Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
RARE's magnum OPUS. No debate.

https://twitter.com/pr0spector88/status/483814625964589056

Perfect Dark was insanely ahead of its time when it released on the N64. Utilizing the memory pak expansion, it had fully voiced dialogue, a loving ton of missions (way more than Goldeneye) alternate fire weapon modes, an insanely deep combat simulator (which could enable you to add up to loving 8 bots to a single game, stacked on top of FOUR local players) Of course, this was laggy as gently caress, but hell, you could do it. This was the era when having reloading animations onscreen was bonkers and every single weapon had a unique reloading animation.

quote:

Technically, it is one of the most advanced games developed for the Nintendo 64, with an optional high resolution graphics mode, widescreen support, and Dolby Surround Sound.

The number and variety of simulant bots was astonishing. The statistics the game kept track of was mind blowing. poo poo like rounds fired per gun, accuracy, kills, melee kills, everything u could ever want and more.

It had a loving insanely good Co-op mode and an even cooler and unmatched Counter-Co-op mode where your buddy or you could take control of one of the NPCs in the level and try to stop the main player from finishing it. You had suicide pills to force a respawn if the main character got too far ahead of you.

Perfect Dark made Goldeneye look like dogshit. It had a lot of the same kinds of features, like disarming if you shot a guy's hand that was holding a gun. Enemies would run for new guns if they dropped theirs to reclaim some power.

It had almost all the best Goldeneye maps, including Facility. You could completely customize your avatar and character, as well as the bot characters and make monsters like Dark Sims who would open doors backwards, with the shortest character's body and a normal sized human head to make them terrifyingly deadly. There were 18 different bot types you can utilize, and some of them were just gimmicky. Meatsims had essentially anti-auto-aim. You could issue commands to the bots if they were on your team. And you could have like, eight teams in a single game. Gimmicky stuff like having simulants who only pursue players that just killed them, bots who only collect weapons and don't kill anyone, bots who only pursue the highest scoring player, etc.

The number of weapons was off the hook. Including a submachine gun that you could throw as a stationary turret that kept track of how much ammo it had when you threw it down. Fly-By-Wire rocket launchers let you guide your missiles exactly where you wanted, something I literally haven't seen outside of one of the later batman games with the batarang.

N-Bombs were insane and maybe bugged in the sense that the dizzy-damage effect persisted through death. The gametypes were refreshing and just different enough to be really interesting. An early version of Halos Juggernaut, a varied King of the Hill, and Hacker Central which was essentially a kind of central bomb objective game type.

RARE never made another game nearly as deep, good and insanely awesome as Perfect Dark 64. Microsoft bought Rare out shortly after the Xbox came out and they languished. You could argue Banjo Kazooie perfected 3D platforming in that generation of games.

quote:

Ghost in the Shell was a major influence on the character, setting and plot. The name of the in-game company "dataDyne" was inspired by Yoyodyne from The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon. Another significant influence on the game's locations was the work of author Philip K. Dick. Hollis explained that he and designer David Doak "picked a range of locations we thought would be impressive and architectural, on the model of GoldenEye but sci-fi dystopias... The settings came first; the plot was then constructed by Dave to sew them together".

Perfect Dark suffered on the n64 because it literally pushed the system to its absolute limits. You can see this if you load up a decent sized multiplayer map and push maximum bots. The fact that you could even play with bots was ridiculous. It was ahead of its time, and it is still one of my absolute favorite games I ever played. I played a gently caress ton of it when I was in middle school early elementary school with my best friend at the time, and I still have my gamepak with boxing tape over the back and my name written on it to distinguish it from his copy.

I understand a lot of the developers that worked on Perfect Dark and Goldeneye 64 moved on to make a couple TimeSplitter games. Those were also very loving excellent, but even with the level editor and map generation, and zombie modes, it couldn't compete with Halo after it released.

My absolute favorite memories of Perfect Dark was playing with my buddy on Facility against a Darksim we made we called "little evil", as he had the body of an alien and joanna's head (to make headshots more difficult) and his pursuit was relentless and his aim was perfect. We were hiding out in the back of the Facility map where (in goldeneye, it turned into the labs right after the two split off rooms with the generators)

I was hiding and my buddy was coming, with the darksim in fast pursuit, and I opened the slowly sliding door and as I did, he yelled as a crossbow bolt splintered his characters head and killed him. I switched my Super Dragon to grenade launcher mode and unleashed a volley into the corridor and killed the darksim, for now.

Skedar tech and the Alien weapons were loving sick. Switching the Callisto to high impact rounds would over penetrate doors and allow you to get insane kill streaks. Beating the final level required a perfect and precise use of the falcon pistol, where I trained my trigger finger to unleash a whole clip into a skedar within a couple seconds to kill it.

I will fight anyone who claims that Halo 4's Forerunner guns aren't inspired by Perfect Dark's alien gun tech.

gently caress, disguises and other tech in the game was just insanely good, even if it wasn't necessarily ground breaking.

When they released the xbox 360 arcade update to it, I never spent 10 dollars faster in my entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I agree, OP.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It owns

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The matrix had just come out and the multiplayer map with the elevator, running out double fisting SMgs and unloading on EasySims

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was always more of a Timesplitters guy OP but I appreciate the effort. You have my 5's.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

😒

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah the X-ray gun that auto targeted and shot through all the walls in a level. The farsight. Lol

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Proximity pinball was heaps of fun.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
A great game. I bought the HD remaster, and it's great at 1080p and very faithful to the N64 game.

