Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

The moral of the story here is that, if you're unhappy you should go on killer sprees
Yes, that's the point of that comic. To teach a moral lesson about how murder is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

It's me, I'm the curmudgeon that thinks it's not really funny and her preschooler sucks and should feel bad.

:colbert:
Counterpoint: Say "Seven mighty fire trucks and seven mighty hoses" out loud a few times.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Das Boo posted:

If you say it loud enough, you'll always sound precocious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

loving hell those shoes are huge.
They're like the Marmaduke of shoes. Just an inherently funny idea.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gleebster posted:

No, it's lazy crap.
:thejoke:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nobody has said what "MM&O" is in like 50 pages and I'm still waiting for a context that never comes

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HPanda posted:

It’s the comic “Massively Multiplayer & Online” which is a 2000’s era comic about two dysfunctional friends who play Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, etc. and shows what MMO players be like. It was never funny unless you played the games, and then was only somewhat chuckle worthy. It also usually requires a huge write up explaining the joke, and was later revealed to just be the two creator’s fantasized versions of themselves.
Thank you.

umalt posted:

The context is, FAU, that you should ban these intellectual perverts for enjoying a bad comic.

Just kidding! You should mute them, because muting people always works on the internet!
I have no dog in this fight and didn't come to the thread because of it, I just kept waiting patiently for someone, anyone, to use the title of the comic. But the future refused to change...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

oh yeah, how could I forget?

And this is something people enjoy?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

well of course it's lamer out of context, you need to give it until about the 5th major story arc until everything really clicks into place
What's the story context that makes that funnier?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nurge posted:

I'm going to spoil everyone's fun here. The comic is actually Megg Mogg and Owl.

example:

Thank you, this actually does make the other comic funnier.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

:argh:

well at least it saves me from writing the rest of this post where I try to come up with a justification for why it's funny that's somehow even less funny and sends FAU and Danaru down a mental spiral of "how do so many nerds care enough about this to argue about it for pages every time it comes up?"

e: I have to point out that there was no communication or coordination between us, as far as I can tell three of us independently and simultaneously posted "It's Massively Multiplayer & Online!"
I could show you around 200 early 2000s webcomics that would not only look and read exactly like the one linked, but good odds at least one will be called Massively Multiplayer and Online.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

The major issue is we both eat frozen food, but American frozen food is better and they're loving jealous of it so they pretend no eats it in Europe.
Stouffer's swedish meatballs are some good poo poo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

System Metternich posted:

So, this discussing of old but inexplicably still-running webcomics made me take a look at Sinfest, and, uh... :yikes:
Yeah it's famously insane

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I hate that I still recognize Sluggy by sight. Don't think I've kept up with it for more than a decade now.
I love that I still recognize it. I'm not even sure Abrams knows what year it is. He appears completely disconnected from the world.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, with zero context this is kind of darkly funny (I've never read this comic). He apparently hates his own daughter so much that when faced with two of them he immediately pulls the trigger?
Way back when QC was fairly new, just a couple years old, it got a bunch of attention for revealing that character's father had killed himself, and that's one of the reasons she had trouble forming relationships. In a better comic that had done more character work and earned it it would have been a good moment, and the fans liked it well enough and it was handled better than Loss or some poo poo. QC also regularly ran guest comics. That one was by the author of Dr. McNinja. Fans didn't appreciate it so much. It stayed up for a surprisingly long time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seldom Posts posted:

Was is just a fever dream or did Dr. McNinja have a guest comic where time travellers killed Hitler and then giant hasidic jewish people destroyed the world? I seem to recall both Hastings and the guest artist being suprised that it would be considered anti-Semitic and had to be convinced to take it down.
This was real. It was supposed to be an absurdist joke about the idea that Hitler thought he was somehow saving Germany and the world from Jewish people, and it might have worked if anti-Semitism wasn't a real and persistent problem.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArtIsResistance posted:

How do I disable signatures l m a o
User control panel, there's an option. I've had them off for years.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

9/11 is the day fire fighters piss in the street. Even dogs must respect this hierarchy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

