Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Thank you for posting Pupkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

lol that reminds me of a facebook thing I saw firsthand like 7 years ago.

sorta reminds me of what good ol' Andrew Dobson tweeted to Robin William's daughter after his suicide

except that was a less plausibly accidental

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Whenever Hitler told his dog, Blondi, that she was a Good Dog, Hitler was right.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Y'know, sometimes Zen Pencils is really good if you crop out the dopey inspirational moral ending

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Did they not realise that they could just stop writing about them? That it's only their own dumb rules requiring them to have every currently-alive character inhabit the same stupid universe?

The problem is more with angry letter-to-the-editor comic book fans, who will freak the gently caress out over inconsistency in continuity. This behavior used to be encouraged. Sometimes frustrated artists & writers would goad them on, bringing up embarrassing old storylines for a laugh. When comic books started saying "That happened in a different universe/timeline" things got much worse. They should have been harsher to fans in their letter columns, never print letters mentioning continuity mistakes and inconsistencies, just "shut up, every storyline stands on its own."

I used to love Ambush Bug because Keith Giffen was a bad artist but he would bring up the stupidest goddamn old storylines or characters just to annoy obsessed fans and make the other writers jobs harder.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

finalellipsis posted:

at least the three-pronged penis is accurate

But when it is shown in panel #2 only has 2 visible prongs. I believe the male robot stuck his 2-pronged penis into the female robot, who is now upset that the male robot wanted to exchange current without a grounding connector. That's unsafe, and his penis probably doesn't even have a fuse or circuit breaker. He must be very inexperienced to not carry an adapter with him. (Robots of different nationalities have different ventral socket designs and voltages). There I ruined it too.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Gann Jerrod posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that Oglaf is better when it's SFW?

Thats what makes Oglaf the best nerd sex webcomic, when stacked up against the SFW strips from other nerd sex webcomics the contrast is jarring.

I mean I dont think you're expected to jack off to Oglaf as the primary reason for reading it, but the offer is on the table

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Crossposting this from the BYOB webcomics thread cause I thought it was funny.

I believe the existential argument that a perfect copy of a person would become a separate individual, which makes a Transporter Chief one of the galaxy's most prolific serial killers. After a few weeks standing around stewing I'm sure O'Brien started thinking the same way too. "haha keep smiling cretin, I'm about to vaporize your rear end into a cloud of atoms, and get away with it by building a lovely clone of you that's somewhere far away from me".

So don't be fooled by appearance, he really loves his job, that's why he's so eager and helpful, it becomes worth it when a smartass officer comes in and stands underneath the teravolt particle beam, all "what are you waiting for O'Brien, c'mon"

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

A great visual joke, though the stick of dynamite confused me until I remembered that this artist just likes to hide them in his cartoons

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

That last panel just keeps on giving. It only takes one legionnaire with a "Kissing Booth" shield to totally ruin the morale of a Roman tortoise formation.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

finalellipsis posted:

what about the sailboat

Sailing ships can "tack" into the wind, but the weather clearly favors eastward travel which will strongly influence which country actually is superior because one of them is obviously lying about the other one

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

andy capp used to beat his wife

In Beetle Bailey, Gen. Halftrack sexually assaulting his secretary was the only running joke the strip had other than "Beetle is lazy".

tbf "boss trying to rape his secretary" was one of the classic joke set-ups back then

(lol google suggested that last one)

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

Look in the mirror chummie.

But as I get older I get hairier. I thought it was weird back when I started growing hair on my face and pits, but now its growing in places where it gets in the way like ears and nose, wtf?

for real tho, even whales and dolphins are born with vestigial baby hair, and baby elephants' scraggly hairdos are adorable.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Hjalmar posted:

You know how turkey heads basically don't have feathers & look like burn ward scrotums? That's what featherless dinosaurs would be like. Just awful. Nobody wants that.

