Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Long ago legends walked the land. Wizards of unparalleled power, warriors of such might that armies fell beneath every blow, thieves who could steal the very color of your eyes. The world was shaken. The world was nearly destroyed.

And then they disappeared. Thousands of years later strange and mysterious towers erupted across the land. Each tower was engraved with but a few words, the name of some mighty legend. Small time heroes became curious and investigated the towers. Yet none returned.

Over the next few decades heroes and villains would try and investigate the towers. Then one day a mighty hero entered a tower, and returned! He came back with mighty items and immeasurable treasure, and soon he founded a kingdom. And from that day forward none could enter the tower he had cleared. But his return reignited the interest in the towers. Over the years a few more individuals or groups managed to clear a tower, gaining unimaginable power and riches.

Still more towers remain than those that have been conquered. And then there is you. A small group of exceptional individuals, with the making of a hero within you. You are sure that you could clear the tower and prove your legend. And now you begin!

For here is the tower you have chosen to climb. Engraved upon the entrance are the words The Cyst of Vala the Sinister.

------------------------

You each have your reasons for climbing the tower, and now you have come together. You walk up to the entrance of the tower, read the words inscribed upon the entrance and enter. You pass into light, only to find yourselves in darkness. A small hallway by the looks of it, for those who can see. For Leo it is all darkness. There does not seem to be any exit to the small hallway, except the stairs you just ascended, but can you leave the tower so soon?

This hallway seems to be made of natural stone, somehow, but with a flagstone floor. It is warm, but dark.

Okay our cast is Leo Brynjar played by Valhawk.
Molla Tyrn played by MTV Crib Death
Sereia Arlingfeld played by P.d0t
Roland Illithyra played by Blank Construct
and Sundal played by FriskyBoat

I would like tokens if you have them or can make them, otherwise I will work on making some for you. At some point it would be nice if you could fill out the character sheets I will be making for you on Roll20, or at least put hp and AC if I haven't already. And you can see the map revealed so far by looking on Roll20.

Discord Channel
Roll20 Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Roland
10/10 HP 17 AC (shield equipped) 2/2 1st lvl

"Alright, first things first: How many of you can actually see anything right now?" Roland growled.

"I can."

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 22, 2016

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Leo
15/15 HP 20AC (shield equipped) 1st lvl

Leo pulls out one of the two dozen or so torches in his pack, and lights it. "I can see just fine." He looks around, "In fact, I think there's something right here." Taking a step towards the wall, he points to an area of wood unlike the rest of the walls which are stone. "Probably some sort of door I wager." He smiles.

Rolled Perception on the roll20 game and got an 18.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Once Leo points out the door Sundal opens it, fairly easily. The door didn't seem to be trapped, but as it pushes in a stream of acid shoots out, into the room they are about to enter. Luckily their position in the hallway kept them safe. As they look about they see that the door was cleverly hidden as part of a bookcase, and had some sort of acid spray trap set up.

This room contains two wooden doors, and nothing else of note. It remains dark and warm, though Leo's torch helps with the first.

Ⓢ A bookcase and concealed door pivots smoothly.

Luckily that was in this room, rather than the one you left so the trap it triggered didn't hit you.

This room contains two doors. The nearer one looks to be of good construction.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 22, 2016

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Sundal, the Level One Wizard
8 HP | 12 AC

Whew. Looks like we weren't supposed to come through that side. Good catch Leo. Uh...you'll still take the front, right? I work best from the shadows. And very far away.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 12/12 | AC: 17
Divine Sense: 3/3
Lay on Hands: 5/5

"I can see fine."

"What do you suppose this room was used for?"

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Roland

"Hmm. Good eye," Roland said.

He peered around the room looking for anything else of note.

Perception 18

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 10

Roland takes a quick look around but doesn't seem to spot much else of interest. He does notice that the doors look locked.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Molla.
HP: 11/11 AC: 14

"Not much for interior design, this Vala." Molla says, looking around the barren room. "And good question, Sereia. Let me think about that."

