Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Official Movie Synopsis:

Marvel posted:

Marvel’s Doctor Strange follows the story of the talented neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a tragic car accident, must put ego aside and learn the secrets of a hidden world of mysticism and alternate dimensions. Based in New York City’s Greenwich Village, Doctor Strange must act as an intermediary between the real world and what lies beyond, utilizing a vast array of metaphysical abilities and artifacts to protect the Marvel cinematic universe.

Starring:

Benedict Cumberbatch as Stephen Strange / Doctor Strange
Chiwetel Ejiofor as Karl Mordo
Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One
Mads Mikkelsen as Kaecilius
Rachel McAdams as Christine Palmer
Benedict Wong as Wong

Who is Doctor Strange and Why Should I Care?:

Introduced in Marvel's Strange Tales #110, Doctor Strange was a brilliant but egotistical surgeon. After a car accident destroys his hands and hinders his ability to perform surgery, he searches the globe for a way to repair them and encounters the Ancient One. After becoming one of the old Sorcerer Supreme's students, he becomes a practitioner of both the mystical arts as well as martial arts. Along with knowing many powerful spells, he has a costume with two mystical objects—the Cloak of Levitation and Eye of Agamotto—which give him added powers.

Here's a great article on Den of Geek which gives a fantastic summary about the character: http://www.denofgeek.com/us/books-comics/doctor-strange/236250/doctor-strange-comics-a-readers-guide-to-the-mystic-arts

Doctor Strange is important because this is the first film that introduces magic into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Up until now, everyone's powers have been based in science or technology, so this is a relatively "new" concept within the MCU. Moving forward, this opens up limitless possibilities in terms of where they can go from here - new realities, dimensions, etc.

Trailers:

Teaser Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt-U_t2pUHI
Trailer #2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM
TV Spot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xoxeCWpZyU

Here's some early impressions from last night's red carpet premiere (source - http://screenrant.com/doctor-strange-movie-reviews-reactions/):

Steven Weintraub, Collider posted:

DOCTOR STRANGE is unlike any previous Marvel movie and that’s why I love Marvel. They keep pushing boundaries and make it look easy.

Peter Sciretta , Slashfilm posted:

Doctor Strange's action set pieces make an MC Escher paintings look tame. Some really great, clever, incentive stuff. Worth the 3D ticket.

Eric Goldman posted:

#DoctorStrange isn't one of Marvel's very best, but it is still a very entertaining and visually dazzling movie with plenty of highlights.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Let's discuss - who else is hyped for this movie? I'll be going opening night (November 3rd) in IMAX 3D, as I feel this is a movie that will benefit from 3D due to it's visually striking aesthetic. I've always liked Doctor Strange as a character and I look forward to see how they've adapted him into the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for the OP, I've been on the fence for this since the first trailer dropped because it looked somewhat bland.

The last trailer with more of the "trippy" visual stuff looks cool so I will probably go watch this in a theater a couple weeks from now.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Apparently AMC is going to giving out posters:

I spoke with a customer service rep to get specifics:

AMC Rep Amanda posted:

In order to receive the poster AMC Stubs members will need to see the film in IMAX on either Thursday 11/3 or Sunday 11/13. The first color poster is for 11/3 and the black light poster will be given away on 11/13. Any AMC IMAX location showing DOCTOR STRANGE, will have the posters. -Amanda

In order to get the poster, all you need to do is sign up for the AMC Stubs membership (which is free) and present your info (via their app or print-out). I'm going to the AMC Lowes IMAX in at the Boston Common on 11/3, so I hope i'll be able to score one.

MacheteZombie posted:

Thanks for the OP, I've been on the fence for this since the first trailer dropped because it looked somewhat bland.

The last trailer with more of the "trippy" visual stuff looks cool so I will probably go watch this in a theater a couple weeks from now.

