Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

[Thanks to my good friend AbstractCactus for the banner image!]

Gungrave is a 2002 third-person shooter game for Playstation 2. It’s most notable for having character designs by Yasuhiro Nightow (creator of Trigun and Blood Blockade Battlefront) and mechanical designs by Kosuke Fujishima (creator of You’re Under Arrest and Ah! My Goddess, character designer for the Sakura Wars series and the Tales series), which helped to give the game its distinct art style. It was prominent enough to receive both a 26-episode anime adaptation and a sequel game, Gungrave: Overdose.

Gungrave is about a reanimated mercenary named Beyond the Grave, who is contracted to take down the Millennion Organization, also known as the Syndicate. The city is overrun with crime, in part thanks to Millennion and its spread of a drug known as Seed. However, cleaning up the streets isn’t the only goal Grave has in mind while blasting his way through the Syndicate’s bigwigs…

The game is a little odd because it plays more like a character action game than a shooter. The focus isn’t really on precise shooting and slower progression as much as it’s about racking up sweet combos in crazy firefights before setting off ridiculous super moves for high scores. It definitely feels clunkier than some of the higher profile games of the era, but it has a lot of style and a couple of nice features that help to keep the experience fresh and exciting.

I’m ChorpSaway and I’m not very good at video games, but I will do my best to show off competent gameplay for this weird but interesting series. Plus I have been revived into a blood pact with FutureFriend that requires me to do this. Running and gunning along with me are TheJayOfSpade, Hobotron, and FutureFriend. Together we’ll mow down everyone in our path and do our best to have a bit of fun as we take down drug culture and big business.

I will be playing through both Gungrave and Gungrave: Overdose on the Hard difficulty because I’m not nearly enough of a badass for Kick-rear end difficulty, but just enough of a badass to not play on Normal. I also have plans for covering the anime and its exclusive material.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Second post reserved for something later maybe!

Gaiza
Aug 19, 2013

You talk about redefining my identity. I want a guarantee that I can still be myself.
I'm so looking forward to this. Let's go beyond the grave.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh my God, Grave's posture is SO bad!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
So what's the difference between a character action game and an action game? I've never heard that term before.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

EasilyConfused posted:

So what's the difference between a character action game and an action game? I've never heard that term before.

This seems to be one of those things the internet at large can't make a distinction on, but when I say "character action game" I think of games like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta where your performance in levels is tied to your character's progression, and so the gameplay focus is more on high combos and technical combat.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I did not expect Grave to be a large cowboy with a hunchback and a very tiny head.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Man this game looks rad as hell. Its pretty much every cliche from the early 2000s that I love.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah, 14 year old me would have thought this game looked rad as hell. I would never have drawn anything else.

14 year old me posted:

He's got a trench-coat, and a cowboy hat, and his holster is shaped like a coffin, with a weird cross on it, and it's chained to his upper arms! This is the ultimate poo poo!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Do you ever have to reload? Or anything other than hold down the trigger when you see enemies?

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

White Coke posted:

Do you ever have to reload? Or anything other than hold down the trigger when you see enemies?

There's no reloading as a game mechanic, no. But it's not quite as easy as just holding down a trigger, because it's a non-automatic weapon. I am jamming the poo poo out of the shoot button to make those bullets rain.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Another ex-14 year old who loved everything about this game.

Though I never did get far, last I recall is being on top of like a church? Anyway, can't wait.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love everything about this game and the anime.

Yes, everything :colbert:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This game has some cool tunes but it's weird how you almost never hear them.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ChorpSaway posted:

There's no reloading as a game mechanic, no. But it's not quite as easy as just holding down a trigger, because it's a non-automatic weapon. I am jamming the poo poo out of the shoot button to make those bullets rain.

Thank you for sacrificing your fingers for us.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Feed the combo skull like the murderous hungry hungry hippo that it is.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Good luck - I'm no video game master myself, but this was one of the titles I grew frustrated playing and ultimately gave up in one of the later stages. Hopefully you'll fare better.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I watched the anime before knowing it was a game first. I liked the anime.

