Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

:siren: LIST OF TWITCH VODS :siren:
http://pastebin.com/ms40h0LG

Stream Page: https://www.twitch.tv/superplay
Schedule: https://horaro.org/superplay2016/schedule
Donation Incentives: https://tiltify.com/events/superplay
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ArcadeSuperplay

This weekend, buttons will be bashed and coins will be flung in the inaugural Arcade Superplay Expo, starting this Friday (Oct. 21) at 9PM EST/6PM PST. Broadcast from Twitch's HQ in San Francisco, over the span of 48 hours, gamers will band together to dish out attention and pain to some of the most difficult and money-draining games of yesteryear.

If you're familiar with the Games Done Quick speedrunning events, ASX will be operating in a similar fashion, combining skilled play of difficult games with expert commentary and also offering donation incentives for particular games (probably not a surprise, considering that former GDQ organizer Romscout is heading it), all working towards helping the Save the Children charity.

While there's a lot of really great games played by great people going on this weekend, here's a couple things I'm personally looking forward to seeing.

LordBBH: Responsible for the “MAME Roulette” concept that's been steadily picking up steam on Twitch, it's hard to think of someone with a more varied knowledge of arcade games. A little bit of everything going on during his games, but NARC and Chimera Beast are must-sees, if only for the sheer WTF moments that happen in both games.

FlyHec: Remember Track & Field, that one game where you mashed two buttons over and over to make your olympic wanna-be go fast? This world record holder takes a game with a simple concept and puts on a goddamn clinic. Trust me, you WANT hand-cam for this!

Funkdoc: A name well and dear to anyone familiar with the speedrunning scene, there's few others that can go into intricate detail about their game play while making it look easy. X-Men is an easy pick, one of the most popular arcade games of its time (I can hear that sweet Colossus music already), but the real show-stoppers are his peek into the crazy and creative world of Taito with Pulirula and The Ninja Kids.

KevinDDR: Yet another name that's become a GDQ darling over the last couple of years, he and the rest of the Tetris the Grand Master crew will be dropping blocks hard & fast in a variety of ways. That's not all though! He'll also be showing off his world-class pinball skills in TRON Legacy and Lord of the Rings Pinball, and covering the skies with shrapnel in Battle Garegga, one of the most infamous arcade shoot 'em ups ever created.

Zallard1 & Caitlin: Resident goon Caitlin and speedrunner Zallard1 will be getting into the spirit of the season on Splatterhouse, showing why they're respectively the score and speed masters of this horror classic. Later on, Zallard's lacing up his gloves for Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out, predecessors to the Nintendo console classics that are different beasts all their own.

PJ & MURPHAGATOR!: Two reasons I'm lumping them in together.

1) They make up one half of noted GDQ regulars Team Poor Life Choices.
2) Any time either one is around, bad, bad things happen to games.

If machismo is up your alley, PJ will be heading fearlessly into Ghosts 'n Goblins and Battletoads, the latter magnitudes more unfair than its NES counterpart. On the other side, Murph will be delivering blows to human and xeno alike in the Capcom beat 'em up classics Final Fight and Aliens vs. Predator.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

That Yagawa shmup block should be neat, even if it's in the wee hours of the morning Saturday.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Looking forward to this. I don't really know why but I kind of ended up with the same mindset as Funkdoc and I'm not really interested in console speedruns and whatnot anymore. I guess at some point you've just seen all you are interested in seeing. Watching people 1cc arcade games on the other hand is new and interesting.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Ofecks posted:

That Yagawa shmup block should be neat, even if it's in the wee hours of the morning Saturday.

Yeah, that's a tough call. I've thought about catching a nap after work so I can not be a complete zombie, but then I remember I try to do that for GDQ graveyard shift stuff and it doesn't go well.

On another note, 5 hours until this whole shebang kicks off!

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I've never watched a twitch stream before, but I know what I am doing this weekend now.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

iastudent posted:

LordBBH: Responsible for the “MAME Roulette” concept that's been steadily picking up steam on Twitch, it's hard to think of someone with a more varied knowledge of arcade games. A little bit of everything going on during his games, but NARC and Chimera Beast are must-sees, if only for the sheer WTF moments that happen in both games.

I might kick in a few bucks here if this guy knows what he's doing. NARC is a great game, but past the first level I've found it impossible to play without dropping in a quarter every eight seconds.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'd suggest checking out the IIDX block if you thought Stepmania was neat during GDQ. It's a very fun game and some of the best players in the country will be playing in the blocks.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What if you thought the Stepmania block was excruciating but you still kinda like IIDX?

u wan gently caress posted:

I've never watched a twitch stream before, but I know what I am doing this weekend now.

