Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«193 »
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I thought the best decks were Yetis and Sacrifice, my worst runs were 1-3 with both weapons and butts,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Finished up my 5 event runs

Big Butts 0-3

Mind Link 7-2

MadScraps 7-0

Yetis 7- 1

Knucklebones 1-3

Currently 217, had a decent amount of fun. Certain decks are too good and others are very durdly and bad if they don't hit their theme. They could have balanced the decks a bit more I feel.

Might go back and play the last two decks for the complete experience.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

ShaneB posted:

Play the 40 unit rakano deck. It's insane. I'm at like 32-8 with it in masters.
Been a while since I saw rakano without pants but yeah I'm down

My D3 meta was all the variations of icaria.deck and that jund deck sucks real hard against that

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Mind Link felt okay if you just hard mull for Cirso or Magus. Turn 6 Magus + evolve is pretty strong. I think I would've done better with it if I didn't get matched up to the Bones deck three times in five matches, that felt like a really bad matchup since the deck really isn't suited to applying pressure before turn 5.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tin Tim posted:

Been a while since I saw rakano without pants but yeah I'm down

Commander is pretty much pants with legs.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Magus is a pretty bonkers card when you remove Torch from the game.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

Commander is pretty much pants with legs.

What is "pants" anyways? Do you mean Deepforged Plate or something?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

lazerwolf posted:

Finished up my 5 event runs

Big Butts 0-3

Mind Link 7-2

MadScraps 7-0

Yetis 7- 1

Knucklebones 1-3

Currently 217, had a decent amount of fun. Certain decks are too good and others are very durdly and bad if they don't hit their theme. They could have balanced the decks a bit more I feel.

Might go back and play the last two decks for the complete experience.

my final scores were:

scraps 7-1
big butts 6-3
mind link 5-3
yetis 1-3
knucklebones 4-3? or 5-3?
praxis 7-1

somehow going 7-1 with praxis dropped me from 200 something to 400 something

and yeah, my biggest issue with the event was all the decks were so all in on their gimmick that if you didn't draw into it all or your opponent had their singular silver bullet or whatever, they just completely fell apart

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Hauki posted:

my final scores were:

scraps 7-1
big butts 6-3
mind link 5-3
yetis 1-3
knucklebones 4-3? or 5-3?
praxis 7-1

somehow going 7-1 with praxis dropped me from 200 something to 400 something

and yeah, my biggest issue with the event was all the decks were so all in on their gimmick that if you didn't draw into it all or your opponent had their singular silver bullet or whatever, they just completely fell apart

well only your first 5 runs count towards your ranking so your praxis run won't count. It probably means there are other players who just did better than your first 5 runs

Hauki
May 11, 2010

lazerwolf posted:

well only your first 5 runs count towards your ranking so your praxis run won't count. It probably means there are other players who just did better than your first 5 runs

Oh, I definitely misunderstood, I swear someone told me it took your best five.
RIP.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Roluth posted:

Pants is just a term for equipment. Plate is the big one, but Hammer of Might, Shogun's Scepter, Morningstar, etc all get used to some extent.

You don't want a naked bird, throw some pants on it!

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Roluth posted:

weapons, e.g. shoguns scepter, hammer of might, deepforged plate

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Ugh today is just one of those bad game days I guess. Everyone played Rakano/Skycrag after I switched to that 40 unit Rak list and my win rate was even worse than before. I changed to an Icaria deck again and only got matched up against other Icaria/Makto decks. I was fed up at that point and switched to my Rak plate list from last season and at least made back the ground I lost before I called it quits. Though I'm tempted to cut plate right now and run a full suite of Soulfire. Also more Protects would be good but the space is very tight already.

ShaneB posted:

https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/det.../40-unit-rakano

I just keep winning with it. Went from like 1050 to 490 in masters with it over 45ish games.
Can you elaborate on how you played it and what the field for you was? Like did you mostly play against slow decks that fell to the tempo-curve? I just had no real success with the deck myself and it felt weird to play so maybe I'm missing something. It has very few ways to influence the board instantly and a 4/5 drop just stonewalls you if you didn't drew well. That was my biggest issue I think

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at Feb 18, 2018 around 19:30

ShaneB
Oct 21, 2002

Tin Tim posted:

Ugh today is just one of those bad game days I guess. Everyone played Rakano/Skycrag after I switched to that 40 unit Rak list and my win rate was even worse than before. I changed to an Icaria deck again and only got matched up against other Icaria/Makto decks. I was fed up at that point and switched to my Rak plate list from last season and at least made back the ground I lost before I called it quits. Though I'm tempted to cut plate right now and run a full suite of Soulfire. Also more Protects would be good but the space is very tight already.

