Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

ShaneB posted:

Probably because it dies to tons of removal.

With Rakano being super popular right now, dying to both Torch and Vanquish is a huge liability. About the only thing it doesn't die to is Annihilate.

I just spent a couple hours finishing my Masters climb. Today felt a lot more varied in terms of decks I was facing, with a reasonable amount of control but a lot more aggro represented than earlier in the week. To keep it fresh I ran a rotation of decks and cycled to the next one every time I lost a game: Rakano, Feln Control, Reanimator, and Lifeforce Aggro. Rakano felt like it had the highest win rate overall, Control did pretty well against aggro and some opposing control decks, and the other two are basically high-roll decks to spice things up a bit. Reanimator ended up taking it home on a 4-game win streak, and has been the most fun deck overall I've played this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It’s easy to remove, doesn’t do much against Time stuff and has rough influence requirements, but it’s an overstatted threat that doesn’t have any competition in the 3 mana spot.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm seeing a ton of creative decks in masters and diamond competitors. Vara is straight busted once she starts going off.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It’s easy to remove, doesn’t do much against Time stuff and has rough influence requirements, but it’s an overstatted threat that doesn’t have any competition in the 3 mana spot.

With nightfall making midrange Feln a possibility, now is it's time to shine. Control decks need threats that are removal resistant since they are only playing a few, so Midnight Gale is pretty poor there. Midrange and Aggro just need efficiency because they are going to play many threats and the opponent is generally going to have to be choosy with their removal.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Incinerated 4k gold in the event. The decks are fun ideas but it's mostly just hit your gimmick or requeue.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Man the combrei deck is such trash compared to the other decks in this event. Quickest 0-3 I've ever seen. What lovely RNG, thanks DWD

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Playing the sacrifice deck was fun. Finishing off games with madnessed Jekk or throwing hydras at people is great. Of course, if you don't draw any of the sacrifice enablers, you're hosed, but still.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I hated the yeti deck, either you were slamming a yeti every turn and wumping your opponent off the board, or the deck simply didnt function. The mind-link deck was much more interesting, and I found a lot of fun play occuring with the various ways in which you can benefit off of it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Made it 5-3 with the stonescar sac deck and I'm currently 5-0 with the praxis tokens/weapons deck (Jekk + Warhelm ftw) but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be all downhill after these two decks lol. I am looking forward to Mind Link and Yetis though

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Finished my first 7-win draft! Was pretty pleased with my deck:

Only landed Amilli in one gamme though

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

hate both decks ive had so far but variance.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I got knucklebones first run and man, it feels bad drawing 3 power after playing the bones. All in the same game! I ended up 2-3 with it, just not drawing enough pressure to keep up. Lost to the combrei deck twice and to the lifeforce deck when they played two tormentors + talir at 49 power.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

goferchan posted:

Made it 5-3 with the stonescar sac deck and I'm currently 5-0 with the praxis tokens/weapons deck (Jekk + Warhelm ftw) but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be all downhill after these two decks lol. I am looking forward to Mind Link and Yetis though

The praxis deck is really sink or swim. Jekk, Hellfire Oni, Quartermaster, the dragon and the weapons are all strong and synergize well together, but the tokens plan just falls apart. It turns out Blink Dog and Doorbot aren't that good.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Nighthand posted:

I got knucklebones first run and man, it feels bad drawing 3 power after playing the bones. All in the same game! I ended up 2-3 with it, just not drawing enough pressure to keep up. Lost to the combrei deck twice and to the lifeforce deck when they played two tormentors + talir at 49 power.

Yeah the Knucklebones deck is particularly bad. The cards in the deck pre-knucklebones are already pretty rough but the big payoff is just... more bad cards.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Aaand just finished going 2-3 with the mind link deck, because out of five games I only drew mind link twice. It was either all the transform effects but no mind link or threats, or a couple of the threats but nothing to help keep up with the opponent. This event doesn't like me, I guess.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've had a lot of time today so I've played through 3 events and I'm partway through the fourth, here's my thoughts so far:

First League: TS Ramp. I liked this deck, though I didn't do all that well with it. The sequencing was kind of tricky, and unlike some of the other decks(more on this later) you actually had the lategame thanks to the 4/4 that could grow, Mask of Torment, Talir, and some sweepers. I went 3-3, but one of the losses was from me disconnecting in a game where I was slightly ahead.

