Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So no issues with Kodi on the new stick/box? I am thinking about handing out a couple of the gen2 sticks pre-loaded with "fun" for Christmas. Is there a way you can setup and sideload the apps without a signing into an amazon account or a way to remove said account after? Don't want people accessing my prime account and buying movies and poo poo afterall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Call Me Charlie posted:

You could always give them an Amazon gift card with a note telling them to buy a Stick and give it to you so you can pimp it out. That way you can also put some legit apps on it without it freaking out about the app not being purchased on their account.

I was mostly just going to sideload a couple things i.e. Kodi and what not, but I seem to recall you need an amazon account to even do the initial setup to get into the main menus to enable unknown apps and debugging. If that's not the case I guess it's no big deal.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Grump posted:

My mom just told me some dude she works with is selling jailbroken Fire TVs for $125.

That's a ripoff right? Or at least sounds sketchy. If I tell her to buy a Fire Stick and jailbreak it myself, it's pretty much the same experience right?

This seems pretty big right now. I have a few friends that purchased "hacked firetv sticks" from some dude at the gym for $175, and a guy that works for me bought one from his neighbor for $90. They didn't even get the gen2 sticks and it was well after they came out. Pretty sure the guy that works for me paid $90 for a refurbished first gen stick. I looked at it to see what they paid for and it's basically just your standard addons everyone uses and a fairly customized CXM skin with direct menu links to sub-menus inside the addons for "direct" access. Runs like complete rear end though. That said, the guy at work had like 8 people that wanted one and was going to give them the guys info he got it from, but I decided to capitalize on their stupidity and made myself ~370 bucks profit for about 10 minutes of work.

Edit: All of these guys bought them on the premise that they would be able to stream all UFC PPV events in HD quality too which is hilarious because anyone that has used Kodi for any length of time knows that anything "live" is next to impossible to find in good quality or even working unless it's a UK based iptv station which is basically worthless in the US

CubanMissile posted:

By jailbreak it does she mean he actuals jailbreaks it, or just installs Kodi on the thing? Installing Kodi takes ten minutes and isn't worth paying anyone a dime.

It isn't, but a lot of people would have no idea how to do it even if they watched a video and even then they would have even more trouble taking advantage of kodi and it's addons. Guy at work watched me setup a repo for some misc addon I use and he was lost the second I went into the file manager and started typing into the repo address.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 22, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Pro tip for anyone using a Kodi on firetv box or stick... Last night I encountered a lack of storage on my box for the first time ever. After inspecting apps it seemed Kodi was using 3.2GB of storage on my box. This of course causes caching issues with streaming videos etc as it didn't have any place to put more data coming in. After poking around the file manager for a minute I realized that the Thumbnails folder was using 2.6GB! of space. Now I assume there is a tool or way to remove them all to "start" fresh downloading movies/tv show tumbnail art etc, however a quick google suggested that the majority of the space used in that file is all the actor thumbnails. It literally downloaded via IMDB or MovieDB every single actors picture from basically anything I've watched. Which why the gently caress would you need any of that.

tl;dr - Go to Settings > Video - Uncheck "Download actor thumbnails" which should help prevent rapid build up of storage usage.

Edit: To free up space I found the best solution for the above is to download Raw Maintenance add-on. It'll allow you to clear cache, thumbnails and packages. In fact the purge package thing was worth it too as I didn't realize it basically removed old/outdated add-on packages not used by the currently installed version, but kept around anyway in case you want to roll back to previous one. Freed up an additional 400MB with that too.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 7, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Croatoan posted:

Wow that's really fuckin dumb. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyway first gen fire owner here. Any guess on when I'll get the new UI? 2017?

