Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
some kind of boat-driver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"You wanna go where? Oh, that's going to cost extra."

Drifting from settlement to settlement in search of ways to pay for fuel, ammo, and spare parts is a way of life for plenty of folks these days. Plenty die young, but Marlin is pretty sure she's different. Smarter, faster, and luckier than the average mariner. Better adapted to the new world than the old-timer she inherited her boat from, but not as lost to the Maelstrom as the Painted Men or the Kelp Witch. The Crate is going to help her stay alive - maybe it was just a fishing boat once, but a 2600 horsepower diesel engine and a tough hull go a long way in the new world.

The Driver posted:

Name: Marlin

Stats: Cool+2 Hard= 0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1

Look: Woman, Showy Scrounge Wear, Gorgeous Face, Cool Eyes, Slim Body

Moves:
  • My other boat is a battleship: you get a specialized battle vehicle
  • Weather eye: when you open your brain to the world ’s psychic maelstrom, roll+cool instead of roll+weird.

Gear: In addition to your car, you get:
  • 1 handy weapon (Big Knife 2-harm hand)
  • oddments worth 4-barter
  • fashion suitable to your look (you detail)

HX
  • Which one of you once got me out of some serious poo poo? For that character, write Hx+1.
  • Which one of you has been with me for days on the road?For that character, write Hx+2.
  • Which one of you have I caught sometimes staring out at the horizon? For that character, write Hx+3.
  • For everyone else, write Hx-1. You aren’t naturally inclined to get too close to too many people.

"Crate" - Specialized Battle Vehicle. Speed 1 Handling 1 Armour 1 Massive 3
  • Frame: Utility (Fishing Boat) Massive 3, 2 Battle options.
  • Strengths: Rugged, Workhorse.
  • Looks: Garish, Quirky
  • Weakness: Loud, Guzzler
  • Battles Options: Speed +1, Handling +1, Armour +1, Mounted .50 cal.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 24, 2016

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

PoultryGeist posted:

Marlin, the Driver
Where’s the closest you’ve come to actually settling down, and why didn’t you? What's the weirdest thing you’ve out there in your travels?

Ever heard of Cloudland? It's where the Painted Men live. I got stuck there one after a storm blew me in to their harbour and they got on board before I realized where I was. They have actual solid land there, coming up out of the sea - it's called Cloudland because half the time the land is on fire, and melts, and makes steam from the waves. The black rock and ash-soil don't grow anything much but it's pretty inspiring to walk on real earth without a dive suit.

Anyway, I got caught. Their chief, Oar-lord, wanted me dead straight away for trespassing, but they have a shaman/brainer dude called Tekkany who said that I needed to stay as a 'Bride of Pele' because I was a gift from the sea. Tekkany won the argument which meant I got to live in a gilded caged for a couple months. Didn't need to work apart from being a feature in creepy rituals, I've never eaten as well before or since. I was only sneaking out at night to make repairs to the Crate from force of habit, really. I had to leave when the island started suffering worse tremors, fishing started to go bad, and more than one raid failed. The Painted stopped seeing me as a good luck charm, and I overheard talk about feeding me to the Red Mouth if things didn't improve. Maybe things would have turned around, but I wasn't going to take that risk. I had enough fuel stashed to make a run for the Shoals, and so I made a break for it one moonless night when the cloud could cover my escape. I feel kind of bad about it, but I never asked them to put me on a pedestal.

The weirdest thing I've what? Seen? That would be the Mirage. It looks like a huge before-times city that appears a few miles away at dusk, glowing with light and movement, but when you sail towards it moves away, and keeps retreating until dark. Then it just vanishes, and usually you've sailed into a trap or onto a reef. Heard? The radio on the Crate isn't the strongest, but I've had signals come in in languages I don't understand, some times things that don't sound human. The worst was a screaming voice that went on for what seemed like days, blaming me personally for fire and famine. It was my own voice, though. The weirdest thing I ever met was a talking whale. Just pulled alongside me and chatted for an hour about krill and sharks, then dived away. Never saw it again.

The Ocean is loving strange, is my point.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Re-app with Marlin

"You wanna go where? Oh, that's going to cost extra."

Drifting from settlement to settlement in search of ways to pay for fuel, ammo, and spare parts is a way of life for plenty of folks these days. Plenty die young, but Marlin is pretty sure she's different. Smarter, faster, and luckier than the average mariner. Better adapted to the new world than the old-timer she inherited her boat from, but not as lost to the Maelstrom as the Painted Men or the Kelp Witch. The Crate is going to help her stay alive - maybe it was just a fishing boat once, but a 2600 horsepower diesel engine and a tough hull go a long way in the new world.

