Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBitEX-8IcM

quote:

MY SUMMER CAR is a game about car building and everlasting Finnish summer. Summer is and this game is !
Never before is a car game designed with such emphasis on realism, in bad and in a good way. Small error and you die. It could be that you forgot to tighten brake linings, or that you forgot to bolt wheels properly.
The maximum speed for the car might be only 165kmh (downhill), but it is all horror already at 80kmh. Of course, you can always order some stuff from other side of the world, and tune up the engine so that you hit 200kmh.

I am making this game because this game needs to be made. This is not made because this is fun game, but because it is NOT!

Check out this amazing feature list

IMPLEMENTED posted:

Detailed driving simulation with Pacejka tire model
Car operating requires H-type shifter and clutch
Super difficult hardcore car building puzzle
Walking simulator
Car stereos with installable subwoofers
Camera to take photographs
Dead boring highway
Extensive damage system, for parts dropping off and wear and tear
Parts shop for spare parts and tuning parts
Does have graphics of some sort
Listen drunk people talk
Drunk NPC's
Passing out and waking up in random place
AI road traffic
Able to go to sauna, drink alcohol beverages and get wasted
Radio channel
Ability to import own OGG songs to radio
Rallycross-style dirt track
Drivable cargo van
Ability to steal fuel
Car inspection process
Online leaderboard rally event
Complete car build up from spark plug to full body tuning
Engine simulation with changing damage and performance scenarios
Early 90's Finnish countryside setting
Play slot machine in bar
Ability to chop wood for money
Drivable muscle car with true to life automatic transmission
Fully functional dashboard similar to flight simulator
Chop wood
Brake fluid, oil, coolant, fuel, carburetor management
Fast and dangerous dirt roads
First person controls, no immersion breakers
Permadeath
Drivable tractor
Physics bugs
PC-only game

PLANS, BUT NOT PROMISED! posted:

Window stickers, like "More beer"
Rowing boat
Strawberry picking
Driving a log truck
Ability to make kilju and sell it to get some cash
Suomi KP/-31 to shoot fishes, cans, or something else
Drag strip and local drag racing events
Lively environment with houses, nature and animals

http://www.amistech.com/msc/
Available Oct 24th on steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/516750

Has anyone else been following this game for the last few years? The feature list is daunting, and seems to be the dwarf fortress of driving/life sims. Price should be around $15 GET HYPED

Old video of the dev showing off the games features. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0IZ_TEzg7M

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This is what gaming has been leading up to.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't know from Finland but even I can tell this is super Finnish.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
If this game lets me pretend that I am 16 year old me driving to the Jersey shore in my 1997 Buick Skylark listening to Kanye West's 'Graduation' while my friend gets "crazy drunk" off like 3 beers in the back seat, then video games are art.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I mean look at the depth of this game. You have different size wrenches to use!

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
holy gently caress its finally coming out

ive never been so hyped to virtually drink beer while virtually rolling over in a virtual car

it is about raealism

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Harminoff posted:

I mean look at the depth of this game. You have different size wrenches to use!

Only thing it needs now is a whole set of screwdrivers and hex keys added to that case.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Triple A posted:

Only thing it needs now is a whole set of screwdrivers and hex keys added to that case.

If its being realistic more like 2 screwdrivers of the wrong size, half a set of hex keys and a weird headed screw driver that you don't have any matching screws

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If its being realistic more like 2 screwdrivers of the wrong size, half a set of hex keys and a weird headed screw driver that you don't have any matching screws

And the 10 MM wrench disappearing and re-appearing whenever it pleases.

Firstkind
Apr 10, 2015

by 2017 exmarx

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is what gaming has been leading up to.

Thank god my real world aggravations can now be translated into the wonderful world of video games.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Needs to have a 'break into wrecking yard at midnight to get the parts you can't afford' minigame for added realism.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I impulse-bought Jalopy several months ago thinking it was this game. It is not this game.

I am excited for this game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SealHammer posted:

holy gently caress its finally coming out

ive never been so hyped to virtually drink beer while virtually rolling over in a virtual car

it is about raealism

It is not about masturabations

I am very hyped for this game even though I can already tell I will have no idea what I am doing.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
this is great

after i give up working on my car irl i can sit down and do it all over again in virtual finland

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzPdPYtqBt0
Four more hours

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I feel I can't but mention that the maker of My Summer Car also makes sweet sport documentaries (subtitles from the settings) and baller synthpop.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I turned permadeath off because I suck at acquiring more sausage and beer. :smith: But it may as well not exist, since dying while your van is anywhere but at the store means game over, unless I'm mistaken.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So is this game actually fun or are people just being super loving ironic about it.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I turned permadeath off because I suck at acquiring more sausage and beer. :smith: But it may as well not exist, since dying while your van is anywhere but at the store means game over, unless I'm mistaken.

For anyone having a hard time getting to the store, just use the boat. There's a dock just downhill from it. Makes it so much easier, but don't throw anything while you aren't completely still. RIP beer case.

poptart_fairy posted:

So is this game actually fun or are people just being super loving ironic about it.

I only got as far as assembling the engine on my last car, but so far it seems like a decent puzzle game where you can piss on everything.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

It's the final answer to the question "does adding realism make a game better?"

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

poptart_fairy posted:

Both the gameplay and the game world consists almost entirely of rough edges, rust and piss. It can best be described as someone with a copy of Unity and a penchant for toilet humor taking a game genre generator, rolled 'an open world car mechanic sim with permadeath' and actually making it, teaching himself game design along the way.

It is also very ugly and very Finnish and about the video game equivalent of this: :nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc-qSHKR2dY :nws:.

