Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Captain Hygiene posted:

How do you pronounce "ciocie cioelle" in a particular way?

C-O-C-A C-O-L-A :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Ray honestly beating anybody misses the whole point. Ray's strong, but he can't fight. He needs Beef to set up the dominoes for him every single step of the way, including Ray turning Cody's posse into cowboy sauce. Ray's remark is crass, and very representative of broader issues with Achewood as a body of work (like Onstad's extremely racist Asian caricatures), but there's no way in hell Ray is taking Rudy Cava down in a straight fight. Not now, not ever.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Fagtastic posted:

Hard disagree. He starts our cheating his way into it, then beef helps him cheap shot some guys, and you figure that's how it's going to go. But then he takes out Cody Travis without beefs help, and while beef sets him up for it, he legitimately turned all of Cody Travis's army into cowboy sauce. he's about to continue the badass streak too, specifically AGAINST beefs advice. Ray turning out to be a secret badass is very much part of the joy of the GOF, what with Teodor and the guys back at the house voicing the same suprise and pleasure at the unexpected victories while working on his yeast infection.

And if it wasn't for Beef calming him down Ray would've gone straight fugue and had his rear end handed to him and ended up spoken in the same breath as Fauntelroy Brown. Ray is a bitchy-bitch bitch-bitch to his flabby core and Beef is the genius behind the victory... but Beef can't fight worth a drat, and he knows that.

Fagtastic posted:

Also it's this

Ray and Beef won the GOF. Neither one of them could have done this without the other. Ray IS the rich failson that amiably breezes through life, but this isn't his victory, it's Roast Beef's. He was the mastermind of the whole operation from day zero, and if it wasn't for Ray's love he would've gotten beaten down like a dirty mule. They are the first ever winners of the Great Outdoor Fight and their every move is the new tradition. This is like Cameron being the real protagonist, not Ferris.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Achewood is so influential it now has two threads on the forums discussing it nearly six years after its final update. Truly the Ulysses of the webcomic era

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

e-dt posted:

razed to the ground and salted!

I still remember, so clearly, sitting in my freshman high school homeroom class, using the computer, checking Achewood, and thinking this was one of the most badass things I had ever seen.

2006 was Achewood's best year.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

And here we have the single best one-off Achewood strip in the entire run, and the start of another knockout classic Achewood plot. 2006 was a REALLY good year for Achewood. I say "The End! No Moral!" daily.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Demon is pretty good and I'm glad it's being posted here but the power creep gets craaaaazy high later. poo poo gets goofy.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

What's the point of accumulating orgone besides jizzing?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

FOA is very interesting to me because it's the current "apex" of KC Green's work. HIAGB was his magnum opus, I guess I'd say, and I don't want to describe FOA as either a letdown in comparison, nor do I want to call it a "return to form". It's an accumulation of so much of his previous work, from Horribleville to Gunshow to F-Off and HIAGB. Funny Online Animals is KC Green.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I read all of Pinocchio in one go after watching the del Toro movie and man is 19th century kid's lit weird as hell.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Ditocoaf posted:

All that adds up to a comic that feels like an amalgamation of his career so far, bits and pieces from almost everything he's done, but chosen for their ability to cohere into a single thing really naturally. I can't say it's my favorite thing he's done, but it's really interesting, and it has a really good batting average.

This is exactly what I was trying to say. It's like you can only truly enjoy FOA if you've been a fan of KC since the dickbutt days and I don't know if that's what he even wants it to be.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Having Question Hound be the overbearing boss of the rest of the cast isn't very subtle, no.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

thetoughestbean posted:

Sorry for writing too many words about this bad comic, I just thought how it was mediocre was interesting

The name of the comic is "SLARPG Prologue", because it is a prologue comic for the video game Super Lesbian Animal RPG. I don't know anything about this game other than everything contained within its title and the fact that it exists but the reason it didn't hit for you is probably because you haven't played the game, the actual medium for connecting with these characters. The comic is probably a bonus for dedicated fans to know about what happens immediately before the game begins and posting it in this thread devoid of its context is doing it a disservice I suppose.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Mx. posted:

HELL, FL. #30

Simon Hanselmann but make it 25% more furry

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

It also got into an official Garfield cartoon

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

vyelkin posted:

This comic in particular reminded me to once again recommend Kate Beaton's Ducks to anyone itt who hasn't read it yet, because this specific comic is definitely an early version of parts of her memoir and it's excellent.