Second League: FS Sacrifice. This deck felt absolutely amazing, with a ton of options and power. Your deck manipulation is better than most of the other decks, you can flood the board and play large guys, and, most importantly, you have way more removal than any of the other decks. Most of the decks are filled with medium cards and a few bombs, and you can always kill theirs but they can't always kill yours(and in the case of the Hydra, they may not even want to). I went 7-1 fairly easily.

Third League: TJ toughness. This deck is absolutely garbage, and not even fun garbage like how the transform deck looks. The deck is basically nonfunctional without Shard of the Scale in its opening hand and it's not even amazing with the card. The spell that's supposed to act like a one-shot Shard felt very bad since it basically doesn't do anything unless it's part of a lethal or nearly lethal attack, which you can never set up because you're constantly blocking and sometimes chumping and just don't have that many creatures in general. I'd bet the deck wins 80% of its games with either an unanswered Shard into a stream of fliers, or an unanswered Amiti. I went 1-3 and admittedly my win involved neither of those, but it was against the Mind Link deck with no Mind Link.

Fourth League: PF Yetis. This deck feels very, very strong so far. I disagree with the guy earlier who said you can't win without Wump; there's a lot of other Yeti synergy in the deck and the deck is way more redundant and consistent than most of these decks, so you can just trade somewhat aggressively and beat down while everyone else is durdling around. I'm 3-0 with it so far, and I'm looking forward to finishing out that league.

I haven't played with the other decks, but the Mind Link deck looks like it's a similar tier to the toughness deck only more fun, and the weapons deck always seems to do things but I don't think I've lost to it yet.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Nighthand posted:

Aaand just finished going 2-3 with the mind link deck, because out of five games I only drew mind link twice. It was either all the transform effects but no mind link or threats, or a couple of the threats but nothing to help keep up with the opponent. This event doesn't like me, I guess.

Having played the poo poo out of y0ttabyte’s Mind Link Shimmerpack (and my own mods of it), this sounds about right. Decks that want to actually do things with Mind Link tend to run out of room for other cards, so Link+transform spells becomes your plan for reliably drawing threats. Since you only get 4 Links, that means you do not have a reliable plan for drawing threats. You play Mind Link decks for their incredible high roll potential (*), not the normal outcomes.

* - like getting the Shimmerpack/Link/Crown infinite combo to go off, and after a billion card animations go off you have a board full of free charging flying aegis double damage lifesteal unblockable Shimmerpacks

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm actually having good luck so far with combrei butts too but I'be has Amilli and Shard in my opening hand all 3 games now. Btw another reason that Shard sucks is that it's one of those relics that you REALLY want to draw in a deck built around it , but (except for relic removal) there's no advantage to putting multiple copies into play. You kind of have to run 4x copies but you're hoping to only draw one of them

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
7-2 with the mindlink deck. Super fun lines of play

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
So far I've been given the following decks:

2-3 with Shard of the Spire deck
1-3 with Mind Link deck
7-2 with the Knucklebones deck

I remember seeing the Jekk deck a bunch while playing Spire and Mind Link, it seems real powerful and punished the durdly strategies hard.

The Bones deck is... kinda good? It has a lot of tools for drawing power and Bones out of your deck and surviving till 7. I never had trouble casting Bones by turn 7-8, and most of the time I had a hand full of power when I did so (being able to cast power after playing Bones is great because you need more than 7 to reliably play 2 random cards per turn). So, there was never any need to delay rolling the bones to get a bit more power.

Even had a chance to go for an alternate wincon once, hatchery hunter on a hand of like 5 power and a couple random other things, but I wanted to go for the bones plan instead.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I hate this event a whole lot. I really wish it weren't so poo poo. The decks are SO badly balanced against each other that it's as though some of the deck builders were specifically building to ensure that another builder's deck can never, ever win against it, and there's no reason for that poo poo. It could have been a fun jank versus jank event, but it isn't. Some of the decks have 1 of cards that are outrageously better than anything in the rest of their deck and the opponent's deck combined, and it's just stupid. The lack of removal could be cool, except there's Jekk and Cirso and Amilli and poo poo that completely take over the game, jank or no jank, and that's real dumb that someone can play a single card and win the game because their opponent didn't draw one of their 2-4 removal spells.

