Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Serperoth posted:

Oh wow that seems awesome. And it makes sense, by giving YOU the ability.

I think the only keywords that apply to spell damage would be: Overrun, Deadly and Lifesteal. The only thing I can thing of being very strong is Deadly + Lightning Storm as a board clear but I don't think it is really a particularly cheap solution to a problem that Harsh Rule already fixes. The other option is maybe massive life gain with Lightning Storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Anyone have links to guides for drafting specifically Forge decks? Thanks

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Megasabin posted:

Anyone have links to guides for drafting specifically Forge decks? Thanks

I am no expert but my successful forge runs have all revolved around low cost decks with lots of cheap creatures. Red always factors into a good run with Red/Green and Red/Yellow always doing well. Unless you get a bomb as your first pick from another colour I would suggest looking at draft lists for Rhakano and Combrei to get an idea of good picks in Red/Green and Red/Yellow respectively.

I did do very well last night after first picking a Rogue Dinomancer which won me every game that I played it in easily so there are good cards that aren't in those colours that can do well as well.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Alright, just got Master in Gauntlet, Diamond in Forge, gonna finish that up tonight then jump into draft. Having a lot of fun with this game!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Do you ever get to choose your own mana distrbution in draft?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Megasabin posted:

Do you ever get to choose your own mana distrbution in draft?

Yeah, you get to edit your deck in draft. I think that the 1/3rd rule applies, but I'm not sure.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Serperoth posted:

Yeah, you get to edit your deck in draft. I think that the 1/3rd rule applies, but I'm not sure.

How? I don't see any options in Forge, Constructed, or Draft to control my own mana.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Megasabin posted:

How? I don't see any options in Forge, Constructed, or Draft to control my own mana.

In Constructed, you can tune the Sigil ratios. I haven't played Forge in ages, so I don't know, but I imagine it's similar to Draft, where, in deckbuilding, you can also add more/fewer Sigils.

Want me to play a Forge or a Draft to take screenshots?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You need to turn on advanced deckbuilding.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Maybe it's just me but I only wreck shop in forge when I go fire/justice, even if I have to pick a few bad cards to get those factions.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Advanced deck building was the trick. Found it in the options menu. Can anyone explain curse to me? I tried clicking on the tooltip, but it was right as a match ended, so I couldn't read it. People keep playing a 1 mana card on me that stuns a unit forever as long as it's cursed, and I have no idea how to remove the curse.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
A curse is an attachment, like weapons. So you'd need something that destroys attachments. It's super annoying.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Elblanco posted:

A curse is an attachment, like weapons. So you'd need something that destroys attachments. It's super annoying.

That is a really powerful card for 1 mana!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Megasabin posted:

That is a really powerful card for 1 mana!

yea, it's bullshit. I've been playing like 90% of the standard rakano warcry list. So i have enough cheap creatures to just ignore what's cursed and keep going. Though I would recommend putting attachment removal in your sideboard, if there's a way to actually use it that is.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Permafrost, while quite good, is worse than you think it is because it can't go on endurance dudes, most notably sandstorm titan.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Why can't it hit endurance dudes?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elblanco posted:

Why can't it hit endurance dudes?

They can't be stunned.

Similarly, Permafrost is also removed if you can give your guy Endurance (Accelerated Evolution, for example).

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Serperoth posted:

Similarly, Permafrost is also removed if you can give your guy Endurance (Accelerated Evolution, for example).

Silencing your own guy also silences the Permafrost.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Oh hey, there is actually a thread for this. I signed up for beta the other day after watching Kibler stream some and got a key a day or two later.
I've mostly been doing forge & gauntlet to try to get a collection started, I did okay in my one draft so far I guess but not knowing the set at all yet definitely bit me in the rear end. Also I kept wasting silences expecting it to remove attachments or whatever. I guess I'm too used to its function in literally every other game with that mechanic.

