Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Clitch posted:

Okay.

Bring on the Moon Over June. This thread deserves it.
Aysh posts that poo poo in two separate thread, he deserves much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Pershing posted:

Anybody got that comic about pronouncing .gif correctly? The punchline is something about dying with honor.
Matt Bors.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Panfilo posted:

Basically Bee Dr. No I presume? :thejoke:
The name of the comic on the website is "Doctor Hexagon", so... yeah.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Because it's familiar and unchallenging and safe, which some people find comforting and quaint so it can sometimes gain popularity. I guess that explains why the incredibly mundane comic strip 'Fred Basset' has been running continuously for 55 years and probably won't stop anytime soon.

It's so loving mundane. :psyduck:
The morning paper over here had a vote for what comics should be on their comics page since they were revamping it. This was one of the options and people actually voted for it enough to make it in, over a bunch of much better comics. I don't remember all of the options, but Bizarro was one of the ones that didn't make it. Extremely occasionally it's got an actual joke, but... yeah.

It probably does say a bunch about the reader base though that a comic that used to be on the old comics page but didn't make it to the new was a tepid comic about old people doing old people things, that I'm pretty sure only old people actually like, and enough people were mad about it being gone that it was brought back as a special feature on a different page for a while before making it back to the actual comics page. (And really, the only reason that I subscribe to the morning paper is that I was studying journalism, and is now an unemployed journalist with a master's degree.)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Woebin posted:

Jan Romare is a Swedish national treasure IMO.
E: gently caress, was. He passed away last year :(
Aw, I didn't know about that. I always liked his comics. But then it also feels appropriate to post another one of his comics.

It's called "Himlens Änglar", meaning just "Heaven's Angels". A reoccuring theme in it is that when you die, you just turn into an angel on the spot and carry on whatever you were doing, with angels often hanging around on Earth, but not visible to humans. God and the Devil are also reoccuring characters, as well as an angel with glasses serving as God's secretary. Though, God isn't quite as common a character as these following strips might imply, it's just that most of the strips I could find included Him.

"Is that him?"

"Wake up, Lord, it's time to become omnipresent again"

"...and now if you click on that one the Red Sea will part"

"Go see what he wants"

"Oh my Lord!"
"How about playing now and talking less"

"No, it's called clearcutting"

"He was so full of antics"
"And now he just lies there"

"We'll have to bring that one down to earth"

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I guess that comic doesn't really translate to English. "Föryngringsyta" is a spin term, used by the logging industry since the Swedish word for clear cut ("kalhygge") was made politically charged by the environmental movement of the 80's. The literal meaning would be something like "rejuvenation area", I can't come up with a good English translation. The joke works so damnably well in Swedish though.

Sorry to hear he passed, he was pretty big in the dailies when I was growing up.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the translation of that one. I wasn't entirely sure about what "föryngringsyta" meant, but it seemed to just be a different word for "kalhygge", so I went from that. Wasn't aware of that history of the term, so that means I didn't even get the original joke. So it goes.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Sunswipe posted:

I read some of Lovecraft's stuff a couple of years ago just because he's become such a big thing in nerd culture. Conclusion I came to was that he had some interesting ideas but couldn't execute them very well. Herbert West - Reanimator in particular annoyed me, as it kept breaking off just as something interesting was about to happen.
Lovecraft actually didn't like how Herbert West came out himself, but had to write it that way since it was being serialized in a monthly magazine when originally published and he was required to end each chapter with a cliffhanger. He only wrote it since he was being paid five bucks per chapter and was unhappy with the whole story, so he'd agree with you there.

I did borrow and read a Lovecraft anthology from a classmate a couple years back, and I remember mostly liking it? Like, nothing I'd call among my favourite books/stories and some things were kind of uncomfortable to read these days but it still felt worth reading.

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Mar 1, 2019

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The alien comics aren't indefensibly terrible or anything, but when getting several of them in a row they start feeling like a joke that's long overstayed its welcome. It's just one core joke that's being run into the ground a little too hard.

Not that some of them aren't good anyway! "I wish to harm the melody machine" is a great line.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wasn't quite sure if I was on board but the ending sold me :3:

Is that one of the artists that did a bunch of comic backstories for gifs? I did a bit of sleuthing but wandered pretty quickly into :yikes: territory and stopped looking.
You might be thinking of KatRaccoon, who's made several of those.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Besesoth posted:

These remind me of the superior Spamusement, which... was made by one of the guys who created Untitled Goose Game? Huh.
Only published, it appears. Steven Frank, creator of Spamusement, is one of the founders of Panic Inc., who published Firewatch (made by Campo Santo) and Goose Game (made by House House). And apparently that's the same company making that handheld game console with the crank.

An amusing connection I did not expect to find out today.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

CAR CRASH CRACKERS is also posting them in the webcomics thread if you want to read them in a format that's not Instagram.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I turned 34 two weeks ago, should I have started worrying already? Am I too late?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So Mr. Boop ended, most likely for real this time.

The video finale was... certainly something.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Current Heathcliff is just pure shitposting in newspaper comic form and I love it. The Garbage Ape especially.

And then there's the Kitty Korners of these two...

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The person responsible for the Touhou Kitty Korner did reveal themselves:

https://twitter.com/wobuffet3/status/1312889070058639361

Skwirl posted:

He's living his best life.

(Her? I don't want to say a woman can't be this stoned all the time while getting a paycheck, I'm just pretty sure it's a guy writing it.)
It's a guy, Peter Gallagher. He's the nephew of Heathcliff's original author George Gatley and took over the strip in 1998.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wait, doesn't Reginald wear near-invisible gossamer pants woven by fairies? Did I just dream that?
I don't know my Nedroid lore so I can't be sure it's not the case there too, but if you've watched Adventure Time you might be mixing it up with Jake once revealing he was actually wearing invisible pants spun by pixies.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Captain Monkey posted:

Hah I’ve done that.
I recently had an interesting dream, so when I woke up, I talked about it to people on Discord.

