Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm pretty tired of hearing that I just don't "get it". That I haven't had those friends, that I haven't been in those situations. I have, and I understand the humor in lovely people like that, but it's a bad comic. It just is. I can excuse lovely art, lovely writing, lovely jokes, I'm ready, bring it the gently caress on. I can't excuse MM&O. It's just not good.

That said, the one where Megg woke up and decided she'd have a fashion day and then got street hassled into hating life did make me feel something.

Not to SMG it up in here, but the execution is a part of the comic's tone. It's mediocre, inconsistent, and feels like all motivation is spent before the comic is done. It's a half-assed, cynical comic about half-assed, cynical losers. People who look down on any real effort, because they long ago realized they can't follow through on anything, and gave up. If the comic was more professional, it would defeat the premise.

MM&O isn't a funny comic, outside of shadenfreude, or laughing as a defense against some absurdity you recognize in your own life.

It's the logical conclusion of the "It's cool not to care." philosophy of a portion of our generation too broken or lazy to be the sexy hipsters we see on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Okay.

Bring on the Moon Over June. This thread deserves it.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Pershing posted:

Fell in love with Achewood due to this thread, super bummed that he wants us to experience it now as a blog so he can write a (probably terrible) novel and help start a soda company FFS.

Fuuuuuuuck! I hadn't read Achewood in three months. Saw this, read four comics, and got my balls slammed in a file cabinet. gently caress you, Onstad.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
No really. gently caress Chris Onstad. He's tried and failed a handful of things among years long hiatuses. He could have gracefully wrapped up Achewood years ago, and then I'd have said 'Fair enough'. In a couple years he's going to fire up the Ache-mo-tron again, ask that you please buy a t-shirt, manage 10 comics over the course of 5 months, and then gently caress off to have another nervous breakdown.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Hjalmar posted:

are people just posting the scripts to achewood comics now

None of that made me feel divorced, depressed, and too fat to be cool in Portland.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

DancingShade posted:

I'm impressed it still has a fan base but there you go. Niche market for anything apparently.

Some nerds have a mental condition where they interpret any nearly impenetrable cesspool of canon as great epic storytelling. They are the bread and butter of every decade+ old narrative webcomic in existence.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hi. Please stop posting Goblins, or there will be repercussions. This is your Final, and Only, Warning.

*spies Johnny Aztec cautiously eyeing the Moon Over June lever, steps aside, and solemly nods.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
There's a thread over in BSS for spamming old newspaper comics nobody gives a poo poo about. Do it there.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Rigged Death Trap posted:

(And unlike a lot of things that have a terrible fandom the games unironically good.)

All fandom is terrible, and ruins the object of its adoration.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I'm pretty sure he's now hosed every female character except Zii, and she's been thinking about it.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Please do not PBF the bad lamp comic.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Thanks to decades or even hundreds of years of inbreeding, most $1000+ ~purebred~ puppies are going to be much more likely to need expensive, frequent medical care, especially if you're the type of irresponsible shitler to buy from a backyard breeder. Meanwhile, the mutt you get for like $50 in fees from the pound is way more likely to be happy and healthy for far longer.

Once you've treated all the crud your pup picked up in the shelter. My $50 shelter dog turned into a $350 shelter dog after treatment for worms and a respiratory infection. He's awesome, though.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

dog dad I never had, so what

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Krinkle posted:

Does anyone have the titular boobie that can grope itself comic.

Tittyular...

I sure am tired of all these fist titties.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
It's like a nazi rally giving in to the homoerotic tension.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Cakefarts Carol posted:

It's been like thirty odd years, it's ok to make jokes about the Punisher's murdered family.

Pretty sure that modern comics are just the same five years over and over again. An unending ouroboros of comic->movie->reboot.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
This thread deserves MM&O

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I was pro-MM&O back when it started being posted, and I think it's a genuine work of art, but gently caress it's unpleasant.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

funktopus posted:

I think it's more like a parasite that migrates from a dead host to the nearest living one.