Thank you! I think it'll be worth it to see in theaters, especially with :420:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Thank you! I think it'll be worth it to see in theaters, especially with :420:

:hfive: For sure!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Is there information on how Europeans can get their mitts on such a poster? I've failed to get a proper Conan poster for ages but this would seem to be a nice albeit slightly less muscled substitute.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Grendels Dad posted:

Is there information on how Europeans can get their mitts on such a poster? I've failed to get a proper Conan poster for ages but this would seem to be a nice albeit slightly less muscled substitute.

Unless AMC has a European affiliate, you're gonna have to ebay it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Unless AMC has a European affiliate, you're gonna have to ebay it.

Doesn't look like it. Maybe I'll try to paint one with the family.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Comicbook.com posted:

“There’s a lot going on this story [Doctor Strange] that will lead you to understand why he’ll play a key role in the next phase,” Cumberbatch explained.

The actor also talked about how he felt now playing Doctor Strange. Cumberbatch said, “Obviously, you want to bring the character to life and tell this really incredible story.”

He continued and stressed that the character’s story is only started in Doctor Strange. “It’s only be the end of the film that you go, ‘Oh my god, this is the beginning.’ It’s an origin story of a superhero that’s going to be part of all of [the MCU].

The actor said he was super excited to see where the character will go in the future. Of course, Cumberbatch has gushed over Stephen Strange before. In fact, he took part in an interview with Tom Hiddleston last month where the duo talked superheroes and more. The actor recalled his recent San Diego Comic Con experience and said fans were more invested in his role rather than himself as a celebrity.

Source: http://comicbook.com/2016/10/21/benedict-cumberbatch-teases-doctor-stranges-key-role-in-mcu-phas/

From the sound of this article, it sounds like Dr. Strange will be central to Phase 4 of the MCU. Could they be phasing Iron Man out and replace him with Doctor Strange? Benedict seems incredibly invested in the character and excited to see where it goes which is nice. I wonder how many films he has in his contract?

I bolded some points for emphasis - this film seems like it'll be an origin story, which I'm okay with given how they're introducing a fairly complex character and concept to the MCU.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 22, 2016

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I will be seeing this solely because Tilda Swinton is my favorite human being

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doctor_strange_2016/

As of right now, the film is sitting at 100% fresh with 14/14 positive reviews (so far). I imagine that the number will come down considerably once more reviews start to come out (the embargo was lifted this morning). The biggest complaints Ive seen so far are:

- The overall story arc of how Steven Strange becomes Dr. Strange is very familiar and "formulaic". His character arc is drawing comparisons to the first Iron Man (which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing, I loved that movie).

- Kaecilius is yet another Marvel villain that's underutilized and Rachel McAdams character is underwritten.

A vast majority of the feedback has been positive though, praising the film's visuals, soundtrack and great performances by Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tilda Swinton and Benedict Wong. Everyone seems to be getting the feeling that they're setting up Doctor Strange as the new central character to the MCU, since they seem to be phasing out Tony Stark.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Pretty much every review says "it's really pretty the effects are good and the music is good, but it's formulaic," which is to be expected from Marvel at this point.

Hopefully the next two (the two with the best directors) break that mold.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

GorgonSmithe posted:

Pretty much every review says "it's really pretty the effects are good and the music is good, but it's formulaic," which is to be expected from Marvel at this point.

Hopefully the next two (the two with the best directors) break that mold.

What really bums me out is Kaecilius being another underwritten/under-utilized villain. The Marvel film division should take a page from the Netflix division - the shows have had consistently strong, well-written villains with a lot of depth. Perhaps it's unfair to compare them since the shows have more time to develop them (13 episodes) as opposed to a movie that's a little over two hours..

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah, I knew they were going to waste Mads and it's probably going to make me not like the movie because of it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Strange is essentially my favorite comic character so I'm allowing myself to be one of those horrible fanboys who rush out to see things. At least in this case, I've got a good feeling that it's going to be entertaining. The only movies I'm going to watch in the theater this year are this, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and The Shining.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

- The overall story arc of how Steven Strange becomes Dr. Strange is very familiar and "formulaic". His character arc is drawing comparisons to the first Iron Man (which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing, I loved that movie).