All in all, it is not a good game. It is deliberately bad, like Spurdo Sparde or Dolan comics and there are many deliberately annoying design decisions. At the same time, it is kind of fun, unlike, say, Stanley's Parable, which is the closest game equivalent I can think of.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Well, put some more time in. Got the engine built and holy poo poo is that rewarding. I felt like goddamn McGyver.

...which made it all the more worse when a physics glitch flung the chassis off my jack setup and knocked the engine off the hoist. The chassis looks bent out of shape, but I'm not sure if it was already like that. If I make a new game to check, it erases my progress. :smith:

I love the ultrarealism simsperginess of the car system, but since it demands surgical precision at certain points it's definitely at odds with the wonky game physics. That said, it's release day for an early access title.

Over all I don't feel bad at all about putting money toward this title -- just needs some time to work out the kinks.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I wonder if the developer is going to stick with their random pricing policy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This man is crazy.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So, as expected, I'm having to come to grips with the fact that I do not know how to build a car from scratch. Guess I'll have to watch some youtubes.

Also, I rolled the van over on its side and basically entombed myself because I couldn't get the door facing upward to stay open for long enough to be able to jump out. Good thing I brought the beer case.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I tried to shift gears, accidently punched out front window instead.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Harminoff posted:

I tried to shift gears, accidently punched out front window instead.

GOTY

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I drove a septic truck around until I found a random mechanics shop with a nice muscle car out front and a guy across the street drinking beer. The guy didn't seem to mind too much when I hopped in the car and parked it on him.

A good poster posted:

I wonder if the developer is going to stick with their random pricing policy.

No, Steam won't let them.

FAQ posted:

Q: Wasn't the price going to be randomly between 1$ and 20$ each update with the first price being some Finnish lottery result?
A: Those were the plans, but Steam doesn't support that system, so it had to be scrapped.

I made a map.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 25, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Now, is this game like Automatron, but for drunks? Because I can get behind that sorta.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played for a bit and I'm having fun. Question 1: Can I turn off that stupid fly sound? It's giving me a headache. Unless there's a way to kill it, I need to get rid of that sound.

My main issue is just trying to get things lined up enough to get them installed. That and figuring out what order it wants me to attach things. I don't know how to get any of the suspension bits to attach to each other or the car. How do I get the engine on the engine hoist? i found a spot where it seems like one bolt would go but I can't find the other nor can I figure out how to attach them. This is fun so far.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Cojawfee posted:

I played for a bit and I'm having fun. Question 1: Can I turn off that stupid fly sound? It's giving me a headache. Unless there's a way to kill it, I need to get rid of that sound.

My main issue is just trying to get things lined up enough to get them installed. That and figuring out what order it wants me to attach things. I don't know how to get any of the suspension bits to attach to each other or the car. How do I get the engine on the engine hoist? i found a spot where it seems like one bolt would go but I can't find the other nor can I figure out how to attach them. This is fun so far.

There is somewhat of a guide here. http://my-summer-car.wikia.com/wiki/MY_SUMMER_CAR_GUIDE_2:_ELECTRIC_BOOGALOO

In regards to the fly I saw some spray at the store

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

One thing I've noticed is when you have things in the spot where they are meant to attach, at least on the car, the dot turns into a checkmark! I really wish there was a button to highlight all bolts (not just when you mouse over them), because I'm making some progress but I also feel like I might be leaving stuff unscrewed in which is probably bad.

MY SUMMER CAR ATTEMPT ONE:

Some progress after day 1! I basically got the suspension on the drat thing. The engine will be a whole other matter.

But I need to find food. I ate my only sausages. I read that I can take the boat for a shortcut. I guess I'll head toward that radio tower thing? Turns out there was nothing by the radio tower thing. I hooked a left and followed the shoreline.

A dock! This must be it, I'm saved!

I think that means store!

Delicious bag of groceries.

Now if I can just get home before I starve to death. God help me indeed.

I've grounded the boat. It won't move.

After awhile I managed to ram the boat off the shore by leaping at it, but now I can't get in it. Every attempt just results in me clipping through it.

I've completely screwed this. I'll just have a picnic on the shore, I guess.

gently caress you, horrible boat.

MY SUMMER CAR DAY ONE RESULT: UTTER FAILURE

I'm having fun, though.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This game is art. gently caress you Roger Ebert.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I found the place to chop wood at. And there was a bottle of booze near the axe, so I figured I'd take a swig.

Now I can't even chop wood correctly. Thanks game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I didn't realize how big the land mass is in this game until I decided to take the van instead of the boat to the store. That ate up a whole day. At least I have enough sausages and beer to last me probably a few in game weeks. It's definitely a smart move to do that first before you spend any serious time putting the car together.

I probably should also figure out how the whole woodchopping thing works before I run out of money.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ZearothK posted:

This game is art. gently caress you Roger Ebert.

:smith:

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Kraven Moorhed posted:

You could get wasted at the bar and wake up home and then try to tow the van back home with the tractor

Edit:

Note to self: don't try how fast the van can go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSNV9Msep9o

hillo fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 25, 2016

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Sort of disappointed that Finnish summer doesn't have snow for some reason.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Following that guide, my car is almost complete except for the loving muffler. I can't find the magic pixel to attach it to save myself and suspect this was intentional by the devs to extract maximum frustration.

I'm also hoping its the only reason i hear tinkling and popping sounds when I try the ignition.

Otherwise A+ 10/10 best pissing simulator since postal 2

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
Watching some group of engineer students try to build a car on twitch, apparently they started at launch and they just now got the car running and moving for the first time. Drove for 30 meters and the steering, brakes and gears stopped working.

• Locked thread