Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Well, if we're sharing things from our favourite manga as well, I've got to post this sequence from Arawi Keiichi's Nichijou:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

catgirlgenius posted:

that reminds me of this one comic that i have been trying to find again for years. it was called "Spring-loaded" or something like that. i think one of the main characters had a prosthetic setup in their legs, and the other main character definitely was some kind of half-squirrel girl. i think the first chapter involved stealing bread and hiding in a cart of fruit or something?

i always wondered what happened to it. maybe the webcomic hosting service it was on just went down and the comic was never put back up. i wanted to see more of that artstyle.

Kiwi Blitz had a protagonist with a prosthetic leg and a semi-antagonist who dressed as a raccoon, is that ringing any bells?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Oh man, Cat and Girl. I remember procrastinating in university reading through those archives - it's not exactly laugh out loud funny and in fact it's often a bit of a downer, but I just kept clicking that next comic button even though I should have been finishing the essay due that afternoon.

I went back for a look and picked out a couple I remember from those days.

"When men were men and women died in childbirth", oh boy.

I remember this one moved me a fair bit.

Hey, no one's posted this character yet: meet Bad Decision Dinosaur.

This one got a nasty laugh out of me.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Are still posting our favourite fight scenes? This one's from Battle Angel Alita: Last Order. The series gets a lot of stick for being something like 80% tournament arc by weight, but I've always loved it for its perfectly executed choreography (is that the right word to use for a comic), its refreshingly un-parochial attitude towards its inspirations, and its unabashed excess of both drama and silliness.

Here we have an encounter between a transman battle android who seeks to define himself through violence and a cyborg activist/master martial artist who raises and protects children in a society where everyone is immortal (if they can afford it), whose power structures persist solely on the strength of two fears: runaway nanotechnology and the next generation.

I'm going to leave out the end of this fight, but I just have to post something from a bit later, when the actual main protagonist of the manga shows up:

How's that for a fight scene?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Samovar posted:

If I'm going to be honest, I have no clue what the hell is happening for the unarmed fighter to be beating the other one. This seems utterly disorganized to me.

I mean, the other one is better, but I also find the people commentating on it to be breaking up the flow of what is happening to be quite obnoxious.

I mean, fair play if it doesn't make sense to you - something like this should speak for itself. Having said that, I thought Qu's (the woman in the bandana) style was interesting: she's not big on punches and kicks, but she's able to parry everything Sechs (one eyed guy, shut up it's German for six) tries to throw at her and redirect it into pain for him. In fact, that's kind of the whole thing about the fight: Sechs is impetuous, hyperaggressive and usually wins his fights on speed and strength, but here against a true master, he's just running into a brick wall again and again. He makes a play would splatter an ordinary person, she reads his timing and puts her hands and feet in such a way to redirect all that power right back into him, classic kung fu bullshit. She uses his strength and speed against him, he's honestly beating himself up.

I feel like the interesting thing is that you can see this in how the panels are set up. Sechs leaps into the attack, faster than the eye can see, and in the very next panel he's stopped dead, having eaten like 6 counterattacks. I imagine it's kind of how it would seem to an actual observer.

Let's look at this sequence again: people are questioning the arrow situation. Fair warning, I don't know poo poo about martial arts, this is just how I read it!

Qu drops a badass one liner, Sechs is doing his spinny bullshit that no one can normally get past. Qu strolls past it, puts a boot on his chest. Sechs immediately goes for a counterattack, so fast we can't even see it. Qu braces...

... and yanks his head against the force of his attack while neutralising the rest with the aforementioned boot. Sechs has another go because he's Sechs, Qu parries and redirects his blow to spin him around while taking some shots at various targets of opportunity.

I don't know, it all feels detailed and technical to my untrained eye. The artist pays attention to hand and footwork, I really don't think it looks like they're flailing. What do you guys think?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

My issue with parsing this scene, even with your explanations, is that the angles are all over the place and I can never quite see how one panel leads into the next. Consider in the first page the big panel (3) into the first of the three smaller ones (4). She's standing below him and he's spinning wildly. How does that lead into her boot landing on his chest? She's super far away, and he's in supposedly quick motion. Then (5) the "camera" shows her from below. But she's underneath him! And what's the blurred thing with the arrow? Is that supposed to be his knee? Impossible to tell. Then (6) we have a boot land on a surface that's slanted down, but in (3) we have the only possible surface shown angled far up. And they're both wearing quite similar boots. It might as well be his.

