Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The long, long, long awaited, latest edition of the cult classic Star Control series is finally getting its release date.

After many years of waiting, Star Dock has officially announced Star Control: Origins. Taking place in a fresh setting without any of the previous games back story, you'll be playing as Earth's best and brightest Star Captain as you plunder the universe for resources, meet weird alien monsters and harvest them for dissection and other sentient life forms who are just itching to turn you and your crew back into star dust.

Let's have Star Dock's PR team take it away:

Greetings! Star Control: Origins was announced this afternoon and the Founder's Program is now open.

Go here: https://www.starcontrol.com/starcontrolorigins to join the team!

The Details

Star Control: Origins is an action/adventure game set in the year 2086. Earth has received a distress call from inside our own solar system leading to the formation of Earth’s first united space exploration force, Star Control. The player takes on the role of The Captain to investigate the transmission which leads to the rest of the galaxy learning of the existence of the Earthlings.

Star Control: Origins takes place in a living galaxy filled with thousands of unique worlds, many of which are teeming with alien life. It also has over a dozen star-faring civilizations the player must trade, fight and negotiate.

“Star Control has always been about creating a fantastic galactic sandbox to play in and weaving a compelling story around it that gives meaning and wonder to their adventure,” said Brad Wardell, Executive Producer of Star Control: Origins. “With Origins, we want to bring the style, humor and game play elements we loved from the classic series and then expand it with features made possible on modern hardware.”

To that end, Star Control: Origins allows players to land on planets that are now represented as spherical entities with the gameplay updated to allow the lander to jump obstacles, rotate their lander’s cannon and deal with hostile environments and creatures.

“Exploring planets is now one of the funnest parts of the game,” said Wardell “The objective is still largely the same, pick up resources, access quests, find artifacts and ship parts but now the gameplay is very engaging.”

Like the classic series, Star Control focuses on the player’s interaction with alien races. Star Control: Origins introduces a new cast of aliens for the player to learn and deal with. Using the game’s dynamic rendering system, the aliens and their speech are rendered in real-time.

For the music, Stardock has been working to reunite the musicians worked on the previous games. For example, Riku Nuottajarvi, composer of much of the music for the original series, has returned for the new Star Control series.

Meanwhile, for the writing, Stardock has tapped Cracked.com columnist, Chris Bucholz to lead the story and writing effort.

“Star Control is the convergence of a unique musical style, wry humor and a compelling story,” said Wardell. “The next challenge is to combine that with the gameplay to create what we hope will become a classic.”

Today, Stardock opened the Founder’s Program where fans can pre-order the game for $35 and gain access to the Founder’s Vault, a private forum, modding tools and more.

“There is a fine line between giving homage to a classic and copying it,” said Wardell. “The Founders and us will work together to ensure we thread that needle.”

As a proof of concept, Stardock has released a teaser of alpha gameplay to the public so that fans can get a quick look at the direction the game is taking.

“We wanted to keep the teaser short and not reveal too much,” said Wardell. “Everyone wants to show off Super Melee, planetary monsters, ship design, etc. But you have to be really careful how much you show this early. You can easily paint yourself into a box where you feel like you can’t ‘change’ something because it’s been shown to the public.”

Stardock is targeting second half of 2017 for the PC release with a console release later.

The website for Star Control: Origins is: https://www.starcontrol.com

The gameplay teaser is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ntg47q_cM

So what does that all mean?

Really only time will tell. It looks promising enough, but Stardock has a history for making GBS threads the bed, especially their garbage Masters of Magic remake.

More info in the OP as I get it. I'll also spruce it up with pretty pictures and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Reserved for history for the Star Control franchise.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Important: do they have the ship that farts when it shoots a torpedo

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
why was the gameplay trailer removed for copyright infringement

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Willfrey posted:

Important: do they have the ship that farts when it shoots a torpedo

So far no ships have been announced. I don't think the races from previous games will even be in the game.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

why was the gameplay trailer removed for copyright infringement

It was? Maybe someone flagged it as a joke earlier but I just checked the link in the thread and YouTube itself and it worked.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Oh cool a Cracked writer is heading this up, good poo poo

Also: $35 pre-order but for 60 dollars more you can get all future DLC, which is a bargain at $60!! Very interesting unintended reveal, there.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They already did the whole Stardock early access super-price thing for Star Control months ago, what happened here?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Prediction: We see (or same time period) the event that provides the pretext for the Vux to declare war.

