Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you support the strikers
yes
no, because i am literally randy pitchford
View Results

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Actors who do voices or mocap for major videogames are going on strike to protest their low compensation and lack of royalties. Mocap people want stunt coordinators so they don't hurt themselves doing stunts for call of duty or whatever, and voice actors want to know what they're working on and to not have to scream for hours on end until they go permanently hoarse forever and have to retire, which they can't, because they have no royalties. This will delay Kingdom Hearts 3, the COD 4 remaster, and a bunch of other games made by other dogshit companies who are awful, like EA. loving corporations should all burn to the ground imho

list of companies being targeted:

Activision Publishing, Inc. ​
Blindlight, LLC
​Corps of Discovery Films
​Disney Character Voices, Inc.
Electronic Arts Productions, Inc. ​​
Formosa Interactive, LLC
​Insomniac Games, Inc. ​
Interactive Associates, Inc.
Take 2 Interactive Software
​VoiceWorks Productions, Inc.
​WB Games, Inc.

you can see if a game is being delayed for the strike here: https://www.sagaftra.org/files/struck_video_game_productions_list.pdf

here's a news story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37721223/video-game-voice-stunt-and-motion-actors-go-on-strike-in-us-over-pay

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All those people are going to be homeless in three months when scabs take all their work.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ride The Gravitron posted:

All those people are going to be homeless in three months when scabs take all their work.

it would probably be hard for ea to just fire all their sag workers considering that'd result in mass effect 4 starring bob from accounting

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I wish the strikers the best of luck.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

they will probably be replaced i hear Randy Quaid is lookin for work these days. He's gonna be the new Shep in Mass Affect.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

actra which is the canadian actor's guild is also supporting the strike

https://twitter.com/ACTRAnat/status/789507562945339392

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Is Charles Martinet going to join the Super Mario Strikers?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
ty for making a checkbox poll op i support more money for people who work on video games i just hope this doesnt delay persona 5

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

kingdom hearts 2.8 is specifically delayed, as is mass effect 4. any game started after february 2015 is subject to the strike, as long as it is also a SAG project -- which basically means anything that's got at least one actual actor in it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

ty for making a checkbox poll op i support more money for people who work on video games i just hope this doesnt delay persona 5

atlus is not one of the companies being targeted for action.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I wish them the best, but it honestly doesn't look too good considering how easily replaceable I find many voice actors to be. I mean, yeah we may miss a few iconic voices, but there are quite a few roles where characters have been replaced by other voice actors.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'd be ok with every game just going back to dialog boxes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

however, team fortress 2 is on the list, so there's that

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, best of luck to 'em, but the tech industry is such a libertarian nightmare of anti-worker practices that they're probably just going to get dumped and we'll have stuff like Chaos Wars again where they just pulled randos from off the street.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 22, 2016

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

More that they're going to stick to film and television because the working conditions there aren't (as) lovely. The strike order also doesn't preclude them from all video game voice acting, just those specific companies. It's not just VAs, either: stunt performers doing mocap and poo poo are also part of the action, so character animations will also get shittier.

I'm also not sure if the strike means that big-name Hollywood actors also can't do game jobs; guess it'd depend on which actors are also SAG-AFTRA members. I imagine studio execs would be concerned if they can't bring in dudes like Patrick Stewart or Kevin Spacey anymore to help sell their games because of their refusal to re-negotiate a 22-year-old contract.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

I wish them the best, but it honestly doesn't look too good considering how easily replaceable I find many voice actors to be. I mean, yeah we may miss a few iconic voices, but there are quite a few roles where characters have been replaced by other voice actors.
as proven by Arkham Origins???

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's a game on that list called Mimosa Friday, I want to play that.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

TF2 is doing updates that require voice actors? Huh.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Quest For Glory II posted:

as proven by Arkham Origins???

and Metal Gear Solid V and Dead Rising 4 and every Resident Evil game ever.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

QuantaStarFire posted:

More that they're going to stick to film and television because the working conditions there aren't (as) lovely. The strike order also doesn't preclude them from all video game voice acting, just those specific companies. It's not just VAs, either: stunt performers doing mocap and poo poo are also part of the action, so character animations will also get shittier.