Second page, the weapon smashes down into the ground. But it was in the ground before, so I guess it is supposed to have flipped around completely? But why? Her boot landing on it should only have driven it deeper into the ground. The viewpoint has flipped 180° from panel (3) in the first page, so it's even more confusing. Finally, from panel (5) to (6) in this second page, she moves besides, then behind Sechs. How? They're on an extremely narrow surface! None of these motions make sense to me from how the "arena" is set up, and the perspective changing all the time doesn't help me whatsoever.

Also, consider again, she's next to the guy and behind his shoulder in (5). But the first insert in (6) is her hitting his throat from the front - with her left hand? How does that flow into her moving around and behind him, starting from the side?

What can I say? I like it, I think it's stylish and I didn't have any trouble parsing it - though, I read this so long ago and I've reread this so many times, who's to say?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I know none of you meant any judgement, it's just a bit tough to be told one of your favourite things is crap actually.

Just how it is, I might see if I can find something else I like that people also like tomorrow.

I'm going to sleep now, good night!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Ok so I can't find any proof for this but I swear I read somewhere once - cartoon submissions to the New Yorker can actually be declined for being too funny. The way it was explained to me was that since the New Yorker is a magazine of such sophistication, a cartoon that actually makes you laugh out loud would be considered uncouth and out of place. What is desired instead is a cartoon that makes one smile in amusement, and only after a moment's thought - no more.

I'm nearly certain this is true, even though I can't find anything to back it up. This is my favourite New Yorker Cartoon, anyway.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hey, I found another one.

This one seems like a bit of a rough chuckle for a New Yorker cartoon, though.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Well, since people seem to be enjoying Otoyomegatari, here's something else by Kaoru Mori, a short 8 page oneshot:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Mr. Sunshine posted:

drat. Maybe it's because I got a kid about that age, but that was hella cute.

Isn't it just? I especially liked the earnest bow on page 2.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

And now for something completely different.

I've been wanting to post about this for a while: it's The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier (Ryuu to Yuusha to Haitatsunin), a comedy by certified history freak Gregorius Yamada. There's kind of a lot going on in this manga, but the thing I want to draw attention to is the riff it makes on the current fad for game-like fantasy worlds - you know the ones, with levels and skills and classes and things. DHC has all those things too - but they're all done completely manually. Experience points aren't gained automatically - there's a guy whose job it is to follow you around and write down what you've done. There's a combat log - it's that same guy doing a running commentary on how the fight goes. Apparently, he can tell how much damage you do just by looking. There's battle music - a troupe of bards who attempt to play the appropriate theme depending on the progress of the battle. On top of that, these people aren't just brainless npcs, they're working stiffs just trying to get by and we mainly see the story from their perspective. Finally, instead of the setting largely being based on the usual fantasy mishmash, DHC has a medieval vibe that is, if not capital A Accurate (I mean, there's dragons and elves and things), at least has a lower case t true verisimilitude to it.

Anyway, I'm starting us off on chapter 2 because that's when the aforementioned vibes really kick in.

And here's our main character, a half-elf from the countryside come to the big city.

Here's another touch I like, most characters have epithets (the Tempest, of Flurries, the Anus Smasher) instead of last names.

I guess it's worth mentioning at this point that the author hasn't really bothered to file off all the serial numbers on the religion of this setting? It's never mentioned explicitly, but most of the characters seem to be Christians - they talk about saints and feast days and the holy trinity. At one point, a costumed mascot show (shutup) gets busted up by the Inquisition on suspicion of idolatry. The mascot show deploys a former monk to debate the inquisitors and they actually cite (as far I can tell) real theological sources and rulings.

Bonus pages:

(In case you were wondering about the curry from earlier on)

So that's the Dragon, the Hero and the Courier. It's a little crude in places, but I'm quite fond of it. Would people like to see more? Whole chapters or part chapters? I don't want to punish people's scroll bars too much.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Philippe posted:

I'd love to see more of this! The concept is pretty interesting and I bet it goes in neat directions.

