Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's his nose, not a little smile. His mouth is under the blanket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
it's a festivus miracle

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If the bottom right corner of an oglaf is not clipped, hit the next button, there's more comic. If it is clipped, you're done.

There's almost certainly a sex joke somewhere in there but I'm not going looking for it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

I know. I would never believe a goon could make a good comic

Abbadon, who does Kill Six Billion Demons (and two entirely different pen and paper RPGs) has an account as Operant, he posts once in a blue moon

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I for one have always been against big jerks, soda or otherwise

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

God, thank you

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I remember seeing one of those "really stoned guy tries to order fast food" type comics, but it was done for a thread in GBS 1.0. This European guy got baked off his rear end and tried to order pizza, and when they asked him what he wanted on it he was just, like, "... mayonnaise?"

I'm sorry that's not very funny outside the context of the comic but "... mayonnaise?" has stuck with me for many a year

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnmcw6kJ2HQ

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

I liked Garfield minus Garfields predecesor way better, where that didn't remove Garfield, but did remove his thought bubbles.

My people!

Sad John is better than Sad Crazy John.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nurge posted:

e: Bob the Angry Flower is another early webcomic I loved the poo poo out of, but I think it aged a bit less well. Space Moose is just pure counter-culture chaos and a lot of it stands the test of time. There are a few comics that are a bit too grody, but overall it's pretty great.

Both the Space Moose guy and the fellow who does Bob are from Edmonton. The Bob guy is also the brother of Alberta's last (and potentially next) premier, Rachel Notley.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Groke posted:

Although At the Mountains of Madness was probably one of the least racist stories HPL wrote? On account of not having much in the way of minority human characters in it.

Strangely, Lovecraft's narrator extends more respect to the Elder Things than his characters commonly do to anyone not a white New Englander. "Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star-spawn—whatever they had been, they were men!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Those Boop comics have real strong "hey andy sweetie" energy but in a good way

I can only ever see Peach doing the Hawkeye Face in the last panel

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pictures for Sad Children creator shamed themselves right off the internet

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Excuse the fact that it's from a creepypasta wiki, I'm pretty sure the original was from 4chan from like 15 years ago.

https://creepypasta.fandom.com/wiki/Dogscape

I was sure I read the first couple of dogscape entries here - maybe on the front page, though I'm having a tough time finding it. Here's forums poster ferrinus posting the first entry in fyad (content warning: 2008-era fyad)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=352904455

Of course it could be he was just reposting it from somewhere else

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FFT posted:

I wanted to say it was Legobastard but that may be off

Hellbastard was the :hb: skull comic guy who got ran out of GBS 2.0, legorobot was the scowling-goon-closes-the-curtains comic guy who got doxxed as a pedo by helldump

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

I just imagined Watterson reading through that pap, forcing himself to focus though his eyes slide off it, skin turning boiled-lobster-red, vein throbbing in his forehead, nose running, teeth clenched around a long-dead cigarette stub until he reaches the end, when he lets out a scream of visceral, primal rage as he picks up his monitor and tears it to shreds with his bare goddamn hands.

And then he eats them.

I can't imagine Watterson having a monitor, much less an entire computer

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That all sounds about right, but the initiator for the whole thing was when the gods had a feast for which those three were present. The goddess of Strife, Eris, lobbed a golden apple inscribed "KALLISTI", or "fairest", into the middle of the feast, and she was like "lol sort it out between yourselves, peace out shitlords" and then the whole thing you said happened.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't have youtube embeds turned on in the app, so I'm glad that was exactly what I hoped it was gonna be

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

Finnish also have their own pantheon of gods, completely separate from the Norse in West and slavic in East. And obviously, everything was "chistianized" after the 12th century.

Fun fact, the original name for the Ukko's representative, a bear, was considered sacred "True name" of the chief god and saying it out loud was very no-no and brought bad times, so several work-around names were invented. For example the current most common Finnish words for bear '(karhu, or also mesikämmen, kouvo, kontio, otso, metsän omena, metsän kuningas or nalle) are all work-arounds, and the original word for bear is believed to be lost since we really didn't write that stuff down until the Swedes showed up in the 11th century.

Assuming etymonline isn't loving with me or oversimplifying, "bear" is also a way of referring to the creature without using its real name, as it comes from a Germanic word meaning "the brown one". Other northern cultures also went out of their way to provide new names for the bear. But the Greek and Latin words, "arktos" and "ursus", both come from the original PIE root. Incidentally, this means the brown/grizzly bear's scientific name, Ursus arctos, means Bear bear. The Arctic is the land of bears. And the Antarctic is the place away from bears.