The Driver posted:

Name: Marlin

Stats: Cool+2 Hard= 0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1

Look: Woman, Showy Scrounge Wear, Gorgeous Face, Cool Eyes, Slim Body

Moves:
  • My other boat is a battleship: you get a specialized battle vehicle
  • Weather eye: when you open your brain to the world ’s psychic maelstrom, roll+cool instead of roll+weird.

Gear: In addition to your car, you get:
  • 1 handy weapon (Big Knife 2-harm hand)
  • oddments worth 4-barter
  • fashion suitable to your look (you detail)

HX
  • Which one of you once got me out of some serious poo poo? For that character, write Hx+1.
  • Which one of you has been with me for days on the road?For that character, write Hx+2.
  • Which one of you have I caught sometimes staring out at the horizon? For that character, write Hx+3.
  • For everyone else, write Hx-1. You aren’t naturally inclined to get too close to too many people.

"Crate" - Specialized Battle Vehicle. Speed 1 Handling 1 Armour 1 Massive 3
  • Frame: Utility (Fishing Boat) Massive 3, 2 Battle options.
  • Strengths: Rugged, Workhorse.
  • Looks: Garish, Quirky
  • Weakness: Loud, Guzzler
  • Battles Options: Speed +1, Handling +1, Armour +1, Mounted .50 cal.

PoultryGeist posted:

Marlin, the Driver
Where’s the closest you’ve come to actually settling down, and why didn’t you? What's the weirdest thing you’ve out there in your travels?

Ever heard of Cloudland? It's where the Painted Men live. I got stuck there one after a storm blew me in to their harbour and they got on board before I realized where I was. They have actual solid land there, coming up out of the sea - it's called Cloudland because half the time the land is on fire, and melts, and makes steam from the waves. The black rock and ash-soil don't grow anything much but it's pretty inspiring to walk on real earth without a dive suit.

Anyway, I got caught. Their chief, Oar-lord, wanted me dead straight away for trespassing, but they have a shaman/brainer dude called Tekkany who said that I needed to stay as a 'Bride of Pele' because I was a gift from the sea. Tekkany won the argument which meant I got to live in a gilded caged for a couple months. Didn't need to work apart from being a feature in creepy rituals, I've never eaten as well before or since. I was only sneaking out at night to make repairs to the Crate from force of habit, really. I had to leave when the island started suffering worse tremors, fishing started to go bad, and more than one raid failed. The Painted stopped seeing me as a good luck charm, and I overheard talk about feeding me to the Red Mouth if things didn't improve. Maybe things would have turned around, but I wasn't going to take that risk. I had enough fuel stashed to make a run for the Shoals, and so I made a break for it one moonless night when the cloud could cover my escape. I feel kind of bad about it, but I never asked them to put me on a pedestal.

The weirdest thing I've what? Seen? That would be the Mirage. It looks like a huge before-times city that appears a few miles away at dusk, glowing with light and movement, but when you sail towards it moves away, and keeps retreating until dark. Then it just vanishes, and usually you've sailed into a trap or onto a reef. Heard? The radio on the Crate isn't the strongest, but I've had signals come in in languages I don't understand, some times things that don't sound human. The worst was a screaming voice that went on for what seemed like days, blaming me personally for fire and famine. It was my own voice, though. The weirdest thing I ever met was a talking whale. Just pulled alongside me and chatted for an hour about krill and sharks, then dived away. Never saw it again.

The Ocean is loving strange, is my point.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 3, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Which one of you once got me out of some serious poo poo? For that character, write Hx+1.

TychoBrahesNose. Yeah, I remember that. Could have been a real nasty scene.

quote:

Which one of you has been with me for days on the road?For that character, write Hx+2.

quote:

Which one of you have I caught sometimes staring out at the horizon? For that character, write Hx+3.
Error 404

quote:

For everyone else, write Hx-1. You aren’t naturally inclined to get too close to too many people.

Error 404 posted:

Hx Post:
All of You

Can I trust you?

Nah. Too likely to cut and run, or be off somewhere else when you need me.

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Pearl has only one question for everyone:
Can I count on you to tell me the truth?

Yes. Reliable info is the only thing that keeps a mariner alive, and what goes around comes around.

quote:

'Ey, is yoo'n growler?

Nope. I'm a salty sea dog, not a loup de la mer.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 15, 2017

• Locked thread