Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
February 23, 1986

The VASCU section in the Albany FBI branch office is not large--just a few agents, all relatively new to the Bureau, never mind to the area. The director, Martin Greene, is not entirely pleased to have to give over space and resources to what he calls "the spook squad," and has made his displeasure clear in all his dealings with you.

Thus, it's a bit of a surprise when he calls the lot of you to a meeting room.

"All right," he says by way of preamble, "we've had a call from the sheriff of Howe--and I'd be surprised if you'd ever heard of the place. Middle of nowhere, nothing ever happens there. Till now, anyway. They've had some kind of nasty murder, and the sheriff seemed to feel that it was out of his league, so he's called us--and I'm sending you, based on the details of the crime." He pauses, taking a deep breath.

"Seems someone's been torn limb from limb out there. Literally torn, according to the autopsy details. And, well..." Greene looks pale as he slides a photograph down the table towards you. "As you can see from the photograph, there's bruising on the body consistent with being grabbed by a human. Not a wild animal."

He sighs. "So, I'm sending you out there. This looks like the kind of thing your division is set up to deal with, after all. Any questions?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SA Levi Montgomery

"Director." Levi picks up one of the photos, looking it over. Gruesome, certainly... "Only one body so far? No other attacks?" That'll make the killer's actions harder to predict. "Any ligature marks - rope, chain, maybe?"

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 23, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Agent Hector Amundsen

Hector purses his lips at the photograph. That's "ripped apart" alright. He swallows hard and preempts the bile he can feel percolating at the back of his throat. The mints in his coat pocket come out soon after, on offer to anyone who needs one.

"Was the body found in any particular arrangement or orientation? Any deliberate placement of objects or personal effects nearby? Ah, was the entire body collected as far as Howe forensics could tell? I hate to be morbid, but if we're thinking this has serial potential we should get all parts accounted for."

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

SA Vanessa Chambers

The dismissive attitude the director has always had about the "spook squad" annoys Vanessa, but she keeps a smile on her face and a pleasant tone in her voice nonetheless, today and all the other times. Maybe she'd get to replace him some day.

"We'll handle it, Director," she says. "Aside from what my colleagues have already asked, I would like to know who found the body, as well as any close personal relationships the victim may have had. Knowing the kinds of people we'll be dealing with in our investigation is essential."

Orbs fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 24, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Probationary Agent Elizabeth Blake

Elizabeth is in the back of the group, a yellow legal pad out as she takes notes, glancing up when the other Agents chime in. Her black pantsuit and pulled back, conservative hair are so studiously boring that she works for the government is obvious from a hundred yards.

She frowns slightly, suspecting the Director has already told them everything he cared to know about the case, and that he has little interest in making their lives any easier. Her eyes flick towards the senior agent, then back to her pad. The unit really does need her help if this is typical of its handling of agency politics.

Speaking of which - probably best she keep her peace. Ruffling feathers within the team is not the way to start her assignment.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Special Agent Robin Thompson

"Are there any other local cases, historically, that match the M.O.?", Robin says as she leans back, without looking at the pictures right away. She rubs a temple with a fingertip, sighing. "Or should I start digging through the files myself?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

SA Jacob Payne

Jacob has seen some fairly grisly crime scenes in person, and a mere photograph is unable to do more than cause him to lift an eyebrow.

"Hmm. A local sheriff calling the FBI in on a single murder no matter how...extreme, is very unusual. Local law enforcement are never happy to see us, let alone be required to request our assistance. If you have no further information we should leave immediately, before whatever evidence hasn't already been destroyed gets trampled on."

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 27, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"No ligature marks," says Greene in response to Levi. "Just the hands, according to the autopsy. You can see there in the photo how the body was found--the local sheriff isn't a rank incompetent--apparently he used to be NYPD before heading back to Howe to take the job of sheriff there. You'll find he's more welcoming than most. Good question about the whole body--left arm wasn't found. Not sure about who found it, you'll have to ask when you get there." He pauses, taking a drag from his cigarette.

