Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Moon Slayer posted:

I'd love to bike to work, too bad that it's 90+ degrees with 90% humidity four months out of the year and my work clothes would be soaked through when I got there, or it's -10 degrees with a foot of snow five months of the year.

My clothes get soaked with sweat within 10 minutes of walking to and from the car. The south!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

As I understand it, the South is full of whiteys originally from the British Isles, hence the term rednecks

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rednecks were just white laborers originally. Sunburn and all.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The nuances of the etymology of "redneck" are disputed, but it is known to refer originally to sunburns on the necks of southern white farmers wearing insufficiently shady hats.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
whatever the source it's OK to call people rednecks

Its me, i'm the redneck gatekeeper

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

hhhat posted:

whatever the source it's OK to call people rednecks

Its me, i'm the redneck gatekeeper

lets see you holding up the sole of a Louboutin next to your neck first

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Elfface posted:

Bill Bryson has an anecdote in one of his books about being amazed by this when he moved back to America after living for a while in England. When he was out for a walk, people would offer to give him a ride to his destination, and his next door neighbours once drove to his house for a dinner party.

And later he tries to walk across a street and finds it impossible. Similar to this:

vyelkin posted:

A lot of places in the US don't even have sidewalks. If you want to walk somewhere you either walk in the street and risk getting hit by cars

In my Texas city of over 100,000 people, sidewalks are sporadic. People are constantly asking the city to add more, but it's slow, slow going--they are really only a thing in the rich neighborhoods and Broadway. We might have crosswalks, but many outside the city square do not work. They appear to have been installed to appease people that asked for them without the intention of actually being usable. One of these is the crosswalk leading to an elementary school in my neighborhood. It worked the year they installed it and hasn't worked since.

I live within 3 and some change miles of my work. There is a sidewalk for about a third of the route, but the rest has nothing but rough wasteland or the shoulder of the road. It takes me 15 minutes to drive through typical traffic, or an hour to walk and at many points it requires crossing highways that have these non-functioning cross walks or no crosswalks at all, so making the attempt is dangerous. I have seen at least one person sprawled out in the middle of the street on that route, post impact, on a day I was driving the other way.

I have a bike, but the last time I tried to use it I narrowly avoided getting hit and I just don't trust the drivers around here enough to try again.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sidewalk coverage varies regionally. Texas is more or less the worst at it.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

ulex minor posted:

lets see you holding up the sole of a Louboutin next to your neck first

i dont know what half of these words mean

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hhhat posted:

i dont know what half of these words mean

Which are the words you're struggling with, other than Louboutin?

I myself didn't know Louboutin, but I googled it. I had to work for it but it's a good joke

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

marshmallow creep posted:

And later he tries to walk across a street and finds it impossible. Similar to this:

In my Texas city of over 100,000 people, sidewalks are sporadic. People are constantly asking the city to add more, but it's slow, slow going--they are really only a thing in the rich neighborhoods and Broadway. We might have crosswalks, but many outside the city square do not work. They appear to have been installed to appease people that asked for them without the intention of actually being usable. One of these is the crosswalk leading to an elementary school in my neighborhood. It worked the year they installed it and hasn't worked since.

I live within 3 and some change miles of my work. There is a sidewalk for about a third of the route, but the rest has nothing but rough wasteland or the shoulder of the road. It takes me 15 minutes to drive through typical traffic, or an hour to walk and at many points it requires crossing highways that have these non-functioning cross walks or no crosswalks at all, so making the attempt is dangerous. I have seen at least one person sprawled out in the middle of the street on that route, post impact, on a day I was driving the other way.

I have a bike, but the last time I tried to use it I narrowly avoided getting hit and I just don't trust the drivers around here enough to try again.

I sold my car and only biked my last year in Austin...which should be a bike friendly city...but being texas it's not. Had someone get out of their car and try and fight me due to me not getting out of the way fast enough on a side street. Had lots of near miss almost run over situations. My cousin was cycling near the 360 bridge, famous area where Lance Armstrong bikes, and got shot with a bb-gun from a moving car. Cycling in Texas is horrible, most of the cities don't even have sidewalks and it's all highways through small cities, then the places that do have bikelanes treat cyclists like targets.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, that's what I meant earlier when I mentioned Brussels. It's a mostly-francophone city (and already as chaotic as can be) surrounded by Flanders, and it is assaulted on a daily basis by legions of Flemish commuters, some of them on bikes. That sort of culture clash is just asking for trouble, they couldn't pay me to cycle there

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
stupid sexy Flanders

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Thats like deep exurbs where everything is 15 miles apart and only guys on suspended licenses don't drive. Anywhere even slightly dense has sidewalks.

