Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

mysterious frankie posted:

Do you have some kind of article to back this up? I’ve only heard them rhyme when someone is trying to be funny by saying “hawt”.

Does this work?

https://imgur.com/9YwW3u5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

It's always exciting when goons insist that because they haven't experienced something, it therefore doesn't happen.

Mainly the “most American accents” part of the claim cot my attention.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://youtu.be/tgwYsqT6kk4

Mainly the “most American accents” part of the claim cot my attention.

What American accents don't they rhyme in?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hot and caught totally rhyme. Also caught and cot are pronounced the same. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to pick up some pop at the store after I put on my tenni-shoes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:wrong:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ask me about talking like a character from Fargo . Spoiler, it's not sexy.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

did someone prank you guys as kids and tell you that you pronounce the "a" in caught? you guys have seriously been walking around pronouncing it "cow-t" all your lives? that's amazing lmao

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's more like cawt instead of cot. There's a subtle diphthong in there. I think of 'caught=cot' as being more of a New England or at least Northeast thing instead of my own Mid-Atlantic thing.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
In California Cot and Caught rhyme, I can not think of a single accent where caught and cot don't rhyme, someone plz vocaroo themselves saying these two words if they don't rhyme in your accent.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Skwirl posted:

https://youtu.be/tgwYsqT6kk4

What American accents don't they rhyme in?

Caught sounds like caw-tuh. The o in cot and hot is more like ah than aw. Even in that video it’s distinct enough that you’d need to use slant rhyme to make hot and caught work. In summation, go live in a dungeon.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PYF Pronunciation: Language is making America great in heaven now

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

sensiblechuckle.gif

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In Philadelphia English caught sounds like a combination of "cawt" "coyt" and "calt". Imagine those three words smashed together at the same time. With context being a very big thing. The more emphasis you put on the word, the more accented it is. A Philadelphian might say "Yeah so 30 people in California cot the virus" but if they're speaking to a family member on the phone about personal exposure they're gonna say "So you might have CAWOYTL the virus??"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Philadelphia English is all about adding syllables to monosyllabic words and swallowing syllables from polysyllabic words based on context and what you're trying to put across which makes it the closest English has to a tonal language and also the best for actually conveying meaning.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

World Famous W posted:

Yeah, it rhymes to my southern accent

It rhymes to my Glaswegian accent, too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Caught sounds like caw-tuh. The o in cot and hot is more like ah than aw. Even in that video it’s distinct enough that you’d need to use slant rhyme to make hot and caught work. In summation, go live in a dungeon.

You pronounce caught with two syllables? And you were calling me insane?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's pronounced caw-ooft.

The chud cawooft the roni.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's pronounced caw-ooft.

The chud cawooft the roni.

ok chaucer

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

You yanks talk all weird.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Cot is almost universally pronounced /kɑt/ in the US.
Caught is sometimes pronounced /kɔ(ː)t/, and sometimes /kɑt/. I do not know their respective frequency.

Lot/thought can have the same issue. If you do not pronounce caught and thought so that they rhyme, it's pretty easy to change one to match the other to understand how it sounds for people who do.

Edit: as a non-native English speaker who was taught some attempt at British English in school but learned most of it from video games and TV, cot/lot rhyme for me, as do caught/thought, but not both. My experience from watching American shows is that cot/caught mostly do not rhyme, but that could also be both pronunciations being similar enough to eachother that I hear my way of saying it even if the people speaking say it slightly differently.

Phosphine has a new favorite as of 07:14 on Aug 7, 2020

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Having grown up with my accent, I can't even hear the difference between "caught" and "cot" spoken by someone with an accent in which they are pronounced differently.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfIWX5vGTEk

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Phosphine posted:

Lot/thought can have the same issue. If you do not pronounce caught and thought so that they rhyme, it's pretty easy to change one to match the other to understand how it sounds for people who do.
lot/thought vs lot/thot is a humorous thought experiment here

and "thot experiment" would be a good username

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Phosphine posted:

Cot is almost universally pronounced /kɑt/ in the US.
Caught is sometimes pronounced /kɔ(ː)t/, and sometimes /kɑt/. I do not know their respective frequency.

Edit: as a non-native English speaker who was taught some attempt at British English in school but learned most of it from video games and TV, cot/lot rhyme for me, as do caught/thought, but not both. My experience from watching American shows is that cot/caught mostly do not rhyme, but that could also be both pronunciations being similar enough to eachother that I hear my way of saying it even if the people speaking say it slightly differently.

Thought, lot, caught, and cot do all rhyme.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's pronounced soda and if you disagree I will slaughter you and your entire extended family

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cot-caught merger:

quote:

The cot–caught merger is a sound change present in some dialects of English where speakers do not distinguish the vowels in "cot" and "caught". Names like "cot–caught merger" and lot–thought merger come from the minimal pairs that are lost as a result of this sound change. The phonemes involved in the cot-caught merger are represented in the International Phonetic Alphabet as /ɒ/ and /ɔ/, respectively. These vowels are both low and back—as can be seen in the IPA chart—and is sometimes referred to as the low back merger. The father-bother merger that spread through North America in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries has resulted in many dialects having no vowel difference in words like "father", "lot", and "thought".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

It's pronounced soda and if you disagree I will slaughter you and your entire extended family

In civilized society we call it pop.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

pentyne posted:

[narrows eyes] I know where your village lives, militias incoming

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Also, words that start with "th" are pronounced closer to a "d" sound. For example: "Ooh, hei, are you gonna cook up dat dere walleye you caught?"

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

pentyne posted:

:yeah:

One more: there's no such thing as a "casserole," call it a hot dish or GTFO, riffraff.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Some people say the US is bland and generic, the result of the entirety of Western culture (already boringly dominant) being thrown into a homogenizer machine and then spread out over an entire continent.

Those people are obviously ignorant and don't know about America's incredible cultural diversity - get a load of this: people in state X say 'soda' to refer to carbonated drinks...but people in this area [points to region 3,000 km away] say 'pop' sometimes. Amazing that Americans have managed to overcome these deep cultural divisions to remain united as a nation somehow.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Phlegmish posted:

Some people say the US is bland and generic, the result of the entirety of Western culture (already boringly dominant) being thrown into a homogenizer machine and then spread out over an entire continent.

Those people are obviously ignorant and don't know about America's incredible cultural diversity - get a load of this: people in state X say 'soda' to refer to carbonated drinks...but people in this area [points to region 3,000 km away] say 'pop' sometimes. Amazing that Americans have managed to overcome these deep cultural divisions to remain united as a nation somehow.

Yawn, the people saying 'soda' are descendants of Dutch settlers and the people saying 'pop' have... *spins wheel*... Welsh roots.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Caught, taught, bought rhyme. They're the same sound, 'aw'. Same as maw or craw.

They're not supposed to perfectly rhyme with cot, tater-tot and bot, which is the short 'o' sound. They are intended to have different vowel sounds. Some regional accents will make the 'aw' sound like a short o instead though.

Sincerely, a dude that taught English in Asia for most of a decade and had to learn how I was speaking English.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm from Canada and I say kill 'em all thought, thot, taught, tot, taut, caught, cot, bought, bot, and hot all rhyme, and furthermore hottie and haughty are pronounced exactly the same

vyelkin has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Aug 7, 2020

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Ok, but how do you guys pronounce sword?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sword

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Oh. Well I feel foolish.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

If I'm singing along with Wutang, it's "sWoard." At other times, it's "sord"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/garfieldpicture/status/1291720770004099073