"Nothing in the file we got sent about historical crimes. I suggest you check the Howe archives when you arrive. I've arranged for you to take a couple of station wagons from the motor pool for the duration of this job, and booked you rooms at Howe's hotel. Basically all the rooms, actually."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

SA Hector Amundsen

Hector scratches at an itch behind his ear while Greene answers the group's questions. The bit about the missing arm could be something, or it could be nothing. Hopefully the latter. It all depended on where and how the body was disposed of and discovered. Maybe they'd be lucky and a pack of stray dogs just walked off with it.

"Thanks for the information, director. First stop, Howe Sheriff's Department and Morgue. We'll deliver on this." After the others have finished their inquiries, Hector cracks a smile. "I'm driving."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SA Levi Montgomery

Levi nods and makes a note. "Takes a lot of force to rip a body apart like this...we'll need to talk to the ME about whether the victim was alive during the dismemberment..." He pauses, shivering slightly. "...though I hope to Hell he wasn't. My first guess is that this isn't sexual, though, unless there's some fetishistic significance to the missing left arm. Which I won't rule out yet, of course. Still...playing the odds, we're looking at a male perpetrator. Probably Caucausian."

Pause.

"Which narrows us down to slightly less than 50% of the population of upstate New York. The strength required to do this, though, will help us narrow it down more."

He grins, standing.

"We're going to need two cars. Wouldn't be polite to force the ladies to cram themselves in with the three of us, Amundsen. But hey, good news - I have a new tape prepared for the drive." Pause. "How far away is Howe, anyway?"

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

SA Vanessa Chambers

"It's nice to know the local law enforcement might not get in our way on this one, at least. I wonder if I know him, actually." She shrugs. "Well, we'll see. I have no other questions that won't be answered by going there. Any further instructions for us, Director?"

Vanessa also takes a moment to study the photograph in detail. Scene analysis isn't her specialty, but she might pick up something the others missed. Plus, as experienced as she is, she hasn't encountered a lot of cases this gory. Best to start inoculating herself as soon as possible.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

SA Jacob Payne

Jacob has no further questions for the director at this time.

"I have no further questions at this time, Director."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Robin says, "Polite, huh.", before looking to the director as she starts to stand. "Well, Payne's right, we should get moving. I don't have further questions- at this time." She puts on her hat and glasses, stuffing her hands in her jacket pockets. "Let's have a chat with our victim."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

SA Hector Amundsen

"I think the ladies can ride where they want to, Levi. I hope your tape's good, or you'll be listening to 2112 and Moving Pictures the whole way there and back."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Levi

"Hey, they want to share the backseat with someone squeezed in the middle..."

Levi shrugs.

"Anyway, trust me, it's good. I made a mix tape out of Holy Diver - you know, the new album Ronnie James Dio put out a few years ago after he left Black Sabbath? - some Iron Maiden from their live album last year, some ZZ Top, Slayer and Metallica, and some songs from a new band I've found recently - Megadeth. They just made their debut album last year. Holy Diver's the standout, though."

Despite being a clean-cut, pretty Southern boy, Levi's been a metalhead for a while, originally because it pissed his parents off immensely.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Blake

Despite her own thoughts earlier, Blake rolls her eyes at Levi and Hector. "I'm not sure who's riding with whom, but I do know two people who aren't going to be in charge of the radio." She collects her notepad and pen and gives the Director a respectful nod as she gets ready to go.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Levi

"Hey now, I have a sister, I'm not afraid to fight a lady for the radio."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Hector

"Oh come on. It's common practice that the Driver gets control of the music. Everyone knows that!"

OOC Edit: Feel free to move us along any time.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The drive out to Howe is just long enough that Levi's tape has to repeat a couple songs -- assuming he's allowed to put it in the tape deck in the first place. Greene, as promised, provides you with a pair of station wagons from the motor pool for the duration.

Howe itself is not a very large town - a sign proudly proclaims the population to be about a thousand people. Minus one, now. The sheriff's office isn't hard to find--it's on the main drag, a little bit further up the road from the rather ostentatious building marked as the town hall. Once the cars are parked, you make your way inside.