The new UI is already being pushed out, but it's a staged roll-out so you might get it today or you might not see it for a month. Could always go into the ftv settings and force a check for update and see if anything comes up.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

PuTTY riot posted:

2 questions

1) I have a bunch of sticks. I have an older reciever that I'm setting up with 5.1 speakers and all that. My tv has an optical out and passes DD when I'm watching QAM cable. I can't seem to get the fire tv (or my blu ray for that matter) to push DD/DTS/whatever over that same opical cable, only stereo PCM. Any way to remedy this besides buying something (regular fire tv, hdmi receiver or weird thing that splits out the audio before it gets to the TV)

Hmmm mine is setup in the same way with 1 optical out to a receiver from the TV and it is able to play audio from all HDMI sources/inputs.. kinda weird. Maybe a setting in your tv audio options? What kind of TV is it?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

This didn't happen. Unless it was only a day. I bought 6 firetv sticks to give as Christmas presents and each one has been updating with the newest FireOS after setup is complete. Still haven't seen it on my Box or Stick at home though, but I haven't checked yet either.

Also so far I am not a fan of the new menu layout.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

PuTTY riot posted:

It plays sound, it's just not 5.1 audio. I've looked around but not much to do, especially when you turn off the tv speaker. It's an older LG

Go into the FireTV settings and Display/Sounds - there are different settings for Dolby Audio i.e. "Dolby Digital Plus auto" , "Off", Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI and simply Dolby Digital over HDMI... maybe try using just Dolby Digital over HDMI if your receiver is older? idk if its on the default first settings and your device for playback doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus it will default to Stereo output.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Since the update, Kodi no longer seems to show up anywhere. Is there some workaround I have to do again to get it back wherever recent apps show?

It might disappear from recent apps (didn't on any of my devices) but you should be able to go to Apps and open it from your installed apps list.. or go to settings, manage installed apps and launch it to bring it back. They didn't block it with the update or anything.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Three Olives posted:

Are they garbage TVs though? Like 2 years ago my ex dragged me to buy a 4k Westinghouse TV at Walmart on Black Friday, it's tons better than my TV which I am perfectly happy with that I bought 10 years ago back when a high quality 720P LCD cost thousands, I'm pretty sure I paid around 2K for this TV, I think he paid like $300.

Fire TV is a decent enough TV OS, especially with 3 GB of RAM and 16 GB of storage.

Short of LED array dimming, industrial design and OLED I am pretty sure most of the "garbage tv" companies are able to put a panel indistinguishable to most consumers from the high end of the top tier brands and the biggest thing that is left is not having a garbage OS which Fire TV arguably solves.

Historically Element, Westinghouse etc. were pretty much garbage. I don't know how true that is these days. In the past it was kind of like buying a Gateway PC rather than Dell. MOST tv's these days use the same panels, from the same companies and it's just presentation that is different. Westinghouse might use the same LCD panel as an LG, but only has 2 HDMI ports and a cheap looking plastic shell or something. For your average person it probably doesn't make a difference anymore. I probably wouldn't buy a polaroid brand though, just because.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Posted this elsewhere a few days ago, but so far no replies...

My first gen FireTV is being weird with Prime Video. When I pull up a show and select and episode it will play no problem. When I pause the video it pauses no problem, when I press play again, however, the video will begin playing, but all audio is gone. At first I thought it was just trying to reopen the stream so I let it sit for a little while, that turned into 15+ minutes of an episode playing and no sound coming back. If I hit the back button and return to the episode select screen, choose the same episode and then hit "resume" from there it begins to play back with audio no problem. So it's only when I pause something I am currently watching and it' only Amazon Prime video that does it. HBO Go, Netflix both work as intended as well as everything else video/audio related on the box. It's been happening for a couple weeks now and I can't figure out what the problem is. I've replaced the HDMI cable, moved to a different port tried optical audio direct to the receiver rather than tunneling the tv, messed with audio settings on the box nothing seems to fix the issue. It's getting pretty annoying. I have 3 other FireStick's in the house and none of them have any problems. Short of resetting the firetv tp factory is there anything else I can do? Just seems weird it's literally only prime video.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Call Me Charlie posted:

Could this be your problem?

http://www.aftvnews.com/surround-sound-issues-with-amazon-video-on-fire-tv-resolved/

It's worth a try before you factory reset.

hmm, it's no sound at all not just lacking surround sound, but I'll try clearing the apps cache.. I didn't even realize it had its own video "app" figured poo poo like that would be baked into their OS.

