Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Flea Bargain posted:

If you look at the gatherer wording on vampiric tutor, they've changed it to just have 'You lose 2 life' as part of the spell to clear up cases like this. Old magic was pretty loose and inconsistent with how cards were worded.

E: it's dumb that Devour isn't clear though, since an MTG player would definitely expect it to work the way it does, but it's definitely not clear to someone coming in cold.

Yah, that's what clued me in :).

Again, I think Devour is clear, you just have to learn what words mean in Eternal :shrug:. It's the same as learning the rules in any other game, and I don't think it's particularly unintuitive either in wording or in gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
The one thing I do find very unintuitive about Devour came up a few times in the event. You can cast it, have a creature come into play after you've paid the power from a triggered effect, then sacrifice that creature to Devour. That's just weird to me.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Week 3 pool: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/9JSIhCysm9k/season-20-week-3-pool

Probably running with this TJs deck: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/U1ctFDrvRdg/season-20-week-3-tjs

Got Curator and a Xenan Banner in this week's packs, which made be look more seriously at Combrei since I could splash Shadow removal.

Does anyone think I should go back to Xenan?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My pool for the league after the new packs:
https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/TtC3h1DYqMc/league-pool?view=color

I was running a pretty janky Feln deck that I have taken to a mediocre 8-9 record. Should I stick with that? Splash Fire for the Sky Terror and a few removal spells? Splash Justice for Slay, Fist, and some dudes?

[edit] Running this skycrag list currently.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 18, 2018

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

how did i get 7-2 with this draft deck:

1 Journey Guide (Set4 #53)
2 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
1 Shiver (Set4 #148)
1 Unstable Form (Set1 #189)
1 Changeestik (Set4 #152)
1 Honored Skyguard (Set4 #155)
1 Nocturnal Creeper (Set3 #64)
1 Winter's Grasp (Set3 #168)
2 Yeti Snowslinger (Set1 #203)
1 Amber Acolyte (Set1 #93)
1 Baying Serasaur (Set3 #66)
2 Dispel (Set1 #91)
1 Lethrai Secretweaver (Set4 #171)
1 Wild Rider (Set3 #177)
1 Archive Curator (Set2 #50)
1 Extinguish (Set3 #228)
1 Nocturnal Kyrex (Set3 #183)
1 Rotorcycle (Set4 #279)
1 Scavenging Spikeback (Set4 #178)
1 Lethrai Bladewhirl (Set4 #236)
1 Pensive Lumen (Set4 #88)
1 Sandbinder Sentinel (Set3 #85)
1 Speardiver (Set4 #185)
1 Cut Ties (Set4 #238)
1 Enraged Araktodon (Set4 #190)
7 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
1 Amber Waystone (Set3 #51)
7 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
2 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)

Okay, Honored Skyguard is good, but not THAT good.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Going back to rules chat for a moment, I just realized it's weird attacking into a unit does not trigger infiltrate but something like Gunsmith does.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

bamhand posted:

Going back to rules chat for a moment, I just realized it's weird attacking into a unit does not trigger infiltrate but something like Gunsmith does.

I'm not quite following you here...

Infiltrate has to hit the player. If your unit has overwhelm and survives infiltrate will go off even if blocked.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

bamhand posted:

Infiltrate is "deals damage to player" not "attacks" , exactly why Gunsmith/Icebow/etc trigger it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you attack a unit with a relic weapon, the unit deals damage to you (and stuff like Lifesteal goes off), but any Infiltrate effect doesn't happen.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Huh, are there any other instances of a creature technically doing damage on someone else's turn?

Also, where this month's promo eternal

Does Instigator w/ an infiltrate ability trigger if you combust something to kill it?

Knorth fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 19, 2018

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Knorth posted:

Huh, are there any other instances of a creature technically doing damage on someone else's turn?

Also, where this month's promo eternal

Does Instigator w/ an infiltrate ability trigger if you combust something to kill it?

Yes. Putting beastcallers amulet on Instigator and killing a unit was one my of favorite set 1 draft achievements

Jabor posted:

If you attack a unit with a relic weapon, the unit deals damage to you (and stuff like Lifesteal goes off), but any Infiltrate effect doesn't happen.

Yes there is a bit of inconsistency here because if you attack a relic weapon infiltrate will go off.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
In the case I'm thinking of the Instigator needs to die as well, like I know it's Deal damage thing still works from the grave but would the infiltrate play out as well?

I guess there's no way to permanently give a creature an infiltrate, the beastcaller would just be removed when instigator dies. And I can't think of any other creature that can properly deal damage on the opponents turn

Knorth fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 19, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Knorth posted:

In the case I'm thinking of the Instigator needs to die as well, like I know it's Deal damage thing still works from the grave but would the infiltrate play out as well?

I guess there's no way to permanently give a creature an infiltrate, the beastcaller would just be removed when instigator dies. And I can't think of any other creature that can properly deal damage on the opponents turn

Temporal Distortion + Mirror Image lets you do pretty much anything on your opponent's turn.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jabor posted:

Ohhhh I see what you mean. Yeah that's weird. It straight up says in the rules it doesn't work that way but doesn't really explain why

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

Temporal Distortion + Mirror Image lets you do pretty much anything on your opponent's turn.

I've always wondered if you play a unit at fast speed if it will stop an attacking weapon. I'm guessing no since it doesn't work for units. Ambush seems to have slightly different rules and response windows than fast spells/effects.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It does not (and it doesn't stop Killer attacks either).

This was a pretty relevant interaction to know about in the recent event, but it also comes up if you're using Great Parliament as a finisher in Temporal Control.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

bamhand posted:

I've always wondered if you play a unit at fast speed if it will stop an attacking weapon. I'm guessing no since it doesn't work for units. Ambush seems to have slightly different rules and response windows than fast spells/effects.