Glad you enjoyed it! I'll post another chapter tomorrow.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Splicer posted:

I'd like to see the ones you skipped

You know what, I'll post that one now and maybe do chapter 3 tomorrow.

Here we go:

Man, that monk is one hell (heaven?) of a haggler.

"You only live once", hah.

I really like these little cut-ins of medieval style marginalia art. Anyway, that's chapter one! What we learned:
1) Yoshida is stubborn as gently caress.
2) Wizards have no sense of right from wrong, but can be appeased by blood sacrifices.
3) Bureaucracy conquers all.

It's not a bad chapter, but you can see why I started with number 2, right? This one doesn't seem as unique - but then, maybe that's what the editor had in mind.

Bonus pages:

Edited for verticality.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

would it be possible to not post six hundred million pages at one time? people are more likely to read it if they've only gotta un-timg like 5-10 pages in one go

That's fair. I wanted to get that one out of the way, but I was thinking I'd chunk future chapters, even if it's a little awkward to break up a chapter that's meant to be read in one go. What's a good number of pages per post? 10? 15?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

Like 4- 8 with 8 being max.

10, and that's my final offer.

Jokes aside, most of these chapters are between 20 to 30 pages long, with some going up to 40. I don't know if I'm patient enough to post them in single digit amounts, but then, I've always had a binge reader's disposition.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Raluek posted:

same. i thought doing the chapter all in one go was fine, but i am not exactly a regular around here

Binge reading hi five o/

I'll probably break future chapters into halves or thirds in future, though.

Now I'm going to bed.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Chapter 3: The Paper, the Knife and the Messenger (part one)

Breaking this one in half. I thought about writing a cheesy tune in next message but :effort:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

This one's me and puzzle games.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

My head hurts, I went to a restaurant a week earlier than I was supposed to, I missed the other guy who also had the wrong date and almost got into an car accident on the way back. So, here's two comics I've had saved for a while from Crawdads Welcome.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Chapter 3: The Paper, the Knife and the Messenger (part one)

Chapter 3: The Paper, the Knife and the Messenger (part 1b)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

CheeseThief posted:

I've read all of these before but I love the series.

Particularly when the author starts going into nitty gritty detail about medieval life, dude is a genuine history buff.

If I could just find the photo of him dressed up as knight templar... Google has been no help at all.

Edit: This is all I could find.

Smart kids don't wear padding, mail and woollen capes in Japanese summers.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Jul 16, 2022

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I just want to say that "For Lacan, the circus is always in town" is an amazing burn and I want to use it in real life some day.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Chapter 3: The Paper, the Knife and the Messenger (part 1b)

Chapter 3: The Paper, the Knife and the Messenger (part 1bi)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

thread is too anime for my tastes so to redress the balance it's time for forming by jesse moynihan.

read it here, buy it here, or simply wait for the posts to be regurgitated into your eager, gaping maw like a lazy, baby bird

basically it's gamesmaster anthony does creation myths. that is all the summary i will provide, thank you.

1-3

pleasant giraffe

Forming is real good!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Chapter 3: The Paper, the Knife and the Messenger (part 1bi)

Chapter 3: The Paper, the Knife and the Messenger (part 2)

You know guys, I'm not sure this will be an entirely healthy relationship. Bonus pages next time. Why are there so many bonus pages?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

This one made me smile. Are these all from the New Yorker or just in the style of it? Some of them are er, raunchier than I would have expected for that.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

These are in the style of. The ones actually published in the New Yorker as less funny

I don't know, I liked this one.

Had to be fast with the right click though, haven't reupped my New Yorker sub in years.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Chapter 3: The Paper, the Knife and the Messenger (part 2)

You know guys, I'm not sure this will be an entirely healthy relationship. Bonus pages next time. Why are there so many bonus pages?

Chapter 3: The Paper, the Knife and the Messenger (part 2b)
Time to get educated on medieval European stationary, goons.