A startled-looking deputy looks up as you all file inside--he's a hefty looking fellow. With a build like his he could have been a linebacker, but the paunch and the complete lack of muscle definition give lie to that supposition. Must either be slim pickings, a recent recruit, or not a lot of crime around here. A name tag on his chest reads "Humbert"

"Oh, um, I--Sheriff Amundsen's in his office right now--I'll let him know you're here--" stammers Deputy Humbert. "Um, you're the FBI team, right?"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

SA Hector Amundsen

Hector flashes an easy smile, and digs out his badge. "That's right. Special Agent Hector Amundsen - no relation to your Sheriff. Small world, isn't it? I'm sure we'll be asking for your help getting around town."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

SA Jacob Payne

"Deputy. Don't worry about letting the Sheriff know, we can show ourselves in."

Is the Deputy nervous because the room is full of FBI, or does he have something else to hide?

Wits + Empathy (Scrutinizing Humbert): 5d10o9 57 [5d10o9=6, 6, 23, 15, 7]

hosed up my dice syntax, but that looks like 3 hits.

tried with correct syntax: Wits + Empathy (Scrutinizing Humbert) (syntax): 5d10o9h8 1

I dunno, use whatever.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Humbert, if anything, seems nervous based entirely off being a nervous sort of person.

"Oh, uh, sure, yeah. I don't think there's lots of town to be shown around, but..."

Humbert is spared the need for further conversation by the sheriff emerging from his office. Sheriff Amundsen is an older man, with iron grey hair, and a serious expression. Where Humbert is chunky and awkward, Amundsen seems more graceful and powerful. He also seems significantly more collected than his deputy.

"Sheriff Morley Amundsen," he says, shaking each of your hands in turn. "I take it you're the feds? You'll want to get right to business, I expect. I'll take you out to the crime scene, first--aside from collecting the, ah, remains, and a bit of vomit from poor Humbert, it's as pristine as I could manage to keep it. The remains, well, they've got them in the morgue--I figure they'll keep more than the crime site. Never know who's going to get curious and go poking around in a town like Howe. 'Course, that's just how I figure it--you're officially in charge of the case, and if you have a different plan in mind, just let me know."

He seems calm and easygoing, though quite professional.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Levi

"Pleasure to meet you, Sheriff. I'm Special Agent Levi Montgomery, and these are SAs Payne, Chambers, Thompson and Amundsen, no relation, and Probationary Agent Blake." He pulls out his badge to verify that, then puts it back. "I understand this is probably the first time you've had to deal with anything even approaching this. Howe's a law-abiding town, I take it? Corralling drunks, keeping the local hothead from hurting his wife, kids getting into trouble, that kind of thing? I grew up in a town like that."

He takes out his notebook and glances through it. "For now, what you've done seems pretty good. Secured the body, kept the scene pristine as best you can. We plan to work with you as long as you make it possible for us - we're not here to cause any problems for you. You know this town far better than we do, after all. What can you tell us about the place? I know we've got the Caverns under the hotel...did some reading before we came, after all. I hope we get a chance to see them at some point, but the case'll be taking most of our time. You ever have any trouble with kids in the caves?"

[02:15.20] <MorsRattus> .roll 6d10
[02:15.21] <skybot> MorsRattus: 39 (6d10=8, 10, 4, 2, 6, 9)
[02:15.24] <MorsRattus> .roll 1d10
[02:15.26] <skybot> MorsRattus: 10 (1d10=10)
[02:15.28] <MorsRattus> .roll 1d10
[02:15.28] <skybot> MorsRattus: 3 (1d10=3)

4 sux on Int+Academics to know about Howe Caverns and poo poo.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 29, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

SA Hector Amundsen

Hector gives a firm handshake as the Sheriff makes his rounds.

"Happy to make your acquaintance, Sheriff. We're here to help. Before we get to the crime scene, can you tell us if this has gone public yet? How was the body discovered?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Robin has her own Walkman recorder and headphones to isolate her on the way. Big, clunky headphones, too. "I'll be getting to know you all more than enough later."