Can you elaborate on how you played it and what the field for you was? Like did you mostly play against slow decks that fell to the tempo-curve? I just had no real success with the deck myself and it felt weird to play so maybe I'm missing something. It has very few ways to influence the board instantly and a 4/5 drop just stonewalls you if you didn't drew well. That was my biggest issue I think

It beats anything slow but yeah once people switch to faster decks things can get bad. I basically curve out and board swarm. Save silence for anything worthwhile as usual. It stomps most armory and feln if they don't have tons of removal.

Probably was good for a short period of time but maybe already people pivoted?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I ran that deck for about ~8 games today to win five for the daily quest. I swapped out soulfires for swords of icaria because I don't have the soulfires on hand, and they did some work. The extra removal, potentially hit by warcry, is great. It particularly helped in a couple of rakano mirrors where I just had more boys to throw into the fray than they did.

It's really one of those fast decks where if you haven't won by turn six or so, you're gonna run out of steam. I lost to a feln scream deck, an echo dinos deck, and a different rakano with more removal than I drew. I beat a chalice, a couple of rakanos I outran, and some other thing that just durdled a bit and died.

This was down in silver though, I imagine the field up at diamond would be different.

SN1987A
Feb 1, 2015

Big praxis is seriously great in the current meta, I'm 16-4 with it in top 100 masters.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

I did it! I played a Scourge of Frostholme against Temporal Distortion. Instant concede.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Urgh, finished the even with the Yeti deck, going 3-3, with both my last two matches at two power for the full game.

All in all, I guess I had fun, but good lord the deck design needs some work. Some decks are full of durdly garbage and only that, whereas others also have durdly garbage, but also constructed level midrange critters to steal games out of nowhere.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Yessssss I did it. Managed a 7-2 run with Conley's Unstable Mind, which is my favorite of the event decks because Mind Link, and Unstable Mutation. The last game was an extremely satisfying long game against the stonescar sac deck, which usually stomps Unstable Mind with ease.

I even managed to survive unstabling their Failed Reflection into something far worse for me, a Serasaur Bull. It threatened to kill my Mind Link, not to mention my face. But I had a Praxis Displacer in hand (created by earlier Mind Link plays), and used it to bounce the Bull. By the time they played the Bull again I, I had drawn enough power to play the Shimmerpack that was also in hand on the Displacer turn, so they never got to activate the Bull's relic hate.

re: ^^^ complaints about deck balance, one issue is that several decks require a lot of practice to play well. I have a leg up on Mind Link because I was stupid enough to put in I don't know how many hours playing constructed Mind Link, but most people playing in the event won't get enough games in to be able to maximize its (admittedly limited) potential. But I also kinda love that weird jank is getting some time in the sun. vOv

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

All in all, I did not like this event from a competitive perspective. On the other hand, one game I got to drop a Regression on their Talir with two Mind Links in play. The 5 was the Killer dino that gets bigger when something dies, and the 4 was the Minotaur that hands out unlimited +1/+1. They conceded pretty soon after that.

rumble in the bunghole
Feb 25, 2011

This Australia Day I would like to give thanks for a worldwide return to sanity, as demonstrated by President Trump, Brexit, Senators Hanson and Leyonhjelm, One Nation outpolling the Greens, and the the demodding of EM.

Not a good time to be a rabid leftist lol.

College Slice

The combrei deckís worst crime is that itís boring, you barely do anything since half your units donít have any attack and canít really be removed so you just flood and wait for one of the payoff cards. The xenan and knuck decks are fun even if they arenít super great.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

decided to play 1 game of echo makto before switching over to monster hunter. actually ran into a PJS makto player. spoiler 6/6 echo maktos won.

i wonder if he was running primal for nightfall cards or something. unfortunately i didnt see much other than a devastating setback and harsh rule. we both went straight to 5 and dropped maktos, traded, i dropped trailblazer and inspired into makto.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