Rolling Insight:
d20 + 5 = 7

Also, I don't seem to have access to my character sheet on Roll20. Is there some option I'm missing?

MTV Crib Death fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 24, 2016

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Roland

"Looks like there's nothing here. Time to move on."

Roland walked to the furthest door and knelt down in front of it.

"Wait there," he said as pulled a roll of cloth from his pack and unfurled it, revealing its contents to be an array of fine metal implements. "Might be trapped."

With a silent prayer of "please don't be trapped," he worked at the lock.

Dex check + prof in thieves' tools + guidance: 22

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 10

Roland moves up to the further of two eastern doors and without checking for traps unlocks it without any trouble. Luckily it did not seem to be trapped.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
8 HP | 12 AC

Yeah! What do you see on the other side Roland? Any loot?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 10

The hallway beyond seems empty, but while the group is debating going forth they begin to hear some buzzing and then an innumerable number of insects come around the corner and come for them.

Combat has begun, pd0t and MTV are up.
Roll20 Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 25, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia wades into the fray, weapon drawn.

18 hits, 7 slashing damage (scimitar)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Grunting with exertion, the paladin slashes a huge gash through the swarm.

crit, 9 slashing damage (scimitar)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 10

Between fire and spells, and a few swipes of a weapon, the insects are crushed, smashed or driven away. Sereia reaches over and jump starts Molla with a touch of healing.

200xp for the two, split amongst you gets each of you 50xp.

Roll20 Map

Hallway

Roland and Sereia sneak down the hallway, looking for traps, and eventually find one. Calling Sundal over it is determined that stepping on the area would trigger a stone spear to slam into someone. Leo walks up and handily takes care of the trap with the manliest of methods, simply triggering the trap, catching the spear and ripping it clean from its base. Carrying the remains of the spear he turns to the party.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 25, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia moves up and braces for the worst, brandishing her shield.

Dodge action.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 17

Sereia takes the lead, and the two mephits fly up and belch forth a stream of magma at Sereia, Molla and Roland. Sereia and Molla go down.

Sereia takes half from the first, but fails the second which was the more damaging one. BlankConstruct needs to make two Dex saves, hopefully passing the fairly easy DC.

After this battle you might want to hunker down and rest for awhile, as you have lost a lot of hp.

Roll20 Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
8 HP | 12 AC

Sundul, who had been pretty quiet so far, piped up. I've read about these things! They explode when they die! Stay back from them!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 10

A fierce battle follows but in the end the party is victorious, with Roland finishing off the last mephit with a bolt of holy light.

As you take a moment to rest you hear a hoarse voice call out from behind you.

"What are you buying? What are you selling?"

Victory is yours! More xp for the xp god! And what is this?

Roll20 Map

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 12>0/12 | AC: 17
Lay on Hands: 4/5

"Depends what's for sale... and how much deniro you have." :smug:

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 3, 2016

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
8 HP | 12 AC

Sundul darts behind Roland and casts minor illusion to disguise herself inside a barrel. Minor whimpering is heard from within.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 10

"Everything has a price." He pauses. "Dinero? I thought they used the gold standard here."

And he pauses again as Sundal rushes off into a barrel. An illusory barrel.

"Uh...is your friend okay?" He starts rummaging around in his coat. "I am sure I have something here for insanity."

Roll20 Map

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Leo

Leo stretches as he walks across the room, being sure that the merchant can see his impressive physique and that he is wearing no armor even in the Tower. With a swift steady motion he pulls his two thrown axes out of the remains of the mephits, with a short toss he flips the axe over, and then puts it away. Now that he has established he is not someone to be trifled with, he turns and gives the merchant a smile. "So what do you have that might be useful for us?"

Recovering my 2 thrown handaxes, and attempting to impress the merchant:
pre:
Persuasion (Cha)
Leo Brynjar
Wow, that's not my best roll.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 10

The man seems less than impressed with Leo's attempts to impress. He seems fairly unfazed by the flipping of axes.

"Well what do you want?"