At least, that's how we do holidays at my house.

Let me tell you about the Christmas I almost died.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

In true conservative fashion, the comic focuses way more on her wanting an abortion than the fact that she was impregnated by a predator.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Lemon posted:

Oglaf is a really wierd one to me. Okay, not every webcomic needs to adhere to the 3-panel setup/feedline/punchline format but you can go too far the other way. It's oneshot jokes stretched out over a longform format.

We already have gag comics with no unnecessary art.

They're called jokes.

gently caress's sake, let a dude draw a picture.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I see no reason why creeping Kate Beaton should ever be forgot.

:golfclap:

Recognized and appreciated.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

The Bloop posted:

_________/

I heard it!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Choco1980 posted:

...has the artist ever seen a cat?

They think cats experience guilt, so I'm guessing no.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Really, the closest thing a cat feels to guilt is regret. Regret that they weren't as much of an rear end in a top hat as they could have been.

Grandpa Tom looks up from his deathbed, and clutches at his closest progeny.

"I...I could have knocked more poo poo off of counters. Don't be like me, son! Spray bottles are temporary. Nana's cookie jar is forever!"

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

:nws: FALSE! :nws:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Work safe Oglaf is always best Oglaf because they try harder.

The face of it is easy, but look at those last 4 wordless panels. That is art.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

didn't she get married to her longtime "friend" who i always thought was gay

Now they're raising Ray's retarded baby together.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Unmature posted:

dismissive jerkoff motion

You ever see that Louis C.K. bit where he says it would be funny if anyone who did that had to finish, then he mimes jerking off to orgasm in front of a theater full of people?

If you have, have you reflected on it in light of recent revelations?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

:same:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

That sure is one horny turtle.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Sluggy's idea of plot development was answering questions with dumber questions.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I have never been more disappointed to not see a probation at the end of a post.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

College humor did it better, and with Emily Axford whom I crush on like crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWacMAes2dA

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Gilchrist's Nancy should have been called "Aunt Fritzy's Big Ol' Tiddies", because they were his star character.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Ballard Street is some kind of Boomer enclave of guaranteed pension malaise and encroaching senility where doctors are merely gumball machines full of Ambien.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Squidster posted:

I just want to remind everyone that the webcomics scene in the 2000s was loving dire.

2007 and the art was still This. loving. Bad. I stopped reading this poo poo in '01, and you couldn't convince me this was 6 years on without the contemporary references. Everytime I'm reminded of Userfriendly, my brain shudders recalling some banner he had on the website featuring the main female character in a pose that was meant to be sexy, but the artist's silicone-lubed grasp of anatomy twisting it into some cruel mockery of the feminine form. It was like seeing your middle-school math teacher in diaphanous veils and contrapposto with nary a quarter inch of fingernail between your ten digits available to scratch out your eyes.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
How did he go from awful to OK to bland and bad again? Way back before his stories got convoluted beyond interpretation, he had a soft pencils phase that wasn't high art, but it was pleasant.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I'm almost impressed by Maritza Campos' evolution from poo poo to less poo poo to poo poo Photoshop to PHOTOSHOP!!! to aping Mike Krahulik.

Did CRFH reboot or something? It looks like not much has changed in the decade+ since I last read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Doomsayer posted:

Oh yeah sorry, to be clear I actually quite like them as someone who works in mental health with kids (and teenagers, specifically). They're visually interesting and have good topics, but if you're an adult who's already familiar with mental health care and whatnot it might seem shallow. And looking at the Patreon page it's... yeah, because it's for kids :downs:

Trap sprung, but the subject matter is geared toward Japanese social problems, and loses some effect without the context of the tropes.

drat, wanna goonsay myself there, but yeah, there's a lot of broad points and some that are specific enough to remind you it can really suck to be a Japanese kid.