Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
My preorder copy of One More Year arrived like a week ago. I have been going through it slowly to savor it, but a lot of the comics in it have already been posted in this thread. Still a great comic, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

I vaguely remember reading something where Simon Hanselmann said that there is time continuity in the series, but the second and third books are just collections of stories and do not fit into the overall story, while the first book and upcoming book do contain overall development.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

I really enjoyed that this comic is titled Daki McKura

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

Yes, more Branson Reese!

It should be a crime to bring up Branson Reese and not post the best comic ever made:

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Tiggum posted:

What does "YE" mean? And does she have an actual website? Where is one is supposed to find her comics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EoRBvdVPQ

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

I was barely 15 when I got my account and paid an upperclassman in high school to buy me my account. If only I could have been a normal kid and just bought drugs.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Those comics are pretty powerfully terrible in that they are a really great setup for a "subversion of expectations" joke but then completely meet the expectations and have no subversion. It's like a "better nate than lever" or "no soap, radio" but somehow even worse because there isn't even a payoff or "I tricked you", just a completely mundane and absurdly predictable finish that couldn't possibly bring joy to anyone.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Len posted:

I've never thought about buying a Megg Mogg and Owl collection but if the covid series gets printed I'm sold day 1

I haven't seen any concrete statement about a book in particular, but he has talked about how he has made 2 extra panels for each comic for a print edition, as his books are 12-panel and the Instagram posts are 10.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

I would like a Megg Mogg & Owl gang tag thanks in advance

as on offering here's a rare panel of Mogg overdosing on boner pills

:nws:-ish https://i.imgur.com/wBKnHDwm.jpg :nws:-ish

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Which book was that in?

the comic is titled "Silk Road" and was the preorder bonus for Seeds and Stems

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

finally someone has posted a comic with true mass appeal

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

it's a spectacular run of comics and I'll definitely be picking up a print version when and if one happens

Same

I mean I already buy every MM&O print piece I can get my hands on, but this was real good.

It will also serve as a pretty good reminder of what was happening in 2020, as it generally related to current events. You know, because at some point we'll be looking back on this shitshow rather than living it. Hopefully.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Instagram limits the number of images per post, which is 2 fewer than there are panels in a standard MM&O page. Thus in the print version there will be 2 extra panels per comic.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

burexas.irom posted:

I always thought TBK was poor man's PBF, kinda surprised to see the love here
I find more TBK comics I don't get than PBF, and brother, I'm a goon so I barely get any at all

I liked TBK, but yeah, it was always a subpar replacement for PBF when they stopped updating with any regularity. TBK is still funny, but less than I remember it being.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

oh my loving god

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

I also have purchased Ant Colony, and have been debating about posting Birds of Maine in this thread because it is one of the few comics I actually keep up with these days. Michael Deforge is great.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Please make this the thread title, I've been good

goons love the meat tank title :colbert:

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Today's Nancy is really good.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Fools Infinite posted:

'Above-walkers all have such strange names,' thought Buttfranklin Buttwhistle.

This is always one of my favorite Nedroids and it's so much better in context.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Hattie Masters posted:

And here I was about to say that loving Diaz managed to make another comic suck and not just their own!

lol I was gonna say that that guest comic really demonstrates how good the PFSC creator was at writing it. I was surprised to see someone like it, especially given that they also like the KC Green one (which is really good imo), as I think it really sucks poo poo big time. I even used to like Dresden Codak, too.

The joke in it is such a simple one (and one that's been played out in many movies, hardly being novel), and the entire thing is ruined by terrible pacing and over-the-top scifi wankery. The best PFSC comics of that style are really good at just punching you in the gut or really just touching a depression/anxiety nerve. That guest comic is just like "oh, ok, I get it" and doesn't land at all.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

This graffiti is right outside my window and my brain continually interprets it as Reginald looming outside my window.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

This is why I bookmark this thread. It’s like 95% poo poo but when that 5% hits, it’s awesome.

