Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Let's go the Cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlumPrincess
Jan 1, 2006

Soon....soon I'm gonna make you a star

Boo the Cubs.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Super pumped Contreras is getting the start. Get this offense in gear.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Ah drat, I was literally just about to post the GDT thread for tonight. Oh well. Go Cubs.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
It's like the rest of the sports world wants us to hurt.

It transcends wanting LA to win, and goes to wanting the Cubs to actively lose forever. If they declared no victor in the WS, you'd still have cheers going up that the Cubs didn't win.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Go Cubs please don't suck.

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
I'm just here for the Lackey/Contreras meltdown and Lackey.gif. Pay me no mind.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
My body is ready

To go into full meltdown mode

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

zxqv8 posted:

It's like the rest of the sports world wants us to hurt.

It transcends wanting LA to win, and goes to wanting the Cubs to actively lose forever. If they declared no victor in the WS, you'd still have cheers going up that the Cubs didn't win.

The thing is, (excluding their performance this postseason) if the Cubs swept through the NLDS and the NLCS, but lose the WS in game 7 by one run, they'd still be considered a humongous failure and the worst team in baseball. I mean, I grew up with my grandpa telling me that being a Cubs fan teaches you how to deal with disappointment, but it still hurts.

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My body is ready

To go into full meltdown mode

I got my meltdown out of the way yesterday. I'll pass the torch.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
:lol: The last team to get shut out two postseason games in a row with 4 or fewer hits was the 1919 White Sox

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
If MLB wants to grow they better tell the umps to rig the game in the Cubs favor tonight. Ain't no body give a poo poo about baseball in LA, they have mountains, oceans traffic and poo poo.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. McGibblets posted:

If MLB wants to grow they better tell the umps to rig the game in the Cubs favor tonight. Ain't no body give a poo poo about baseball in LA, they have mountains, oceans traffic and poo poo.

And now they have a football team to root for! :v:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

all doommongering aside, I really don't like Lackey against the Dodgers' lefty hitters. I wish they had another capable lefty starter.

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

R.D. Mangles posted:

all doommongering aside, I really don't like Lackey against the Dodgers' lefty hitters. I wish they had another capable lefty starter.

Lackey will give up no less than 4 runs tonight.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm still banking on my "not score another run" theory. Let another great collapse be written in history.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Game 4 of the NLCS, and I'm still surprised on how much I like A-Rod as a baseball analyst.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Miz Kriss posted:

Game 4 of the NLCS, and I'm still surprised on how much I like A-Rod as a baseball analyst.

he is really good.

smoltz is fine too although i would rather die than hear him describe a pitch as "firm" again

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
I just realized its possible Joe Buck will be a broadcaster until the day I die....that is loving terrifying .

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I think Cubs and Dodgers fans can all agree that Joe Buck is the worst.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Miz Kriss posted:

They should give A-rod a uniform and slot him into the lineup somewhere. He couldn't be any worse than Rizzo, Zobrist, Russell, or Heyward right now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm ready for maximum Lackey.gif tonight

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd just like to pop in to say :lol: at Contreras catching Lackey and I look forward to Lackey's gruff postgame interview where he blames Willson for the half dozen dongs he gives up.

tl;dr -

SlumPrincess
Jan 1, 2006

Soon....soon I'm gonna make you a star

Miz Kriss posted:

I listened to Hawk Harrelson a few times when I was visiting Chicago and it made me appreciate Joe Buck. Buck is bad, but there's a whole other plane of bad that Buck will never transcend to, so calling him the "worst" always seems too hyperbolic.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Fox is really the villain here for enabling human garbage like Joe Buck.

Also they canceled futurama.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Would it have been better to start grandpa?

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Sydin posted:

I'd just like to pop in to say :lol: at Contreras catching Lackey and I look forward to Lackey's gruff postgame interview where he blames Willson for the half dozen dongs he gives up.

tl;dr -

I hope Lackey blows up on Contreras during the game. I want this more than I want the Cubs to win a meaningless game.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

i hope the dodgers win

signed,

myself and everyone who has ever been a transplant to a town or city within 2 hours of chicago

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Miz Kriss posted:

Would it have been better to start grandpa?

They can't start Ross because he doesn't have it anymore to start back to back games (his own words, not mine) and he needs to catch Lester for Game 5. I think ideally you'd want Montero out there since he clicks a bit better with Lackey, but with the offense completely MIA I think Joe would rather have one of the few lively righty bats in the lineup against Urias.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Miz Kriss posted:

Joe Buck hate transcends sport boundaries. My roommate is a football guy who doesn't follow baseball at all and even he hates Buck.

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
I just watched Urias' pick off moves balks. Baez is getting picked tonight. If any Cubs even reach base that is.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

bawfuls posted:

Joe Buck hate transcends sport boundaries. My roommate is a football guy who doesn't follow baseball at all and even he hates Buck.

Joe Buck does NFL games too. They go as expected.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SlumPrince posted:

I listened to Hawk Harrelson a few times when I was visiting Chicago and it made me appreciate Joe Buck. Buck is bad, but there's a whole other plane of bad that Buck will never transcend to, so calling him the "worst" always seems too hyperbolic.

I just imagined a commentator team of Harrelson and Buck and threw up in my mouth a little, so thanks for that.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

SourKraut posted:

They should give A-rod a uniform and slot him into the lineup somewhere. He couldn't be any worse than Rizzo, Zobrist, Russell, or Heyward right now.

Hell, Popete plays in a rec league doesn't he? Slot him in there.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Sydin posted:

They can't start Ross because he doesn't have it anymore to start back to back games (his own words, not mine) and he needs to catch Lester for Game 5. I think ideally you'd want Montero out there since he clicks a bit better with Lackey, but with the offense completely MIA I think Joe would rather have one of the few lively righty bats in the lineup against Urias.

That makes sense. I'm gonna miss Ross next year. He seems like a genuinely nice person.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Miz Kriss posted:

That makes sense. I'm gonna miss Ross next year. He seems like a genuinely nice person.

He'll likely retire and coach somewhere. :unsmith:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I like how John Lackey somehow looks significantly better as an old man with big fake horse teeth than he did as a fat-faced rookie.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Don't worry, now that the ALCS is over Chexoid is free to post exclusively about the Cubs.

Ack! Our hurler has surrendered the lead. Whom among us does not love the infant who snacks on fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
clearly our problem is that we're still stuck in a mode from the ancient days where 4 postseason wins is all you need to take home the trophy

• Locked thread