I actually like Stardock but I'm sad to see another game w/o Reiche & Ford. Starcontrol 2 is one of my favorite games ever.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Capntastic posted:

Oh cool a Cracked writer is heading this up, good poo poo

Erik, Chet, and Jay Pinkerton gave us Portal. Now this guy is working on Star Control. Next up, an XCOM game with Seanbaby and a new Metroid by Lowtax. All good games flow from 1999 era internet comedy.

quote:

Starcontrol 2 is one of my favorite games ever.

It's my favorite game ever. I'm cautiously super excited for this new one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I don't think the races from previous games will even be in the game.

They won't. When Atari had its fire sale, all Stardock was able to acquire was the actual name and trademark of Star Control. The IP of the first two games -- the races, the ships, the story -- is still held by Reiche and Ford.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Don't pre-order spacegames folks

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
As much as I hate giving Wardel money, and I do cause gently caress that guy, from what they have shown it honestly looks like a graphically improved Star Control 2. For $35 I think I'll be happy with it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Timby posted:

They won't. When Atari had its fire sale, all Stardock was able to acquire was the actual name and trademark of Star Control. The IP of the first two games -- the races, the ships, the story -- is still held by Reiche and Ford.

Aren't they the guys responsible for Skylanders? So weird

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

As long as they make a whole bunch of interesting aliens that are really goddamn weird and aren't just humans with makeup or [earth animal], but with [random trait] (see: Every goddamn space game since 1995), I'll be happy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So it sounds like this is a Star Control game only in a bizarre literal sense. As in it is named "Star Control" but other than that has no connection to the old Star Control games and, in fact, cannot legally be connected to them.

What a strange thing.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Copyright law is a weird, horrible thing. Just think though, we might get new aliens that fire fire butt missiles but in new and HD art!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, they(Stardock) said things like 'Reiche and Ford are literally next door to them, so they're consulting often'. If that was not a lie, then there's hope.

Then again, if memory does serve, I recall that the whole point is that it was effectively an AU: something changed a long time ago, and the results of that lead to what the game will be.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Quicksilver6 posted:

As long as they make a whole bunch of interesting aliens that are really goddamn weird and aren't just humans with makeup or [earth animal], but with [random trait] (see: Every goddamn space game since 1995), I'll be happy.

Yeah - it could actually be a good thing. We don't need a new game that keeps winking to us about what's going to happen with the Shofixti/Yehat/Utwig (like OMG seeing the first time Anakin meets R2D2). Breaking from nostalgia, and being forced to be interesting on their own without a bunch of baggage, could be a big positive.

Like you say, though, it'll all come down to good writing, which at this point we have very little way to predict. It seems almost too much to ask that it'll be as good as SCII writing, but it could be lots worse and still be worth buying.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 19, 2016

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Bloodly posted:

Well, they(Stardock) said things like 'Reiche and Ford are literally next door to them, so they're consulting often'. If that was not a lie, then there's hope.

Then again, if memory does serve, I recall that the whole point is that it was effectively an AU: something changed a long time ago, and the results of that lead to what the game will be.

During their GDC post-mortem before this was announced officially but it was known that Stardock had the rights, someone asked about this during the Q&A.

Ford and Reiche affirmed they still personally own rights to everything but the name. It sounds like they 'talked' some but there's not really any chance of them working on it in any capacity unless that's changed since then.

It could still be a fun game - we'll see - but the "Star Control" connection is pretty tenuous.

Let's also remember: gathering minerals on planets was pretty much the worst part of SC2, and it looks like SC:o: is adding that. Uhhhhhhh

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Given that Chris Avellone is working with Larian and on Prey, and pretty much every other niche game out there now that he's a free agent, I wonder what the odds are that he'll turn up on this.

He's stereotyped for pseudo-philosophical writing a la Planescape: Torment but the man also did New Reno in Fallout 2.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I liked Starflight 2, so this may be the closest thing I get to a modern successor.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Despite SC2 and how fondly I remember it (a bunch of us got together and bulk ordered the game with Gravis ultrasound cards from Canada to Germany when it came out) I'm not going to be founding/pre-ordering this. As people have already said, all they have is the name and all they've shown so far is the least liked feature of SC2. Maybe they can make gathering from planets better but who knows. Without the old IP, nostalgia isn't going to get them very far and this is Stardock so the scope for failure is definitely there.

Nope, safer to sit this one out until they have something a lot more concrete to show. But after what their involvement with the MoM reboot, I'm not going to get my hopes up much.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
If it doesn't have the involvement of the original creators or the actual IP what's the point? This looks like a low budget, direct-to-XBLA game from 2009.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It could still have the spirit. It's Stardock though, so lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A Stardock employee says there's basically two big DLCs planned already which justifies the 60 dollar price tag to go from normal pre-order to deluxe edition. What a load of garbage.

• Locked thread