Iron Man's character arc in his origin is very similar to Dr. Strange's: a proud man brought low who learns to be a better person through the experience. Of course, for Dr. Strange (in the comics at least) one of the important aspects of it is that he humbles himself and then rededicates his life to another path, something that Tony Stark doesn't do.

And yes, Marvel movies need better villains. I think it's the safest bet on the planet that they'll be setting up Dormammu for a sequel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well Dr. Strange has a bunch of great villains, so I think getting one as a warmup to others like Dormammu, Nightmare, and motherfucking Shuma-Gorath is fine.

Plus they have Mordo, too.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Jonny_Rocket posted:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doctor_strange_2016/

As of right now, the film is sitting at 100% fresh with 14/14 positive reviews (so far). I imagine that the number will come down considerably once more reviews start to come out (the embargo was lifted this morning). The biggest complaints Ive seen so far are:

With an average rating of a 6.9. Not too confidence building, but I'll probably end up seeing it anyway because I'm a sucker for the MCU.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Well Dr. Strange has a bunch of great villains, so I think getting one as a warmup to others like Dormammu, Nightmare, and motherfucking Shuma-Gorath is fine.

Good point! I hear that Mordo is one of the strongest aspects about the film, so I really look forward to see what they do with the character moving forward.

Shuma Gorath on film would be badass - I really hope they make that happen someday

GeekyManatee posted:

With an average rating of a 6.9. Not too confidence building, but I'll probably end up seeing it anyway because I'm a sucker for the MCU.

:smith: I still am holding out hope that it'll be a good movie, but I've been fooled by good trailers and promotions before

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Codependent Poster posted:

Does Marvel have the rights to Shuma-Gorath? I thought I heard someone else had them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Patton Oswalt was saying on Twitter that the 3D in this movie works better than most movies that do the "Comin' at ya" effect and really stresses the psychedelic aspect. Sounds good.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Dr. Strange is essentially my favorite comic character so I'm allowing myself to be one of those horrible fanboys who rush out to see things. At least in this case, I've got a good feeling that it's going to be entertaining. The only movies I'm going to watch in the theater this year are this, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and The Shining.

Off topic but gently caress how have I not heard about this? Too bad the only theaters in my neck of the woods showing it are on Wednesday during my work shift.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Shuma Gorath on film would be badass - I really hope they make that happen someday

He could be a viable future Avengers villain after Thanos.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

The Marvel film division should take a page from the Netflix division - the shows have had consistently strong, well-written villains with a lot of depth.

Kind of. There's still wet farts like Diamondback and The Hand.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 24, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Yeesh. The first negative review has come out for Doctor Strange and it compares the film to Green Lantern of all movies:

Scott Mendelson at Forbes posted:

I realize that comparing any comic book film to Green Lantern is a game of dangerous trollery, so for the record, I don’t hate Green Lantern. But that’s the comparison that sticks out in regards to Doctor Strange. It too offers unapologetic fantasy imagery within a painfully generic “chosen one accepts the call” origin story.

Instead of explicitly sketched characters and an interesting story with somewhat grounded visuals or “realistic” fantasy, we get jaw-dropping visuals and next-level action scenes within a mostly unengaging story with thin characters.

Lacking distinctive characterization, it’s the closest thing the MCU has yet offered to a generic superhero movie. There are many noteworthy individual beats and moments of potent spectacle, but the sum of these parts is an oddly unsatisfactory whole.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/10/24/doctor-strange-review-the-sorcerer-subpar/#248aa9d84214

Cythereal posted:

Kind of. There's still wet farts like Diamondback and The Hand.

To be honest, I'll take Diamondback and The Hand over some of the weaker MCU movie villains and cronies - namely Whiplash, Malekith, the Chitauri, and the Dark Elves.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Hand was much more engaging and interesting when it was one guy who went toe-to-toe with Daredevil, and DD only won out of pure luck.

That DD and Elektra were then subsequently able to wipe the floor against 20 ninjas was kind of ridiculous.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Hand was much more engaging and interesting when it was one guy who went toe-to-toe with Daredevil, and DD only won out of pure luck.