The Mind Link deck in particular is the biggest offender. It's running a bunch of just Good Cards, like 3 Cirso and 3 Magus of the Mist, which force the opponent to draw their removal or lose immediately, but it also is playing 1 ofs Shimmerpack, Yetipult, Disjunction, and Xenan Obelisk. Why the gently caress does it get to play Yetipult and Xenan Obelisk? They have absolutely nothing to do with the theme of transforming units, they're just cards you play and then tell your opponent to go gently caress themselves because you got to play good cards while they're playing 3 mana 0/7s. Unstable Form is real insane in this format full of jank, because with so many of the decks relying on synergy it is typically 1 mana destroy a creature Echo which is absurd, and the deck gets four of those and four Polymorphs and four Regression and 2 Archive Curator, so it just has an absurd amount of removal while other decks have a weaker gameplan, weaker cards in general, and have nearly no interaction. Of course sometimes it doesn't draw Mind Link, doesn't draw its power cards and then does absolutely nothing while getting run over by a bunch of crappy creatures.

Speaking of absurd amounts of removal, the Fire/Shadow sacrifice deck is just way too good compared to the other decks. It's playing 3 Combust and 4 Madness, and it gets four Venomspine Hydras! It's going to win if it draws a reasonable amount of power and spells.

The Night deck is bad. It has a pretty great, fun gameplan, that completely crumbles against opposing interaction, and it's just playing all air. Seriously, it's playing 26 power, 4 Seek Power, 4 Vara's Favor, 4 Duskwalker, 4 Mask of Torment, and nothing to actually do with all of this power. 3 Talir (which doesn't necessarily win the game), 4 Devoted Theurge, the four Tormentors off the Masks, a single Hall of Lost Kings, and...Nightfall triggers? That's about it. You can gain a whole bunch of life but if you don't actually kill your opponents they'll eventually draw their interaction and you lose when they deal with all your threats. It's playing SO much power that you very well can draw three threats and have 30 power and just lose, as I found out multiple times.

The Praxis deck is great, except it plays 4 Helpful Doorbots and WAY too many Time Sigils/units.

The Knucklebones deck should be allowed to play four Harsh Rules.

The Yeti deck is playing a lot of just blatantly suboptimal cards for variety, which is stupid when other decks are jamming Cirsos and Jekks. It's also in a really terrible spot of having a TON of worthless low cost spells, while also needing a LOT of power to play multiple seven drops, so if you draw a bunch of power without the high end you do nothing, and if you draw the high end and only four power you do nothing. That's real unfun. I don't understand why the yeti deck gets the same number of Yetipults as the drat Cirso deck, or why it has to suffer with playing two Yeti Troublemakers and two Yeti Sage and only one Ruincrawler Yeti or one Iceberg Warchief.

The Combrei Big Butts deck is absolutely shameful. Its main gameplan revolves around drawing a Spire, playing it on turn 4, and THEN start playing units. If you totally ignore that part, it's actually great, because the actual gameplan is playing a whole bunch of cards and stealing the game with an Accelerated Impact or two, or playing an Amilli or Behemoth and winning when they go unanswered. Honestly, look at that decklist without the four Amilli - it'd never win a game where it doesn't land a turn 4 Spire against a bad opposing draw or steal a game with Accelerated Impact against an unaware opponent. The fact that Accelerated Impact isn't a fast spell really makes it only good against players who don't bother looking at the decklists, which to be fair is all of the ones I've played against.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Got the Mask deck, went 0-3. The last game was against Knucklebones and I had to concede because it took like half an hour, nobody was close to winning, and I had to go.

Don’t think I’m doing any more runs.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Oceanbound posted:

Got the Mask deck, went 0-3. The last game was against Knucklebones and I had to concede because it took like half an hour, nobody was close to winning, and I had to go.

Don’t think I’m doing any more runs.