I agree, actually bothering to read pupkin has been a lifechanging experience for me

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

I do not dislike the possum Clementine comic, but I think it is considerably worse than MM&O (which I will admit I think is an absolute masterpiece).

I think neither one really comes off as realistic, but for vastly different reasons. When people relate to the Clementine comic, they're not seeing a reflection of what their lives were like, but what they imagined their lives were like. This will come across as more derogatory than I intent, but it seems kind of like the same type of thing as the terrible cute relationship comic wank fantasy crap comics that gets shared on facebook, just focused on a way more niche culture and at a higher level of technical skill. But it's still a "omg thats me" type thing, even though that's not what anyones lives are ever actually like.

In contrast, MM&O, while not having particularly relatable characters, does a great job of representing not who we see ourselves to be, but rather showing who we really are. The characters are something of a caricature, but while I've never known anyone so far off the deep end as the MM&O characters, they so strongly reflect the tendencies of so many people I know. I think MM&O really does a great job of showing what people are really like, deep down, in the ways that they try to hide or suppress, and then thrusting it in your face.

Also for the record, yeah Mogg is the only one of the primary characters who just completely sucks and has no redeeming qualities. They all suck, though.

Also today's Birds of Maine comic really resonated with my mood so I'm gonna share it.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Clementine doesn't make me feel nostalgia because I was never as cool as Clem or her friends. I was more like one of those random assholes they encounter.

This kind of gets at the heart of what I'm talking about. It's not that my issue with Clementine et al. is that they're not lovely enough. It's that they're not boring enough. It's like an idealized version of that type of person. The people I've known like that aren't loving around in the woods or hangin out at parties, they were hanging out smoking weed and watching tv reruns. I think it's no different than how people like to think they're big on hiking or whatever but spend most of their time crashing on the couch after work watching Netflix. The comic depicts an idealized version of that lifestyle. There's nothing wrong with that, and I do like the comic, but I just see it more as enjoyable fluff. I would actually go so far as to say that MM&O is actually less realistic, in the sense that are a hell of a lot fewer people out there like Megg than Clementine, but I think MM&O is more grounded in realistic human traits. It *does* show people at their worst, to an unrealistic extent, but at the same time I get it.

I'm also not trying to change people's minds here. You are all free to enjoy whatever you want. I, personally, enjoy Pupkin. I just love MM&O immensely and have put a lot of thought into what makes it so special to me, as someone who really don't relate with the characters at all (which seems to be a big talking point for it).

Also for fans of hosed up comics, Ines Estrada has been recently posting Cherry on her Instagram, and it's worth checking out:
https://www.instagram.com/inechi__/

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

I mentioned Cherry before. It is one of my favorite comics, so I am posting it. Here are all the instagram posts with it. I know that's not convenient but I don't really feel like rehosting the whole thing. Warning that it does have some :nws: bits.

post 1
post 2
post 3
post 4
post 5
post 6
post 7
post 8
post 9
post 10
post 11
post 12
post 13
post 14

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

even though he is a monster, i liked pumpkin dog #1 and have largely been horrified by the events that have unfolded in pupkin

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

As much as I love powerup comics (a lot), the series of comics that exist entirely just to dunk on dumb rear end chud scott adams is a whole other level of perfection

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Pupkin, the comic, is incredible.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Kennel posted:

New gang tag

please

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

MADE BY 𝓟𝓾𝓹𝓴𝓲𝓷

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

e: not the Pupkin/Tredlocity crossover grid.

but why not tho

do you not love Pupkin

Congrats, though, your stuff is loving great.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Can anyone recommend a comic with lots of forest scenery?
I'm trying to find a way to draw my local ironbark forests without spending six hours per tree and it's driving me slowly insane.
SSSS has a lot of forests, but their use of colour is so perfect that it circles around to being depressing.