When my parakeets eggs hatched, a friend was looking at the day old budgies and said "That looks like something that crawled out of Hell. If it was any bigger I'd instinctively scream and stomp on it." and while I loved my baby keets I can totally see where he was coming from. From a strictly aesthetic perspective, I've killed cuddlier things in DOOM. When they started growing cartilagey proto-feathers they still looked horrific but at least by then they'd started acting cute.

the Ned Kelly gang vs. a bunch of cassowaries would be a good deathmatch. Bullets don't hurt either of them very much.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

so in other words pepe needs a completely new and better identity and I know just the country to do it :DDD

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

ONE oval office WOLF PACK posted:

idgi but also don’t know anything about Steven universe

I didn't either, but now we both do. According to the MM&O strip it's a popular childrens cartoon about lesbian superhero drama or something that unstable adults totally obsess over on the internet and draw erotic fanart and jack off wildly and threaten to rape the staff and kill themselves because one of the characters blah blah on Deviantart blah blah because gay blah blah.

So I skimmed the Wikipedia article and they're anthropomorphic gemstones not superheroes but otherwise that seems to sum up Stephen Universe pretty well.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

found it

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Baby 1: Goo goo ga ga.

Baby 2: [Shits audibly into nappy]

Me: You see this, this right here, is why I don't like to admit I watch the Teletubbies. I don't want to be lumped in with the absolute fuckwits that call themselves the series' fans.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Clitch posted:

Really, the closest thing a cat feels to guilt is regret. Regret that they weren't as much of an rear end in a top hat as they could have been.

Their ancestors were at the top of the food chain so they still have the desire to kill humans but not the ability.

Like, imagine if people kept tigers and lions like some people keep pitbulls, so instead of walking past the house with really mean dogs you have to walk past a house with really angry lions. All roaring and throwing their bodies against the chain link fence, or repeatedly trying to jump it because they 100% seriously want to kill you

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

a kid who wears a fedora to middle school is not a sympathetic protagonist

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

language is power

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

and yet I will give up power by not reading that

you're stupid

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

I'm concerned because some say worldwide there are over 9000 genitals.

Statistically, everyone has 1 labium and 1/2 a penis.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

And then dedicate yourself to evil. The people writing Transformers comics aren't the sharpest bulbs in the drawer.

I wonder how the Transformers vs GI Joe comic that was posted last year explained it. That comic loving kicked rear end.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

absolutely everything can devolve to sub-moronic arguments.

That would have been the Something Awful tagline, if the internet didn't make people stupid. But it does.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

NorgLyle posted:

I swear there was an old Parking Lot Is Full strip with this exact joke.

For some reason it reminded me of the PLiF about

which is a much more cutting observation than the "consumerism amirite?" it appears to be at first glance, and the punchline is good because it is a recipe for you brain to surprise you with the actual punchline, so every reader imagines a different hosed up scenario involving someone firing a gun while cumming wildly, appropriate to their personal level of tastelessness.

So I suppose it's really the exact opposite of the other one.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Agent355 posted:

The 12 panels after the initial 4 don't really make the joke much funnier, they add something, it's not entirely wasted space, but the amount of humor they add doesn't validate their existance. It's like joke density or something. Not to mention explaining the joke makes jokes less funny and the shortened version of it requires the reader to think a bit which ultimately results in a better punchline in less space.

Yes 12 panels is too long, but the edit only works because you know the punchline. On it's own the edit is "Why does the police chief have a baseball in his mouth? He's intimidating the subject by being crazy and terrible at his job, a really bad cop." which is slightly funnier but awkward. To tell the joke in 4-panels, panel 3 would show the 2nd cop looking threatening, and in panel 4 the ball would be a tennis ball instead of a baseball, to make it obvious that it is for playing fetch without having to demonstrate it over several panels.

I didn't even notice the eyes being moved back, because those wandering eyes add nothing and are simply distracting.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Ariong posted:

In later versions, the door is made of mundane metal enchanted to have the properties of Adamantine, but it reverts back to iron or whatever if you remove it from the tomb.

