Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Instigator was extremely broken for a year but crucially was allowed to hit your face without deciding the game (in fact the card was only strong because of how difficult it is to stop a 2 power 3/3 from hitting your face, repeatedly). Still was the best card in the game for a very very long time and was much worse than teacher is.

Idk if time is as op as stonescar was in general, probably not, but the teacher design is something devs just can't stop putting in their games for some insane reason even though it is not what anyone finds enjoyable about card games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Time is pretty easily hated out, because its strong point is just big dumb units. Pack some card advantage, removal that kills the units efficiently, and enough ways to answer Teacher/Dawnwalker, and there's not a ton they can do. I already feel like I've been seeing way fewer traditional Time midrange decks since the set release.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Given that the entirety of my experience from Set 3 to the release of Set 4 was game after game after game after game of control decks running more or less zero units and just piles of removal and board wipes, I'm 100% in favor of anything that punishes them. If teacher makes control players angry, excuse me while I build a teacher-copying mirror image deck.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

No Wave posted:

Instigator was extremely broken for a year but crucially was allowed to hit your face without deciding the game (in fact the card was only strong because of how difficult it is to stop a 2 power 3/3 from hitting your face, repeatedly). Still was the best card in the game for a very very long time and was much worse than teacher is.

Idk if time is as op as stonescar was in general, probably not, but the teacher design is something devs just can't stop putting in their games for some insane reason even though it is not what anyone finds enjoyable about card games.

Before the release of set4 a lot of decks were relying on Hailstorm as their first interactive play of the game and there wasn't really much to punish that line of play. I think Teacher is probably pushed a bit too far, but it is certainly forcing decks to play more copies of Torch / Permafrost / Annihilate which I think is healthy for the meta. I've even been on the receiving end of a couple Suffocates which was a nice tech touch to combat Teacher midrange. The worst was when someone was able to Madness my teacher on turn 3 when I was on the draw. After the first couple of days I have not landed too many Weights.

I guess I see Teacher as meta warping but not necessarily breaking. Personally, I'd probably like to see her as a 3/2 or have the Weights only add 2 to the cost of extra cards instead of 3. I'd say winning combat with basically every two drop AND having a potentially game swinging Infiltrate are probably too much for a single card.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Nighthand posted:

Given that the entirety of my experience from Set 3 to the release of Set 4 was game after game after game after game of control decks running more or less zero units and just piles of removal and board wipes, I'm 100% in favor of anything that punishes them. If teacher makes control players angry, excuse me while I build a teacher-copying mirror image deck.

This is my feelings on Teacher too. I have yet to craft one but she's now number one on my list of things to craft and build around. She's also nice for the lower ranks, in some bizarre way, because agro is back in a big way. But with that I can tech in a lightning storm and have a chance opposed to just eating poo poo while the opponent plays solitaire and constantly tells me "No you can't play the game."

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've seen a few various control/aggro/midrange decks, but are there any dedicated combo decks in Eternal? Stuff like Magic's Splinter Twin (ex-Modern) or Inside Out (Pauper) that are focused on getting out a combo and winning with it.

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013

Aranan posted:

I've seen a few various control/aggro/midrange decks, but are there any dedicated combo decks in Eternal? Stuff like Magic's Splinter Twin (ex-Modern) or Inside Out (Pauper) that are focused on getting out a combo and winning with it.

There's a couple combo decks, but they tend to be 3 - 5 card combos that are slow and can be vulnerable to interaction. Market might've made them a little more viable?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Aranan posted:

The two that have gotten any kind traction lately are First Flame+Dramatist's Mask and "Infect" style decks. The First Flame combo involves playing a deck of nothing but token generators, other spells, and the First Flame legendary. The combo is: spawn a token, slap the Mask on it, then it will dig for First Flame and bring it out with Charge and its Tribute active. Infect relies on cards like Rilgon's Disciple, a few other "spells matter" and/or Berserk units, and a whole lot of pump spells to spike a whole lot of damage early in the game. First Flame has proven inconsistent, but Infect seems to have some legs in Hooru colors.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The latter deck sounds a lot like the pauper Kiln Fiend deck. I'll have to look into it. :)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

can we stab the person that called them Infect decks instead of Prowess, the magic ability that it is actually patterned off of?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Aranan posted:

The latter deck sounds a lot like the pauper Kiln Fiend deck. I'll have to look into it. :)

Berserk in general seems to be the big mechanic for Aggro this set. I've seen a 4 color variant that goes all in on the Infect plan and I've also seen a Skycrag Aggro that incorporates some of that plan but doesn't go all in on the spells-matter theme. It's taking some time to solidify, but the speed increase is going to be key to get under sweepers from the Market.

