Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Wasn't there a BYOB thread about the concept of paying someone to beat you up? Or was it FYAD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

No, it was a girlfriend he lived with for a while. They broke up after he ruined Hanukkah at her parents' house by having a hissy fit about how he was sad it wasn't Christmas.

This is impressive man-babying even by the relevant standards. Hot drat.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

PYF Comics: a high chance she had sex in the back of her dad

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Also look at how delighted Thomas is. Hot drat!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Amputation Dog Lick Ohio is my favorite Guided by Voices track

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I hate to agree with Screaming Idiot even tangentially, but yeah, I often find Whomp! uncomfortable to read. It can be very funny, and Ronnie Filyaw is clearly talented, but I feel like it frequently zooms past the "self-deprecating humor" zone and into "watching a guy self-harm in webcomic form."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Is he still doing the recurring bit where Santa Claus is his estranged/deadbeat dad? That was a weird bit, but it was some badly-needed whimsy.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

bony tony posted:

It's called the Isosceles Lock.

I didn't know the guys from ABBA were Calvin and Hobbes fans!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Emzedoh posted:

Bit of an anti-climax there, huh. Or are still building tension?

The latter is probably closer, although it's hard to map Beanworld in a tension/climax story model, really? But the status quo will continue to change with each story arc, sometimes subtly and sometimes radically, but always at least a little.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Mr. Spook's conceptualization skill is exceptionally low.

He's a mythological culture hero, so some kind of psychological or metaphysical flaw was going to come along eventually. "Doesn't understand visual art" is getting off pretty easy as these things go!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I read "Dog Names" a few months ago, and what I mostly got out of it was the idea that a search for meaning and narrative in people's lives can be a trap. You've got all these groups trying to find some kind of explanation for Milo's actions, all based in their own paradigm, because it has to mean something, right? People don't do things like that just... because. But there doesn't actually seem to be any meaning there, any story besides Milo committing a hideous and unspeakable act just on lovely teen impulse, and it's just kind of... a thing that happened that has to be lived with. There's nothing that will make the puzzle pieces fit together, because there's no puzzle, but nobody can let go because you can't just shrug and say "that happened" to dismembering a corpse, you know?

Anyway, I hate the art style so I'm not going to keep reading, laterz

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I get it, but it doesn't make me want to read it

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

Previously on Tales of the Beanworld, the Goofy Survery Jerks reported the crime of the Goofy Service Jerks to the Goofy Sermon Jerk.

One of my favorite low-key gags in Beanworld is how "goofy jerks" starts as Dreamishness's insult, and the reader assumes Beanish hearing it and thinking it's a name is going to cause some huge misunderstanding later, but no, the administrators of the universe actually are just called the Goofy Something Jerks even though many of them are friendly and competent. That's just how the Big Big Picture rolls.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

holy poo poo is he actually part hoi polloi rofl

IIRC Larry Marder has stated that he's not supposed to be the product of Hoi-Polloi reproductive propellant, so he's probably not literally half-HP, but there's obviously something going on there.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Would you be interested in commenting further on the idea of a male brain? Male and female minds are, well, BIOTRUTHS Ground Zero, and it'd be interesting to see what the actual science is.

Chiming in as another former biology major: the above poster may have more to say, but my understanding is that there are some morphological differences between male and female brains, but a) these differences are on massively overlapping bell curves, as mentioned, and b) the degree to which this actually affects cognitive capacities and behaviors is wildly overstated by biotruth types. (Also, iirc, it doesn't have much if anything to do with an individual's gender identity? Trans people don't consistently have brains more congruent with their identity vs. birth gender, at least not enough that any of the ideas about "give someone an MRI to see if they're REALLY trans" ideas some kooks have make any sense.)

Antivehicular has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Jul 21, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I'm really enjoying Zhuangzi Speaks, and the art style is really charming. I was vaguely tempted to snag the long-snouted "inauspicious" pig for an avatar.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Emzedoh posted:

gently caress kings imo

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Extremely relatable reaction to someone trying to break a $100 bill on an $8 purchase

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

Previously on Tales of the Beanworld, Beanish went to spy on the Hoi-Polloi ringing a sprout-butt. Again.

I'd forgotten how much talking the sprout-butts do in this part of the story! It makes it really clear how different a cycle where Gran'ma'pa was fully verbal would be, and in turn just how far this cycle has deviated from the healthy average / why everyone in the rest of the Big Big Picture is constantly freaking out about what's going on over there.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Really enjoying proto-Mr. Spook's Strong Bad phase here

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I'm guessing Q-Rais is doing something with grief and guilt again, given that we have the protagonist bearoid encounter several reminders of death (the sidewalk memorial, the movie on TV) and then be haunted by the ghosts of those dead figures in sleep, as well as the ghosts of the naruto they're processing at work. (I'm not clear if the naruto are even alive in the first place, but it wouldn't exactly break the tone.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

stay safe burnout hamster