I imagine this was the main topic of discussion at several meetings between the lich who designed the dungeon, the lich's accountant, and the engineers that built it.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

Wait, SA has articles? I genuinely thought the main site got shuttered when Lowtax's financial problems got too much to handle.

I know what I'm reading today!

Front page output has slowed to a crawl, but there's usually a new article every few days. I think they should put up a weekly "Best/Worst Posts of the Week", with highlights from the Goldmine/Gas Chamber.

Zack Parsons has done a lot of the heavy front-page lifting for years, imho his Blue Stripe "scifi setting from an everyman perspective" series was one of the all-time best front page features. The Blue Stripe 40,000 Interview Special was a good one - unlike most Blue Stripe, these could be presented as 100% canon without any modification. The only unusual aspect is the concept of allowing such expendable low ranking cannon fodder to ever express their thoughts or feelings, but if you did, this is what they'd be.

edit - my fav line: "When you're planting soybeans one day and a guy with a skull for a head and two chainsaw axes walks out of your barn covered in blood you're going to sign up for whatever he wants." So true.

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Feb 1, 2019

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I have a folder full of pictures of 9/11 rescue dogs, in case I ever need to induce depression. Like maybe a doctor says its medically necessary or something.

ok heres a happy ending

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 05:07 on May 26, 2019

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

Anyone remember a series a comics in which a rabbit girl shoots people for questioning how hardcore she is, conjuring a leather jacket and aviators, gets sentenced to death by the electric chair, and then carefully coughs up a pair of sunglasses and maneuvers them onto her face before escaping?

Lamezone/Cate Wurtz. It's in there somewhere.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Captain Jesus posted:

I'm familiar with all kinds of whipped cream but I really don't know how to whip it without utensils.

MY FELLOW AMERICANS I bring you an important discovery. YOU HAVE BEEN LIED TO.

- Buy a half pint of heavy whipping cream. You will find it in the milk cooler, lurking near the half & half.

- Get a slightly larger lidded container, like a jar. Pour about 1/4 of the cream into the jar. Screw the lid on tight. Shake it HARD.

- After about 30 seconds of shaking it will magically turn into real whipped cream.

When the half pint is mostly gone, you can just hold the top shut and shake it then scoop it right out of the container.

comic:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Paladinus posted:

It's about ethics in robot loving!

That's the thing, it isn't anything like robots that want to be human, it's like humans that want to be robots that want to be humans, and gently caress them.

There's so drat much you could do with "robot with human fetish". They would not be encumbered by our biological instincts that make us obsessed with things like butts, social status, and bilateral symmetry. It's like when a furry draws sex dogs with human facial expressions and human asses, but rarely sex humans with dog mouths and dog asses*.

Here's an idea: a robot with a human fetish, but instead of being hung up on looking human, which is no real challenge, it wants to smell human. A group of hideous asymmetric brain-robot covered with patches of hair and moist tissue, percolating live cultures of gut flora and dental plaque, emitting realistic human body odor, grease sweat, and farts. They're satisfied when dogs can't tell the difference in the dark, and don't give a poo poo about walking on 2 legs or dating an author insert. Also they like to crush living things then dissolve them in pulsing meaty sacks and hoses full of acid slurry. I want to see that interacting with a manic pixie coffeehouse nerd. Take a step back and try something creative.

Q: What was that webcomic about human/animal hybrids where the human and animal parts were the total opposite of the usual ones? Like a giraffe with human face and hands?

A: I don't know, but when I tried to GIS it I found this wtf... DOCTOR HORMONE

yes. THE EYE

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

whoops, wrong comics thread. Oh well.

THE EYE

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

She should try picking her nose in private to become more familiar and comfortable with her own nostrils. It's fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

If a comic can pull off a joke whose punchline is just a facial expression, it is a good comic.

this one would have been better as a 4-panel