By the way: I've gotten in my week 2 packs: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/8XtbVBktQNc/season-20-week-2-pool

New highlights include Trail Maker (Meaning I have proper splashes now in a lot of different colors) and possibly Duskwalker (if I stay in Xenan). I'm kinda looking at Combrei splash Fire for the Merchant and Rizhan, but I'm not sure how to build that. Any opinions here? Previously, I was running Xenan splashing Primal for the Acolyte, Withering Witch, and the Cobalt Monument.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 10, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lone Goat posted:

can we stab the person that called them Infect decks instead of Prowess, the magic ability that it is actually patterned off of?

It's called Infect because it's based around using Double Damage/Berserk so that your pump spells only need to count half as high as normal.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Which is dumb because prowess also makes use of those effects. They should really be called 9 land stompy because that was the first deck to abuse growth effects with beserk.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Got owned by a combo deck reducing the cost of Recurring Nightmare to 0 and playing thst Yeti that makes units hit for 1 when ETB, scooped when he Nightmare reached 128.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Tubgoat posted:

Got owned by a combo deck reducing the cost of Recurring Nightmare to 0 and playing thst Yeti that makes units hit for 1 when ETB, scooped when he Nightmare reached 128.

Fun, but inconsistent, and often requires a lot of factions to run. Also stopped by a lot of fast removal.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Roluth posted:

Fun, but inconsistent, and often requires a lot of factions to run. Also stopped by a lot of fast removal.

An alternate version that isn't necessarily an OTK, but only requires two colors, is the yeti with west-wind herald and mirror image. Off an empty board that's 12 damage in a turn; with two yetis it's 22.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Y'know what, Alessi looks like a really good card. 1TJ 1/1 that gets +1/+1 and 1 armor for face for each spell you cast. There's a version of Moment that runs her plus Crownwatch Pressgang to fetch her, and there's a new TJP Infect/Miracle variant that runs her. She's pretty much the definition of a tempo card, and looks really fun to play.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Roluth posted:

Y'know what, Alessi looks like a really good card. 1TJ 1/1 that gets +1/+1 and 1 armor for face for each spell you cast. There's a version of Moment that runs her plus Crownwatch Pressgang to fetch her, and there's a new TJP Infect/Miracle variant that runs her. She's pretty much the definition of a tempo card, and looks really fun to play.
I've been looking at a new deck to grind towards and this has been sparking my eye.

I'm a huge fan of decision trees and cheap costing spells. I like a deck where you have to shift a bunch of moving parts around to set up for a crucial turn, in MTG I go for things like storm. In eternal I loved carpet shuffle, but it seems pretty dead now. Anyone got other suggestions?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Mister Olympus posted:

An alternate version that isn't necessarily an OTK, but only requires two colors, is the yeti with west-wind herald and mirror image. Off an empty board that's 12 damage in a turn; with two yetis it's 22.

I've been running FPS Scream with this. The cost is pretty low: 3 yeti maindeck (which are great with Infiltrate anyway), Mirror Image and Herald in the market. Being able to grab two combo pieces in one go by copying a merchant is a nice upside.

The yeti with First Flame is also a combo, but I'm not sure if that one is an OTK or stops when your board is full.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Aranan posted:

Carpet Shuffle is kinda the only deck I can recal that had a real kill combo that it played towards but it got murked by the trailblazer nerf.

It's kinda weird that we don't really have combo decks in eternal given how many cards seem interesting and powerful in theory. I guess it's part of the design though that certain cards are made with too many hoops to jump through for a true combo deck to abuse them. Like The Last Word has some real juicy text for otk but good luck getting that to ever happen. I was thinking that the merchants would enable some form of combo but so far I haven't found or seen it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tin Tim posted:

It's kinda weird that we don't really have combo decks in eternal given how many cards seem interesting and powerful in theory. I guess it's part of the design though that certain cards are made with too many hoops to jump through for a true combo deck to abuse them. Like The Last Word has some real juicy text for otk but good luck getting that to ever happen.

I have whacked people in the face with an activated Last Word many times, my friend

(usually in a derivative of one of Pojo's Mask/New Tomorrow ramp decks, as one of the stupidly good things you can do once you have 20+ power)

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I've definitely been killed by a deck that was a FJS removal package with The Last Word instead of Icaria as the win condition. It's not really combo though, it's just control + a finisher, same as any control.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I think I hate Sealed in Eternal. Two months in a row with a below average pool.
5-5 again this week. The games don't even feel fun or like i'm making any decisions. Either someone is far ahead by turn 4-5 or the board stalls and whoever draws their bomb first wins. I've conceded multiple times at 20+ life when my opponent played a bomb (Slimespitter slug, the new 6/5 lifesteal flyer that bolts something on summon) after dealing with my removal/deadly creatures.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 10, 2018

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I was into it the first two months. Last month I ended up not playing half my games and this month I haven't even signed up yet.

