Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

It's time to Katra.

Hope this works well. Katra + Umbren is one way to win, as well as Stik and Serasaur in their own rights.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I've been loving Preserver of Dualities in limited and will start first picking it if the rare's no good.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

But yeah, grenadins are probably the best tribe even though they're mostly used just as tribute fodder and cheap bodies. Kennadins is prob the funnest deck in the format though, and is actually possible to ladder with!

Speaking of, have you tried one of the new Dark Kennadins variants? The shadow lets you play New New Jekk, because turns out that both the infiltrate (creates a Bad News) and the tribute (kill an enemy unit) fit into the Kennadin plan quite nicely. It's been good for me so far.

So far I'd say the big weakness of Kennadin is that it's even more reliant on having Grenadin tokens and a sacrifice outlet than the old Gearcruncher / Scraptank pure grenadin decks were. I've gotten destroyed both by relic hate and decks that run a billion sweepers.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I honestly don't know what to play in Standard ATM.

Any suggestions?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Any good Kalis decks out there? Should I go Time based for Vault of the Praxis shenanigans or Stonescar for consistency?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Gridlocked posted:

Any suggestions?

Are you looking for good, successful decks, or questionable brews? I definitely have some of the latter!

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Any suggestions?

Look up Kennadin on eternalwarcry.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Draft posted:

1 Bloodcall Invocation (Set2 #203)
1 Cult Aspirant (Set2 #35)
1 Entrancer (Set4 #51)
1 Excavate (Set1 #71)
1 Gloaming Wisp (Set3 #55)
1 Grenamender (Set3 #204)
1 Harbinger's Bite (Set4 #194)
1 Infinite Hourglass (Set1 #67)
1 Journey Guide (Set4 #53)
1 Predator's Instinct (Set1 #75)
1 Slow (Set1 #70)
1 Spitefeeder (Set4 #197)
2 Vara's Intervention (Set3 #207)
1 Water of Life (Set1 #68)
1 Abduct (Set4 #199)
1 Back-Alley Delinquent (Set4 #200)
1 Disjunction (Set3 #63)
1 Fearbinder (Set4 #203)
1 Grenadin Bellower (Set3 #214)
1 Sleeping Draught (Set3 #218)
1 Unseen Agent (Set3 #219)
1 Cabal Countess (Set1 #506)
1 Daggerclaw Howler (Set4 #215)
1 Deft Strike (Set4 #71)
1 Dispel (Set1 #91)
1 Gravetender (Set4 #72)
1 Lastlight Infusion (Set3 #68)
1 Wurmcalling (Set4 #76)
1 Xenan Destroyer (Set1 #281)
1 Corrupted Umbren (Set4 #225)
1 Duskwalker (Set3 #271)
1 Gathering Lights (Set4 #78)
1 Katra, the Devoted (Set2 #208)
1 Preserver of Dualities (Set4 #267)
1 Sandspout Mirage (Set4 #83)
1 Spiteful Lumen (Set4 #84)
1 Vile Varmint (Set4 #233)
1 Betray the Cause (Set4 #234)
1 Umbren Coaxer (Set3 #238)
1 Lumen Shepherd (Set1 #117)
1 Mistress of Light (Set4 #92)
2 Reality Shift (Set4 #94)
I feel like I drafted a bit better this time around, didn't see much to try and build 2 colors until the second pack. So I just tried to stay Time and see what I could do from there. Went super hard into TS p2 and didn't look back. Only other cards are some legendary red weapon, 2 rambots and something else that wasn't important. However, I'm still learning when it comes to drafting in general.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Got I believe my first 7-win with this Draft:
code:
1 Oni Ronin (Set1 #13)
1 Torch (Set1 #8)
1 Unstable Form (Set1 #189)
1 Fearless Yeti (Set3 #161)
1 Flamebelcher (Set4 #10)
1 Iceberg Hailshrieker (Set4 #157)
2 Snowfort Trumpeter (Set4 #161)
1 Torrential Downpour (Set4 #163)
1 Violent Gust (Set1 #205)
1 Advance Scout (Set4 #165)
1 Granite Acolyte (Set1 #31)
3 Lethrai Darkstalker (Set4 #170)
1 Magus of Celerity (Set4 #241)
1 Skysnapper (Set1 #208)
1 Tundra Explorer (Set1 #204)
1 Guerrilla Fighter (Set1 #36)
1 Welding Torch (Set4 #36)
1 Wurmstone (Set4 #86)
1 Yeti Troublemaker (Set1 #222)
1 Fiery Fissure (Set4 #38)
1 Jotun Hurler (Set1 #227)
1 Pit Fighter (Set2 #27)
1 Speardiver (Set4 #185)
1 End of Hostilities (Set4 #187)
1 Pyre Elemental (Set4 #45)
6 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
3 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
8 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
(1 loss, got Valk'ed)

It was absolutely worth splashing for the Wurmstone. Funnily enough, the card that led me to splash (the Magus) barely showed up.