Don't worry, you've managed to get through the worst or second worst deck at least. If you can get the Big Butts deck next, things can only go up from there!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
First run I got Stonescar Sacc and it horribly. Mana Screw and hands that just didnt do anything. went 2-3.The 2 decks I didnt get were knucklebones and doorbot, with the other 5 decks I managed to do 2 or more wins with the exception of mirror. Even if I did have mirror, I'd just get run downed before I could do anything with it. I believe my best was with Mask at 5 wins and Big Butts™ and Yetis were tied at 4. I got surprise lethal 2 with Big Butts thanks to that spell that lets them attack with their health.

Im still a little amazed with one win I got with Big Butts because it didn't involve Spire, the team pump spell, or either of the legendary creatures. Just a couple 1 or 2 attack fliers slowly chipping away at my Yeti opponent's life while bug butts held them off just barely enough. Pretty sure I ended at 3 life and he had a full board of yetis.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The idea behind this event was neat but actually playing wasn't fun for me. And I played all 5 runs for the leaderboard but lol at me because the matchup and draw rng is horrible if you care about results. I landend in the high 300 area and I'm lucky if I can hold on to top 500 for the rewards. Got knucklebones as my first and went 5-3 which was also my best result. The other decks just fell apart because they have no alternative gameplan beyond their gimmick and durdly decks without solid catch-up cards die to yetis/stuff that gets played on curve. A lot of the decks are just like the meme decks I jam in casual where I don't care about losing but that's not fun at all in a competitive setting

Hellsau posted:

I hate this event a whole lot. I really wish it weren't so poo poo. The decks are SO badly balanced against each other that it's as though some of the deck builders were specifically building to ensure that another builder's deck can never, ever win against it, and there's no reason for that poo poo. It could have been a fun jank versus jank event, but it isn't.
:agreed:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Good lord the Nightfall/Lifeforce deck is awful. It's like somebody smushed Xenan lifeforce into a nightfall aggro deck and kept the worst two halves. No removal for bombs and no fliers is hilarious. Even when you land mask and drop tormentor early, you're still hosed against any deck with a flying threat and removal.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

Took this to 7 earlier. Dear lord Rolant is amazing. Didn't hurt the deck was pretty good on its own. I had a Minsod as well but I ended up taking him out for a Scrap Hound.

1 Oni Ronin (Set1 #13)
2 Scrap Hound (Set3 #6)
1 Copperhall Herald (Set2 #71)
2 Into the Furnace (Set3 #9)
1 Praxis Stranger (Set2 #248)
1 Soaring Guard (Set3 #102)
1 Spark Hatcher (Set3 #12)
1 Sparring Partner (Set2 #77)
1 Stonescar Stranger (Set1 #413)
1 Tranquil Scholar (Set2 #76)
2 Unpredictable Outlaw (Set3 #13)
1 Backpacker's Machete (Set3 #15)
1 Copperhall Marshal (Set3 #114)
3 Crownwatch Deserter (Set1 #316)
1 Hoof Slash (Set3 #18)
1 Shogun's Scepter (Set1 #26)
3 Tandem Watchwing (Set3 #121)
1 Valkyrie Militant (Set2 #89)
1 Powderkeg Rider (Set3 #38)
1 Emerald Spear (Set3 #142)
1 Rolant, the Iron Fist (Set1 #185)
8 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
9 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Got Yetis for my first run, which seemed pretty fun, but I got matched against the "lots of low-drop blockers" deck 3 times in a row. Nice matchmaking direwolf!

e: knucklebones for the second run, first game: combrei again!

Jabor fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 16, 2018

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Mad Scraps really does feel super strong compared to what everyone else is doing. The Knucklebones deck can fare well against it if it draws enough of its sweepers and removal, but everything else I've come up against didn't feel fair.

To add insult to injury, I just won a game with the most ridiculous RNG I've seen yet. Opponent tried to use a Regression to deal with my Steelbound Dragon, next turn it transforms into 3-faction Curiox. I had a relic in play and five spells in my void. :getin:

Edit: Actually lost a game to Combrei Butts because sometimes they just get a triple Amilli draw. The variance giveth and the variance taketh away.