Gotta get those sweet card backs though!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/EternalCardGame/status/1016713233724567552

its Doorbots time to shine.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So, I have made two decks:

One is just a similar Xenan splash Primal deck to last week: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/jbCTsG9OiME/season-20-week-2-tsp-proposal

The other is a Combrei splash Fire deck made out of dreams. My goal is to draw Rizhan from market while Alhed is out. https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/16L4ufBaCuU/season-20-week-2-tjf-proposal-dumb

I should probably go with the Xenan one...but...

Here's my full pool: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/8XtbVBktQNc/season-20-week-2-pool

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

This was real fun last time, even though (or perhaps even because?) there was an obvious "level 0" sand warrior aggro deck. Will be real interesting to see what pops up now that that's no longer a thing.

Usually the most interesting part is what non-spells people choose to run.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I'm wanting to get into this game. I come from a magic background and just finished playing the tutorial. What is a top tier hard control deck that I should build? I don't mind spending money.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Control hasn't been doing great at the moment. It's all aggro and mid range. You can try a Chalice deck maybe.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Thats kind of a bummer. Are there any tempo style decks similar to delver decks in mtg?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How does Delver play? There's kind of a general issue with the game where a lot of units and removal are extremely pushed so a lot of decks are able to have insane tempo swings. For example: Torch is a 1 mana instant that deals 3 damage, Permafrost costs 1 and stops any unit without endurance, Annihilate kills a mono colored unit at instant speed for 2, Vanquish kills a unit with 4 or higher attack for 2, Heart of the Vault is a 6 mana 6/6 that deals 2 damage when summoned plus draws you a card and reduces its cost by 2, etc etc

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Basically it just plays a cheap minion early on and supports it with counterspells, removal, and card draw. I suppose I'm not going to find anything exactly like a magic deck I like.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Also note that a new set just dropped, which tends to favor aggro. Hard control decks we're top tier until rather recently.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, counter spells are weak and removal is strong. So your units will be extremely easy to remove. You probably won't find a deck like that. If you're looking for aggro Skycrag is the best deck at the moment imo.

Aggressive combrei decks use stand together to protect its units on a key turn and then quickly snowballs a win I guess.

ItBreathes posted:

Also note that a new set just dropped, which tends to favor aggro. Hard control decks we're top tier until rather recently.

I think Feln kind of fell out of favor before the latest set dropped. I guess weapon style decks were still doing ok-ish if that counts as hard control? I'm not sure. In general the game has so many powerful must kill units that it's pretty risky playing grindy style control decks. Most of them stabilize around 8-10 mana and then try to win the game over a couple turns to minimize the chance of suddenly running out of removal and dying to all the really strong units in the game.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 11, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The two points aren't directly related, Feln and Icaria blue fell off before the new set but were top tier, and new metas always favor aggro at first. And I'm not sure what you'd call a deck looking to stabilize at 10 power other than a control deck, no matter how strong the finisher(s).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jabor posted:

This was real fun last time, even though (or perhaps even because?) there was an obvious "level 0" sand warrior aggro deck. Will be real interesting to see what pops up now that that's no longer a thing.

I found it extremely not fun for that exact reason.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

bamhand posted:

Control hasn't been doing great at the moment. It's all aggro and mid range. You can try a Chalice deck maybe.
Isn't there some mutli-color removal pile deck that just aims to kill everything and then play sword of the sky king at the end or did that stop working all of a sudden?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

ItBreathes posted:

And I'm not sure what you'd call a deck looking to stabilize at 10 power other than a control deck, no matter how strong the finisher(s).

I guess I was differentiating between Chalice where you grind people out of stuff to play vs Icaria where you want to hit 7 power and then immediately murder them with Icaria.

Tin Tim posted:

Isn't there some mutli-color removal pile deck that just aims to kill everything and then play sword of the sky king at the end or did that stop working all of a sudden?

Teacher of Humility happened. Any deck that runs card draw (i.e. all control decks) need to be able to answer her on two or pretty much just lose.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ItBreathes posted:

The two points aren't directly related, Feln and Icaria blue fell off before the new set but were top tier, and new metas always favor aggro at first.

You guys keep saying feln etc went away before the new set, but I played quite a lot in the runup to the new set and it seemed like every. loving. deck. on ladder or in the "earn some FoA packs" event was some form of "you don't get to play the game" hard control, and it was mostly feln or feln-adjacent.

This is why Teacher of Humility is a good card, actually. No nerf required. DWD pushed control archetypes for so long that the game was getting to be very not-fun, unless you liked playing Card Cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Weird I felt like Feln got weaker and weaker and almost completely faded away after the Varra nerf. Just play time units and you'll give them fits. With no AoE they can't possible remove all of 4x(Dawnwalker, Titan, Ascendant, Worldbearer, Rhinox, Heart). Their only hope of winning is getting a fully powered up Feln Champion by turn 6 ish and flying in for the win there.