I also had a match where I won by being able to play Torrential Downpour + Snowball to face + sacrificing Hailshrieker

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
This week's packs have me running a Fire/Primal/Shadow deck in League and so far I've played four games and won three (though the last one... he conceded even though he had the very likely win). I'm up in the top 2000 now at 5-9. Nice.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I finally got around to crafting 4x Teacher of Humility.

I have now gone 25 games without seeing a control deck while playing with them, except one game where I proceeded to not draw them.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Nighthand posted:

I finally got around to crafting 4x Teacher of Humility.

I have now gone 25 games without seeing a control deck while playing with them, except one game where I proceeded to not draw them.

Sure, but even against aggro and midrange a 3/3 for 2 is pretty drat good.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Oddly enough, it just eats torch immediately and gets me nowhere while I'm overrun, but I get the theory.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

As a sometimes red aggro player, burning a torch on turn 2 doesn't feel good. It keeps you from advancing the board and hampers your curve quite a bit.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

eSporks posted:

As a sometimes red aggro player, burning a torch on turn 2 doesn't feel good. It keeps you from advancing the board and hampers your curve quite a bit.

Yep. At the very least, it's 3 damage that can't go face or add up with a minion to delete a larger threat later on. But the tempo loss can be a really big deal too.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

That's cool and all, but if you still win, who cares how bad it feels for 10 seconds.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I think I'm bad at drafting tried 2 forges and have only won 1 game. I can do okay in casual though.

People said to spend your starting gold in surge is that still the right advice?

The getting kicked to 2 colours is weird. The first time I didn't see it mention that before I clicked a serving colour and hated my combo.

The second time I just drafted a bad deck. No real synergy or ability to get to a bomb.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 9, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For forge specifically, the ai never bluff attacks (it's always either got a trick, or has lethal over a few turns by going around your blockers), and it never plays around your own fast spells. Keep those in mind as you play, and it also raises the value of picking up a couple of fast spells while you're building your deck. (don't go overboard on it though)

Other than that it's just general advice of pick good cards and make sure you have a solid curve. It's difficult to get real synergy going in forge, and you don't get to speculatively pick something and then not play it if it doesn't get there - so you should try to take cards that are good all-rounders unless there's a substantial power difference or you already have the synergy to make a more niche card work.

If you record your runs and post a video people can point out where you're picking the wrong card or making bad plays or whatever.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Just got a decent r/b deck and aced my forge. That reckless warcry 6/6 does good work.

I do have some questions in drafting I can't seem to find answers on. Do I need to commit like 2 hours to it? How are the games set up? Did it just do all of them back to back? Do I get more choices then in forge?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

something is very wrong, holy gently caress. I went 9-1 this week for a total of 11-9 so far.

This is what's working for me, somehow. I have no idea how I went from being mauled without mercy to something actually working.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cerepol posted:

Just got a decent r/b deck and aced my forge. That reckless warcry 6/6 does good work.

I do have some questions in drafting I can't seem to find answers on. Do I need to commit like 2 hours to it? How are the games set up? Did it just do all of them back to back? Do I get more choices then in forge?

drafting is asynchronous, packs are basically generated based on picks that other draft players have made in the past. you're not going up against people "in your draft pool" like in Magic, but you can still "read signals" etc because the cards taken from your draft packs were actually drafted by other real people. there's no time constraint and you can take as long as you want to draft and as long as you want to play out your games. You're picking cards from a full pack (or what's left of it) and you draft more cards than you actually put in your deck so you get a lot more choices and a lot more flexibility than in forge. You pick your own power card distribution and stuff like you would with a constructed deck, too

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Cerepol posted:

You dont have to play all your draft games at once, you can stop and come back days later. the games are just like ranked but with your drafted deck, 7 wins or 3 loses whichever comes first. Forge has 30 picks i believe and a draft is 4 packs of 12 though the last card in a pack isnt much of a choice so 44 picks.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Matsuri posted:

something is very wrong, holy gently caress. I went 9-1 this week for a total of 11-9 so far.

This is what's working for me, somehow. I have no idea how I went from being mauled without mercy to something actually working.

You’ve got removal, solid early game that isn’t useless later on and Knucklebones. That’s pretty much the holy trinity for Sealed.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Matsuri posted:

I've worked something else out with this pool: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/3HwmmsbsKhU/season-21-week-2-xenan-for-framboise

Full pool for context: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/XL2Q0bVyb3I/framboise-league-pool-8-9-2018

Combrei could also be good. Free splash if Time is main faction due to Herbalist + Trail + Seek. Generally, 3 sources is enough to splash some 1-influence stuff.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Roluth posted:

I've worked something else out with this pool: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/3HwmmsbsKhU/season-21-week-2-xenan-for-framboise

Full pool for context: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/XL2Q0bVyb3I/framboise-league-pool-8-9-2018

Combrei could also be good. Free splash if Time is main faction due to Herbalist + Trail + Seek. Generally, 3 sources is enough to splash some 1-influence stuff.