That DD and Elektra were then subsequently able to wipe the floor against 20 ninjas was kind of ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with following the inverse ninja law (the more ninja in a scene the less effective they are). It wasn't too awful except for the episode where they're hopping along rooftops keeping pace with and firing arrows at a moving car. Also they did the Netflix Marvel thing where a character suddenly seems almost interesting and gets a tiny bit of development but is then immediately killed off, except they did it to Nobu TWICE.

For real though generally I agree, small number of unique opponents is always going to be more fun than a faceless horde. It felt jarring how Stick's clan is a small international coalition of a few elite people while the Hand is basically a massive army of treacherous Asian people that's able to chase folks throughout NYC and somehow never get noticed. I mean I don't know much about the heavenly cities and all that stuff in the comics but just going by the show the cliffhanger was why are these evil Asian foreigners buying all of NYC digging a hole to China?!?! Like for real? The show tries to have it both ways by talking about class warfare and gentrification a lot while still making the "real" enemy guys out of an 80s/90s evil Japanese people trying to take on America?!?! flick. The combination of more recently notable NYC-concerns and that is really awkward. The irony of Stick being played by Scott Glenn, who also starred in the awful made for tv film The Challenge with Toshiro Mifune (CineD folks may know this movie under its VHS/WPIX name, Sword of the Ninja) is not lost on me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 24, 2016

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

My main point was that The Hand are way more engaging and interesting than the Chitauri and the Dark Elves, both of which were a bunch of faceless alien mooks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

For real though generally I agree, small number of unique opponents is always going to be more fun than a faceless horde. It felt jarring how Stick's clan is a small international coalition of a few elite people while the Hand is basically a massive army of treacherous Asian people that's able to chase folks throughout NYC and somehow never get noticed. I mean I don't know much about the heavenly cities and all that stuff in the comics but just going by the show the cliffhanger was why are these evil Asian foreigners buying all of NYC digging a hole to China?!?! Like for real? The show tries to have it both ways by talking about class warfare and gentrification a lot while still making the "real" enemy guys out of an 80s/90s evil Japanese people trying to take on America?!?! flick.

I will go to, and pay for, and obviously regret because they're lackluster movies, every marvel CU movie in a theater for the next five years if the Netflix Defenders fight Fin Fang Foom as a result of the Hand digging down beneath NYC to awaken him.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Drifter posted:

I will go to, and pay for, and obviously regret because they're lackluster movies, every marvel CU movie in a theater for the next five years if the Netflix Defenders fight Fin Fang Foom as a result of the Hand digging down beneath NYC to awaken him.

As someone who would love to see Fin Fang Foom in the MCU I'll be so dissapointed when this doesn't happen

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jonny_Rocket posted:

As someone who would love to see Fin Fang Foom in the MCU I'll be so dissapointed when this doesn't happen

Going off of Marvel's casting so far, the part of huge Chinese dragon Fin Fang Foom will be played by Alexander Skarsgård.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Did they officially name who Stallone is playing in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yet?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neo Rasa posted:

Did they officially name who Stallone is playing in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yet?

He plays a space trucker who earns some money on the side arm-wrestling.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lobok posted:

That seems a bit over the top.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lobok posted:

Finally US 1 is in the MCU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lobok posted:

Going off of Marvel's casting so far, the part of huge Chinese dragon Fin Fang Foom will be played by Alexander Skarsgård.

It's a shame Stellan Skarsgård has seemingly dropped out of the MCU, they could have had a little moment and then FFF eats Stellan.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm preemptively sorry for cursing this movie to a rotten tomatometer because I care too much about it. Doctor Strange is possibly my favourite hero and I'd like to see him get successful exposure to the casual audience. I'm also obligated to see anything with Tilda Swinton and Inception-esque visuals.

Gimme Shuma-Gorath in a post-credits scene.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shneak posted:

I'm preemptively sorry for cursing this movie to a rotten tomatometer because I care too much about it. Doctor Strange is possibly my favourite hero and I'd like to see him get successful exposure to the casual audience. I'm also obligated to see anything with Tilda Swinton and Inception-esque visuals.