We got really weird about bears.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wild T posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out if he's wearing shoes or loaves of bread.

You've never seen loafers?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Y'know the thing about Dagwood, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'... until he bites ya. And those black eyes roll over white, and then... oh, then you hear that terrible high-pitch screamin', the ocean turns red, and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces.

You have nothing to fear from Dagwood Bumstead unless you're a gigantic sandwich

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

There has been a thread series in BSS for .... like a decade now, that is for Newspaper comics. People cover modern stuff, but the old strips are represented as well.

Aunt Fritzy has been ran a few times. Currently into the run of Thimble Theater, though we are well past the point where Popeye becomes the main character.

One person is running the old Prince Valiant Sunday strips from the 1930s.

It was funny seeing y'all talk about this

I know about the Newspaper Comics thread, I just never visit it cause it moves so g'drat fast.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Everett True or whatever the fat grumpy man's name is, that guy's loving ageless, hasn't aged a day and it's all perfect

YES. (e: except his attitude about suffragettes, that obv. hasn't aged well)

Y'know what's weird to me, though, is L'il Abner. Newspaper comic strip about hillbillies that was just insanely popular back in its day. Invented the concept of the Sadie Hawkins dance. They built a theme park about it. And now nobody gives a poo poo except sometimes my mom mentions The Shmoo.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

So that's just straight up Etrigan before he was Etrigan?

Pictures aren't loading in this article, but Etrigan was based on this page! I learned something today.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

moosecow333 posted:

But how did he know where the find the painting in the first place!?

Honestly though, those comics are super cool so I don’t even care about crap like that.

He told himself when he was handing himself the painting from the warehouse.

Invincible gives not one single poo poo for causal loop paradoxes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ž̵͇̥͚̤̼̣̲̲͕̫͓͓̫̅͛͂̎͋̋̿̈́̎̇̐̕͝͝ͅa̵̡̟͚̍̏̎̐̀͆̽͒̐̍̒̋̀̋̕͝l̶̢̢̢̩̮̹̖̝͓̠͕̩̠͚͉̿̏͋̐̿̀͌̋̓̔͆̎̅͛̕͘̕ģ̸̛̳̥̹̼͚̱͓̹͔̝̟̪̠̤͎͊͑͑̓̓͐̈́͊̔͝ǫ̴̨̢̹̠͖̤̏̅̾̅̓̊̾̚

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Peacharino

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Just Offscreen posted:

Weep the weepy weep way.

I have to watch this video! I'll hit you with a rock, I'll do what I have to!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

IM not sure what to make of Scoob and shag

It started off as loads of crass dick and balls gags, turned into a weird resident evil survival thing, and now is someones anime script but with established cartoon characters.

Its confusing and id be more confused if we dont get another genre shift.

It's spent the bulk of its run as Jojo But With Toons

But even Jojo didn't really start out as Jojo

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

I shall reply with the stern, revolting glare of the owlvatar.

whatup, avs-that-disturb-their-owners buddy

unfortunately it hasn't stopped me either

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't much care for the taste of cilantro, but there's a couple dishes I make that call for it, and they're always far better when I use fresh cilantro rather than dried or no cilantro

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Does she hang out with the other immortal disembodied head lady or are they sworn enemies

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

mrfart posted:

The guy with the hitler mustache? I dont think so.

For a minute I thought you meant Jordan didn't have a Hitler moustache, though he totally does*, but I realized you probably just meant Jordan wouldn't be wearing fatigues and on a military base

*There's two people I know of who wore Hitler moustaches after Hitler. One is real and plays basketball, one is fictional and want pictures of Spider-Man, and both are assholes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I bet her name is "Chatorie"

As in Chicken-cat Chatorie

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Don't make promises you know you can't keep, Scott.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

I'm pretty surprised Scott Adams had anything to do with the Dilbert TV show because it was actually funny.

I have a Dilbert comic on my wall at work but it's 23 years old

"Eggs are basically cheese that comes from chickens" is a phrase written on my soul

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

At least that makes them easy to google.

But those aren't googley eyes??

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ok but this one I can only read as the Beastie Boys and they all shout the last word of each line (like they do)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Someone further down the thread calculated that, depending on when the comic was made, the weregild for taking a poke at a cop was anywhere from $750 to $1450

Cheap at the price

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Les cheveux des chevaux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

Well, well, well.