Need more than 2 Primal sources for 3 splashed cards, should probably run 3 sigils +seek

Oh I missed trail maker. I would still run one more Primal sigil

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 9, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cerepol posted:

The way that draft works is you open a 12 card pack and take a card from it,
then you'll get an 11 card pack that's missing a card that someone else took from it, and take a card from it
then you'll get a 10 card pack that's missing 2 cards that two people took from it, and take a card for it,
etc,
until you end up with a pack with just 1 card in it, which you get for free.

Then you'll open another 12 card pack and that process repeats itself. Then you do that for a 3rd pack, then a 4th. Cards picked go into your collection, just like they do in Forge. So you end up with a draft pool of 4*12=48 cards total.

Pack 3 will come from the same people that sent you pack 1, so if they're passing you a lot of good cards of a certain faction in pack 1, then ideally they will do the same for pack 3. Pack 2 will come from a different set of people, and there's an internal algorithm that decides who that will be based on the cards you didn't pick in Pack 1. Pack 4 will come from the same people as pack 2.

So you're going to draft 48 cards total and from those you build a minimum 45 card deck, including Power. General consensus is you play 17-18 power in your draft deck, barring weird circumstances. So you'll be playing slightly over half the cards you take. The game will give you as many Sigils as you need to build your deck.

There is no time commitment, you can draft them all at once, or draft some now and some next week, or you could draft 1 card a day for 48 days, or whatever. Then when you're done drafting you build your deck and can queue up against other human opponents, like you would in Ranked/Casual. Like the drafting process, you can take as long as you like to do this. You play until you get to 7 wins or 3 losses. Prize is based on how many wins you get, with chests upgrading after each win, like gauntlet, though the rate is way better (0 wins is two silver chests, 7 wins is three diamond chests). You're allowed to change the configuration of your deck between games.

Currently, the packs you open are:

The Fall of Argenport (Set 4)
Curated Pack
Curated Pack
The Fall of Argenport (Set 4)

in that order. Curated packs are a mix of cards from sets 1-3, and the possible contents of those are listed here.

Here's a video of a streamer I like doing a draft if you want a demonstration.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Oh is rhino back to drafting? He did stop for a while and that was a bummer because I really liked watching his drafts. Probably the best streamer if you wanna learn and challenge your own decisions because he talks through almost every pick/play

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Sorry I should have mentioned I'm familiar with drafting just not the card pool or how eternal implements it. It costs 5k gold which is most of what I currently have so I was gunshy on starting it in case I needed to sit around for a few hours playing matches

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cerepol posted:

Sorry I should have mentioned I'm familiar with drafting just not the card pool or how eternal implements it. It costs 5k gold which is most of what I currently have so I was gunshy on starting it in case I needed to sit around for a few hours playing matches

are you already in the monthly sealed league? if you're new I'd recommend saving up for that first since the gold:cards payoff is way better. it's fine if you start late, you'll still get to play all your games for the month. 12500 gold entry, but it's worth saving up for.

also don't you get a free draft ticket as part of the onboarding process? or is that a referral bonus? I forget.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

are you already in the monthly sealed league? if you're new I'd recommend saving up for that first since the gold:cards payoff is way better. it's fine if you start late, you'll still get to play all your games for the month. 12500 gold entry, but it's worth saving up for.

also don't you get a free draft ticket as part of the onboarding process? or is that a referral bonus? I forget.

I thought you got a free ticket both for new accounts and as a referral bonus.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

No I haven't seen it yet, which option is it from the main menu? Would it count as "Event"? That has been greyed out since I started playing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cerepol posted:

No I haven't seen it yet, which option is it from the main menu? Would it count as "Event"? That has been greyed out since I started playing.

Play a couple ranked games and it'll unlock

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

surprise nerf, Answer the Call now costs 7.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
It's a good nerf, but I don't like idea of the devs doing unannounced card changes.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

It's a good nerf, but I don't like idea of the devs doing unannounced card changes.

At least you get your stones back in full.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Only if you crafted them. Which actually makes sense and is fair. But also seems remarkably petty for a game that's so generous in other ways.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

lazerwolf posted:

At least you get your stones back in full.

Sucks if you crafted Kalebs, Diogos, etc. for the deck though.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah if you crafted the card you get a full refund on stone.

Honestly I prefer surprise nerfs as opposed to like Hearthstone where they just sit on their hands for half a year

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Nibble posted:

Sucks if you crafted Kalebs, Diogos, etc. for the deck though.

Charge rod is still a deck without answer the call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

Yeah if you crafted the card you get a full refund on stone.

Honestly I prefer surprise nerfs as opposed to like Hearthstone where they just sit on their hands for half a year

I mean, I'm super glad that Direwolf is on the ball with quick adjustments, but is a news post a day in advance, or even an hour before, that much to ask for?
Neither their news blog nor their twitter account has posted about the changes yet.