Nibble fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 16, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tin Tim posted:

The idea behind this event was neat but actually playing wasn't fun for me. And I played all 5 runs for the leaderboard but lol at me because the matchup and draw rng is horrible if you care about results. I landend in the high 300 area and I'm lucky if I can hold on to top 500 for the rewards. Got knucklebones as my first and went 5-3 which was also my best result. The other decks just fell apart because they have no alternative gameplan beyond their gimmick and durdly decks without solid catch-up cards die to yetis/stuff that gets played on curve. A lot of the decks are just like the meme decks I jam in casual where I don't care about losing but that's not fun at all in a competitive setting

:agreed:

You didn't need to do it 5 times. Only your first 5 runs count.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ShaneB posted:

You didn't need to do it 5 times. Only your first 5 runs count.

Huh? To max out your leaderboard score, you do need to do it 5 times

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

goferchan posted:

Huh? To max out your leaderboard score, you do need to do it 5 times

Yes but you didn't like need to actually do it 5x is what I'm saying. I actually had a better score before finishing all my terrible runs.

I thought this event was just terrible.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I didn't realize Life force was one of the worst decks. I went 5-3 with it and it felt tolerable. I had one game where I lived the dream of 3 masks and a Theurge for massive life/power gain.

I think my losses we're against Yeti, Knucklebones, and Jekk. Man that Praxis loss had my opponent playing 3 Jekks into Kaleb turns 6-9. It was so gross. And he had warhelms for the first two Jekks of course.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Knuckles into Scourge into silence for the Hydra to keep my Scourge on the table. After also knuckles'ing into 2x attachment removal for his sac outlets.

Knuckles best deck.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ShaneB posted:

Yes but you didn't like need to actually do it 5x is what I'm saying. I actually had a better score before finishing all my terrible runs.

I thought this event was just terrible.

Only an 0-3 can actually lower your rank. If you dropped rank in a run where you won any games it was because other players got more total wins than you in the mean time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah event leaderboard placement is determined by total number of wins out of 35 games, with losses acting as a tiebreaker. If you get at least one win each time, doing all 5 entries can only help your score

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

bamhand posted:

I didn't realize Life force was one of the worst decks. I went 5-3 with it and it felt tolerable. I had one game where I lived the dream of 3 masks and a Theurge for massive life/power gain.

I had a round like that too, I was up to 50 power and drew Talir. Instant slam/ult, extra turn, pump 60 mana into Theurge and attack for massive overkill. Felt really strong.

Then I faced three Yeti decks in a row and lost horribly all three times because they have an early game and removal. But for that one game, I was a god.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

bartolimu posted:

I had a round like that too, I was up to 50 power and drew Talir. Instant slam/ult, extra turn, pump 60 mana into Theurge and attack for massive overkill. Felt really strong.

Then I faced three Yeti decks in a row and lost horribly all three times because they have an early game and removal. But for that one game, I was a god.

I think I drew Stray every time I played against Yetis so it was pretty easy. I assume it would be a different experience without that. The deck does feature a decent amount of removal overall though. Which is why I assumed it was kind of more in the middle of the pack for power level.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ShadeofBlue posted:

Only an 0-3 can actually lower your rank. If you dropped rank in a run where you won any games it was because other players got more total wins than you in the mean time.

got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

bamhand posted:

I think I drew Stray every time I played against Yetis so it was pretty easy. I assume it would be a different experience without that. The deck does feature a decent amount of removal overall though. Which is why I assumed it was kind of more in the middle of the pack for power level.

The big problem with it as that it is so middle of the road in a field of absurd poo poo. Sure, the other decks are more inconsistent, but when they fire on all cylinders, they do insane poo poo and go over the top real easy. Your big gimmick is an 8/8 that dies to removal and a 7/7 that dies to removal, and you usually won't be able to pop Talir on the turn you land it. To reach that point you'd have to give the other decks a lot of time and I can't see that working out well, with the lack of removal for bombs. 2 Deathstrikes are the only pieces of removal that can hit a big multi-influence bomb. The games I won with the deck usually came from the high quality creatures in comparison to the other decks. Mask and Talir weren't really doing much.

Plus the deck has 34 non-ramp sources of power. It's absurd overkill even for a Mask deck and flood is real.

Which is not to say that it's not one of the more decent decks available, but that is hardly a ringing endorsement. After starting with the Stonescar Sac deck, every other deck has been a letdown. Well, except Knuckles, but you'd need absurd levels of luck to hit 7 wins with it, but hey, Knuckles.