There are a lot of Megg Mogg & Owl comics that take place in the woods.

Really the question is whether or not you're trying to do realistic or not. I think a lot of the more realistic, gorgeous forests in comics are just a tremendous amount of work. I'll second False Knees if you want that kind of inspiration, though. The author has such a great grasp of plants.

Also, not really a comic and probably not the style you're looking for, but Kay Nielsen did a bunch of illustrations of forest scenery that are surprisingly varied and all gorgeous.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

I have been working on some New Yorker styled comics for a project.

Sharing, in hopes you might enjoy them.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Help, I like this and I don't know why

This is a great compliment, especially coming from you, the master of comic mimicry.

I'm really trying to walk that line where it's not really totally clear if there's a joke or not—that is so emblematic of the pop culture opinion of New Yorker cartoons. I want vibes of comedy and vibes of cynicism, while still being generally fairly inscrutable.

I'm totally enamored by New Yorker comics, though. The ones actually published by the New Yorker tend to suck pretty bad, but a lot of the artists post comics on instragram that are similar in style but a little more funny. I find Guy Richards Smit and Asher Perlman to be the best follows.

Here's a random selection of some comics I've liked. Maybe I'll post more, maybe I won't.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

:eyepop:

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I generally dislike action scenes in comics, for a number of reasons that I won't get into. I wanted to call attention to the fight scene at the termination of Necropolis, though, because I think it is just such a phenomenal demonstration of a fight scene done well, and really want to point out what make it so loving good.

In short, a fight scene needs to be rich with details that give purpose to dedicating the amount of space it takes up. Comics are not like tv/movies. The choreography of a fight is much less visually/mentally interesting, so it is much harder to justify.

A brief refresher of the comic up until this point: The girl is a farmgirl who essentially pulled a bargain-with-the-devil for a magic sword after her home was destroyed by bandits, started using this sword to clear the area of bandits, which drew the attention of the capital. They captured her and would have put her to death, except the older woman took her on as an apprentice instead. The girl was unruly and untrained and unwilling to study under her, but (somewhat unwillingly) yields, and at this point seems to have warmed up to her a little. They have been summoned to the distant Augury, where they find the Oracle and everyone there has been killed, and they're ambushed.

The first thing I want to call attention to is the color. There's no easy way to show the palette of the rest of the comic, but take my word that it's generally brighter and with a much wider range of colors. This deep red/purple swath of the spectrum is a stark contrast, and it's done to great effect. The reds convey panic and danger, and the purples and overall darker tones are very claustrophobic. Just the colors alone show that she is both in immediate peril and is also completely unsound of mind, not at all prepared for this type of threat. This is further echoed through the way the background has faded away. Necropolis tends to be rich of detail in the background, and in this scene, we not only have panels with no background at all, but even in the cases where something is drawn in, it's lacking detail, with a very light line weight that even frequently drops out. This gives a sense that the protagonist has completely lost awareness of her soundings and is completely tunnel-visioned on the attacker in front of her.

Next, onto the attacker itself. There's obvious elements of inhumanity in the design itself (animal skull, cleavers as weapons). But, look at the way he moves. The way his limbs are straight-armed and the poses are stiff give off big vibes of lurching, inhuman movements. Even as you're reading through this fight, you're picking up information about who/what these guys are.

The, the last thing I wanted to call attention to is the final page, the climax of the fight, where she kills the attacker. Yeah, a big point of the scene is that she was patient, blocking/avoiding the attacks until an opening appeared (which was what was shown to be her deficiency during training at the start of the chapter). That part is pretty obvious. But there's even more to it than that. She is drawn in the 2nd panel to be giving the killing blow with her eyes closed tightly, and in panel 3 we see her skillfully repositioning her hands from the 1st panel to drive the sword deeper in for the kill. Even though she's clearly still terrified, she acts skillfully with the sword, something she was totally lacking before starting her training. It's this really powerful moment that demonstrates that the teachings of the older woman are really sinking in, to the extent that she can execute them subconsciously, which is this huge moment of character growth.