I'm also not sure if the strike means that big-name Hollywood actors also can't do game jobs; guess it'd depend on which actors are also SAG-AFTRA members. I imagine studio execs would be concerned if they can't bring in dudes like Patrick Stewart or Kevin Spacey anymore to help sell their games because of their refusal to re-negotiate a 22-year-old contract.

I'm pretty sure any actor that isn't some weird super indie guy or reality star is SAG-AFTRA

Deki posted:

TF2 is doing updates that require voice actors? Huh.

Are they still doing voiced trailers for updates? Could be something like that.

Does TF2 even still get updates?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I've never bought a game because of a voice actor and I can only actually name less than 10 who weren't stunt castings of actual celebrities.

Go back to dialogue boxes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

voice acting is cool, actually

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Never again hearing the voices of the same people doing the same voices over and over sounds pretty good to me.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

bloodysabbath posted:

I've never bought a game because of a voice actor and I can only actually name less than 10 who weren't stunt castings of actual celebrities.

Go back to dialogue boxes.

The cats out of the bag for that one now, voice actors should be treated with more respect and not just disposable scream drones, sure everyone has a voice but unless you want to revisit the 90's era of bad voicework then I hope the strike goes well for them.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
You don't think much about voice actor strain when you're playing a game, but then you realize Jim Cummings voices about a third of the characters in Skyrim.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
What is a realistic demand for these folks? Mocap types wanting stunt doubles makes sense from a safety perspective, but does anyone really think 99.9999999 percent of voice actors in shooter games are going to have the leverage to negotiate for gross points or whatever?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

bloodysabbath posted:

What is a realistic demand for these folks? Mocap types wanting stunt doubles makes sense from a safety perspective, but does anyone really think 99.9999999 percent of voice actors in shooter games are going to have the leverage to negotiate for gross points or whatever?

'Course not, but Patrick Stewart can, and that's why entertainment unions exist. You wanna get the big names, you gotta treat all your talent right.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

pft who needs selfish entitled voice actors when you can do the work yourself with your family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bloodysabbath posted:

Limiting recording sessions to 2 hours at a time for the same pay seems pretty reasonable given the additional vocal strain that video game VO work entails (screams, death sounds, etc.), not to mention that they might have other jobs to go to that day and don't want to cancel because they destroyed their voice or started coughing up blood during recording for the latest shootmans. The stunt guys want a stunt coordinator on the mocap set to minimize the risk of injury. And knowing what the part involves before accepting the work like every other entertainment industry seems pretty reasonable as well.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bloodysabbath posted:

they have leverage because they are in a union and that is what a union is for. this is not a complex issue surely? this doesnt cover non-union game dev projects, btw, so if you wanna do a shitheap project for five bucks and hire your mom then yeah she aint got no leverage. but if they want kiefer sutherland then they have to follow the rules for everyone else too

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 22, 2016

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Don't get me wrong. I'm on their side and think they should get what they're asking for.

I just think the video babe companies are thing to ignore them and hire scabs because they know gamers will buy anything they poo poo out.

Capitalism is going to win this one.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The videogame industry is seriously hosed up labor wise. I hope the VAs succeed, and the other people in the industry use that success to pressure for more reforms.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
good

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Don't get me wrong. I'm on their side and think they should get what they're asking for.

I just think the video babe companies are thing to ignore them and hire scabs because they know gamers will buy anything they poo poo out.

Capitalism is going to win this one.

Eh. If this were hard and fast, they'd never hire celebrity voices at all. Outdated minimums or no, it's not like Kevin Spacey ever comes cheap.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

How can this affect things like MW Remastered that are out in 2 weeks? Surely they've went gold?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I'm going to guess that Alligator is Red Dead Redemption 2's codename. Just a guess.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Seedge posted:

How can this affect things like MW Remastered that are out in 2 weeks? Surely they've went gold?

i have no idea, but it's on the list

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Seedge posted:

Any DLC they have planned that's still in production is going to get shelved until the matter is either resolved or they decide to hire scabs just to get poo poo out the door. They also can't use sound-alikes for major characters lest they invite lawsuits.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Good on them. They deserve a better set of payments, and the industry needs a bit of a shakeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm torn. On the one hand voice acting is close to my heart and these are good people who deserve better.

On the other hand I would welcome a return to games that sound like this with open arms.

• Locked thread