Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically any issue where self-proclaimed feminists actually agree with the religious right probably isn't actually feminist.

What's with the qualifier "self-proclaimed"? I mean, who's to say someone else is not a feminist?

Also, the religious right wants to prosecute sex workers because they believe selling sex is sinful. The feminist left wants to prosecute the sex buyers because they believe buying sex is (always or nearly always) exploitation. They will fight each other tooth and nail on this issue. In summary, you're full of poo poo.

I tried finding a relevant comic strip on the topic to post, but couldn't find much. Have some Chester Brown.

:nws:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Nj4vuVBFVAQ/Ucxg9WJ5z8I/AAAAAAAAA-Q/FMOR0WVFdds/s400/Brown002.jpg

(It turns out later that the girl in the scene does not speak English and was taught to use the phrase "it's OK".)

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 13:40 on Aug 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Ya'll got any more of them bird comics?

https://www.indietits.com/archive/2005_04_01_archive.html

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Mods, can we officially close this thread? It's literally only ironically posted garbage comics now.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tiggum posted:

If one wanted to be generous, "America" could also be short for "North America".

So, there is actually three continents and one subcontinent in the picture. But of course, America is actually two continents, so then we have four continents and one subcontinent embodied as four characters.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Nah, that can piss off.

" you just didnt trrrrrry hard enough."

There's a difference between people who need to hear this advice (introverts doing what they're most comfortable with and making themselves unhappy) and people who exhibit the same behavior but who absolutely don't need this advice (people with with clinical depression).

Here, have some content - not sure if it passes as a comic, but it's published by a comic book publisher so :shrug:.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Salmon are also famous for jumping, I guess?

As for the second one .... is that a stone? Did the dog throw a stone at Heathcliff but it just bounced off his gut??

I think it might be the button off his pants?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

gently caress, I was convinced this comics were some kind of internet meme photoshops until you posted this.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I guess I'm the last person to notice but the new Nancy cartoonist really did a number on that comic.

Also I just learned about Firefox Screenshots and it's pretty neat!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Lemon posted:

the skeleton joke comics rely on timing rather than funny faces

Using funny faces after the punchline is a crutch signifying that the author is insecure about the quality of the punchline. It's a way to indicate the desired reaction to the reader. Much like a person who laughs too loudly at their own jokes, it just makes me want to leave the room / close the browser tab. I'm sure the idea is the same as the canned laughter on TV. It works on TV because we can imagine the sitcom as a play with a live audience in the room. It just doesn't work in a comic strip.

Edit: That's a pretty great Nancy.

And yeah, comics that are just huge word balloons with illustrations are one of my pet peeves. Go make an infographic or write a blog post or whatever, instead.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Oct 16, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Krankenstyle posted:

Ya, I did for a while too.

I think it's the first oglaf that I just plain don't get. It's a cute little story but there's no punchline. I just want to understand it :(

Maybe the punchline is coming in the next week's strip? I don't know, I can't read Oglaf at work so they might have posted a new storyline already and I'm being stupid.

Oglaf, to me, stands out because it seems like the only comic strip with the ambition to make sex jokes without being sexist, furry, or otherwise creepy. (If anyone has other examples, this is the time to post them.)

One of my favorite story lines is the one with the crappy doctor and the milking table. Many good punchlines to be had.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Spider-man one did legit make me laugh. It's definitely an Aunt May thing to do.

It's a Dan Piraro, they're usually at least mildly funny. Used to be the best thing around back in the 90's but every cartoonist gets old eventually.

The OMG MOM is obviously an edit, and a completely superfluous one since it only belabors the original punchline.

https://bizarro.com/cartoons/nggallery/page/1

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Oct 24, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tiberius Christ posted:

i thought penny arcade started it

Do you have an example of that, because I can't see PA using it now at least.

Their spin-off-ish comic The Trenches has had it from the start though, and it annoyed me then just as it does now. (Man, that comic was obnoxious in so many ways.)
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/9811

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

KennyMan666 posted:

"No, it's called clearcutting"

I guess that comic doesn't really translate to English. "Föryngringsyta" is a spin term, used by the logging industry since the Swedish word for clear cut ("kalhygge") was made politically charged by the environmental movement of the 80's. The literal meaning would be something like "rejuvenation area", I can't come up with a good English translation. The joke works so damnably well in Swedish though.

Sorry to hear he passed, he was pretty big in the dailies when I was growing up.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Brewmaster posted:

I'm just mad that those jobs exist now, but I'm too old. I coulda been the best twitch streamer.

If we'd had Twitch back in 1988, I would have been full time on making Sid Meyer's Pirates! roleplay streams.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Phlegmish posted:

I don't get why he got probated for that, it's just what he does and most of us love it.

Eh, I don't think we do...

In other news, bobbins.horse by John Allison is back from its hiatus, filling in for Bad Machinery during its hiatus.

A few new episodes are up at http://bobbins.horse/comic/104 and updating mondays, wednesdays and fridays.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 11:01 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Phlegmish posted:

Though I will admit to being intrigued by the white trash Flemish (??) dad

I'm guessing that's her Flemish (?) landlord, but I don't think we're supposed to be sure. The suspense!

Seriously though, Allisson is a heck of a writer, but it's a story based web comic, not a lot of gags. I know those don't sit well with this thread so take it for what it is.