By the time they're at the police station, though, she's instead using it to record. And not, like, secretly or anything. Just doing that. "Who was the first to discover the body, and who was the first to report it?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

SA Jacob Payne

Jacob tries to place Amundsen's face as he shakes his hand. The NYPD is a large organization and it's plausible they've never met - but if they have, it would be helpful to remember the circumstances. Or maybe there's some other reason an officer would 'retire' to play sheriff in a backwoods tourist trap?

"Sheriff. I'm Special Agent Payne. As my colleagues have said, I think we should view the crime scene before any remaining evidence has a chance to degrade."

Remembering Sheriff Amundsen (Int/Com): 6d10o10h8 6

memory like a steel trap

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 30, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Blake

Blake has her legal pad out again, taking notes again. "Do you want us all to examine the crime scene, Agent Payne, or should some of us examine the body while the rest do that?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

SA Jacob Payne

Jacob shakes his head very subtly in response to Blake's question.

"No, the corpse is unlikely to get up and move around and with our limited manpower I want all eyes on the crime scene."

He's secretly delighted to be deferred to - he may have some dubious level of seniority, but the Director didn't appoint him Acting Special Agent in Charge. Probably deliberately, he glumly considers.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"We've been keeping this under wraps as much as we can," says Sheriff Amundsen, "but in a small town like this word's bound to get out. So far, most of the town just knows there's been a murder." He glances to Humbert. "We'll be taking the van, I think--you hold down the fort."

As everyone piles into the van marked as belonging the sheriff's department, he continues. "Old Nick Rasmussen found the body, out in the scrapyard. I keep telling him he needs to get a guard dog for that place. Maybe this time, he'll listen. The victim was Dylan Thompson--worked at the butcher's shop, when he was sober enough to work. No idea what he was doing in the scrapyard. We get teenagers in there all the time, and Old Nick complains about it, but like I said..."

He shakes his head. "That reminds me--yeah, we get trouble with the kids trying to break into the caves, sometimes, but they've been shut down for a bit for safety reasons, so I'm afraid the tour isn't running, Special Agent Montgomery."

The van pulls up on the outskirts of town, in front of a small shack with a rusty fence. An old Edsel sits just outside the fence, rusting away, and within--beyond a sign painted with NO TRESPASSING in white paint on rusted metal--there appears to be a junkyard of other old cars and appliances. Police tape marks the area off as a crime scene, though it's anyone's guess whether this has been more effective than the painted sign at deterring unwanted guests. An old man sits on the porch, a bottle of beer by his side, several empties cluttering the ground next to him.

"This is the place," says the Sheriff. "Old Nick there found the body and reported it. I'll introduce you, if you like, or however you want to do this."

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

SA Vanessa Chambers

"Does Mr. Thompson have any relations in town?" she asks. "Close friends, family, people like that. We may need to speak to them too. For now, please introduce us to Mr. Rasmussen. Come to think of it, I'd suggest two of us conduct the interview, while the rest examine the scene. How about you and I talk to him, Blake?" If you're going to be deferring to anyone here, it should be to me, Vanessa adds to herself, though her tone is still perfectly pleasant and professional. Still, she does also genuinely think Elizabeth's skills would be put to good use in that task.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

SA Hector Amundsen

Hector feels his heart beat in his chest with anticipation as they reach the crime scene. The others are already starting to discuss the best way to divide the work. Alright, Hector. Here's your big chance to impress the poster-children with your skills.

"Thanks, Vanessa, but I think I can handle this, if you don't mind. I'm sure he's aching for someone to talk to."

With a little wave of his hand over his shoulder, Hector walks ahead of the group despite Agent Chamber's strategizing. When he reaches Nick, he clears a spot for himself amidst the bottles with his foot, next to the drunken man. Old Nick barely has a chance to look up before Hector starts talking at and over him.