I've tried a little bit of ranked with my starter rakano warcry thing but I keep getting tooled by dudes seemingly way above my rank with actual cards. On the plus side I've got about 10k dust and 10k gold saved up now for a couple more drafts and the start of an actual constructed deck. Any suggestions on what to craft etc? I haven't really paid attention at all to the meta yet, I chose Time as my starter totem or whatever the gently caress but it didn't seem to impact anything as far as my collection goes.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah, totem is purely cosmetic. Rakano Warcry is the easiest top tier deck to build, 10k dust is more than enough. The rares you're looking for are Crownwatch Paladin, Shogun's Scepter, Valkyrie Enforcer, and maybe Hammer of Might.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, totem is purely cosmetic. Rakano Warcry is the easiest top tier deck to build, 10k dust is more than enough. The rares you're looking for are Crownwatch Paladin, Shogun's Scepter, Valkyrie Enforcer, and maybe Hammer of Might.

I noticed there is a nasty version of Rakano Warcry that lures you into thinking it is the original deck, and then drops Harsh Rule once you have flooded the board with blockers, following that up with big creatures you wouldn't normally see.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I did some research, and found out some useful information about the wipe they plan to do. People will be compensated based on chests open/total shards earned, and not their card collection. They specifically decided to do that to encourage people to trash cards for shards to try new decks. The takeaway message being do not hold on to cards for collecting purposes-- there is no point whatsoever right now.

Also of note they specifically said in multiple FAQs/interviews that the compensation will only be a small % of your total shards. They purposefully do not want beta people starting with a huge advantage.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Megasabin posted:

I did some research, and found out some useful information about the wipe they plan to do. People will be compensated based on chests open/total shards earned, and not their card collection. They specifically decided to do that to encourage people to trash cards for shards to try new decks. The takeaway message being do not hold on to cards for collecting purposes-- there is no point whatsoever right now.

Also of note they specifically said in multiple FAQs/interviews that the compensation will only be a small % of your total shards. They purposefully do not want beta people starting with a huge advantage.

Any eta on that wipe? I'm probably going to quit for a while if most of my stuff is going disappear.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

DrManiac posted:

Any eta on that wipe? I'm probably going to quit for a while if most of my stuff is going disappear.

The developers said in a recent forum post that this was the "calm before the storm" alluding to there will soon be a marketing blitz, followed by the wipe and start of open beta. I would guess 1-2 months max?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

has there ever been any world on a mobile/tablet version of the game? The fact that it has a battery indicator while you are playing a game eludes to that kind of port in the future.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I know it has a tablet port and I believe it also has a phone port.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Elyv posted:

I know it has a tablet port and I believe it also has a phone port.

Oh really? Are the only available to a limited group of people at the moment?

Ah, I see it now, if you log into the website and scroll down the profile page you can request access to the tablet beta.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Phrosphor posted:

If you're in beta, just go to your account page on the offcial site, there should be mobile download links below the PC downloads.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Ugh, do I seriously have to finish all 20whatever campaign matches before I get to do real stuff?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Flea Bargain posted:

Ugh, do I seriously have to finish all 20whatever campaign matches before I get to do real stuff?

Yes. I swear it gets better past that, but jesus christ that could not be a more offputting start to the game.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I went 7-2 on my second draft, woooh. Watching Sir Rhino's draft youtube video's was super helpful.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Hauki posted:

Yes. I swear it gets better past that, but jesus christ that could not be a more offputting start to the game.

I might be in the minority but I always liked the singleplayer stuff in card games. Puzzle mode in Faeria was the most fun part of that game for me.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Mr. Whale posted:

I might be in the minority but I always liked the singleplayer stuff in card games. Puzzle mode in Faeria was the most fun part of that game for me.

Playing with a deck I have no control over is very frustrating.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Phrosphor posted:

Ah, I see it now, if you log into the website and scroll down the profile page you can request access to the tablet beta.

I can also confirm that the tablet version, at least iOS, is bug-free and has worked perfectly for me since the day I got it. It's a pretty perfect port.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mr. Whale posted:

I like single-player stuff too, but the deckbuilder and even seeing your cards being locked behind 20 matches is a bit of a rough start. Really hoping that gets fixed.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've given this game a few days of versus play and about 4 drafts. My overall opinion is that it's solid, but very bland, and most likely will fail to garner any real player base, and probably die within a year or two at most, or at best retain a small niche community.