First game with multiplayer-specific maps and built with multiplayer in mind from the outset. Also I think they were the first to do IP-based multiplayer? Or to use client/server architecture? I don't really remember but yeah either way it's probably not what the comic meant for "First multiplayer"

I'd argue it's the first one to really make MP a thing. Kind of how Doom wasn't the first FPS but it's inarguably the grandfather of the genre, Quake wasn't the first online MP game but it made online MP what it is today
Quake's more important for its control innovations, since IIRC it's more-or-less responsible for changing things from DOOM-style keyboard to KB+M. But that would have happened inevitably anyway.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

yeah, but part of that was people realizing how much better it makes you multiplayer, without the competitive push that might not have happened. It wasn't part of the default controls.
Oh I thought it was. I just realized I don't think I've ever played the first Quake, just Quake 2 and the original DOOM and Unreal

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nitrox posted:

If you not a moderator, you not embedding poo poo
I don't even know if admins can do that anymore. I never tried it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Whybird posted:

I mean, I hate to go to bat for this guy but the underlying message of "bullying ruins childrens' lives and gives them scars that might not ever go away, and it's kinda hosed up ten years later to pretend that you were actually friends and you didn't make someone's life a misery for your own amusement" is a correct and important one.

I just really, really wish he wasn't delivering it like a self-righteous rear end in a top hat.
The part that makes it sad, truly sad, is that he likely drew the comic because it never happened in real life. Not the bullying part, I believe that, but the friend request part. It's a fantasy about pushing back against your tormentors, and the fantasy itself is incredibly banal. I think that makes it relatable but also hard to read because there is no self-awareness there. He doesn't get the small tragedy of the situation.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

duck trucker posted:

Dobson is frustrating cause his art style isn't terrible just incredibly bland and if he put any amount of effort at improving it would probably do wonders. But he won't.

But then his jokes would still suck rear end.
He appears to live in a world in which internet art didn't progress past 1998.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I love that he seems to be an animation pedant and then he’s mad that the muscle man doesn’t want to watch my little pony. A show for children and adult men who want to have sex with horsies.
This is unfair. Some of them want to gently caress children, and the horses are a stand-in.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

beanieson posted:

Man Oglaf really sucks sometimes.
I remember it getting posted here like a decade ago when the first Oglaf comic (the spider one) went up. I think it's just gone on way too long.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Wow," said Garfield. "I didn't think anyone would be able to eat more sperm than me, the large cat Garfield, but you did it Kirby."

Harry Potter hung his head in shame. He had eaten very little sperm.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The literary world is weird. It's amazing what gets published.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Can anyone read that signature? I saw this posted on some random Facebook page and would like to find the source.
W. McFluid

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In the quoted Moon Over June comic, the character is having an orgasm. The implication in the second comment being that Calvin is also having an orgasm, as a joke re: Moon Over June.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

Oh I'm just dumb.
You're good, you just didn't have the context

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But that's not how... it's in the name... I.... :sigh:
They have to use depleted uranium because that's how uranium dies and goes to heaven. However, once in heaven it is revived to its full might by God.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Honestly, these are all just over explaining the joke. Just post the funny gif without the preamble.
What do you do when your comic is bad?
Instead of laughing it just makes you sad?

I don't like the look of it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yoshi Wins posted:

I really think Wonka went overboard for killing a girl for chewing gum. C’mon, bruh, that’s almost exactly the same thing as sucking on an everlasting gobstopper.

Killing fat German kids is ok though.
She didn't die, they just squeezed the juice out. This is canon.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Read Charlie and the Great Glads Elevator if you want a deep dive into the horrors of Dahl's mind.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The Great Glands Elevator, you say?
Listen, some people's balls don't drop on their own. Don't shame.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The aliens who spell SCRAM in an elevator
The Vermicious Knids! They even got referenced in the old Gene Wilder movie.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Wikipedia summary leaves out the most disturbing detail. Read the book and discover it for yourself!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

Mind posting it? Because I’m probably not gonna bother reading it!
I do mind. Read a drat book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shai-Hulud posted:

Found this in an old version of the thread were someone asked for it and someone else found it in an even older version of the thread.

I really miss Bear and Kitten