You know, after this reading this chapter I did a quick google on parchment and it seems that in the whole of the USA, there's only one guy who still makes parchment - and he had to teach himself how to do it as a last ditch effort to save his family tannery. It's funny, I thought there'd still be a demand for it. I don't know what happens in America, but I distinctly remember looking at my undergraduate degree and noticing it was made of goatskin parchment.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Philippe posted:

Paper-related: The word "palimpsest" refers to a piece of parchment that's been written on and scraped off several times. Reading and interpreting the scraped-off parts (that have seeped into the parchment, like the comic said) is a kind of studying history, because a lot of history is studying what people have thrown away!

I didn't know that, that's cool!

Anyway, here's something completely different - just a quick break from The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier, it's Takemitsu Zamurai (Bamboo Sword Samurai) by Taiyo Matsumoto.

The main story is about a masterless Samurai trying to muddle through life while people keep trying to kill him, but that's not important. What I'm about to post is a bonus chapter from the end of the first volume following two side characters, there isn't much need for further context.

More tomorrow. I'm very interested to see what people make of this art style.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

I didn't know that, that's cool!

Anyway, here's something completely different - just a quick break from The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier, it's Takemitsu Zamurai (Bamboo Sword Samurai) by Taiyo Matsumoto.

The main story is about a masterless Samurai trying to muddle through life while people keep trying to kill him, but that's not important. What I'm about to post is a bonus chapter from the end of the first volume following two side characters, there isn't much need for further context.

More tomorrow. I'm very interested to see what people make of this art style.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

I love this art style, but I'm not sure why. I guess it feels like watching film- all that exaggerated perspective means I can almost hear the "camera" whooshing as it sweeps from shot to shot.
The colour panels are way better than the b&w though.

Hey, that's an angle I hadn't thought of - I think I like it because how well he conveys emotion and character with such little detail, so few lines. I suspect this counts as expressionist or something, but my art world knowledge is minimal. Mental ruffian that I am, all I can think about Terry Pratchett's line about the white horse chalk carving: "’Taint what a horse looks like," said Tiffany. "It’s what a horse be."

What's funny is that there are all these things I feel I should hate about it - the squiggly lines, the asymmetry, the general first-draft air, the way it dips into grotesqueness occasionally, but it all seems to hold together and work.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 10:47 on Jul 19, 2022

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I really like this page. Pretty wild how he goes from "Hey, you're being rude" to :killing: basically instantly, though.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The art style feels like a mix of traditional Japanese art and caricature. (Which kinda have a lot in common- not letting technical accuracy get in the way of style, and expressions either understated or over-the-top) And stuff like the drawings of the town and the bridge show the artist absolutely can do realism and detail, but only employs them when they want to.

That seems like a good way to put it.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

...is that a Guernica horse?

There's a fair amount of floating eye action in this comic, yeah. I wondered about mentioning the Picasso vibe earlier, but chickened out for fear of sounding pretentious.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.boredpanda.com/comics-shark-skin-smooth-rough-people-correct/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

I was wondering when you were going to get to that one.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

The comic kinda looks like Tatami Galaxy or The Night is Short, Walk On, Girl, animated works by the studio Science Saru

You might be interested to know that the director of those two anime, Masaaki Yuasa, also directed an adaption of the author of Takemitsu Zamurai's other big work, Ping Pong. I recommend it!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Preaching to the choir, I see!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

I really like this page. Pretty wild how he goes from "Hey, you're being rude" to :killing: basically instantly, though.

Final update.

I don't have anything profound to say about this chapter - I just like how it progresses from "this guy is a bit of a doofus" to "hey, good on you mate" to "oh poo poo".

I don't know about you guys though, but I doubt my boss would kill like 4 dudes in the street for me, no questions asked. I should bring it up at the next union meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Chapter 3: The Paper, the Knife and the Messenger (part 2b)
Time to get educated on medieval European stationary, goons.

You know, after this reading this chapter I did a quick google on parchment and it seems that in the whole of the USA, there's only one guy who still makes parchment - and he had to teach himself how to do it as a last ditch effort to save his family tannery. It's funny, I thought there'd still be a demand for it. I don't know what happens in America, but I distinctly remember looking at my undergraduate degree and noticing it was made of goatskin parchment.

Chapter 4: The Hunt, the Monsters and the Warden