"Hey there. Nick, right? My name's Hector, Hector Amundsen - no relation to Morley over there. My friends and I are here from the FBI to sort things out here in Howe." Out comes the badge, flipping almost faster than Nick can see in his state. "I understand that you're the one who found Dylan." He places a hand on Nick's shoulder. "drat, I'm sorry that you had to go through that, Nick. If you want to just tell me what happened, and what you saw, it would be a huge help. You don't even need to put down your drink. Really, with what you've seen, I don't blame you for knocking a few back, right?"

Hector doesn't even notice Nick bristling at his treatment until it's too late.

Earn the Trust of Old Nick: 3d10o10h8 0 (2,1,1)
OOC: Turning this to a dramatic failure for a Beat. Hector thinks he's coming off as smooth and eager to help, but it just seems insincere and patronizing instead.

Edit: Added a little more flavor with MollyMetroid's permission.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 31, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SA Levi Montgomery

Levi trusts the rest of the team to handle the talking here. He prefers to interview suspects rather than witnesses, for the most part. And so, he trusts Amundsen to handle Nick. This may turn out to have been an absolutely terrible idea. It probably is. Levi does not notice.

Instead, he begins to pace the scene. He talks, but it's mostly to himself.

"...if I'm the killer, what do I do...this place is a mess. Did I make the kill here, or did I transport the body..."

He closes his eyes, taking a deep whiff of the junkyard.

"...I'm comfortable here, either way. The sounds and smells don't bother me. I know this place well enough to drop a body without being seen. Maybe even make the kill...and my kill's messy."

His mind opens up, reaching out. The scene speaks to him. The killer's thoughts bubble up in his mind.

"I'm strong. I like to overpower my victim. I get up in their face. This is personal. Or I think it is. I'm very emotional...very angry. There's a deep well of rage in me, because if there wasn't...I wouldn't tear them apart with my bare hands. Why am I so angry at my victim...mm. First, figure out whether I killed him here or not. If I didn't, then I'm not just angry, I'm methodical...I have a second site, a killzone, and this is my dump. If this is the kill site, maybe I think a little less, react a little more..."

Levi's eyes open again, and he squats down to examine the soil, then begins to pace again. A deeper understanding of the scene, thinking as he is now, will surely answer some of those questions.

Activating Mind of a Madman. Levi's not gonna sleep well for a while now.

But hey: Int+Investigation, spending a WP, and all 8-again because I am Minding it up.

[03:12.28] <MorsRattus> .roll 9d10
[03:12.29] <skybot> MorsRattus: 54 (9d10=10, 8, 3, 4, 2, 9, 5, 7, 6)
[03:12.39] <MorsRattus> .roll 3d10
[03:12.40] <skybot> MorsRattus: 5 (3d10=1, 2, 2)

3 succeses.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SA Levi Montgomery

And Molly has provided me with answers.

"...no. No, I'm not angry, am I? I'm...deliberate, in a way. I made the kill here, but I was very definite in my ritual. I chose my victim. I prepared for this. I took the arm. I didn't do that out of pure spite or rage..."

Levi nods, then pulls out his notebook, heading over to the others.

"Well, good news. We're not looking for a second kill site, at least not yet. This was the killzone as well as the dump. The kill was...deliberate, I'd even say methodically planned. This was ritualized, not personal. The victim was chosen deliberately, but there are no signs of rage. I thought the level of violence indicated that at first, but I think it speaks more to a...lack of control. Once the killer begins, he finds it hard to stop, like...a berserker. The killer knows the area well and chose this site with care. We're looking at a local, definitely. Someone who knows the junkyard. We'll want a list of any staff here, and anyone who's in the area a lot."

Pause.

"...and we'll want a full background check on our new friend. I'll get started on that when I can get to a phone, if you can get me a copy of his license, birth certificate or social security card, Sherriff." He's taking pains to be quiet, so that Nick doesn't hear. Not that Nick can probably hear much but Amundsen. "Beyond that... the arm was taken deliberately as well. .There will be a secondary location to store the body parts. Possibly refrigerated. Do you have a lot of hunters around here?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Old Nick bristles and glares. "Already talked to the sheriff," he declares. "You think I want to think about that poo poo any more, friend?" He hurls the bottle away, standing up. "You do what you need to do, but you leave me alone."