What are your thoughts on the HD version, OP?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's wicked. Modern controls and way high resolution textures. And the engine can handle bot gently caress fests.

But its pretty hard to play on a console that had reach at the time.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

RARE's magnum OPUS. No debate.

https://twitter.com/pr0spector88/status/483814625964589056

Perfect Dark was insanely ahead of its time when it released on the N64. Utilizing the memory pak expansion, it had fully voiced dialogue, a loving ton of missions (way more than Goldeneye) alternate fire weapon modes, an insanely deep combat simulator (which could enable you to add up to loving 8 bots to a single game, stacked on top of FOUR local players) Of course, this was laggy as gently caress, but hell, you could do it. This was the era when having reloading animations onscreen was bonkers and every single weapon had a unique reloading animation.

The number and variety of simulant bots was astonishing. The statistics the game kept track of was mind blowing. poo poo like rounds fired per gun, accuracy, kills, melee kills, everything u could ever want and more.

It had a loving insanely good Co-op mode and an even cooler and unmatched Counter-Co-op mode where your buddy or you could take control of one of the NPCs in the level and try to stop the main player from finishing it. You had suicide pills to force a respawn if the main character got too far ahead of you.

Perfect Dark made Goldeneye look like dogshit. It had a lot of the same kinds of features, like disarming if you shot a guy's hand that was holding a gun. Enemies would run for new guns if they dropped theirs to reclaim some power.

It had almost all the best Goldeneye maps, including Facility. You could completely customize your avatar and character, as well as the bot characters and make monsters like Dark Sims who would open doors backwards, with the shortest character's body and a normal sized human head to make them terrifyingly deadly. There were 18 different bot types you can utilize, and some of them were just gimmicky. Meatsims had essentially anti-auto-aim. You could issue commands to the bots if they were on your team. And you could have like, eight teams in a single game. Gimmicky stuff like having simulants who only pursue players that just killed them, bots who only collect weapons and don't kill anyone, bots who only pursue the highest scoring player, etc.

The number of weapons was off the hook. Including a submachine gun that you could throw as a stationary turret that kept track of how much ammo it had when you threw it down. Fly-By-Wire rocket launchers let you guide your missiles exactly where you wanted, something I literally haven't seen outside of one of the later batman games with the batarang.

N-Bombs were insane and maybe bugged in the sense that the dizzy-damage effect persisted through death. The gametypes were refreshing and just different enough to be really interesting. An early version of Halos Juggernaut, a varied King of the Hill, and Hacker Central which was essentially a kind of central bomb objective game type.

RARE never made another game nearly as deep, good and insanely awesome as Perfect Dark 64. Microsoft bought Rare out shortly after the Xbox came out and they languished. You could argue Banjo Kazooie perfected 3D platforming in that generation of games.

Perfect Dark suffered on the n64 because it literally pushed the system to its absolute limits. You can see this if you load up a decent sized multiplayer map and push maximum bots. The fact that you could even play with bots was ridiculous. It was ahead of its time, and it is still one of my absolute favorite games I ever played. I played a gently caress ton of it when I was in middle school early elementary school with my best friend at the time, and I still have my gamepak with boxing tape over the back and my name written on it to distinguish it from his copy.

I understand a lot of the developers that worked on Perfect Dark and Goldeneye 64 moved on to make a couple TimeSplitter games. Those were also very loving excellent, but even with the level editor and map generation, and zombie modes, it couldn't compete with Halo after it released.

My absolute favorite memories of Perfect Dark was playing with my buddy on Facility against a Darksim we made we called "little evil", as he had the body of an alien and joanna's head (to make headshots more difficult) and his pursuit was relentless and his aim was perfect. We were hiding out in the back of the Facility map where (in goldeneye, it turned into the labs right after the two split off rooms with the generators)

I was hiding and my buddy was coming, with the darksim in fast pursuit, and I opened the slowly sliding door and as I did, he yelled as a crossbow bolt splintered his characters head and killed him. I switched my Super Dragon to grenade launcher mode and unleashed a volley into the corridor and killed the darksim, for now.

Skedar tech and the Alien weapons were loving sick. Switching the Callisto to high impact rounds would over penetrate doors and allow you to get insane kill streaks. Beating the final level required a perfect and precise use of the falcon pistol, where I trained my trigger finger to unleash a whole clip into a skedar within a couple seconds to kill it.

I will fight anyone who claims that Halo 4's Forerunner guns aren't inspired by Perfect Dark's alien gun tech.

gently caress, disguises and other tech in the game was just insanely good, even if it wasn't necessarily ground breaking.

When they released the xbox 360 arcade update to it, I never spent 10 dollars faster in my entire life.

:yeah:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Oh yeah the X-ray gun that auto targeted and shot through all the walls in a level. The farsight. Lol

they put it in the game to stop camping lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like that it's an alt fire mode. You can just over penetrate walls in normal mode too I think.

I still like the Callisto orb reload animation.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i love it too. all n-bomb matches ftw

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

this was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen when I played Perfect Dark for the first time and heck, I'm not sure anything has ever matched it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The second coolest thing about this game is that you didnt need the memory expansion to play the multiplayer

• Locked thread