Edit: So clearing the cache and such didn't fix the problem. So I went in messing with more settings and changed audio output around a bunch to all the options. Finally after the 4th time changing it to something else and back to what it has always been the sound is now magically resuming with video. Weird issue for it to work flawlessly for over a year and then just decide to be a dick, but simply changing output to something else and back to what it was fixed it.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 23, 2017

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

ShaneB posted:

I am having inconsistent issues related to audio/video syncing between different applications on my FireTV. Netflix is great. Hulu is not great, and has very noticable issues. SlingTV seems mostly OK but maybe off?

I've cleared cache/data from Hulu, and rebooted entirely to test things. I am clueless, and have googled for solutions but nothing concrete has come up at all.

Do you use optical audio output from your FireTV or are you using a FireStick into the tv or a receiver? The reason I ask if source audio type is different between all of those so output conversion might be your issue causing sync/delay. I'd go into the system menu and change output around, perhap put on auto if it's not already or force output to basic dolby digital over hdmi or whatever.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 15, 2017

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

bull3964 posted:

4k without HDR just isn't worth it at all.

Shame on Amazon for putting out something that can't use their own service to the full extent.

Well, not sure I'd blame Amazon for the TV it is an "element" which is bottom barrel garbage brand. They're just the first partner for the OS on the tv and I think there were like 3 or 4 other manufacturers doing a FireOS tv too, like the TLC brand one has HDR 4K and is bottom barrel brand too.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Sendo posted:

Anyone else have issues with the YouTube app performance deteriorating ?

I use my FireTV (Gen 1) for Youtube/Netflix and Kodi, on a fresh start youtube will be fine but after watching things in a few different apps the next time I go to watch something in YouTube it will have series frame rate problems like running at 5FPS. The only thing that fixes it is restarting the box, I've tried killing all apps from the settings menu and then relaunching YouTube alone but it still has the problem.

This seems to have gotten worse as the OS has been updated, it use to happen every couple of weeks but as updates has happened it's now pretty much daily.

Not sure if this was addressed, but there used to be a setting in Kodi that would cause this, but I think it was resolved a long time ago. What version of Kodi are you running?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I got a new FireTV (3rd gen dongle thing) the other day to hookup in my bonus room and I am having some issues.

Basically my ISP's DNS servers are garbage and prevent DirecTV Now from working. It's a 1Gig Fiber connection and their router provided is also garbage and doesn't let me remove DNS server addresses, but I can add additional ones which doesn't seem to fix the issue at all. To get around this on my other two FireTV devices (one wifi, one wired) I've setup the connection as static and told the firetv's to use Google's DNS servers and then DTVN works without issue. The problem is on the new FireTV 3rd gen I go to do the same thing and it accepts the static ip input, gateway etc and connects, but even though I enter which DNS servers to use it doesn't seem to use them. I read some thing about the original firetv stick having a bug that prevented it from using manually entered dns servers when connecting over wifi, but wasn't able to find more info on that and it was from 2015.

So far the fixes I've seen involve me either getting a static IP from my isp for an extra $5 a month or forcing DNS and since I don't want to pay for something extra I don't need and can't do the other I am stuck. Is there any way to edit a connection config via ADB or something to try and set it up that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does the latest generation Fire TV still have banding in video playback? On my 1080p TVs it's particularly noticeable in darker scenes.

I've never noticed banding issues on any of my FireTV's.. I have the 1st gen box, 2 second gen sticks and the newest (3rd gen?) fireTV dongle thingy