The sheriff frowns. "Old Nick's no suspect. No way is he strong enough to do that to a man. There's plenty of folk around who hunt, I guess..."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SA Levi Montgomery

"I just want to rule him out, sheriff. Frankly, I'd be surprised if you could think of someone who was strong enough to tear someone limb from limb with their bare hands. Given that...well, we need to check everyone who fits the profile out - and the profile's of someone who knows this junkyard well. I think our perpetrator is a hunter, too, because that would give him an excuse to have a big icebox - somewhere to store the arm. ...actually, that's a good way to rule Nick out. Does he hunt?"

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 2, 2016

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

SA Vanessa Chambers

"Amundsen, a word, please?" Vanessa takes Hector by his arm and half-drags him a couple feet away. She flashes a reassuring smile to everyone else, then huddles up with him. "You're a great agent, Hector. You have a lot of valuable skills and good drive. I know this may have been different when you were... working solo, but we need to work together when conducting interviews. One of us could have picked up that that was the wrong tactic to take and smoothed things over before he got that upset. I respect your initiative, but try to remember that next time, alright?"

She hates having to sugarcoat her criticism like that, especially with someone who had just casually brushed her off moments before, but she swallows her anger and speaks calmly. Years of working with prickly cops has taught her no other way.

"Anyway," she says as she rejoins the group, "even if Mr. Rasmussen isn't a suspect, he might be able to recall some information that we wouldn't be able to find at the crime scene. I know he said he already talked to you, and I'm sure your questioning was more than fine, but sometimes details can get lost in the reports and in one person's memory. Plus, we're trained for cases like these. We can ask questions you might not have considered. Collectively." She adds, looking back at Hector. "Please, Sheriff, if you could smooth things over with him, we would greatly appreciate it."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

SA Hector Amundsen

Hector takes Vanessa's admonishment quietly. It feels like he's getting scolded by his mother; worse than just getting chewed out. He'd jumped into the investigation blind, and landed on the rocks.

"Yeah, right. I'll just...wait and see what else there is to do here."

Stupid.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

SA Jacob Payne

Jacob detaches from the little knot of agents and begins scouring the crime scene for whatever tiny details may have been overlooked. If the murder took place in the scrapyard, how did the victim get here? Under their own power, voluntarily?

Investigation (Crime Scene): 6d10o9h8 2

"Amundsen, stop feeling sorry for yourself and help me look around. You've chased plenty of people - how would you make sure someone ran to ground here, if you had to?"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

SA Hector Amundsen

Hector looks around the scrapyard, and considers its qualities. Somewhat isolated, plenty of cover from prying eyes - plenty of places to stash a body, although it seemed that the killer didn't perhaps care about that so much if Nick stumbled upon the corpse by just ambling about.

"Either the victim was drawn out here by someone he knew, or he was spooked and was trying to get distance or lose someone. Or he was an regular scavenger and got unlucky, but it sounds like he wasn't much of a tinkerer. Ah, just a sec."

Hector heads back over to the Sheriff's car. Without asking, he opens up the driver's side and pokes through the door pocket. A local map is laid out over the hood of the car shortly thereafter. Hector starts to trace routes to and from the scrapyard, starting from the Butcher Shop. With a little bit of insight, maybe Dylan's likely path to the scrapyard would become apparent, and the agents could figure out where some possible witnesses were.

Determine a Likely Route by the Victim (Wits+Streetwise): 4d10o9h8 2
9-again on streetwise as an Asset Skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rolling her eyes at Nick, one might be thankful that Robin wears classes as she shoulders her investigative bag, following in Payne's lead. Crouching, she takes a look at the scene, and though she's looking for evidence, more than that, she's trying to focus on the unseen, find blood and evidence traces hidden to the naked eye.

Anything other than interviewing civilians.

Got 2 successes on Wits + Science (Forensics) with a Willpower spent.

• Locked thread