Strongly seconding Ducks for what it's worth. Amazing autobio and astonishingly sad. I would like to trigger warning for sexual assault themes before anybody runs down to Barnes & Noble for it.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

So who wants to post He Is A Good Boy? I might do it myself if nobody else wanted the privilege...

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

if you want to post He is a Good Boy go for it, it's not my favorite. it has some good pages but overall it's too weird for me and doesnt feel as planned out and well written as BACK.

Excellent, HiaGB is probably my favorite webcomic of all time as a matter of fact specifically because it is weird and kind of sporadic! So I might as well not waste any time and get started showing you all that

HE IS A GOOD BOY.
TW for suicide

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

After realizing just how much drat work KC was doing with these three masterpiece comics, I really don't mind if he's cashing out-calling it in when it comes to FOA.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

If I can find drop out I'll take up the posting of it I guess. So long as I don't have to navigate a lovely Twitter or tumblr timeline.

Here it is, right at the exact point the thread left off: https://drop-out.webcomic.ws/comics/33

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

My soft spot for old left-wing hypocrites grows weaker with every page of Opplopolis posted.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

HE IS A GOOD BOY.

Youremother has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Jan 11, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

the holy poopacy posted:

She says "the second word of the letterhead", which I assume refers to the words curved over the top of the symbol at the top of the page--there's a distinct gap in the middle and the second group is 9 characters with a repeated symbol that lines up with the Es in Marvedyne.

I think she's just taking a blind stab and is almost certainly incorrect, though, since that would assign symbols to A and E that are impossibly rare in the rest of the message.

I'm trying to crack this because codebreaking is something I genuinely love to do and I can say to start with there's more than 26 symbols total. The letterhead has symbols that don't appear anywhere in the body of the text. Here's my transcription of the first three lines into Latin letters, though, in case better codebreakers want to crack it:

quote:

ABCDEFGHIJK LCKGLMKBNO JPMOQRMSTANTAENQNNASFTACNSNKV LGOWLSWWGXAPLYZGOLMII, UNNK

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I keep forgetting Opplopolis is a modern webcomic and not a translated vintage French comic series from the early 2000s or something.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Cobbler's children have no shoes or some poo poo I guess

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Loving the subtle SA shoutout here

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The ending is harrowing and had me crying and snotting all over the place.

If anybody who is reading this thread is sensitive to suicide themes and doesn't want to keep reading this comic without knowing who lives or dies, here is convenient and brief spoiler: Nobody ends up dying

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

HE IS A GOOD BOY.

Youremother has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Jan 11, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Ditocoaf posted:

Youremother, would you consider linking your previous posts for HIAGB? I've already read it before, but it's easy to miss posts in this thread when trying to keep up with it, I often see an update to something I'm reading and click that quote link once or twice when I realize I missed something, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Just went back and fixed 'em all :thumbsup:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

HE IS A GOOD BOY.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I don't want to spoiler too much, but trust me, God and Satan arguing over Crange's eternal soul is very small potatoes in the scale of this strip.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Also, since we were talking about KC Green's history as a comic artist, the 10th anniversary of This Is Fine passed recently and and KC penned a few thoughts about it on his tumblr.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

HE IS A GOOD BOY.
TW for blood

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Noble Peasant owns.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

MokBa posted:

The cheek of that! Haha a cane is going to pull me offstage for that joke.

Oh, so when George Cruikshank makes this he's lauded as one of the premier political satirists of his time, but when I fart on a picture of the King they say it's treason!?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

HE IS A GOOD BOY.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Crange is a mostly neutral things boy.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I am crazy for these Future Shocks. I love vintage British comics and all of these have been really short and sweet sci-fi exercises in brevity. Like the American Werewolf in Space one you described as "a dumb joke lengthened to three pages" but I felt like it had the exactly perfect length to tell a complete story, complete with punchline.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I would love to see Mr. Boop posted here but I doubt that's going to happen since it is inherently a comic about having sex with cartoon characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Yeah, Alec Robbins is a horny motherfucker so I'm not surprised