose the tunes for the next week.” I catch her eye and hold her gaze. “And if you happen to have a tell of some nastiness last Market Day, I’ll make you a Day-Jay.”

Manipulate Sunny Jim: 2d6+2 9

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News

drat, actual, factual jingle’s always tight around KUSS. But Sunny Jim’s never done wrong by me, and I can’t fault the woman for providing for herself. And while the news she has may not directly be about Jazz, I might be able to leapfrog it into something that will help.

I overdramatically mime a pain in my chest, the smile never leaving my face. “Arggh, you’re bleeding me dry babe. No jingle on me, but-” I hold up a finger to fend off her comment “I do have these.” I reach into my pack and pull out a handful of vacuum tubes, strung on a piece of wire like a necklace. “These aint right for KUSS’ guts, but they work fine. Any of the techies will trade for them, and Kernel Ortega might even give you some of their superfood for ‘em. Square?”

handling over my 1-barter. Going to need to run a gig once I get Jazz out of this jam.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News

Dammit, I actually believed Class when he said he was really really was going straight this time. I mean, I’m willing to admit his baby-blues were the main reason I didn’t turn him for his last bit of silly buggers, but I was hopeful he had decided to settle down and stop being a general conjob. But he was going to get his this time.

I kiss Sunny Jim on the cheek and give her my best smile. “You’re a peach as always Sun, and tell Mis-Cheef I’ll run the Shame Game for her if she’ll have my cut waiting for me. Gotta jet babe, need to put your news to good use.” I pause before I leave. “Really thanks though Sunny, you’ve done me a solid.” I skedaddle before I can say something too embarrassing.

As much as I’d like to bust the secret tunnel story immediately, I should be meeting her soon, so priorities and such. So I head towards MikuDees’, steeling myself for what’s to come. And then I hear a faint sound, and sigh as I recognize it. Altering my path slightly, I head down a few back-alley. And of course, there she is, sheltering around a corner in that stupid suit of hers. I lean up against the same wall she is, and sigh audibly.

“Out of curiosity Sundown, do you realize the fact that I can find you by following the panicked screaming isn’t a good thing?”

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News

Pause. sigh

“You could have just said ‘It wasn’t my fault Eye.’ Not everything is a challenge to Your Power.” I stop to collect myself, rubbing the scars highlighting my cheekbones. “Sorry. As much as I enjoy our arguments, I need to not be a bitch today. Business and all.”

MikuDee’s isn’t far, and I wait until we get settled before continuing. Miku’s a friend from wayback, and he knows to put me in the booth next to the noisiest bit of equipment. “So like I said, my boy Jazz has been fingered for crunching a Convoyer and Duchess is leaning on me to keep him off the block. I got some news that might make her happy enough to let this slide, but I want to know the Truth of this. So.” I play with my BigMuck for a bit before continuing.

“So you tend to know a fair amount of not-nice stuff, and I’d like to see if we can come to a deal for you to tell me if you know about this. And enough to guarantee that you’re telling me the Truth.”

Reading Sundown: 2d6+1 5. Holding my one to see if she tells the truth. Marking XP, Marking another PC irritated

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News
Barter=1 | Harm=0:00 | XP ●●●○○»

I can see the two of us entwined in joined bliss. At last someone that wouldn’t care in the least about the… alterations the Cutting Cult made to me. That would accept me without reservations. Someone that could protect my people when I could not.

But. But. BUT. My hand stops a hairsbreadth from her cheek, the longing frozen on my face.

The Truth burns in me, consumes me. I can see that Sundown’s path is a powerful one, but she does not walk in the light of the Truth. And if it wasn’t for the Truth, I would still be a sad, broken thing crying for what they once was. I should punish Sundown for her intrusion, but she has shown me a truth about myself: I will offer up my life for my people, but I will not offer my soul.

I pull my hand away and bow my head, the better to hide my tears. “Th-thank you for your… offer Sundown, but I’m afraid I cannot afford your price. Now please e-excuse me, I have w-work to do.” I bolt from the table, pulling my balaklava down in an attempt to regain my composure.

Not doing what Sundown wants, erased Sharp highlight. Spending my hold to ask: What’s your character really feeling (about Eye)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Eye, the News
Barter=1 | Harm=0:00 | XP ●●●○○»

Gah, loving Sundown. It wouldn’t be the first time someone tried to bend me over the barrel, but others are nice enough to use threats or violence. Not… brain voodoo. And she does it on purpose, she could be a perfectly normal fuckup like the rest of us. But no, she has to wear her suit and talk funny and be all se-spooky. Spooky! And now I need to *OOF*

I almost punch Rowlf before I see its him and how bad off he is. We’re not chummy-chummy, but Rowlf is practically an institution ‘round here. Come through with some choice bits for KUSS in the past too. And now he’s hosed up and babbling about Duchess coming for him. What the hell!?

I shoo a couple of ankle-biters out from a shady nook and set the old man down and give him a pull from my canteen. He’s been patched up, which usually means Needles, but I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have let a patient wander off. I lower my mic. “Hey Jazz, could you check and see if Needles or his people have a ‘mitter? I need to try and talk to him quiet-like.” I push the mic up again and snap my fingers next to Rowlf’s face.

“Hey man! Hey Rowlf, try and focus for me. Do you have a crash here in the hold, or some sort of safehouse? I can get you there if you can tell me.” I poke my head out of the nook, one eye on Rowlf, one eye scanning the area for hired killers or somesuch.

Read a Sitch: 2d6+1 4
-What should I be on the lookout for?

• Locked thread