Nah, there's huge sections of suburban America without sidewalks within twenty miles of major cities.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

LifeSunDeath posted:

I sold my car and only biked my last year in Austin...which should be a bike friendly city...but being texas it's not. Had someone get out of their car and try and fight me due to me not getting out of the way fast enough on a side street. Had lots of near miss almost run over situations. My cousin was cycling near the 360 bridge, famous area where Lance Armstrong bikes, and got shot with a bb-gun from a moving car. Cycling in Texas is horrible, most of the cities don't even have sidewalks and it's all highways through small cities, then the places that do have bikelanes treat cyclists like targets.

I have seen one bikelane in my entire town, and it runs the length of a single cemetery and no farther. It is a joke.

I didn't know it got that hostile in Austin, but my only experience there is trying to drive through it to conference in Houston so I'm familiar with the easily frustrated drivers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Empty Sandwich posted:

stupid sexy Flanders

Just what is it about our flag that causes people to make this association?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Harry was never Dobby's master so those cum soaked socks wouldn't have freed him. This comic doesn't follow the Harry Potter canon and therefore it has no value.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Push El Burrito posted:

Harry was never Dobby's master so those cum soaked socks wouldn't have freed him. This comic doesn't follow the Harry Potter canon and therefore it has no value.

That's obviously a sad-sack early-middle-aged Harry, it's pretty clearly a sequel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's obviously a sad-sack early-middle-aged Harry, it's pretty clearly a sequel.

Uh, excuse me, Dobby is dead by the end of the series so he could never do such a thing!!

Please get your accurate knowledge of the horrible transphobe's series correct please.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
A small town cum tourist hot spot where I grew up had a diagonal crosswalk installed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ImpAtom posted:

Please get your accurate knowledge of the horrible transphobe's series correct please.

Yeah I was gonna get further into joking about canon vs my memory but this about sums it up.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Edit it so that it's Dobby asking Draco for his cum socks or I WALK!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

cum tourist hot spot

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Where can I find this cumtourist hot spot, asking for a friend

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the grand cum tour

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The small town cum tourist hot spots are where it's at. The ones in the cities are too loud and crowded nowadays.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I will only travel for the finest small town cum

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Thats like deep exurbs where everything is 15 miles apart and only guys on suspended licenses don't drive. Anywhere even slightly dense has sidewalks.

Lol if you think they still don't drive

I once carded someone for cigarettes who still had the under 21 license and party plates on their car.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Phlegmish posted:

Where can I find this cumtourist hot spot, asking for a friend

I think there's a podcast about it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Len posted:

Lol if you think they still don't drive

I once carded someone for cigarettes who still had the under 21 license and party plates on their car.

One of my students owes something like 4000 dollars in tickets, parking, speeding, etc, and his license expired years ago. He can't get a new license until he pays off the tickets, so for years he just...hasn't renewed his license. The only reason he's looking at paying the tickets now is because he needs a new valid ID to take his GED.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Is there a "help me find a comic" in bss somewhere? Either way, requesting help finding an old Maakies comic (even if it is in whichever collection) which is something like "Vacations compared by the classes" with a wealthy dude in a resort, well off person in a garden, and then Uncle Gabby sitting on a barrel of morning glory seeds(maybe) tripping his rear end off. Would greatly appreciate it

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1281322564409794563

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The powerup comics characters don't go for grabbing boobs because they can't get to them, so they just rub elbows instead.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: Americans and walking/footpaths.

I have an ex-girlfriend who lives in Indianapolis, and I once went to visit her. So I was at her house, and said I was going to walk to the shops, which was about a 10-15 minute walk. She looked at me like I was crazy, and I had to nearly argue with her that yes, I wanted to go for a walk outside on a nice day and see her neighbourhood. And also when I went on that walk, I can confirm that the footpath was sporadic, so I was walking on the side of teh road constantly looking for cars.

And whilst I am whinging about America and the way it's populace gets around. Why do you people hate public transport? In the Indianapolis suburbs, there was maybe 1 bus, and that bus ran once an hour, and stopped running around 6PM. Which is of less than no use to anybody.

Comic tax:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I live in rural Ohio a bit south of Akron.

People hate public transportation because it's not funded enough to be efficient, but they won't pass anything to give it better funding because it sucks. We've been told our whole lives that public transportation is bad and not worth our time get a car to the point where one of the guys in my social group was arguing with a person who lived in Columbus that all bus systems are bad and not worth the time because it's an hour between each bus and yadda yadda.

If I could I would absolutely take public transit to work because I hate driving and I would save so much money not having to drive 30 minutes to and from work each day.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

BrigadierSensible posted:

And whilst I am whinging about America and the way it's populace gets around. Why do you people hate public transport?

Racism.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Racism, hatred of poor people, hatred of spending taxpayer money on public projects (because they would benefit poor and non-white people), automakers historically killing it, the list goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You know how in Roger Rabbit the bad guys bought the busses in order to kill them to profit off the building of a freeway? That actually happened all over the country and public replacements were not made quickly or well.