Right, Ambush has its own special properties that go beyond just "playing a unit at fast spell speed". The timing windows are different too

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Relic weapons are another form of removal, having them trigger infiltrate would make infiltrate units that much harder to deal with before they trigger.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 19, 2018

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

Relic weapons are another form of removal, having them trigger infiltrate would make infiltrate units that much harder to deal with before they trigger.

Yeah for balance reasons I don't think it needs to be changed, and I believe the in-game rulebook section for infiltrate just straight up says "it doesn't trigger off of that" but it is a funny inconsistency and does go against infiltrate's text in-game.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I think the idea is that infiltraite needs to activate based off of the cards ability/the owners active choice, but that would be way to wordy to explain on the card. I don't think there are any card effects that can make someone elses infiltrate trigger right?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

I think the idea is that infiltraite needs to activate based off of the cards ability/the owners active choice, but that would be way to wordy to explain on the card. I don't think there are any card effects that can make someone elses infiltrate trigger right?

In a very roundabout way it's possible (as is just about anything in Eternal, which is a big part of why I like the game)-- use an effect like Teacher of Humility to make your opponent draw a card, that card is an Infiltrate card granted Destiny by their Crown, and they have that new ping-on-ETB Yeti on board -- but nah there's not like a straightforward way to do so. In the example above Infiltrate would totally trigger though. There's probably an even less complicated way to do so that I'm forgetting about

edit: if they wanted to clean up the keyword they should probably just go for "Infiltrate: When this unit deals damage to the enemy player on your turn" and while that would cut out some Temporal Distortion shenanigans (which afaik nobody's even really taken advantage of with regard to infiltrate yet) it would make the relic weapon interaction much more clear

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 19, 2018

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
But the Beastcaller Instigator caveat says otherwise.

EDIT: I'm going to put a Beastcaller Amulet on an Outlands Brute.

say no to scurvy fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 19, 2018

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Alternate take on Infiltrate: it's perfectly consistent with the meaning of the English word, and the animations which play out on screen. Infiltrate triggers when your unit sneaks past their defenses to hit their face. You don't get it when their avatar moseys into your territory to murderize your unit, because your unit is not infiltrating anything at that time.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Really it's just the interaction with relic weapons attacking an infiltrate unit that is a bit weird.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/EternalCardGame/status/1020010221052284928
those poor grenadin.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
2/2 quickdraw for 2 is pretty good but that effect doesn't really fit in any existed archetype. Maaybe Scream? Bringing it back 3 times to draw 3 of your opponent's cards and a Smuggler's Stash is probably not as good as just 3 hits from Fanatic though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I mean I suppose it’s a gunslinger, but in that deck it basically just lets you cycle extra power into mystery cards from your opponents deck, assuming you can ignore the trigger when you want to. And it’s worse than every 2 drop that deck currently plays.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

its interesting but ultimately probably too weak unless cards that support card stealing come out

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If only you could look at it first there would be a reason to play him (and it still wouldn't be close to good enough). Poor wyatt, you deserved better.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A 2/2 quickdraw for 2 isn't a horrid baseline. I could imagine decks that want 5 or 6 of that sort of thing instead of just 4 that would give him a spin.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Be kind to grenadins

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Yeah that card can easily slide into stonescar gunslingers just as a plain unit without you having to care about the effect at all. I mean sure sometimes you'll get to swap a power for a mystery card but that's not why you play him. Things like hideout pistol or curve into first-shot rioter come to mind. But I think stonescar stopped being a thing after hailstorm got released right? Can't say that I've seen it recently. Not having aegis units like skycrag really sucked I guess

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Say I don't want to earn every card for free and I'm happy to throw money at Eternal to have access to a lot of cards, brew stuff and play meta decks. What kind of :10bux: am I looking at to have a pay-to-not-grind experience?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I've played with stonescar gunslingers and you really want more of a top-end like the new Jekk, and you don't have the extra draw that fits this guy since it's all filtering. Maybe it's a tribute activator, but even then the game is crawling with better units competing for the slot.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

they've implemented free card drops for people that watch streams. not sure if it's for everyone using the waystone extention or just devs right, but check out LSV's stream right now if you want free poo poo.

then I'll be streaming my week 3 sealed deck in about an hour, and maybe there will still be free poo poo given out (aside from free wins for my opponents from my sloppy play) ????

https://www.twitch.tv/lonegoat/

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
yeah I got two drops from the LSV stream, a free dusk road pack and a scouting party. though you would have to pay me to watch an LSV stream :wal:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Huzzah! posted:

yeah I got two drops from the LSV stream, a free dusk road pack and a scouting party. though you would have to pay me to watch an LSV stream :wal:

i got a premium Big Brother (aka 3200 dust) and a pack :hellyeah:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm at work so I don't get poo poo

:smith:

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

number one pta fan posted:

Say I don't want to earn every card for free and I'm happy to throw money at Eternal to have access to a lot of cards, brew stuff and play meta decks. What kind of :10bux: am I looking at to have a pay-to-not-grind experience?

My recommendation is to do the following:

Buy the Traver campaign first. It is the only campaign with a card that is undisputedly strong. The other campaigns have useful cards but they are not necessary to have a competitive deck.

Then I would max out my forge rank.

After that I would rare draft. Select every rare you get.

If you want to spend more than that, I would recommend buying a box of the set you have the most rares from to maximize your shiftstone gain. Rare drafting is almost always a better investment when you are trying to build a collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I mean. ICB is a good rare. As is Travod.

And they're from the jekk campaign iirc.