Gimme Shuma-Gorath in a post-credits scene.

Seems to be doing pretty well so far on the Tomato-meter.

40 reviews and it is at 97%.

The only bad review is from a guy from Forbes who hated Deadpool, Straight Outta Compton, and Days of Future Past, but loved the 3rd Hobbit movie, The Annie remake, and Fifty Shades of Grey.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

What do people think the opening weekend box office will look like? According to this site, it's tracking low, but better than Ant-Man:

Tim Beyers at Fool.com posted:

Marvel movies have proven superheroic in their earning power for Walt Disney Co. (NYSE:DIS). Over eight years and 13 films, the franchise is responsible for over $4 billion in domestic box office receipts and $10 billion of global theater ticket sales. Doctor Strange joins the list on Nov. 4, and is tracking for a better open than Ant-Man, the last Marvel hero to make a cinematic debut. (Paul Rudd's adaptation of Marvel's tiniest Avenger opened at $57 million domestically and ended up earning $519.4 million worldwide.)

The problem for Disney investors is that Doctor Strange cost $165 million to make versus $130 million for Ant-Man. Theatergoers also liked what they saw in Rudd as the thief-turned-superhero, giving the film an "A" CinemaScore. Word of mouth led to a decent run in the theaters that ended with the film grossing over a half-billion worldwide. A higher budget for Doctor Strange means a higher hurdle for profitability, which means reviews and early audience reaction are crucial, especially if the tracking data is right and the film opens just marginally higher than Ant-Man did.

Source: http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/10/22/instant-analysis-for-disney-investors-doctor-stran.aspx

I'm hoping it'll at least hit $75 million for the opening weekend and remain steady due to word-of-mouth. I'd argue that Doctor Strange is more well-known over Ant-Man, so I imagine that it'll make more money in its run than that movie did. The marketing for this movie has been pretty on-point

Much like Shneak, I love Doctor Strange and I too would like to see his movie succeed so that we see future installments. Imagine the possibilities without them being tied down to an origin story. There's so many ways they could go, as Doctor Strange has some great villains, namely: Shuma-Gorath, Mephisto, Blackheart, Dormammu and of course, Mordo (if they go that route).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jonny_Rocket posted:

What do people think the opening weekend box office will look like? According to this site, it's tracking low, but better than Ant-Man:

Source: http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/10/22/instant-analysis-for-disney-investors-doctor-stran.aspx

I'm hoping it'll at least hit $75 million for the opening weekend and remain steady due to word-of-mouth. I'd argue that Doctor Strange is more well-known over Ant-Man, so I imagine that it'll make more money in its run than that movie did. The marketing for this movie has been pretty on-point

Much like Shneak, I love Doctor Strange and I too would like to see his movie succeed so that we see future installments. Imagine the possibilities without them being tied down to an origin story. There's so many ways they could go, as Doctor Strange has some great villains, namely: Shuma-Gorath, Mephisto, Blackheart, Dormammu and of course, Mordo (if they go that route).

Genderbent Mephisto is rumored to be the villain for The Defenders Netflix series, but Dormammu is actually in Dr. Strange with two cameos / easter eggs. So, it seems likely that they would be in a sequel.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm pretty interested in seeing this - is Mikkelsen well utilised, or is he wasted? I dream of the world where Hannibal just straight up eats the avengers one by one.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

well why not posted:

I'm pretty interested in seeing this - is Mikkelsen well utilised, or is he wasted? I dream of the world where Hannibal just straight up eats the avengers one by one.

Reviews say that he has a good performance and interesting character, but is underused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Doctor Strange is important because this is the first film that introduces magic into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Up until now, everyone's powers have been based in science or technology, so this is a relatively "new" concept within the MCU. Moving forward, this opens up limitless possibilities in terms of where they can go from here - new realities, dimensions, etc.

Totally serious question, but what about Thor and his world, Asgard?

• Locked thread