Roll20 Map

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Sundul, the Level One Wizard
8 HP | 12 AC

Sundul cautiously dispels her illusion and speaks to the merchant. What kind of wares do you have? My companions might have want for new weaponry, or new armor.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 10

The man repeats himself. "Well what do you want?"

Roll20 Map

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Leo

Leo's eyes narrow. It was strange that a travelling salesman hadn't even attempt to hawk his goods. Stranger still, how did this man get here in the first place?

"If I may, before we can worry about trade, perhaps you can tell us who you are, and the source of your goods?" He makes the question sound pleasant enough, but he is carefully scrutinizing the merchant attempting to determine who or what it is.

Attempting to learn what I can about the merchant via observing him and his reaction to the question.

code:
Perception (Wis)
Leo Brynjar

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 10

The man blinks. "Ah yes excuse me. I am the Merchant. I travel from place to place selling and buying with those I come across. Particularly to those in great danger."

Meanwhile Sundul investigates the mephit bodies, finding that they could likely be used in some concoctions, but that they would require special tools and other ingredients to make anything useful. She then takes the bodies over to the Merchant and sees if he would be interested in them.

The Merchant looks over the mephit bodies for a bit before nodding. Yes I would give you 10 gold apiece for them. And if you come back later I may have something useful for sale."

When asked about healing potions he pulls one out, and says, "I could let one go for 100 gold."

That would be Insight rather than Perception, still that is a fairly good roll.

Roll20 Map

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Leo

Leo shrugs, "What do you have for 5 gold or less?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 10

The man begins looking through his coat, occasionally speaking up.

"Well I have some padded armor. some clubs, daggers, a few greatclubs, some handaxes, some javelins, light hammers, a couple maces, some quarterstaffs, sickles, spears, a lot of darts, some slings, some pikes, some tridents, a few war picks, some whips, some nets."

He puts the one side down and opens the other side of his coat and continues.

"An abacus, no make that three, about three thousand arrows, quite a few blowgun needles, some crossbow bolts, , sling bullets, a few staves. Non magical of course for that cost. Some backpacks, some ball bearings, some barrels, some baskets, bedrolls, bells, blankets, block and tackle."

He looks up. "Do you want me to continue? Or do you want to name what you want?"

Roll20 Map

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Roland
3/10 HP 17 AC (shield equipped) 0/2 1st lvl

"Information. How much?"

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 8, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 10

The man looks almost embarrassed. "Well that isn't my usual trade."

He thinks for a moment. "It really will depend on what you want to know."

Roll20 Map

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Molla.
HP: 1/11 AC: 14

Molla perks her ears up as she listens to the conversation. She wonders what kind of man lurks around such a dangerous and mysterious tower alone.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Molla listens carefully and watches the man's reactions, picking up even more than Leo. She realizes the man really wants to buy and sell. She figures out that he would likely give a discount after the party had spent enough, and that he would even start paying more for things they sell when they have sold enough to him. From the way he looks over the mephits and talks about something for them when they come back she figures that they could bring him various "ingredients" and that he would be able to produce various potions and such from the ingredients, allowing them to purchase them for a fairly decent price.

Also in case it isn't clear he can produce pretty much anything you might want, so long as you have the money. Even pulling a ladder from his coat at one point when going over his inventory.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Roland

"Hm. Demon Statue in torture room. What does it do?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 10

The man thinks for a moment, as if trying to remember what statue you are talking about.

"Nothing. It is just a statue. Hmm if you could retrieve it I would pay you either 1000 gold, or a fitted suit of plate mail armor."

Roll20 Map

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 8, 2016

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Roland

"Tempting. Also noisy. What is the creature sleeping behind the door in the torture room?"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 7/12 | AC: 17
Lay on Hands: 4/5

"Seems at least worth looking into. We might as well check it out, see if we can move it. But be careful it's not booby-trapped," she adds, with a nod to the Cleric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Room 10

The man doesn't even hesitate this time. "A silver wyrmling. If you can befriend it it might give you some quests or something."

Roll20 Map

• Locked thread