It's essentially a remake of Hex with a better pricing model & UI. It goes for the same core conceit as Hex in that it aims to deliver a digital CCG with more complexity/depth than it competitors. It approaches this strategy exactly the same as Hex-- by using MTG as a base and adding interesting mechanics that take advantage of the digital playing field. I definitely think it will be more successful than Hex given that it's possible to play it for free, while Hex's pricing system was atrocious. However I think it's going to have a lot of issues holding it back, and probably preventing it from succeeding.

For one the game is incredibly bland right now in almost every aspect. The art and UI are generic to the point that it makes the game unappealing from an advertising perspective. There's no wow factor at all. I tried to get some friends to give the game a try, and they just took one look at it, and basically said it looked like an amateur HS ripoff, which I can't disagree with.Then they took a look at the cards, and felt they were really simple from a mechanical perspective, which well I also agree with. There just is no exciting unique gameplay mechanic in this game. It's a very by the number MTG clone. They cards usethe digital environment for relatively simple things right now, mostly in the sense that you can permanently affect cards in your library or hand with buffs, debuffs, or removal. Hex has already done this, so it's not novel, and well the default cards are really straight forward right now. Hell I did quite well on the majority of my drafts by making decks full of simple fliers and just smashing face. I know they probably plan to add more interesting things in future expansions, but well I doubt the playerbase will stick around for that with how simple the gameplay is right now.

A mechanical issue is the game also has land flush/screw, which is just a bad mechanic. Yes there are banners, strangers, and monuments to try to prevent it, but the fact remains it's there, and its bad gameplay design, period, end of story. You can't always guarantee mana fixing cards in draft, and even with them, there were several times I or my opponent won, because the other person got stuck at 2 mana. I'm not going to get into a debate about the pluses and minus of the land system, but I will say in a post-HS world, most players won't bother with a game that has this issue.

Another big issue is that the game is not friendly at all to new players and is going to have trouble gaining broad appeal. At literally rank 1 Bronze versus I immediately started encountering net decks. I had to go basically look up a deck on reddit and trash most of my cards to make it in order to compete with any consistency. That is not something that is going to be appealing to people just starting the game. This may be an effect of closed beta, but I imagine that's just the type of player that's going to be attracted to this game, which will hurt it's mass appeal. You could gauntlet or forge, but the majority of players are not interested in playing vs an NPC.

So overall I think it's a solid foundation for a game, but it's bland both mechanically and aesthetically. Poor art design can often be ignored, but mechanics wise the game doesn't bring anything unique or exciting to the table either. I have trouble seeing how it will attract new players or steal anyone away from the more popular existing CCGs. Hearthstone has much better presentation and a pretty cemented playerbase, and Duelyst is just a much more interesting game mechanically. With that said I'll probably keep playing this for a while, since I've already put in like 300 hours into Duelyst and it's something different for now.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 12, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Honestly, if all this game was was a straight ripoff of literal MTG that ran on my iPad and wasn't the clunky pile of poo poo MTGO is id still play the hell out of it.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I don't think Hex has any android presence? The big thing for me is being able to play a game on the go. I travel a lot for work and being able to play a cardgame on my phone or tablet in an airport or hotel bar in the evening is a godsend. It's why I have played a lot of hearthstone up till now, despite really starting to hate the limitations of the game.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

Honestly, if all this game was was a straight ripoff of literal MTG that ran on my iPad and wasn't the clunky pile of poo poo MTGO is id still play the hell out of it.

:same:, except I don't have an iPad

But I do really appreciate the digital-only stuff. Silence, Warcry, transforming, etc, they can all add a lot of depth, and the digital aspect helps a lot with memory issues that have kept a lot of stuff from being A Thing in Magic (Aegis being an obvious one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wobbler
Jan 31, 2008
Only you can save mankind
For anyone who was waiting to start, the game's now in open beta, accounts have been wiped, and it's now on Steam.