All of this is conveyed with (basically) no dialogue.

Necropolis was really good, and I'm incredibly sad we probably will never get more.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

some plague rats posted:

Yeah I couldn't figure that one out either, but I've never seen a fight drawn in a manga that I've actually thought was good so I wasn't going to say anything because it's just not for me in general

Not to mention that instead of having clear, easy to follow action that demonstrates through action and response how to feel, just having a bunch of spectators going BWUUUUH THE ANCIENT TECHNIQUE GARA SARA NO GUJITSU!!?? WAAAAH!! is the absolute epitome of telling, not showing

Here's a good metric: if you remove all the dialogue from a fight, can you still tell what's happening. Who's winning, how, etc

I feel extremely similarly.

I do think that rabbit-hunting scene from A Bride’s Story was quite good, though.

Once again, I largely dislike fight scenes in comics in general. And, while I think manga tends to be the worst offender, I see the same thing from western serialized superhero comics. And, I'm not trying to insult people or the things that they like. But, I think the huge flaw that these comics have is that so much of the action is there just because the artist wants to make something that looks cool. I think a lot of these really disjointed and confusing panels come are supposed to have a "WHOAA HOLY poo poo" effect on the reader. My personal tastes lean really far into the insufferable artsy comics, so that type of thing inherently doesn't appeal to me, but I think the reason it's really so bad is that it doesn't have a real meaningful purpose for the story and tends to violate existing standards on how to convey things in the medium.

I think there's a lot of "convention" on how to depict things in an effective manner (e.g. conveying motion with that Tom & Jerry "Line of Action" tutorial). Or, like I mentioned, the color palette used in the Necropolis fight scene follows color theory conventions to achieve emotional effect. If you don't have a purpose for your fight besides "whoa that was cool", you're not incentivized to reach into that depth of convention for stylistic choices to achieve such a thing. And, if you're not using convention, you're incentivized to break away from it to be more interesting from a standpoint of novelty. But, the end result is just that the final product doesn't really make sense.

The color palette thing isn't really inherent to action scenes, but is much easier to talk about compared to the mechanics of illustrating motion, so I'll use it as an example, and hopefully it's easy enough to understand how this sort of thing translates to the designs of a lot of manga and superhero comics. It's unfortunately very hard to articulate these points. Take for example how Necropolis used the dark red and purple tones to convey panic, danger, and claustrophobia. If your comic uses a non-standard color palette just because it looks "cool", you completely lose the ability to use color in that way (or at least it becomes very difficult to weave those two things together). You lose emotional impact and meaning just for the sake of something that looks "cool". Flouting color convention can make something visually interesting, but it comes at the cost of the value that convention has, and why it's used in the first place. That doesn't mean it isn't something you should do, but I also think it shouldn't be done lightly, and if you want to truly make a great comic, you need to make sure you can make up for these deficiencies elsewhere.

But anyway, I think a similar effect happens in a lot of manga et al. To have these crazy fight sequences with powers you've never seen before and insane moves, you're kind of inherently pulled away from the clean, concise methods of illustrating action. I think there's a reason the action of that rabbit-hunt scene works so well and is so easy to follow, and it's because it's such a simple, well-developed set of actions. No one is going to look at that and be like "HOLY poo poo THE THING THAT CHARACTER DID WAS SO SICK!!!", but at the same time it's incredibly easy to follow what is going on, and I think has a very powerful emotional impact, through the mechanisms coolusername described, even though the action itself is pretty simple.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

As a daily Heathcliff reader who recently read Wuthering Heights, this has been floating in my head for weeks, and I had to bring it to life.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

coolusername posted:

Eh, I knew it was a bad fit for the thread

i mean you're not wrong, it doesn't appear to be absolute garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007