And then I woke up again, and it turned out that I had also dreamt that I woke up and talked about my dream on Discord.

It's not the first time I've dreamt that I woke up only to later wake up again, but discussing the dream while still in a dream was a bit of a new one.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

There actually are even more of them AND YOU'LL GET TO SEE THEM AS SIMON POSTS THEM

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Mar 13, 2021

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SimonChris posted:

Aw, I was going to post them gradually...
Ooh, sorry. I'll take out the link.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Aww I thought it was a cute inclusive comic. I learned about it from this thread lol
It does seem cute, but oh boy am I not in any way a fan of the format of each page being a one panel wide but super tall image.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

You can thank the current author's daughter for that one.

https://twitter.com/precurelyrics/status/1424711605682593804

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Paladinus posted:

I don't remember that Azumanga strip.
It's from a set of bonus strips that Azuma made for the series' tenth anniversary in 2009. They were called "Supplementary Lessons", if you want to go look for the rest.

So, yes, that one's actually canon.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Tredlocity just mostly feels like inoffensive fluff to me. I don't dislike it, but I also can't bring myself to care too much about it. I'll read it as long as it gets posted but it's nothing I'd seek out on my own or miss when it ends.

Hitmen for Destiny is legitimately the currently posted comic I'm the most invested in. I know I could just go read it all on its website, but I like following along with the thread.

I also find PFSC great, in its own grey way. And I very much enjoy the Viz comics!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Buster Gonad was one of the first Viz characters I ever came across. Back in the day, we borrowed an Amiga from one of my older brother's friends, and among all the game diskettes for it was Viz: The Game. The three playable characters in that was Biffa Bacon, Buster Gonad, and Johnny Fartpants, and you played a minigame to earn bonus tokens and then ran a race. I don't think I ever played it well, but I always remembered a character looking like a Don Martin character with huge balls.

While he doesn't really look like a Don Martin character in above posted page, and it's in no way a perfect match, I'd still say he looks a little more like one in the game.

(I also very fondly remember playing Alien Breed on said borrowed Amiga. Man, that game ruled.)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

We should at least be able to agree on that Space Dread is easily the consistently best part of Tredlocity.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I don't even know why I like the bleaker ones, but I also always enjoyed Cyanide & Happiness's Depressing Comic Weeks. Black comedy is good.

I don't think I'll post any more of them, but this one felt very thread-appropriate.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Slimy Hog posted:

Is Thorsby's first language English?
No, he's Norwegian.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Anette really knows how to show a girl a good time.

Also,

same.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Geodude posted:

Can someone let me know the actual name of this comic strip? I love coming across it (at least when people translate it or explain the pun) but have no idea how to Google for more.
Fingerpori.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

You seem to have forgotten page 32 there.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Antigravitas posted:

By the way

This only gets a proper resolution about 50 in-comic years later.

I love the symmetry in those panels.
Yeah this is my favourite Don Rosa page. And one of my absolute favourite comic pages, period.

(also here's the full page in a little better quality, the one above is missing the first two panels)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Chiming in with more praise for Abbeycourt Manor here, and I absolutely hope the stage adaptation happens and gets recorded.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

BasicLich posted:

I'm posting them in order but panels have been omitted here and there to condense the storyline and to try not to take up too much space in this thread. These are from the 1991-1993 Evil Ernie trade paperback and uhh redacted from free redacted redacted imgur posts redacted etc
It's a really bad way to post a comic, just post a couple timg'd (full) pages in one post once a day or something.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So Pupkin showed up as an extremely tiny part of my dream last night. It was a really weird dream with lots of stuff going on and even ended up being one of those layered dreams in which I woke up from a dream in the dream, but anyway, at one point in the dream I found in what was supposedly my kitchen a small, like 4-5 cm tall, plastic figure of what clearly was Pupkin, though for some reason it was mainly light brown rather than orange... and also had a really long thin tail. It was undoubtedly Pupkin though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

just because this comic was created in italy for an exclusively continental european audience, that doesn't mean duckburg isn't still canonically located in california
Excuse you, it's in Calisota :colbert:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yessss, finally the continuation is here!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So Powerup Comics, Abbeycourt Manor in particular, and Thorsby's comics are great examples of great writing more than making up for "lacking" art in webcomics, even if that's deliberate in Powerup's case.

Which got me thinking, what's some good examples of the opposite? Webcomics with fantastic, gorgeous art, but really bad writing? And thinking specifically webcomics here, not published print comics.

Mostly thinking bad as in bland, boring, uninspired here, not offensive or stupid. Sinfest half comes to mind with having good art, but while the writing these days can't be called good in any sense of the word, it's head up its own rear end insane and TERFy, not really bland. If it can be made fun of for how stupid it is, I would not consider it bland.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Questionable Content most certainly does not have gorgeous art.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Philippe posted:

No, but it is dull as poo poo. I dare you to care about any of these early-00s-style wacky robot waifus.
Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. But I was specifically asking about webcomics with dull writing and amazing art in this case. The anti-Thorsby.

Webcomics that are just dull but with at least decently functional art I'm sure there's a lot of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The adventures of Space Dread and miss "I can and will gently caress my way in or out of any situation" (that I forgot the name of) is easily the best part of Tredlocity so far. She's such a good foil to Dread (who already was the best part of Tredlocity).

Also loving lmao at that Ethics panel in the latest batch of Abbeycourt Manor. How can a comic be so good?