Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

EmmyOk posted:

I recently bought Emily Carroll's collection of comics and it's insanely good. You can read some of them online on her website.

Really enjoying these now, thanks for the shout!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Are you sure these were written by humans?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Holy poo poo, that is loving amazing!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

But surely there's a difference between 'I don't want to read it' and 'it is a bad thing'?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This sort of attitude is nothing new. Under the old Hays Code regime all criminals had to be portrayed in such a way that nobody would feel any sympathy for them and they always had to get some kind of punishment.

Just looked at the proposal in 1927, and it's quite the read:

quote:

...That those things which are included in the following list shall not appear in pictures... irrespective of the manner in which they are treated:

Pointed profanity – by either title or lip – this includes the words "God", "Lord", "Jesus", "Christ" (unless they be used reverently in connection with proper religious ceremonies), "hell", "drat", "Gawd", and every other profane and vulgar expression however it may be spelled;
Any licentious or suggestive nudity – in fact or in silhouette; and any lecherous or licentious notice thereof by other characters in the picture;
The illegal traffic in drugs;
Any inference of sex perversion;
White slavery;
Miscegenation (sex relationships between the white and black races);
Sex hygiene and venereal diseases;
Scenes of actual childbirth – in fact or in silhouette;
Children's sex organs;
Ridicule of the clergy;
Willful offense to any nation, race or creed;

...That special care be exercised in the manner in which the following subjects are treated, to the end that vulgarity and suggestiveness may be eliminated and that good taste may be emphasized:

The use of the flag;
Theft, robbery, safe-cracking, and dynamiting of trains, mines, buildings, etc. (having in mind the effect which a too-detailed description of these may have upon the moron);
Methods of smuggling;
Sympathy for criminals;
Attitude toward public characters and institutions;
Sedition;
Titles or scenes having to do with law enforcement or law-enforcing officers;
Excessive or lustful kissing, particularly when one character or the other is a "heavy".

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Oooh! Me! Me! I did this gag too! Mine has more paradoxxing.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

AlbieQuirky posted:

Wait, so what was the future self going to tell her? :allears:

Guess we'll never know. :haw:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What sexuality is this? :haw:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

value-brand cereal posted:

Also the hair color is the vore pride flag colors. gently caress everything.

At this point, I'm pretty sure every hair colour is something's pride colours, according to tumblr.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

My friend had a load of those dolls, was planning on doing a photocomic with them a while back. Weird coincidence.

Ours was gonna be better though, of course. :colbert:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Where was that from? I really liked it, want more!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:golfclap:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It feels like it's an unwritten law of comics that after a few years of the same story you have to include a never-ending navel-gazing investigation of your personal philosophy through the (web)comic.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If there's one thing that I know about composition, it's that you avoid symmetry. Balance is stable, solid, boring. This page is exactly how I'd explain that lesson to someone as an example of what not to do. It's a loving rorschach blot of awful.

e: The graphics add nothing, they don't give a single bit of information that isn't in the dialogue.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I kinda like how Crumb just deputised the entire world to be his therapist.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

drat, they got the fursuit eyes down perfectly.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Future archeologists are going to be so confused about this new form of counting that took off for a while, but never went higher than 2.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Now I want to do comics in 'standard' and 'mansplained' versions.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

If they just ended the comic there, nothing more ever, it would be a masterstroke.

They won't, though.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

brb, getting "arbeit macht frei" tattooed over my snatch.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

She's not angry, just disappointed.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'm learning french at the moment because France has a much bigger comics culture than the UK and I want to learn more.

It makes a nice change from 'my brother's dog eats rice' on duolingo.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hjalmar posted:

sex work is work, all work under capitalism is a master/slave dynamic. the things that are bad about sex work are also bad in every other job. unionize everything. the workers shall control the means of reproduction

fixed

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Why is it that the least interesting people always want to share their lives with you?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Try not being a depressed cynic

Don't goonshame me please.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

burexas.irom posted:

How do you upload pictures to Wikipedia?

:golfclap:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Why is love 'confessed' in manga, I've never understood that.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It stems from the need to know how hot will melt your cheese on toast. :eng101:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It means you want to bone your mum. That'll be :10bux:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I wanna know more about this eduwizard.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

"Shoulda learnt economics first" is the lesson. :eng101:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

lofi has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Sep 5, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Syd Midnight posted:

Yes 12 panels is too long, but the edit only works because you know the punchline. On it's own the edit is "Why does the police chief have a baseball in his mouth? He's intimidating the subject by being crazy and terrible at his job, a really bad cop." which is slightly funnier but awkward. To tell the joke in 4-panels, panel 3 would show the 2nd cop looking threatening, and in panel 4 the ball would be a tennis ball instead of a baseball, to make it obvious that it is for playing fetch without having to demonstrate it over several panels.

I didn't even notice the eyes being moved back, because those wandering eyes add nothing and are simply distracting.

I'd go for a newspaper or slippers, personally.

I'm normally a fan of brevity, but I think the 12 panels all do work in showing the suspect's nonplussedness, you need those confusion beats for the comedy to work. I think you could tell the joke in less panels, but you'd have to totally rewrite it.

Man, this is reminding me I've still not read How to Read Nancy, which is an entire book of dissecting and massively overthinking a gag strip.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Dada never died, it just moved online.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Unrealistic 'skin' 'tone', 3/10.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

At the start, sure. By hour 20 I guess you might have a different opinion.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

GIS identified the second one as garfield. Equal mix of scary and funny.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It's hit the point where the loss edit is some sort of bizarre tax that has to be paid to the forum. A tribute, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018