Does that mean you've never watched a GDQ event? In that case, you're in for a treat with the Tetris Grandmaster blocks.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

flyboi posted:

I'd suggest checking out the IIDX block if you thought Stepmania was neat during GDQ. It's a very fun game and some of the best players in the country will be playing in the blocks.

Are they actually playing the game, or are they using some lovely keyboard setup like they did with Stepmania?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

FanaticalMilk posted:

Are they actually playing the game, or are they using some lovely keyboard setup like they did with Stepmania?

It's going to be IIDX Infinitas which is basically the arcade version with a Dao controller

This is what Infinitas looks like although it's the official (lovely) controller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEcMFyu4LbI

flyboi fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 21, 2016

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
http://i.imgur.com/YSMWuWC.jpg

Yea pretty legit.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

:siren: ASX start time delayed 2 hours :siren:

Hopefully the DDoS stuff going around today isn't to blame. :ohdear:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

RIP est

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gynovore posted:

I might kick in a few bucks here if this guy knows what he's doing. NARC is a great game, but past the first level I've found it impossible to play without dropping in a quarter every eight seconds.
I watched some of his practices. He was fighting against all the bullshit that game pulls, but he was also still getting 1CCs. He knows his weird cop games!

ars
Oct 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
id like to watch this

guess it dont work__??

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ars posted:

id like to watch this

guess it dont work__??

iastudent posted:

:siren: ASX start time delayed 2 hours :siren:

Hopefully the DDoS stuff going around today isn't to blame. :ohdear:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Kins posted:

I watched some of his practices. He was fighting against all the bullshit that game pulls, but he was also still getting 1CCs. He knows his weird cop games!

RIght after posting that ^^^ I played a game of Narc on MAME. Great game, but holy poo poo it's loving hard, and there's no difficulty settings. I'm totally making a donation if that guy can beat it without pumping in a truckload of virtual quarters.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Gynovore posted:

RIght after posting that ^^^ I played a game of Narc on MAME. Great game, but holy poo poo it's loving hard, and there's no difficulty settings. I'm totally making a donation if that guy can beat it without pumping in a truckload of virtual quarters.

I've seen him play it a few times... you definitely want to watch Narc.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Gonna have the trifecta of TGM, IIDX, and shmups all in this. Those are probably the 3 hardest and most impressive categories of video games out there, so should be interesting.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

High level tetris play is so ridiculous.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I know this game is hard as gently caress but it's still weird watching them struggle with TGM1 after being spoiled by a couple GDQs of watching KevinDDR wreck the poo poo out of this game.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
With the delay in starting I'm going to be asleep when some of the ones I want to watch are going on. Are they going to be Youtubed up like AGDQ is?

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Might be worth mentioning that some generous person is matching donations up to $50,000 so its a good chance to send some extra cash to charity.

ars
Oct 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
woah its very good

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Pinball announcer guy is starting to ruin this for me :smith:.

ars
Oct 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
some bemani poo poo before the real good game

its ghost and goblins ("makaimura")

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Darude played IIDX. What in the world?

https://www.twitch.tv/superplay/v/96401201?t=2h11m25s

flyboi fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 22, 2016

ars
Oct 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
i like the idea of darude basically just living in the twitch headquarter and having nothing better to do than bombing events

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I was hyped for DDR, but the guy they have playing isn't that good, plus commentating over the songs kind of ruins it.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
100% real Yagawa hours. who up, smash that motherfucking bomb button

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hahaha, people are trying to discuss rank control in Battle Garegga in Twitch Chat and getting auto-timed out for using the phrase "kill yourself" when describing the suicide-to-make-the-game-easier stuff. Bless.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

And I wake up just as Garegga is ending. :argh:

Ah well. Batrider up next is a really cool game and Aquas is a hell of a player.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
To whoever chooses the music for these intermissions: you suck!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Gynovore posted:

Hi I'm the guy running NARC and a couple other games in a few hours. I will do my best to explain everything that goes into playing that game on one credit, but sometimes I have rotten luck on Wheelchair Big. Here's hoping!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Shock Trooper posted:

Hi I'm the guy running NARC and a couple other games in a few hours. I will do my best to explain everything that goes into playing that game on one credit, but sometimes I have rotten luck on Wheelchair Big. Here's hoping!

Score all the points, sleep on all the couches.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Mushi Mushi Pork is goddamn amazing. :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Muchi Muchi Pork 2nd loop just does not give a poo poo.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The commentary during the shmups block has been on-point the whole time, especially this run.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I missed the early stuff but Im ready to watch some frigging arcade games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I figured Id ask in here for help identify an arcade racer. Its probably from the early 90s and it looks like Spyhunter but the twist is that you can jump and flip your car to the left and right and you score points by landing on other cars and blowing them up. What game am I thinking of??

• Locked thread