Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Update's pretty damned awful. I really detest it. All the loving helpful tips that are only supposed to show up once show up constantly, they hid my apps deep in a menu, it's not as clear what's currently selected with their new navigation system... overall it's just a mess and feels like they changed poo poo just to change it.

I really REALLY hate the "down, right" navigation. Your selection is in the upper left. Can't see what's above it without going up, can't see left without going left. And gently caress the auto-play HBO ad that kicks off if you pause too long on the home screen.

"Apps" now apparently means "go buy something". Installed apps, the things you actually use, are pretty well hidden. At least holding home goes to a menu.... that shows you a dozen FREE!!!!!! apps before yours until you manually select each one and bring them to the front. Why the gently caress was it too hard to copy the "Recently used Apps" setting from the previous build? The world may never know.

I want my $40 back. If it's just an ad platform now, it should be free.

Harik fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can turn off the auto play by going Settings -> Preferences -> Featured Content -> 'Allow Video Autoplay' 'Allow Audio Autoplay' OFF. And I'm not sure what you're talking about with the rest of your complaint. Recent on the home page still behaves the same way of listing the most recently used apps. (And App Launcher just lists all the apps that are tied to your account. Highlight the app you want, hit the lines button and click 'move to front'. It will remember the order afterwards. That's also mirrored in 'Your Apps & Games' on the homepage right below recent)

Until the next update, when it buries everything I actually use under another dozen partner offers. That's what I mean about being an ad-platform.

I figured there would be some way to turn that poo poo off but gently caress having to. There's exactly zero people in the world who want to be the target of autoplaying video, but goddamn if marketing doesn't get diamond-hard erections at the thought of being able to force ads on everyone who turns on their TV.

The supposed integration with prime is worthless since there is, again, no way to actually search by prime - you search, it gives you tons of ads for videos to pay for. It's an ad delivery device. And Kodi doesn't even work that well on it.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Plus the App Launcher just lists all the apps that are tied to your account, it doesn't insert apps you don't own. Highlight the app you want, hit the lines button and click 'move to front'. It will remember the order afterwards. That's also mirrored in 'Your Apps & Games' on the homepage right below recent and the 'Your Apps & Games' section in the recently updated Fire TV Remote app that can remote launch apps.

I don't own Netflix, HBO Now, or the other 25 partner offers that showed up before the apps I do actually own. It's not everything free, either, it's everything that's paid to show up at the top of the list... generally we call those advertisements. I've reshuffled everything, again, but they obviously have no intention of maintaining your preferences on the next update.

It's also pretty ridiculous that they didn't implement CEC and you have to buy this ridiculous looking sidecar remote (or juggle multiple remotes) to change volume. Given a choice between mediocre voice search and volume control on the one remote you use, which would you prefer? This is a question Amazon never bothered asking.

Harik fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 19, 2016