Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Thanks to my son I listen to Lion King's Be Prepared a lot, and I always get a chuckle out of potentially rhyming 'rewarded' with 'sworded' even though that doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Grendels Dad posted:

Thanks to my son I listen to Lion King's Be Prepared a lot, and I always get a chuckle out of potentially rhyming 'rewarded' with 'sworded' even though that doesn't make sense.

Huh. I thought the line was "sordid."

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Holy poo poo.... is that cum?!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

marshmallow creep posted:

Huh. I thought the line was "sordid."

:thejoke:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yes, Jon drank dog cum and has developed The Thirst. Now all he can think about is dog cum, it plagues his every waking thought.

edit username/post combo

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mysterious frankie posted:

Ok, but how do you guys pronounce sword?

Rapier.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

katana*

*Japanese for sword

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

garfield hentai posted:

Holy poo poo.... is that cum?!

ODIE CUM

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

katana*

*Japanese for long sword.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The Japanese people are famous for having 1000 words for "sword"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Phosphine posted:

Cot is almost universally pronounced /kɑt/ in the US.
Caught is sometimes pronounced /kɔ(ː)t/, and sometimes /kɑt/. I do not know their respective frequency.

Lot/thought can have the same issue. If you do not pronounce caught and thought so that they rhyme, it's pretty easy to change one to match the other to understand how it sounds for people who do.

Edit: as a non-native English speaker who was taught some attempt at British English in school but learned most of it from video games and TV, cot/lot rhyme for me, as do caught/thought, but not both. My experience from watching American shows is that cot/caught mostly do not rhyme, but that could also be both pronunciations being similar enough to eachother that I hear my way of saying it even if the people speaking say it slightly differently.

Congrats on being the only two people among fifty or so who managed to make a contribution beyond "duhhh they rhyme they make the flahfads sound"

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I usually like dialect talk, but somehow y'all made it boring

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

vyelkin posted:

I'm from Canada and I say kill 'em all thought, thot, taught, tot, taut, caught, cot, bought, bot, and hot all rhyme, and furthermore hottie and haughty are pronounced exactly the same

Seconded. Unless someone can post a clip of someone mispronouncing caught, I will continue to insist that this is some strange conspiracy

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bad(?) news everyone

https://twitter.com/naughtsling/status/1281853233653145601?s=19

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

HAHAHA! Goddamn. I mean, cum on.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

No way that dog nut was still piping hot, sitting in a small mug like that

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Death of the author, Jim. It means a lot to the community that Jon ate cum.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BrotherJayne posted:

Seconded. Unless someone can post a clip of someone mispronouncing caught, I will continue to insist that this is some strange conspiracy

I looked it up. It turns out that they pronounce caught correctly but mispronounce cot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3NHCJDq7M

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

No poo poo. I have a degree in linguistics, specializing in phonetics, and dialects/accents are 1000 percent my jam, but JFC this is tedious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phlegmish posted:

Some people say the US is bland and generic, the result of the entirety of Western culture (already boringly dominant) being thrown into a homogenizer machine and then spread out over an entire continent.

Those people are obviously ignorant and don't know about America's incredible cultural diversity - get a load of this: people in state X say 'soda' to refer to carbonated drinks...but people in this area [points to region 3,000 km away] say 'pop' sometimes. Amazing that Americans have managed to overcome these deep cultural divisions to remain united as a nation somehow.

What the gently caress is a km?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress is a km?

Thirty bucks, same as downtown

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Moose posted:

The Japanese people are famous for having 1000 words for "sword"

And they are all pronounced "sword"

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Okay everyone, we've had our fun, but the "I don't personally find this derail interesting" brigade is getting riled up so back to comics.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That's clearly dog semen but does this comic indicate that Jim Davis thinks you get pregnant by drinking it?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Moon Monster posted:

That's clearly dog semen but does this comic indicate that Jim Davis thinks you get pregnant by drinking it?

Probably some girl used that as an excuse not to blow him and he just thinks its true

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the vet is making a joke in universe.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Slimy Hog posted:

Funny, I'm usually utterly bored by dialect talk, but somehow y'all made it boring

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Sore D

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

How i felt after visiting your mom

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm assuming that my decision to never read any post in this thread that doesn't have a comic in it is still serving me well

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gimme some of that sweet sweet tickle juice

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

RFC2324 posted:

Probably some girl used that as an excuse not to blow him and he just thinks its true

"I'm sorry Jim, I can't because uh... I drank some dog jizz and now I'm gonna have puppies."

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

pfft, who among us wouldn’t be thrilled to blow a man of the caliber of jim davis?

right?

guys?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jim "Sex Machine" Davis

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dunno if it needs to be explained again but the original joke was that Jim Davis grew up on a farm and is used to fertility drugs for animals being a thing.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dunno if it needs to be explained again but the original joke was that Jim Davis grew up on a farm and is used to fertility drugs for animals being a thing.

You think that, but the original joke is actually that Liz's potent dog sperm got Jon pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
He swallowed puppy eggs and they are going to hatch and burst out of his stomach, obviously.