There's a PJS Makto deck with Strix and that 0/5 aegis flyer. That deck list is pretty different though so you should've noticed the differences right away.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I'm loving this Stonescar Sacrifice deck. Madness + sacrifice is a fun combo that lets me swing with my opponent's units, and puts their cards into my void so they can't be reanimated. It also steals their Revenge procs! I just stole a Mystic Ascendent, popped their Empower, swung to kill a Friendly Wisp, then sacced them to Brimstone Altar. 3 power for a card and two kills! The one listed here is an anti-meta deck based around blocking Makto and Icaria, but what is a more general Stonescar Sacrifice deck?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Well I went 0-3 with Unstable Mind, 7-0 with Mad Scraps, 0-3 with Night Mask, 4-3 with Healthy Impact, 7-1 with Yetis. Got bumped out of the top 1000 by this point, boo.

rumble in the bunghole
Feb 25, 2011

This Australia Day I would like to give thanks for a worldwide return to sanity, as demonstrated by President Trump, Brexit, Senators Hanson and Leyonhjelm, One Nation outpolling the Greens, and the the demodding of EM.

Not a good time to be a rabid leftist lol.

College Slice

There's Scrappy Hour which is based around grenadins as fuel for a drawing engine and powerful units that refresh the board like Witching Hour and Gearcruncher. If you want a more general version of yours you can cut the high-end cards and replace them with Assembly lines and cheaper units that can block wider aggro stuff.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I run a really low-to-the-ground version with Ticking Grenadin, Slumbering Stone, Grenadin Drone and Dark Wisp as cheap stuff you can sacrifice, Shadowlands Guide and Memory Dredger to bring them back, and a full set of Combust, Devour and Brimstone Altar as sacrifice outlets.

Altar sacrificing Ticking Grenadin domes your opponent for 5, you can close out games out of nowhere just looping those.

Also, things get really absurd if you Quarry a Guide down to 2 cost.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Had a game against a black Icaria as feln. I hit four power and cast rain of frogs. Icaria was chosen.

He conceded immediately afterwards. It felt so good.

deftest
May 7, 2011

on stonescar sacrifice: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/det...75Fc/grendalins

This is mostly fire, with top-end (+quarry) in shadow. You get aggro hands with little grenadins, you get combo-control hands with stonescar scrapper. You get to madness+sac your opponents' revenge units. It's all great!

I tried the red modal spell in my first draft, because I would end up with a 20/20 scraptank on a stalled board and would have LOVED to have given him overwhelm. It didn't really do what I wanted it to do, though. Now that it hits relics as well as weapons, I might try it again.

I could also imagine going +1 Flamestoker. The combustion cells let you cast that bad boy on turn 4 sometimes, which control decks have very little to say about.

My flex card would be the dark returns... but those are really great to have to return your opponents' dudes (looking at you, unseen commando)

*edited to adjust magic terminology*

deftest fucked around with this message at Feb 20, 2018 around 19:21

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

How do you feel about Scrap Heap? Giving all your units charge feels really strong but it's hard finding the cuts to include it. I think it would be a 2 of at best.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

This is the last Grenadins style sac deck I've ran. Running out a Kaleb with a full board from Gearcruncher is hilarious

4 Combust (Set1 #392)
4 Grenadin Drone (Set1 #5)
2 Torch (Set1 #8)
4 Combustion Cell (Set3 #7)
4 Devour (Set1 #261)
4 Quarry (Set1001 #15)
4 Spark Hatcher (Set3 #12)
4 Assembly Line (Set1 #29)
4 Madness (Set1 #267)
2 Shadowlands Guide (Set1 #280)
4 Scraptank (Set1 #391)
2 Stonescar Scrapper (Set3 #236)
2 Flamestoker (Set2 #32)
4 Gearcruncher (Set3 #46)
2 Kaleb, Uncrowned Prince (Set1 #61)
5 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
4 Granite Waystone (Set3 #1)
4 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Crest of Chaos (Set3 #268)
4 Seat of Chaos (Set0 #60)
4 Stonescar Banner (Set1 #419)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deftest
May 7, 2011

bamhand posted:

How do you feel about Scrap Heap? Giving all your units charge feels really strong but it's hard finding the cuts to include it. I think it would be a 2 of at best.

Definitely has its uses. I could see ditching the flamestokers for it, as they're accomplishing similar things as anti-control. Though I reckon flamestoker is friendlier with all the sac stuff.

I might imagine scrap heap in a more low-to-the-ground version, less value-y, less stonescar scrapper, more that 2/1 that entombs to pump your team? Less combustion cell, more the 3 mana one that lets you sac a creature for 2 damage?

«193 »