Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I had no idea Tim Curry had had a stroke until I started watching this. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

B.H. Facials posted:

I had no idea Tim Curry had had a stroke until I started watching this. :(

Yeah, it's hard to see him like that. :smith:

Also, everyone in this production is almost too sexy which is a weird complaint but Riff-Raff looks like model that's dressed down for Halloween. :goonsay:

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I'm not hating it yet, but yeah, the actors and actresses are too sexy for this production.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

It was cool of them to clone Dolph Lundgren as Rocky

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

Lol.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm watching this but I feel like I don't know RHPS well enough to meaningfully contribute. I am enjoying it. :geno:

I will say I was thrown by sexy riff raff though.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Tuned into this to see Tim Curry...you can still see the spark. :unsmith:

Show's not really doing anything wrong it just lacks the passion?/spirit?/oomph? of the original. It's very hollywood.

Also lol they gave rocky regular pants.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

They've managed to really downplay a lot of the sexual innuendo. Not surprised honestly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Vanderdeath posted:

It was cool of them to clone Dolph Lundgren as Rocky

I get early Val Kilmer but yeah same vibe.

Only seen Rocky Horror once but had a lot of fun, forgot this was on tonight so I missed the first 30 minutes which has the best songs :(

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

The actress playing Janet is totally my jam! :pervert:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

B.H. Facials posted:

The actress playing Janet is totally my jam! :pervert:

Yeah, will accept in lieu of younger Susan Sarandon.

Has this show been...Disney-fied? :ohdear:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Brad and Janet are former Nick/Disney kids, right? That's a fun bit of meta-casting.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
They're relying almost entirely on familiarity with the movie, reminds me of the Abrams Star Trek movies which assumed broad familiarity with the characters. I wish they'd done more of their own thing, you're allowed, it's a long-running play!

As is, it just feels disposable and forgettable.

Ben Vareen is fantastic, though. Of course. Wish everyone was rolling with it like that.

After The War fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 21, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Boxman posted:

I will say I was thrown by sexy riff raff though.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Why didn't they just make the second sequel?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I only caught part of it. I was surprised how toned down the sexual stuff was. If the original movie was made today it would be pg-13. They get away with more on primetime tv than what was in the old movie.

This version didn't have the same feel.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
GF and I were discussing afterwards, and it occurred to us that having model-pretty people singing perfectly kind of... defeats the purpose of something created by and for "freaks" trying to accept themselves for who they are.

:smith:

Also that they should have just done it as a live stage presentation and not tried to mix theatre and film.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

After The War posted:

GF and I were discussing afterwards, and it occurred to us that having model-pretty people singing perfectly kind of... defeats the purpose of something created by and for "freaks" trying to accept themselves for who they are.

Yeah, this. Being rough around the edges is what makes RH what it is. It's that whole outsider, alternative, shoestring scene that kept it alive and made the late showings a legend.

Making it all slick and glossy kinda cost it something. No one even smeared their make-up...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

All that said, I kinda loved Frank/Rocky's death pose as Creation of Adam.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The whole "cut over to the theater watching it and doing the quirky cues" thing really... seems pandering to me.

Like some writers at Fox are saying, "hey, kids! We totally know you guys do this! We get it, we're hip!"

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

After The War posted:

:smith:

Also that they should have just done it as a live stage presentation and not tried to mix theatre and film.

Yeah, I came to a similar conclusion. Tim Curry was sexy as Frank N. Furter because he was a normal looking dude loving rocking that lingerie. That's why there was a "shock value to it. Laverne Cox is already an attractive lady so it takes away from that aspect other than the foreknowledge that she used to be a man.

It was an okayish production and Ben Vereen owned the hell out of his part. He was the highlight of the show to me.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Erghh posted:

Yeah, this. Being rough around the edges is what makes RH what it is. It's that whole outsider, alternative, shoestring scene that kept it alive and made the late showings a legend.

Making it all slick and glossy kinda cost it something. No one even smeared their make-up...

Totally agree. It was a bit too clean and perfect for me. The castle in the original is very dirty and run-down, but this one isn't and it doesn't feel right. Not terrible as far as remakes go, but it's definitely missing something compared to the original.

BTW, am I right in thinking that the Criminologist's assistant is Columbia from the original?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

BTW, am I right in thinking that the Criminologist's assistant is Columbia from the original?

Nah,

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0247720/?ref_=tt_cl_i12

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Laverne was good but everything else was kinda meh and the original looking so cheap was part of what made it good. This was like a rich school production of RHPS

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kenny Ortega is the guy behind all the High School Musical movies. He does a good job with that style, but was completely the wrong choice for this. Every decision they made was wrong, what a waste of time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The woman who played Columbia nailed it and Tim Curry actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting for someone who's had a stroke and actually the guy who played Brad did some good poo poo but ultimately ehhhhhhhhhhhh

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Brad's floorshow was great.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Oh it did have its moments here and there, like Creator/Adam one up-thread.

One review called it the "Glee-ification" of RH and idk...I get that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Erghh posted:

One review called it the "Glee-ification" of RH and idk...I get that.

Nah, it wasn't nearly gay enough to be called that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Yes, please, I want to witness money-grubbing tv executives shamelessly pillage a cultural masterpiece for base profit, where do I sign up???

• Locked thread