Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

"American comics" is used to distinguish between native manga and overseas comics (traditionally of the superhero variety). I don't think it has to refer strictly to comics out of the States, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sharkskin is used to grate fresh wasabi.

Also: http://comicsidontunderstand.com/wordpress/

It's horrible, so it probably doesn't belong here. Have this, one of my favorite comics, instead:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Who draws these? That's maybe the third or fourth I've seen here and I've liked them all.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ta! :tipshat:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I love Owl's side-eye. :allears:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Very disappointed, expected CAD.
Same, but MOJ. :shudders:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

As a translator, I appreciated them.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I need to find an old Achewood, and their search tool (ohnorobot) is dead.

All I remember is that in the final panel, Teodor has become rich, and is playing tennis while talking into his bluetooth

He's debating a BMW or a Porsche, and when he catches himself thinking about the resale value, he apologizes for the thought from "a different life" before saying he has to hang up and serve.

HELP
It looks like comic #636, but I can't get any closer than that. :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Peanut Butler posted:

I dont get this one though

Dude mistook the roundabout sign for a recycling sign and is dumping his recyclables there.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Krinkle posted:

So why did people stick their pinkys out ever, in the first place, if for the entire span of observable history, it's been a dumb joke thing for actresses to do before jim carrey comes in and farts on their character and they have to drop their monocles into their tea and say my word!!!!!
I saw a TV show cover this the other day. Turns out it's the mechanical difference between gripping and grasping, for lack of a better word. Picture the full-fisted grip you give the handle on a full frosty mug of beer: pinky in. Now picture grabbing a fast-food soft-drink cup (or a teacup, etc.): it's a softer "finger-pinch" that literally does not involve the muscles that clench the pinky in/down. Of course, then there's exaggeration for comic effect.

Favorite comic, let's see... I think this has been posted here before, but my husband got me a big loving print of it for my birthday, and I love him for it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

What do you think the "RO" in "CD-ROM" or "DVD-ROM" stands for? :thunk:
Re-Orrange?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Whoa, is that new? I thought she was taking a break from comics these days.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sir Azrael posted:

Please help me find the comic your avatar is based on. It is very good and plugging various permutations of "mario + turtles + property is theft etc etc" into google isn't working for me. TIA
Here you go: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794989&pagenumber=175&perpage=40#post484945067

P.S. I searched this thread for "Mario". :ssh:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Squidster posted:

Lastly, a moment's silence for the tragically truncated Oh My Fantasy Epic, killed after only a dozen pages.
Three typos/misused words over four frames? It deserved to die. :colbert:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Snackmar posted:

I'm sorry but can we talk about her hand?? Like yes, with your right arm pointing down, you could rotate counter-clockwise ~180 degrees and then clench your fingers into a claw stance and then pull your elbow up, but it appears really uncomfortable as drawn and I can't stop looking at it :psyduck:
Bend your right elbow and put the knuckles of your right hand on your waist.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i appreciate the bold text underneath it explaining the meaning of it. granted it took me nearly a decade of study to grasp the intricacies of the kanji but at least i finally regret all my flash art chinese tattoos now.
A few of those captions look like they're in Simplified Chinese--maybe added by someone else after the fact? You should still be able to get the gist if you have a good grasp of kanji.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

His strips cover modern stuff like "the app store" every now and then but maybe he overheard someone on the bus talking about it.
And he interprets it to mean a brick-and-mortar store that sells apps. God bless.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

No such thing as too much Extra Fabulous.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I just found out our local (left-leaning) paper pulled Non Sequitur after the artist slipped in a hidden anti-Trump message. Booooo

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Skwirl posted:

He slipped in the words "go gently caress yourself Trump" the f bomb is probably why it got dropped, not that it was anti-Trump.
Yeah, I understand why... but still. Wasn't it, like, backwards and upside down and curlicued and poo poo? I thought I saw it here, but the search isn't finding anything.

At least the more right-leaning local paper had already dropped Mallard Fillmore a few months back.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I discovered that my local paper replaced Non Sequitur with the new Nancy. :getin:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

This desperately needs elaboration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjaWtFep9Ac

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Scones are completely loving different, jfc :mad:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

All hail the new baby royalty!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

it's funny that she talks about the cat like it would know and be hurt by the fact that it is called grumpy cat, and that she insinuates that if your cat has a dumb name it's because you don't care about it

like, does she not know what a cat is? has she ever seen one? does she think they're all named like, steven or karen or something?
The cat's real name was Tardar Sauce.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It reminds me of Joan Cornellà's stuff. Probably the facial expressions.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Nedthefish posted:

I realize this is from forever ago but it was bothering me too. I think the song you're looking for is the intro to the show "Zoo Family".
"Animal Crackers In My Soup" is from the Shirley Temple movie Curly Top. My grandparents used to sing it to me whenever I ate animal crackers at their place. :3:

Maybe you recognize it from one of the other times it was featured: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Crackers_in_My_Soup

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

By popular demand posted:

T'ain't no sin to take off your skin.
And :skeltal: around in your bones.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

gleebster posted:

These are all good points, but think: if she had no utensils, how did she whip the cream?
She had a bowl of already-whipped cream. Nowhere does she say she had to whip it first.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Who What Now posted:

He claims to be half-japanese half-white. I have no reason to doubt this is true.
It's what the charming moniker "Hapajap" would imply. Though that's really more quarter-Hawaiian, quarter-white, half-Japanese.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Clitch posted:

Said about the guy who got dropped from a bunch of papers for scribbling "Go gently caress yourself, Drumpf" in one of his comics? The dude is like Doonesbury subtle about hating him.
Nah, that was Wiley Miller with Non Sequitur.

eta: Although Dan Piraro seems pretty left-leaning, to say the least: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Piraro

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Jul 10, 2019

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Was this the first use of "hands in the air like you just don't care"?

Word Up was released in 1986 and I can't find anything earlier.
Rock Master Scott & the Dynamic Three's The Roof Is On Fire, released in 1984, contained the lyrics "Now throw your hands in the air / And wave 'em like you just don't care".

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm more an Infocom kind of gamer. I guess that makes me :corsair:-school.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Not sure about the black-haired kid, might be adopted
Bystander wondering what the gently caress is going on

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Nice little article about/interview with Olivia Jaimes here: https://slate.com/culture/2019/10/nancy-olivia-jaimes-interview-fanfiction.html
I was pleased to see there's a book collection!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Misophonia is real, and strong, and not my friend.
:hai:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I just noticed Ronnie's :imunfunny: face in that first panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bert Roberge posted:

Are you not insehn?
Have some deSeinecy.