"Beat" looks like "Dent" in the video. That's not just me, right?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
^ I'm in the same boat and agree with both of your statements, though I haven't seen the show in a few years so maybe I'd have a difference of opinion on a rewatch (that will not happen)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I too remember the anime being great when I was a teenager. I will carefully avoid ever seeing it again.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 25, 2016

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

"Beat" looks like "Dent" in the video. That's not just me, right?

That's just what happened between playing and recording, I think it has something to do with interlacing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, Reaper's early history is a lot more colorful than I was expecting.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
You know, between this and Asura's Wrath, I've got two LPs of games I should/want to replay. If only I had a working PS2 still.

EDIT: I forget, I think it's L3 or something, but there's a faster move option that still lets you shoot. Obviously, doesn't move as fast as the run does. And reflecting isn't until Overdose.

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 25, 2016

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, we're off to Chinatown on an anonymous tip that the Syndicate bigwigs are having a meeting there. However, they seem to have filled the entire area with soldiers meant to get in our way, so it's time for big trouble in little China for Grave as we get our first proper boss fight!

Also because I'm an idiot I did find out that there are volume controls hidden in the menu, but I feel like this is the most authentic way to experience the game. And anyways I already recorded all of the gameplay.

FH_Meta posted:

And reflecting isn't until Overdose.

No wonder it never worked when I tried in the first game!! It's really easy to get the two games' different mechanics mixed up when you're playing them back-to-back for practice.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What's Gungrave's favorite board game?

Shoots and Ladders

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

ChorpSaway posted:

No wonder it never worked when I tried in the first game!! It's really easy to get the two games' different mechanics mixed up when you're playing them back-to-back for practice.

In the past, I've manged to get that confused a few times after months apart. Never quite did manage to 100% either one.

Now if only I could remember the (useless on higher difficulties) invincibility move for Overdose. Or if it was also in the original.

EDIT: I want to say that the white skinned mooks do jump around in later levels, but it's generally in places less wide open, so it matters much less. Also, show off your speed-tapping!

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 1, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What's Gungrave's favorite board game?

Shoots and Ladders

If only he didn't have to spend so much time rifling around the couch for missing pieces

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why the hell are Thin Men suddenly a new enemy type in this game?

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, during a routine maintenance check on Beyond the Grave, Dr. T's facility is attacked, and Mika gets kidnapped! With the doctor currently out of commission, it's up to Grave to chase the odd kidnappers down and get Mika back! However, it seems that someone from the Syndicate with a grudge against Grave has other plans...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Godamnit doc you had one thing to do and that was to not set off YOUR MASSIVE loving DEATH FLAGS

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Y'know, sometimes, during the long shooty corridors I start to think "This is kinda a boring game outside of the aesthetics" and then something like that scene at the end of the train will happen and i'm back to being a goddamn Gungrave Superfan.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I don't know why, but this game reminds me a lot of Killer7.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I don't remember if it changes on higher difficulties, but I do seem to recall that the first life restore only takes off one skull from whatever you should get based on your ending life. It's second one that really tanks it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Y'know, sometimes, during the long shooty corridors I start to think "This is kinda a boring game outside of the aesthetics" and then something like that scene at the end of the train will happen and i'm back to being a goddamn Gungrave Superfan.

Same, but I just stay cautiously supportive of Chorps' videogame choices- thanks to the forbidden justu of the Uchiha clan, Izanami!- but it kinda seems to work out.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Chorps is an izanami based hell playing anime games for the internet until he recognizes his faults and changes.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Chorps is an izanami based hell playing anime games for the internet until he recognizes his faults and changes.

im just gonna break this fairytale down and say he will never change

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The only way to escape the cycle of anime suffering is to abandon all worldly anime desires.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

What're you guys talking about, there's nothing I'd need to change about anything. My game collection is f-

o-oh

FH_Meta posted:

I don't remember if it changes on higher difficulties, but I do seem to recall that the first life restore only takes off one skull from whatever you should get based on your ending life. It's second one that really tanks it.

Huh, it's possible I've just never made it out of a level where I healed in which I didn't do it multiple times, but I could've sworn that it just was a huge immediate penalty. Either way, I don't think I was gonna get a good life score there regardless.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
But who sacrificed their Sharingan to put Chorps into Izanami?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'll have you know that Gungrave is a smorgasbord of incredible names.

• Locked thread