Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I bet dogbert's in hell

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I like the one-off Raven and Chugs, the storylines not so much. Dilbert gaming for 96 hours made me laugh, and so did the Dogbert assassination, but it just keeps going

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

Just wait until yo ufind out who Wally is married to.

His incredibly hot wife, Betty Boop (who is 90)?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I like the one-off Raven and Chugs, the storylines not so much. Dilbert gaming for 96 hours made me laugh, and so did the Dogbert assassination, but it just keeps going

I guess you didn't hear: these are unironic, they got the (ex) Mark Trail guy to write these.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is there like a blog dedicated to chronicling the gradual progression of brainworms of celebs? it'd be nice to see at which point Scott Adams could still be reasoned with.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Arrhythmia posted:

I bet dogbert's in hell

All Dogs go to Heaven.

Except those class traitors in the Paw Patrol and also Dogbert

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
So is this gonna end with Dilbert and Wally shooting up the office?

The time for Anime is now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Gnoman posted:

I'm referring to characters like "The Man-Hating Feminist", who was a recurring character early on in the strip.

yeah but 90s engineers liked it, so it was clearly pretty progressive

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The scary part is that real people genuinely try to cook like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQAauVu2sTg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Cooking like that is fine, just put whatever in whatever and make it warm

It's baking that requires finesse.

It's more a problem with a certain kind of person who reads a recipe about halfway but loses interest and just literally throws random ingredients in a pan to cook til it smoke and then gets angry when people don't like it

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Please post more historical turkish comics, this is very interesting

All the validation I need!

Up next is the phenomenon Gırgır.

WHOA THERE - Six students were arrested for having Gırgır and Limon comics in their lockers in Manisa

"He looks dangerous sir, he's actually smiling..."

Protesting Reagan bombing Libya in '82.

Gırgır means 'fun' in English. It started in 1972, and introduced three things to turkish comics mainly: Sex, Slang and every-day problems. Prior to Gırgır, comics in Turkey were a lot more elitist and west-oriented, somewhat sterile.

"Who scored, who scored??"

Gırgır started as a syndicated corner in a newspaper, then became a whole page, then two pages, then a small mini-zine given away with the paper, then became it's own thing, always pushing envelopes. In the 1980 coup, they got temprorarily closed down, and this cover was blamed:

"I don't care what's what, I sell flags too, I wanna be on TV!"

The govt used this lady's music to torture political prisoners.

I'm not joking btw. At the time, wearing the flag was prohibited by law, too.

They sold 450.000 copies at their peak, in a country with 45 million (at the time) people.

Another legacy of Gırgır is that almost all of the caricaturists/artists except the editors were around 18 year old or younger. In a field where almost all of the cadre were 30+ y.o. people - quite a lot of the older crowd also lived in europe for a while so there was a bit of a cultural dissonance. Gırgır allowed the sons and daughters of people moving to big cities to have a voice too, instead of just the euro-centric comics of the time . As you can guess this opened the floodgates.

Gırgır's leadership changed in 1989 and the main cadre of artists splintered into a fuckton of other zines. Then they became irrelevant. It kept going till 2017.

We're not done with the White/Black/Yellow days of turkish cartoons though!

Anyway, to finish this off, another one of that 2020lapshit guy's comics:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Incelshok Na posted:

So is this gonna end with Dilbert and Wally shooting up the office?

The time for Anime is now.
if this is a long post-hoc prequel to dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed I will be floored

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

lmao

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Those Turkish comics are really cool. Turkish history and culture is actually interesting, it's just too bad most of them are so ultra-nationalistic. I'm dreading the moment one of these comics is going to casually deny the Armenian Genocide or refer to Kurds as Mountain Turks :yikes:

Why can't they be more chill, they're by far one of the countries with the most potential in that region but they keep doing poo poo like electing Erdocan't

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Musluk posted:

WHOA THERE - Six students were arrested for having Gırgır and Limon comics in their lockers in Manisa

Gırgır means 'fun' in English. It started in 1972, and introduced three things to turkish comics mainly: Sex, Slang and every-day problems. Prior to Gırgır, comics in Turkey were a lot more elitist and west-oriented, somewhat sterile.

Gırgır started as a syndicated corner in a newspaper, then became a whole page, then two pages, then a small mini-zine given away with the paper, then became it's own thing, always pushing envelopes. In the 1980 coup, they got temprorarily closed down, and this cover was blamed:

They sold 450.000 copies at their peak, in a country with 45 million (at the time) people.

Another legacy of Gırgır is that almost all of the caricaturists/artists except the editors were around 18 year old or younger. In a field where almost all of the cadre were 30+ y.o. people - quite a lot of the older crowd also lived in europe for a while so there was a bit of a cultural dissonance. Gırgır allowed the sons and daughters of people moving to big cities to have a voice too, instead of just the euro-centric comics of the time . As you can guess this opened the floodgates.

Gırgır's leadership changed in 1989 and the main cadre of artists splintered into a fuckton of other zines. Then they became irrelevant. It kept going till 2017.

thanks, interesting stuff

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

Those Turkish comics are really cool. Turkish history and culture is actually interesting, it's just too bad most of them are so ultra-nationalistic. I'm dreading the moment one of these comics is going to casually deny the Armenian Genocide or refer to Kurds as Mountain Turks :yikes:

Why can't they be more chill, they're by far one of the countries with the most potential in that region but they keep doing poo poo like electing Erdocan't

yeah

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Musluk posted:

I will read every word of these posts as long as you make them, these are fascinating

Is it okay if I repost some of your translations and stuff on twitter? with attribution

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, alas ultra-nationalism (and casual sexism) is very much alive around here.

Frog Act posted:

I will read every word of these posts as long as you make them, these are fascinating

Is it okay if I repost some of your translations and stuff on twitter? with attribution

Go forth and :justpost:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Musluk posted:

have some more: that was an excellent post

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lól

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
*l'ol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
*MDR

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK I am drunk so maybe I'm wrong but I'm so proud of this I'll put it in spoilers:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK I am drunk so maybe I'm wrong but I'm so proud of this I'll put it in spoilers:

:five:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

omg who made these

also nice job jerry lol

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Dayum son, you are winning

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol

Jerry is drunk pretty much all of the time and that's just fine

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Phlegmish posted:

lol

Jerry is drunk pretty much all of the time and that's just fine

Why not just tell people he's a Finn?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Trans: Hello sir, do you have a few minutes to talk about Jesus?
NO!

I think the other ones work otherwise.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

RFC2324 posted:

Why not just tell people he's a Finn?

tbh im surprised he is able to type with a knife in each hand

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hunting and pecking with knives

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbh im surprised he is able to type with a knife in each hand

TYPIN WIT MY BALLS ALL FIVE OF EM

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

O____O
Jan 7, 2020

by Athanatos
im assuming the insanely unfunny nature of turkish comics directly leads to them denying genocides

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I remember when this was posted in the webcomic thread and laughed about, and somehow not only has it stuck it out but it’s become the best webcomic ever.

What the gently caress.

Stay away from this comic Lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Carthag Tuek posted:

omg who made these

also nice job jerry lol

http://2x1.wopah.com

They did this classic:

I don't know french but it's easy enough to put into a translator

"Noah, the flood has exterminated all living creatures on Earth. The water level will now go down, and it's up to you to rebuild the world."

"When I look into your eyes, I see a happy future"